WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool vacs / sweepers

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
We have had the 3 wheel Polaris pool sweep with a booster pump for 20 years. Always worked well. We are starting the resurface of the pool to pebble sheen in a week or so.
Question is
Is there a better or what is the better type of sweep for the pebble type surfaces or does it really make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Best one I've ever had was the basic old school sucking type creeper. I've gone through the two wheel, and 4 wheel suction types and they pretty much just suck. Next purchase will be going back to the basics. The proper amount of hose made a huge difference too.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
We don't have the pebbly stuff but have never had a problem with the one from Pentair, The Rebel. Over 5 years no problems with like was said above the right hose length.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
After 20 years I know the plaster starts to chip away. Our plaster actually looks pretty darn good for the age. The pool sweep was starting to break down the plaster trying crawl up the steps and over the sit bench in the deep end. Didn’t have any issues for 10 -15 years. Just wanting to make sure I’m not going to start chewing up the pebble from the wheels on the Polaris.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I'm on a FB Group and every time that question is asked DOLPHIN pool cleaner is highly recommended - I have not looked in to it....

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The Pool Cleaner is hands down the best. So good Hayward paid a ton of money to purchase.

Times Like These

Reaction score
I have the 4 wheel Pool cleaner, it’s starting to not work so well. Had it rebuilt at Leslie’s, but not the same.

I don’t get the new robobtic pool cleaners. Your supposed to plug it in and remove after use. Seems like it would be a pain. Anyone have experience with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Best sweeper:

Definitely use this no matter what sweeper you use:

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if I wanna pull the trigger on another MX6 or not. Seem to get maybe a few seasons out of them. I had the MX8 before. Went to the MX6 cuz its smaller, half the parts, and still works for my pool size. I need hoses.. The fucking Zodiac hoses are spendy. So now I can get a bundle of them again for like $115 or more.. plus a new drive motor for maybe 40ish....new shoes, 10 to 20. Shit, I can just spend $280 for a brand new one that will give me a bunch of spare hoses too....lol. Might as well get a brand new one.

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
The Pool Cleaner is hands down the best. So good Hayward paid a ton of money to purchase.

Have this one also great sweep

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Another vote for the the pool cleaner I have had many others two navigators kreeper krawlers and the pool cleaner has been the best.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
So the pool cleaner plugs right into the skimmer suction. Which means you guys are putting in and taking it out. ( correct?). How often are you sweeping the pool. I’m used to my pool sweeping a couple hours a day every day.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
I like pressure cleaners if your rightly plumb for them with a booster pump. Polaris work great, less filter cleaning with a fine mesh bag, and also easier to take out and re install then a suction cleaner if you do take the cleaner out of the pool frequently.
If it's suction, the pool cleaner hands down. 2 wheel 4 wheel depends on the pool, size, slope shallow to deep, is it hooked at the skimmer or a designated vac line etc.. The key to any cleaner is the right pressure to a pressure cleaner, proper suction to a suction cleaner. I can't tell you how many times I've been to properties where the pressure or suction is way to much resulting in wearing the cleaner and its parts out and sometimes pump cavitation.
"The pool cleaner", set it at 12 revs per minute and your good. Polaris pressure cleaner 28-29 per minute.
On your Polaris pressure cleaner there's a scrubber on the whip hose. Dont forget to change it when it wears out it does its job.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I like pressure cleaners if your rightly plumb for them with a booster pump. Polaris work great, less filter cleaning with a fine mesh bag, and also easier to take out and re install then a suction cleaner if you do take the cleaner out of the pool frequently.
If it's suction, the pool cleaner hands down. 2 wheel 4 wheel depends on the pool, size, slope shallow to deep, is it hooked at the skimmer or a designated vac line etc.. The key to any cleaner is the right pressure to a pressure cleaner, proper suction to a suction cleaner. I can't tell you how many times I've been to properties where the pressure or suction is way to much resulting in wearing the cleaner and its parts out and sometimes pump cavitation.
"The pool cleaner", set it at 12 revs per minute and your good. Polaris pressure cleaner 28-29 per minute.
On your Polaris pressure cleaner there's a scrubber on the whip hose. Dont forget to change it when it wears out it does its job.

I like my Polaris. Have had to change a few things over the years. Been super reliable. And has always worked good. Was more inquiring about how the wheels will affect the pebble sheen. I don’t think I have ever checked pressure from the booster pump to the sweeper. It was installed 20 years ago and as I said. A wheel replacement here a ribbed gear there and a back flush valve or whatever it’s called. it’s been an exceptional sweeper

boatpi

Reaction score
I have a old sckool Hayward but newer model, it is always tipping over. Large 56' pool/ I had a Pentair and it got stuck on my bar stools, not good either.

Tooned Up

Reaction score
I am new to the pool game as mine will only be a year old in June. That being said we have the Pentair Rebel and my pool has never been dirty. I would gladly spend the money again for another if need be.

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
I have the pool cleaner as well, 5 years problem free, except a plastic bag broke a small gear. Less than $5 and easy to replace. The pool cleaner was bought out by Howard (mabe) might be the dolphin.

oldschool

Reaction score
Just put in a new Polaris booster pump and Polaris 280 today. Replaced after 20 years on the last ones.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
If you don’t have dedicated suction/cleaner line just stick with the pressure side Polaris
No you will not damage the surface with the wheels. The opposite the pebble will damage the tires on the Polaris is it gets stuck in areas. But that will happen on all cleaners

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Not sure where you are located but this is the one and the place where I bought mine and my dads. Been three years so far and not had to touch it. I have pebble tech and the old navigator would wear out the shoes feet and wings all the time this thing just keeps going. I bought it based off of recommendations here.