WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pop Quiz: What Were The 'Bad' Years For Warlock?

boatnam2

Reaction score
I would buy any year warlock, carter was shady as hell but i think the boat's were on par with everything else in the same price range.

PVHCA

Reaction score
I would buy any year warlock, carter was shady as hell but i think the boat's were on par with everything else in the same price range.

I would run the fuck away from anything that Carter Reed had anything to do with, biggest P.O.S. in the industry.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
HAHAHAHA Sorry man... Had to.... You looking at stretching your legs from the Taco while shes getting worked to a Warlock?

Haha no sir. I'll be lucky to afford a set of water wings to float around RD's swimming pool while I re-do the Taco. :grumble:

I have a friend looking for a boat and he asked me about Warlocks. I know nothing about them...

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I would be pretty comfortable with any of the Warlock builds when they were manufactured at the Corona facilities. Tom Stolarz was the original owner/founder, then later came Steve McKee and then Chris Mornes as GMs. Most of this was in the mid/late 1980s into the early/mid 1990s. The guy with the best handle on this is Rob Clarke at Quality Performance Marine in Corona -- he was the main rigger/mechanic for Warlock back then. And, Tom Stolarz still has a shop in Corona doing custom stuff. Once Warlock went to Carter, the picture becomes less clear IMO.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I would be pretty comfortable with any of the Warlock builds when they were manufactured at the Corona facilities. Tom Stolarz was the original owner/founder, then later came Steve McKee and then Chris Mornes as GMs. Most of this was in the mid/late 1980s into the early/mid 1990s. The guy with the best handle on this is Rob Clarke at Quality Performance Marine in Corona -- he was the main rigger/mechanic for Warlock back then. And, Tom Stolarz still has a shop in Corona doing custom stuff. Once Warlock went to Carter, the picture becomes less clear IMO.

So, early Warlocks are ok and the later stuff should be avoided like the bathroom at China Buffet? :thumbsup

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
People say that all Warlocks suck. They also say that all Cheetah's suck. And all commanders. And Hawaiians. And renegades. And HTM's kill people. The list goes on and on, but I would say if the deal is right check the boat thoroughly and have a survey done on it before purchase. Like anything else, I wouldnt believe all the generalized hype. I think it is best to review boats like these on a case by case basis.

My boat is a bastard child.....

Hawaiian splash of a Warlock hull, and rigged with a volvo! On paper this would make most people run.

But ...it is reliable, solid, looks great and never gives me any problems.

My 2 cents...

PVHCA

Reaction score
People say that all Warlocks suck. They also say that all Cheetah's suck. And all commanders. And Hawaiians. And renegades. And HTM's kill people. The list goes on and on, but I would say if the deal is right check the boat thoroughly and have a survey done on it before purchase. Like anything else, I wouldnt believe all the generalized hype. I think it is best to review boats like these on a case by case basis.

Hawaiian splash of a Warlock hull, and rigged with a volvo! On paper this would make most people run.

My 2 cents...

Thankfully you probably never had the displeasure of dealing with a thief like Carter Reed, when numerous buyers of his Canyon Marine boats all had the same complaints it's hardly "generalized hype".

boatnam2

Reaction score

My 2 cents...

The guy from hawaiian made carter look like the a choir boy when it came to shady lol:D

headshothills

Reaction score
As with anything, I think it comes down to what you are looking for, build quality, ride, look, power... Which is what I think is what you are after.

I personally don't like the lines that the Warlock's offer, but that's me, Im sure others like that hard lines and squareness. Ive never ridden in one, so I cant say exactly how they ride or perform under different conditions...

As with anything, if the price is right for what you get, like I found in my case with our DCB, then you cant go wrong... And Tom, you've ridden in mine, so you know... Best case is to continue asking around and get some feedback from previous or current owners...

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
As with anything, I think it comes down to what you are looking for, build quality, ride, look, power... Which is what I think is what you are after.

I personally don't like the lines that the Warlock's offer, but that's me, Im sure others like that hard lines and squareness. Ive never ridden in one, so I cant say exactly how they ride or perform under different conditions...

As with anything, if the price is right for what you get, like I found in my case with our DCB, then you cant go wrong... And Tom, you've ridden in mine, so you know... Best case is to continue asking around and get some feedback from previous or current owners...

He's comparing to an Advantage 23 and a Lavey 21. I feel comfortable telling him that he is better off with a late model of either of these.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Thankfully you probably never had the displeasure of dealing with a thief like Carter Reed, when numerous buyers of his Canyon Marine boats all had the same complaints it's hardly "generalized hype".

