WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

POOL TILE CLEANING ???

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
I need to get my pool tile cleaned. Anyone have any suggestions as to which type of cleaning to do? Old style (sand blast?) Soda Ash ???? Also, anyone have a Company to recommend to me? I'm draining some of the pool water now and realized that the Pumice Stone cleaning isn't working as good as I would like so oI guess that it is time to break out the $$$ and have someone do it right.:cool:D

Thanks, Steve

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I need to get my pool tile cleaned. Anyone have any suggestions as to which type of cleaning to do? Old style (sand blast?) Soda Ash ???? Also, anyone have a Company to recommend to me? I'm draining some of the pool water now and realized that the Pumice Stone cleaning isn't working as good as I would like so oI guess that it is time to break out the $$$ and have someone do it right.:cool:D

Thanks, Steve

PM JScarab

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Is his first name Jeff? Do you know what type of product he used?

Thanks, Steve

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
His name is Jesse. I believe he soda blasts it. He is going to do mine shortly.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Is his first name Jeff? Do you know what type of product he used?

Thanks, Steve

His name is Jessie

He uses glass beads for blasting. I've known Jessie many years and he does pools from LHC to BHC. Real good at what he does, honest & fellow boater. He's done some of the members on here and they were very happy with the results.

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Mine has calcium build up something terrible where the Jacuzzi overflows into the pool. They sell a chemical you can use but the guy at the pool supply says it doesn't really work. The pumice stone deal sucks.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Mine has calcium build up something terrible where the Jacuzzi overflows into the pool. They sell a chemical you can use but the guy at the pool supply says it doesn't really work. The pumice stone deal sucks.

Is the pool in LHC or So Cal? Is the overflow tile or rocks?

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
I got a hold of Jessie and he is coming out today to take a look at it. Thanks everyone...

Steve

Universal Elements

Reaction score
So Cal and Tile.

Go to Home Depot and buy a pump chemical sprayer (bleach type), I see them going for $15 - $20. Here it is....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-1-5-gal-Bleach-Sprayer-1415BC/203585588

Get some (@ HD) or if you have Muriatic acid, do a 80% acid to 20% mix in the sprayer (mix well). Do this early in the morning, spray the the tiles where the calcium build up is at. You will see it foam and it will eat the calcium. Then wash it off with a hose/nozzle. Try a small test area first, preferable near the waterline. You are looking for any discoloration in the tile. The only time I have seen problems is with the cheap Chinese tiles people install that are not intended for pools in the first place. It's the same concept as when you have a salt water pool and you use Muriatic acid to clean the cell.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
One more thing, after your done, use this stuff.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Howard-Feed-N-Wax-16-fl-oz-Wood-Polish-and-Conditioner-FW0016/100592963

Buy on of those $2 sponges at HD and apply it to the tile. It will keep the calcium from forming/sticking to the tile. It's cheap, apply it about every 3-4 weeks and your good to go. Whatever you do, do not apply sealants to the tile. That crap work for a while then start to discolor, peel and some are real hard. The calcium builds up on top of the sealant and then the guy who blast your pool will charge 2-3 times to get the stuff off with calcium.

broncomatt

Reaction score
Go to Home Depot and buy a pump chemical sprayer (bleach type), I see them going for $15 - $20. Here it is....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-1-5-gal-Bleach-Sprayer-1415BC/203585588

Get some (@ HD) or if you have Muriatic acid, do a 80% acid to 20% mix in the sprayer (mix well). Do this early in the morning, spray the the tiles where the calcium build up is at. You will see it foam and it will eat the calcium. Then wash it off with a hose/nozzle. Try a small test area first, preferable near the waterline. You are looking for any discoloration in the tile. The only time I have seen problems is with the cheap Chinese tiles people install that are not intended for pools in the first place. It's the same concept as when you have a salt water pool and you use Muriatic acid to clean the cell.

Can you do this while there is water in the pool? I have a salt water pool and was looking for a way to clean the tiles without draining it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I was told by a guy in HAVASU that he won't do it anymore till fall, too hot, worried about the plaster. If that's not the case I want to get ours done, plus we need to change our water anyway.

jscarab

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Pool does not have to be empty to clean the tiles...I would love to give you a quote and answer any questions....Jesse

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Can you do this while there is water in the pool? I have a salt water pool and was looking for a way to clean the tiles without draining it.

The pool needs to be full when doing this. I do it on the spillways, waterfalls and etc. It's quick and does not cost a lot of $$$. If all your tiles (around the pool) has calcium build up, you may need to have it blasted. In Havasu, Bullhead there is no way around it. The water is very hard and the heat just bakes it on. You have to blast the tiles, rocks.

TCHB

Reaction score
I think I used Jesse here in Havasu. He used glass beads which really did a nice job.

jscarab

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Dave, no problem. Will get ahold of you Friday on exact day. Well before memorial.....Jesse.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
The beads are picked up easier when vacuumed afterward. They don't have the same velocity as sand or other medium. Much less aggressive. Less potential tile damage.

TCHB

Reaction score
I was amazed at how nice the glass beads left the tile with no damage.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Pool does not have to be empty to clean the tiles...I would love to give you a quote and answer any questions....Jesse

You know someone in the Palm Desert area?? Salt water pool??

PUMPKIN TITS

Reaction score
I once waited till it was hot out, drained the pool a little then floated in a tube drinking beer. I used, I think 1000 grit wet sand paper, maybe rougher. I don't know if any tile dudes will applaud this but it Worked great for me.