WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pops . . . Zero F's Given . . .

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Pulled the boat out around 10:00 am, washed it at the rack.
Getting ready to split & Pops says, "Hold Up" & goes back to the boat.
Hops back in & says, "Alright, lets roll".
I look over . . . Dude's crackin a 'Road Soda' ! 🤣😂🤘
I guess when you're almost 90, you can do what you want. 🇺🇲
IMG_2982.jpeg

PayDayClub

Reaction score
Pulled the boat out around 10:00 am, washed it at the rack.
Getting ready to split & Pops says, "Hold Up" & goes back to the boat.
Hops back in & says, "Alright, lets roll".
I look over . . . Dude's crackin a 'Road Soda' ! 🤣😂🤘
I guess when you're almost 90, you can do what you want. 🇺🇲
View attachment 1115961
That’s awesome

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words RDP Peeps. Really means a lot 🙏
Sorry to bore you all w/ 'Old-Guy-Content' , but He's a really nice & humble man . . . been working full time since he was around 13-14 . . .his last day of school was 8th grade.
His name is 'Jerry', but he got the nickname 'Jeronimo' from my Grandma who said he was 'Wild as an Indian'. 😂

DLC

Reaction score
I greet my dad with YO YO DaddyO ! But always call him Dad.

Thats Great That your dad still has all his Wits and Marbles!

enjoy your days together! That’s a true gift from god To have him Healthy and Happy

rush1

Reaction score
Love these “Pops” threads. I don’t know why, but at some point I stopped calling him Dad and it became “Pops”!’
Funny I did the same thing with my dad and my son has done it with me , I don't know why .

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
This is awesome. That man has earned as many beers as he can drink. Lost my dad coming up on two years in June and never got to share a drink with him ( recovering alcoholic ). If it the last thing I do on this earth it will be to share a beer with my son & daughter in my golden years. God bless his generation… 🇺🇸

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… don’t really have any great pop stories… I guess you can say we were not not cut from the same cloth… I mean he was a good guy …a lifelong engineer for Lockheed Aircraft… or maybe it was because he was not a drinker… Iol…

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I’m thinking Pops might just hammer that cold one down, toss it in the trash and say, OK, now let’s go. BTW - How was fishing?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I’m thinking Pops might just hammer that cold one down, toss it in the trash and say, OK, now let’s go. BTW - How was fishing?
Fishing was surprisingly good.
Water temp. on the LB / Federal Breakwater hovered around 61 degrees, surprisingly after all that wind . . . figured it'd be 57-58.
A ton of bait has pushed-in on the beach, looked like sardine, so the pelicans, dolphins, and seals were having a field day crashing the schools.
Never ceases to amaze me how much tide plays a roll . . . we had a building tide till around 9:00 am . . . after it peaked it was like someone turned the lights off, party over.
We kept a few Calico Bass for tacos, bled 'em and threw them on ice.
Damn they're tasty, super mild and not at all fishy.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
When in high school we spent many days fishing Bonita with trout rods at the breakwater. Great fun. And rumor was you could even drink beer out there without getting in trouble. So I’ve heard . . . We even used to pull black abalone off the rocks out there at low tide. Had to pound the hell out of them. But, they were good.

Have you ever fished the red ear sunfish in Havasu with your Dad? They’re catching some amazing fish right now. And red ear are excellent eating. Perhaps the best of all fresh water fish.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
When in high school we spent many days fishing Bonita with trout rods at the breakwater. Great fun. And rumor was you could even drink beer out there without getting in trouble. So I’ve heard . . . We even used to pull black abalone off the rocks out there at low tide. Had to pound the hell out of them. But, they were good.

Have you ever fished the red ear sunfish in Havasu with your Dad? They’re catching some amazing fish right now. And red ear are excellent eating. Perhaps the best of all fresh water fish.
Great stories !
The Bonito have made a great comeback.
We usually catch & release most everything, but w/ food prices being what they are we've been keeping a few each time.
Last year we drug our skiff down to Dana Point & I brought a bunch of ice 'just in case'.
We came up on a school of 'Bonies' crashing and it was all you wanted, we kept a few and bled / iced them immediately.
On the way home we stopped at a Mexican Market for Ceviche Ingredients & chips . . got home and whipped-up a big batch using an old Fred Hoctor Ceviche recipe I had from Western Outdoor News decades ago.
I took some around to the neighbors and everyone was floored that it was Bonito. Really good for Ceviche !

I've heard a little bit about those Red Ears in Havasu . . . it's crazy how that fishery has taken off !
That's a great idea to take Pops out there, might have to plan a trip. He'd dig that. 👌

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The size of some of the Bonita being caught down by the BFT is nothing short of amazing.

The quagga mussels are a favorite of the red ear. And There’s plenty of those in Havasu.

73mandella

Reaction score
My father-in-law will be 92 this June and I spend a lot of time with him motor-homing. He still drives his 40-footer while I enjoy the ride (he drove big rigs for 30+ years). No open containers but you can never tell what he is going to say! The filters are gone. Times are great.