Im just saying, that if you are looking at what I will call "lower end custom boats"...review them on a case by case basis, and have them properly surveyed by someone qualified. There are alot of solid boats out there, and there are alot of crap sacks. As far as Carter himself, or Wayne (Hawaiian)....I have never purchased boats new from either, and I am sure they earned their bad reputation. Just keep in mind, A DCB, Eliminator, Lavey etc is another class of boat, in a whole other price range. Cant really compare them back to back with a Warlock, cheetah, etc. Those that do automatically say "man, those XXX are a piece of shit"

That is all

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
What are you buying now Tom?:D

I don't know much about Warlock, honestly. But I do know that Carter opened up a shop over off La Palma Ave. across the street from Angler's Marine back in 1994ish? At that time it was Ultimate by UltraCraft, after he split from Van Beek and the Pomona location. At that time, the boats looked really nice, great colors and gel designs and were a carbon copy of Ultra. I used to go by there all the time as a kid, they were at the end of a street, right off the 91fwy. At some point, Ultimate by UltraCraft became Ulimate-Warlock, and they still had some really nice looking boats on the water...1994-1996ish?? After that, I really don't know anything..... Tom Stolarz Built a blown small block for my dads friend in a 21 Bahner Limited Edition open bow back in 1987, which at that time was the sweetest looking boat on the Colorado River in Laughlin!!

Good info Pokey! Thanks! My buddy is looking for a boat so I was just looking for info for him.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I actually think that the Warlock Euro is a sweet looking boat. The rigging quality may be something to look at though. I would buy a 24'-25' Euro for the right price. I would just plan on having the rigging gone through.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401307652.757962.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401307660.260103.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401307669.276176.jpg

I like the rear swim step deal. I'm sure it's a love or hate it feature.

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
I recently picked up a warlock 25ft sxt cat. I'm super happy with it so far. It is a low hour boat in good shape. I think that people on here get really caught up with their brands and past experiences with people and their stories that they overlook the fact that there are good boats out there who arent made by schiada, hallett, howard, eliminator, dcb, and lavey. Not every boat from every manufacturer is perfect (look at ultra's delam issues), but that doesn't mean that they can't make a good boat. With anything you purchase really go through it with a fine toothed comb. Whether you like the look a boat or not is up to your eyes, no different than cars. Here's mine, so far a happy warlock owner

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 783

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I recently picked up a warlock 25ft sxt cat. I'm super happy with it so far. It is a low hour boat in good shape. I think that people on here get really caught up with their brands and past experiences with people and their stories that they overlook the fact that there are good boats out there who arent made by schiada, hallett, howard, eliminator, dcb, and lavey. Not every boat from every manufacturer is perfect (look at ultra's delam issues), but that doesn't mean that they can't make a good boat. With anything you purchase really go through it with a fine toothed comb. Whether you like the look a boat or not is up to your eyes, no different than cars. Here's mine, so far a happy warlock owner

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

I don't know much about Warlock, honestly. But I do know that Carter opened up a shop over off La Palma Ave. across the street from Angler's Marine back in 1994ish? At that time it was Ultimate by UltraCraft, after he split from Van Beek and the Pomona location. At that time, the boats looked really nice, great colors and gel designs and were a carbon copy of Ultra. I used to go by there all the time as a kid, they were at the end of a street, right off the 91fwy. At some point, Ultimate by UltraCraft became Ulimate-Warlock, and they still had some really nice looking boats on the water...1994-1996ish?? After that, I really don't know anything..... Tom Stolarz Built a blown small block for my dads friend in a 21 Bahner Limited Edition open bow back in 1987, which at that time was the sweetest looking boat on the Colorado River in Laughlin!!

Anything Tom Stolarz does or did back in the good 'oi days was good stuff. When he and "wide clyde" were together they did great work and when Robbie Clark signed in they got better.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I was considering buying a 23' Warlock World Class (Mini Offshore). It was a nice boat. I rode in it in rough water. It felt solid and ate up the chop. I have also spent some time on a 25 SXT Cat that was very nice. I wouldn't be opposed to a Warlock at all.

I know of one for sale in Boulder City area. It is a 27 or 28 foot.

boatnam2

Reaction score

Waterheater

Reaction score
I have a 96 SXT 23. Had it since 98 and love it. It's a solid boat, I had it at Powell, Mead, and Havasu on big weeks and handles the water great. If you remember back in the APBA P1 class, the 29 World Class was a dominate boat. A bunch of them racing and they hauled ass. Never seen any Eliminators DCB's or those other Higher Class boats out there running.:D If I ever talk myself into selling this one, a 29 World Class is at the top of my list.

