WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool replaster -School me

rickym20

Reaction score
We have to have the pool redone in Havasu Soon. Looking to try and get it done after snow birds leave end of March and before VRBO rentals start mid April if possible. The current plaster is coming off sporadically in small chunks here and there.

While we are getting this done we also wanted to see about adding a pool heater (Gas) , but that’s a different topic. Is there anything that would be best to add while doing this process or is it as simple as just blasting and redo plaster. Was going to reach out to Desert Storm pools to see if they are interested in this type of work. It seems they have been kicking ass on some of your guys pool.

Only picture I have but you get the visual of type of pool.
D5BF9E32-4752-40C5-A72E-71CA6C17CF60.jpeg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Ad a table and sitting area would be on my list, that and you could extend the sitting shelf all the way around or add a baja shelf

fmo24

Reaction score
Get ready for the snow ball. Tile is biggest jump after type of plaster lol.

4Waters

Reaction score
Add a couple of PVC pipes in that long seat so you can put umbrellas in there and chill in the shade. Figure out what size umbrellas you are going to use and put the PVC in accordingly as to how many you will put in or use. You have to get aluminum poles, DO NOT use wood.

20200212_164838.jpg

20200212_164949.jpg

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Most pool companies just use Big Blasters
They do a great job. On time and do what they say
They even did our tile
They added baja shelf and some other reconstruction and like others have said just add PVC for umbrellas
We went with 2" PVC for larger umbrellas and just use a reducer for the smaller ones

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
My pool needs the same. Was planning a 2 level shelf, 12" & 24" . Find the plastering company directly, saves you a few grand.

TCHB

Reaction score
We do not use our Baja shelf much because it is to shallow to get under the water. When it is hot you want to be under the water To keep cool. Our Henderson home has pebble tech smooth and our Havasu home has a quartz finish (blue).

rickym20

Reaction score
Ad a table and sitting area would be on my list, that and you could extend the sitting shelf all the way around or add a baja shelf
I like the idea of extending the sitting shelf , maybe just by shallow area since people like to jump in on deep side and I’d be afraid of hitting it by a bad dive(drinking ) .

Add a couple of PVC pipes in that long seat so you can put umbrellas in there and chill in the shade. Figure out what size umbrellas you are going to use and put the PVC in accordingly as to how many you will put in or use. You have to get aluminum poles, DO NOT use wood.

View attachment 844312

View attachment 844313

great Idea, will definitely add those! Thank you

rickym20

Reaction score
We do not use our Baja shelf much because it is to shallow to get under the water. When it is hot you want to be under the water To keep cool. Our Henderson home has pebble tech smooth and our Havasu home has a quartz finish (blue).
Since you have both Finishes , do you like one over the other?

TCHB

Reaction score
Since you have both Finishes , do you like one over the other?
[/QUOTE
I like the look of the blue quartz better than the pebble Tech. I would pick the blue quartz plaster.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I like the baja step too. I plop down those Walmart plastic Adirondak style chairs on it. Sit mostly in the water and enjoy the view.

rickym20

Reaction score
For you guys with the Baja step, how long is the step? Just trying to see if it works with this size pool. I have to guess the size of this pool being roughly 14 x 25 ft. I like the idea just wasn’t sure I had the option here.

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
For you guys with the Baja step, how long is the step? Just trying to see if it works with this size pool. I have to guess the size of this pool being roughly 14 x 25 ft. I like the idea just wasn’t sure I had the option here.

Good size one on mine.
rd1.jpg
rd2.jpg

boatpi

Reaction score
Years ago in Havasu I used Big Blasters, a good ca$h deal. I would re do the tile, it is very dated. A simple update like that changes the entire back yard.

rickym20

Reaction score
Years ago in Havasu I used Big Blasters, a good ca$h deal. I would re do the tile, it is very dated. A simple update like that changes the entire back yard.
Thank you, just looked them up and will reach out to them as well to hopefully work out the cash deal .

snowboat

Reaction score
Tropical Pools with Ray Gillespie. Medium blue mini pebble tek with abalone, for a nice sparkle.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
As previously mentioned, Big Blasters. Go straight through Big Blasters. Other wise most Havasu guys will sub out to them anyway. And you end up paying a middle man.

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
I had my pool replastered in Havasu a couple months ago, went with NPT brand of mini pebble finish midnight blue color. Mohave Pools did the the demo and tile, they use a company out of Phoenix to do the plaster work and it came out nice. Typical pool, baja step, table (replaced crumbling tile table with Tazo crete table). I wanted something other than standard plaster, talked to Big Blasters and they push you toward the white plaster with blue quartz which is fine if thats what you want, just not for me.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
This thread needs more pics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I still haven’t moved forward w anything for Havasu.
Big blasters is the main plaster and Shotcrete guys in town. Calling direct may or may not save you money. Builders get better prices so the end user is usaully paying similar cost regardless who you use.

I suggest not using a newer company for that work. Warranty on Pebble w most guys is 10 years. You want to make sure who ever you use will still be around in 10 years if for some reason you have an issue.

Mini Pebble or pebble sheen will get you the most life out of finish
Quartz would be second
Plaster is more of a budget finish or just old school customers that like the look.
As far as baja sizes, depends on use. If putting lounge chairs you’ll want at least 4 ft from coping edge to outside face of Baja. Lounge chair will hang over edge but legs should be good on Baja. Wide usually best if you can at least get 8ft to fit 2 chairs w some space. Larger equals more chairs or loungers or area for little ones to play.

rickym20

Reaction score
Reached out to Big Blasters and they had the house in their file from a quote I’m assuming by the old owners before they sold the property to my Dad. Got the replaster and basic tiles they are at $7,300. Plus tax. Kinda where my mind was at so it seemed fair.
At one time my Dad has a bunch of koi fish in a pond in his back yard that I believe he gave to Ray at Tropical pools And he had quoted my Dad a similar price but I don’t know what finishes they were talking about.
Since this house is wrapped up in probate and the future of how it all comes out in the end , We probably will just jump on the Big Blasters quote. Will do the umbrella holes though for sure. Thank you guys for taking the time to share some knowledge.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
And btw use umbrella sleeves. Plaster companies have them in any color to match your finish. They have a bottom to them and also a removable cap/cover that can be replaced. Most Plaster companies include for free unless holes need chipping /drilling. Still minimal cost