WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pork Belly

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Anybody prepare it? Favorite recipe or technique?

Oso Viejo

Reaction score
I've hot smoked those bad boys and the come out pretty tasty.

Nice dry rub, smoked at about 220 degrees for 4 or 5 hours. Sliced up thin on some cheese grits an some kind of green, garlicky vegetable alongside. You can pimp it up with fancier cheese and veggies if you like or keep it simple just like serving it with a good zinfandel or a couple long necks.:drink:drink

Old Texan

Reaction score
I've hot smoked those bad boys and the come out pretty tasty.

Nice dry rub, smoked at about 220 degrees for 4 or 5 hours. Sliced up thin on some cheese grits an some kind of green, garlicky vegetable alongside. You can pimp it up with fancier cheese and veggies if you like or keep it simple just like serving it with a good zinfandel or a couple long necks.:drink:drink
Got a smoker? I'm a Texan, it's a prerequisite.:D

Sounds delicious.

That's gonna be my next way. I did it in the oven, browning it well and then braising in beer for a couple hours. Came out fine, but I'd like to get some smoke involved.

dave29

Reaction score
Inject with apple juice the night before. Pull from fridge, drain juice from pan and apply rub. Put in smoker at 225-250 for 3 hours uncovered. Pull, pan it with a rack in the pan add two cups apple juice. Apply butter (Pakay skuirt bottle), honey and brown sugar to entire outside of meat and cover pan tightly with foil. Return to smoker and cook until internal temp is about 190-200. Pull, burp pan, re cover and let rest for 1-2 hours. I use a moving blanket to cover the pan while it's resting.

Old Texan

Reaction score
Inject with apple juice the night before. Pull from fridge, drain juice from pan and apply rub. Put in smoker at 225-250 for 3 hours uncovered. Pull, pan it with a rack in the pan add two cups apple juice. Apply butter (Pakay skuirt bottle), honey and brown sugar to entire outside of meat and cover pan tightly with foil. Return to smoker and cook until internal temp is about 190-200. Pull, burp pan, re cover and let rest for 1-2 hours. I use a moving blanket to cover the pan while it's resting.

Not sure what a "moving blanket" is?????

Sounds tasty.

dave29

Reaction score
A padded blanket used to cover furniture when moving.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Where do you guys find pork belly? Basically it's uncut bacon, isn't it?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
A good butcher shop will have them. They are literaly what the name says, the belly skin, fat, and muscle of the hog. Bacon is cured and smoked pork belly.

Old Texan

Reaction score

Higher end supermarkets and most any butcher shop will have it. As mentioned, it's the belly area that is salt cured to make bacon. If you like bacon, you'll love pork belly properly prepared. It's priced in accordance to bacon by the pound.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
They had it last weekend at The Corner Butcher in La Verne... Don't always see it there though.

I use a towel instead of the moving blanket.

Ryph

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
There's a ramen place near my office called Ramen Yamadaya.
Their broth is simmered for 18 hoursm but that's besides the point.

They offer a Tonkotsu Koterri with a heavy, fatty broth and pork belly.
It's ridonkulous :thumbup:

o.jpg

JD D05

Reaction score
The one and only time I have had Pork Belly was in noodles like above at this place http://sumomaya.com/

It was incredible and need to back soon to AZ.