Attachments

• Boat Powell.jpg
    Boat Powell.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 222

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have a 96 SXT 23. Had it since 98 and love it. It's a solid boat, I had it at Powell, Mead, and Havasu on big weeks and handles the water great. If you remember back in the APBA P1 class, the 29 World Class was a dominate boat. A bunch of them racing and they hauled ass. Never seen any Eliminators DCB's or those other Higher Class boats out there running.:D If I ever talk myself into selling this one, a 29 World Class is at the top of my list.

There has been a 28 DCB racing competitively for a long time now. Lavey and eliminator also raced if memory serves.

HB2LHC

Reaction score
My pops had a 25sxt ,27 F1 (raced for 1 season) , 29 F1 (raced for 3 seasons) and I currently have a 29 F1. My pops and I have never had any issues with quality from Warlock. If he is looking for a 29 tell him to look for a F1 with bolsa core.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
My Dad had a 96 23 Warlock XRI mid cabin open bow. Warlock was one of the first to do the mid cabin whereas everybody else was doing walk thrus. That boat was, and is to this day, rock solid. It was sold to a family friend and the thing still looks brand new. The gelcoat still looks phenomenal and the 24* V eats up rough water really nice. I've always kinda liked the looks of the Warlocks, kind of an old school, bulky look and they're pretty fast. Not sure about the build quality after that, but 96 seemed pretty good. This was still Ultimate Warlock at the time, so maybe somebody can comment on the owner/build?

PVHCA

Reaction score
Im just saying, that if you are looking at what I will call "lower end custom boats"...review them on a case by case basis, and have them properly surveyed by someone qualified. There are alot of solid boats out there, and there are alot of crap sacks. As far as Carter himself, or Wayne (Hawaiian)....I have never purchased boats new from either, and I am sure they earned their bad reputation. Just keep in mind, A DCB, Eliminator, Lavey etc is another class of boat, in a whole other price range. Cant really compare them back to back with a Warlock, cheetah, etc. Those that do automatically say "man, those XXX are a piece of shit"

That is all

My first boat I ever had built was a Canyon Marine P.O.S. built in 1988 by Carter Reed, not much cheaper then Eliminator was back then maybe a couple of grand, he convinced my brother(my partner) that his rigging was much better, that's the only reason we went that route. I knew at the time Hallett and Eliminator were much better builds.

I don't recall Carter being partners with the Van Beek brothers, they were partners in Ultra with Dave Cartwright if memory serves me. Carter's shop was in San Dimas till that P.O.S. went BK.

boatpi

Reaction score
Carter was building limos in a huge shop off of Cajaclo Road north of Perris a year or so ago, Tiffany Coach Works as I recall. it is near the armed forces base.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Carter was building limos in a huge shop off of Cajaclo Road north of Perris a year or so ago, Tiffany Coach Works as I recall. it is near the armed forces base.

Yep heard the same thing.

boatpi

Reaction score
Board Memberships and Affiliations

Board Member

Green Automotive Company

29 Total References
Web References

Fleet News Daily
fleetnewsdaily.com, 24 Feb 2014 [cached]
Carter Read, President [...]
Carter Read, President of Newport Coachworks noted: “In February 2013 we opened our factory doors and in May 2013 we delivered our first bus.??

Green Automotive Company
www.thegreenautomotivecompany.com, 4 Feb 2014 [cached]
Carter Read, President of Newport Coachworks is very enthusiastic about the build of the e-PATRIOT: “We are very excited about launching our first zero emission bus at this major industry event in Las Vegas.
Green Automotive acquired Newport Coachworks in late 2012 and opened the doors to its factory in February this year. “Right now we're building bus number 41, which is an incredible achievement by Carter Read and his team.

Leadership - Green Automotive Company
Carter Read, Member of Board Of Directors
Carter Read has over 29 years' experience in bus and limo manufacturing and is a highly regarded industry leader in North America, having run Tiffany Coachworks as President for 23 years. In his career he has been responsible for building over 10000 buses and limousines.

