WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Port vs. Starboard

OC Mike

Reaction score
You guys know why it's Starboard and Port?
I have yet to have anyone answer this question.
I learned this in a Coast Guard Aux Safety Class......

Way back when the Starboard or Steorboard was offset to the right.
So would Port up on the left side for clearance of the Steorboard / Starboard.

Here's Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard

Now, go win some bets...........

nowski

Reaction score
Drinkers on the left and non drinkers on the right...

rivergames

Reaction score
Yes!

Port is left (Both 4 letters)

Starboard is right (More letters)

I am assuming this is the real reason that I found on google:

Why is the left side of the boat called Port?
The term starboard derives from the Old English steorbord, meaning the side on which the ship is steered. Before ships had rudders on their centrelines, they were steered with a steering oar at the stern of the ship and, because more people are right-handed, on the right-hand side of it.

rivergames

Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard

Wikipedia:

Port and starboard
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Image from the Bayeux Tapestry showing a longship with a steering oar on the starboard side[1]

Diagram showing the schematic view of a ship's position lights.
Port and starboard are nautical and aeronautical terms for left and right, respectively. Port is the left-hand side of a vessel or aircraft, facing forward. Starboard is the right-hand side, facing forward. Since port and starboard never change, they are unambiguous references that are not relative to the observer.[2][3]

The term starboard derives from the Old English steorbord, meaning the side on which the ship is steered. Before ships had rudderson their centrelines, they were steered with a steering oar at the stern of the ship and, because more people are right-handed, on the right-hand side of it.[2] Since the steering oar was on the right side of the boat, it would tie up at the wharf on the other side. Hence the left side was called port.[4]

Formerly, larboard was used instead of port. This is from Middle-English ladebord and the term lade is related to the modern load.[3]Larboard sounds similar to starboard and in 1844 the Royal Navy ordered that port be used instead.[5][non-primary source needed] The United States Navy followed suit in 1846.[6] Larboard continued to be used well into the 1850s by whalers.[citation needed]

The navigational treaty convention, the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea—for instance, as appears in the Merchant Shipping (Distress Signals and Prevention of Collisions) Regulations of 1996 (and comparable US documents from the US Coast Guard),[7]—sets forth requirements for maritime vessels to avoid collisions, whether by sail or powered, and whether a vessel is overtaking, approaching head-on, or crossing.[7]:11-12 To set forth these navigational rules, the terms starboard and port are absolutely essential, and to aid in in situ decision-making, the two sides of each vessel are marked, dusk to dawn, by navigation lights, the vessel's starboard side by green and its port side by red.[7]:15 Aircraft are lit in the same way.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Can we please go back to left and right side...lol

I hate having to figure out how many letters in the word Left while boating:D

Because using left and right for vehicles has worked so well, that Driver's and Passenger side(s) now have to be used, unless you have a British RHD vehicle, which makes most people's heads explode.

rrrr

Reaction score
Something very few know is that until the mid 1920s, the helm on many ships was the reverse of today. To turn to starboard, the wheel would be turned left. A port turn would require the wheel to be turned right.

Next time you watch the movie Titanic, pay attention when the iceberg is spotted. Second Officer Charles Lightoller orders the helmsman to steer "hard a port", and he frantically spins the wheel to the right.

That's the way it used to work.

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
I could never get that red to red is good at night.

Everyone knows it’s easier to just give way to the more expensive boat. :D

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Something very few know is that until the mid 1920s, the helm on ships was the reverse of today. To turn to starboard, the wheel would be turned left. A port turn would require the wheel to be turned right.

Next time you watch the movie Titanic, pay attention when the iceberg is spotted. Second Officer Charles Lightoller orders the helmsman to steer "hard a port", and he frantically spins the wheel to the right.

Thats because he was fuckin Brit….They're never right. lol:D

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Starboard - the proper side for the steering wheel

Helms were originally placed on the starboard side of the vessel, due to prop rotation (in forward) being counter-clockwise.
In Forward the vessel is naturally pushed to Starboard. In Reverse the vessel is naturally pulled starboard.
Since early single engine vessels were use primarily used for Commerce (fishing, cargo, transportation) and time is of the essence, the fastest and easiest way was to make fast to the pier/dock on the side the vessel wanted to go towards naturally. And since no one wants to crashing to a pier/dock, or run across the deck to the other side to tie lines, helms were placed on starboard side.

Personally I prefer the Helm on the Port side for a lake river boat, or on center-line in an ocean boat.

Something very few know is that until the mid 1920s, the helm on many ships was the reverse of today. To turn to starboard, the wheel would be turned left. A port turn would require the wheel to be turned right.

Actually he says "Hard to Starboard." and the helmsman turns the wheel to port. But I understand what you're saying!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Well no wonder they smashed into the damn iceberg!

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I think if the dumbshit knew his left from right they wouldn't of hit an iceberg!

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I always remembered it as the ship just Left the Port.
Starboard is Right, it has more Rs. ;)

Dport

Reaction score
I was taught, Is there any port wine left.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
If you wanna get home gotta know "Redd right returning"
That's absolutely true for the US and those countries using IALA "B" buoyage system: North, South and Central America, Japan, Korea and the Philippines. The rest of the world, most of Europe, Africa and Asia use IALA "A" buoyage system. It is a Big deal the first time you enter one of those countries at night and it is suddenly "green right returning". Gets your attention real quick. But, it is also clearly marked on the charts, paper and electronic.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
IALA system "A" (green right returning) is also used in Australia, the western Pacific Ocean and the eastern Atlantic Ocean.