WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool pump won't prime

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Never used to be a problem but lately, I empty the filter basket, even put water in there, close the lid tight (yes, gasket is in place) and the pump won't prime.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this issue? I'm used to emptying the basket, putting water in the housing, putting the lid on tight and presto - pump primed and running.

hallett3

Reaction score
I had this problem and my pressure valve on my filter had a air leak so no pressure so it wouldn’t prime. Also when’s the last time you cleaned your filters . Could be really dirty and won’t prime also. Won’t flow thru the system correctly.

1homeblown

Reaction score
Getting air in the filter?
Is it the two piece lid? The ring with clear insert/o-ring? I think it’s called pool pump skimmer basket lid...

The clear piece on mine was cracked. Replaced it and it’s good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AQUA-HOLICS

Reaction score
If the pool equipment is located higher than the pool water level and a check valve is installed in the plumbing system the check valve is allowing water to back flow though the plumbing back to the pool when the system is opened up. This is where I would start, if no check valve is on the system installing one should correct the need to add water every time the pump lid is opened. Hope this helps, Ray

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Turn stuff on and change the suction side from pool to spa and see if you get prime quicker. If so, you have issues on the pool side: blockage, leak, etc

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Kalifornia Karma😊
I'd check the check valve or what JB suggested to diagnose.

C-2

Reaction score
Your shaft seal may be out. If it's a Pentair it's a pretty easy fix - buy the OEM plate and new shaft seal and gaskets. About an hiur fix - just be sure not to strip the threads.

YouTube it out

JSquared

M31
Reaction score
Had this happen recently. The pump seal looked good, but the cap had a small crack. Put Saran Wrap between the cap and Body before I put the cap back on and it primed fine. New cap with gasket was 70.00.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
What JB said
Could be bad gasket / oring on pump
Could be bad oring on valve in front of pump
Could be pump ran dry and cooked adapter inlet or outlet fittings on pump
Could be leaves / debris in skimmer suction line
Could be temp sensor between pump and filter bad oring letting air in
Could be basket in pump got hole or installed wrong and debris got into the veins of impeller
Could be xxxxx, xxxx, xxxxx , xxxx etc....

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Are you lubing the o-ring before you tighten the lid? No mention so thought I'd ask, you might be sucking air if it isn't lubed.