Carter Read, President of ...
www.thegreenautomotivecompany.com, 15 April 2013 [cached]
Carter Read, President of NCI confirms: "We have invested in the most technically advanced machinery such as a 5 axis CNC machine and a full length spray booth and oven for painting even the longest buses, to make sure we meet the highest quality standards. The first bus that rolled off our production line, the Atlas 27, combines high rigidity with optimized weight and maximum durability thanks its innovative fiberglass body, fully composite floor and high strength light weight frame. A good day for manufacturing in America!"
Don Brown Bus Sales General Sales Manager AJ Thurber is delighted: "This is the first of a new generation of shuttle buses which we believe are set to take America by storm. Its elegant design will inspire passengers with an outstanding ride and comfort level. Mr. Read has proven the superiority of his technology that leads to a longer life for the buses, greater pleasure for the passengers and higher levels of safety.

www.thegreenautomotivecompany.com, 28 Jan 2014 [cached]
Carter Read, President of Newport Coachworks is very enthusiastic about the build of the e-PATRIOT: "We are very excited about launching our first zero emission bus at this major industry event in Las Vegas.

BPI

PVHCA

Reaction score
Board Memberships and Affiliations

Board Member

Green Automotive Company

29 Total References
Web References

Fleet News Daily
fleetnewsdaily.com, 24 Feb 2014 [cached]
Carter Read, President [...]
Carter Read, President of Newport Coachworks noted: “In February 2013 we opened our factory doors and in May 2013 we delivered our first bus.??

Green Automotive Company
Carter Read, President of Newport Coachworks is very enthusiastic about the build of the e-PATRIOT: “We are very excited about launching our first zero emission bus at this major industry event in Las Vegas.
Green Automotive acquired Newport Coachworks in late 2012 and opened the doors to its factory in February this year. “Right now we're building bus number 41, which is an incredible achievement by Carter Read and his team.

Leadership - Green Automotive Company
Carter Read, Member of Board Of Directors
Carter Read has over 29 years' experience in bus and limo manufacturing and is a highly regarded industry leader in North America, having run Tiffany Coachworks as President for 23 years. In his career he has been responsible for building over 10000 buses and limousines.

www.thegreenautomotivecompany.com, 15 April 2013 [cached]
Carter Read, President of NCI confirms: "We have invested in the most technically advanced machinery such as a 5 axis CNC machine and a full length spray booth and oven for painting even the longest buses, to make sure we meet the highest quality standards. The first bus that rolled off our production line, the Atlas 27, combines high rigidity with optimized weight and maximum durability thanks its innovative fiberglass body, fully composite floor and high strength light weight frame. A good day for manufacturing in America!"
Don Brown Bus Sales General Sales Manager AJ Thurber is delighted: "This is the first of a new generation of shuttle buses which we believe are set to take America by storm. Its elegant design will inspire passengers with an outstanding ride and comfort level. Mr. Read has proven the superiority of his technology that leads to a longer life for the buses, greater pleasure for the passengers and higher levels of safety.

www.thegreenautomotivecompany.com, 28 Jan 2014 [cached]
Carter Read, President of Newport Coachworks is very enthusiastic about the build of the e-PATRIOT: "We are very excited about launching our first zero emission bus at this major industry event in Las Vegas.

BPI

He's never at a loss for patting himself on the back.

The shit I still hear about him from his ex-partners is unreal.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Carter and jerry were partners in ultra, I remember carter was pissed because jerry bought harleys to ride to the 1993 regatta( whole another story in itself). Jeff the owner of cobra was the counter guy at ultra in 1993.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Also at the 1993 regatta jerry was on a roll and throwing 100's around during raffle like penny's....Jerry got in a fight later in the night so they sank about 5 of the boats in the cove that night.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Also at the 1993 regatta jerry was on a roll and throwing 100's around during raffle like penny's....Jerry got in a fight later in the night so they sank about 5 of the boats in the cove that night.

Whhhaaatttt??? LOL

RD

gqchris

Reaction score
Here we fucking go again........

Anyone that thinks the later year Warlocks are garbage cans, please PM me and take a ride on my 2002 25 SXT with a 496 HO. 80 mph GPS all day, and still have RPM left.

I sold all the Magics when I was at LBYS. ( RIP Lonnie). You want some horror stories? I got a ton of em.

Thanks PT for Poking the Hornet Nest!! :)

gqchris

Reaction score
Heres my Shit Pile on the right this weekend. I better go out and tighten all my drywall screws back in for the next trip! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401341082.282083.jpg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Heres my Shit Pile on the right this weekend. I better go out and tighten all my drywall screws back in for the next trip! View attachment 339269

Back'em out and throw an anodized washer under them first please. I Might be able to afford one on it"s second decade and I don't want any spiders poking through the Gel.