WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Portable Battery Jump Starter Pack???

Tooned Up

Reaction score
So I’m working in North Dakota for the next few months and it’s already snowed twice and temps are REALLY fucking cold. The hotel I’m staying at doesn’t have a source to plug the block heater in at night and the old 7.3PSD doesn’t like to start easy when it’s 20* out. I have good Exide batteries that are 10 months old. I would like to pick up a good glove box type booster pack, but no clue on which to get that will turn that pig over even if the batteries are completely dead. Any real life experiences as to which are bettythan the rest?

grumpy88

Reaction score
I have the anti gravity micro start and it kicks ass .

Tooned Up

Reaction score
I have the anti gravity micro start and it kicks ass .
Have you started any diesel pickups with it with dead batteries? My batteries are fine at home in Phoenix, just don’t like the cold. If I’m going to buy one I want to know it will crank that pig over if the batteries are actually dead.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Diesel's in cold weather can be very difficult to jump with a glovebox micro start. You may need commercial grade unit.
For a glovebox unit AntiGravity is the founding father of micro starter technology and the highest rated year in/out.
The Antigravity XP-10HD $219.00 or XP-10 $199.00 are 2 of best around rated for 7.3 Diesel at a reasonable price.
Let us know how it turns out or turns over….:D
https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-10-hd/

Icky

Reaction score
I have the xp10 and when one of my batteries went dead my diesel laughed at it. It also laughed when I tried to jump it off one of my odyssey PC 2150s that I had out of the boat. Took my other truck a minute or so to get enough juice it so it would start

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
How long do these glovebox jump starters hold a charge? Like if you have it sitting in the glove box for months or years, is it gonna be dead when you go to use it..?

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
How long do these glovebox jump starters hold a charge? Like if you have it sitting in the glove box for months or years, is it gonna be dead when you go to use it..?
They need to be topped off every so often.
They’re also very susceptible to heat damage so store them somewhere they won’t bake.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
That was the issue I had with one. I overheated and expanded being in the car that was parked in my garage. I'm thankful that it didn't catch on fire.

They need to be topped off every so often.
They’re also very susceptible to heat damage so store them somewhere they won’t bake.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Having battery cables in good condition and proper sizing is just as important as a healthy battery.

I had a old jeep cherokee that cranked slowly. The stock cables were corroded all to hell. Swapped them all out with new. It sat parked outside all winter and fired up without fail even in subzero temps.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Have you started any diesel pickups with it with dead batteries? My batteries are fine at home in Phoenix, just don’t like the cold. If I’m going to buy one I want to know it will crank that pig over if the batteries are actually dead.
Yes but I have the smaller unit and only had one dead battery . I got 5 jumps out of the smaller unit on a gas motor on one charge .

robby dmax

Reaction score
I also have the xp-10 and it works great.. yes it has started my Diesel’s more then once on a single charge.
I also keep the small one in my Razor as a backup

Tooned Up

Reaction score
I looked everywhere in town for one without luck. If I ordered it online it wouldn’t be here till next week and I wasn’t willing to take that chance. I drove a little better than a 100 miles to Bismarck and picked up a NOCO GB150. At least know I have peace of mind.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I looked everywhere in town for one without luck. If I ordered it online it wouldn’t be here till next week and I wasn’t willing to take that chance. I drove a little better than a 100 miles to Bismarck and picked up a NOCO GB150. At least know I have peace of mind.
Hopefully you don't need it, but if you do use it, please update this this thread and let us know how it did.
Btw If you don't mind saying, How much for GB 150?

Tooned Up

Reaction score
Hopefully you don't need it, but if you do use it, please update this this thread and let us know how it did.
Btw If you don't mind saying, How much for GB 150?
It was a $280 and some change from an Interstate Battery dealer after a military discount that saved me 10%. Cheap peace of mind in my opinion.

Slats

Reaction score
So I’m working in North Dakota for the next few months and it’s already snowed twice and temps are REALLY fucking cold. The hotel I’m staying at doesn’t have a source to plug the block heater in at night and the old 7.3PSD doesn’t like to start easy when it’s 20* out. I have good Exide batteries that are 10 months old. I would like to pick up a good glove box type booster pack, but no clue on which to get that will turn that pig over even if the batteries are completely dead. Any real life experiences as to which are bettythan the rest?

Didn’t read the whole thread. I have a POD. Power on demand. It’s small and I have used it to start my diesel in the freezing temps. It holds a charge for a long time. They have a few models. Just get the one that starts the diesel. It will do everything you need.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Can you run an extension cord under the door threshold or window?

sleek460

Reaction score
do you need new glow plugs or glow plug relay? our 7.3 has started at 5degees without outside assistance(block heater), its not happy at 587 k miles, but started

Tooned Up

Reaction score
do you need new glow plugs or glow plug relay? our 7.3 has started at 5degees without outside assistance(block heater), its not happy at 587 k miles, but started
I was able to find an outlet to plug into last night. It fired right up this morning.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
Back in 2010 I was working in Williston and many of the older hotels had nothing for hookups. You would sometimes see guys running those little Honda 1000 generators to two or three trucks at once. Seems like they are good for 5 or 6 hours with not much load.

beertruck

Reaction score
my wife picked up a halo bolt charger on QVC, and she was bragging how this thing will charge you cell phone, and jump start your car when needed.
In my mind I called BS as I have tried jumping many vehicles with jumper cable and battery chargers in the past, and they always require a charge of about 15 minutes before the jumped vehicle would turn over. There was no way this little thing will work.

Well I was traveling with my daughter and my Hummer H2 battery was completely dead. She pulled out the halo charger, and i thought, poor girl, she has been listening to my wife too much. I decided to humor her and give it a try, and the hummer turned over immediately when hooked up to the halo.

Holy Shit my wife was right, this charger was great! I carry one when boating now in case there are battery issue at sea

here is the charger on amazon, I would highly recommend it for safety backup of loved ones vehicles

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Laptop-Charger-Starter-Outlet/dp/B07JF5NFL2?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

Tooned Up

Reaction score
my wife picked up a halo bolt charger on QVC, and she was bragging how this thing will charge you cell phone, and jump start your car when needed.
In my mind I called BS as I have tried jumping many vehicles with jumper cable and battery chargers in the past, and they always require a charge of about 15 minutes before the jumped vehicle would turn over. There was no way this little thing will work.

Well I was traveling with my daughter and my Hummer H2 battery was completely dead. She pulled out the halo charger, and i thought, poor girl, she has been listening to my wife too much. I decided to humor her and give it a try, and the hummer turned over immediately when hooked up to the halo.

Holy Shit my wife was right, this charger was great! I carry one when boating now in case there are battery issue at sea

here is the charger on amazon, I would highly recommend it for safety backup of loved ones vehicles

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Laptop-Charger-Starter-Outlet/dp/B07JF5NFL2?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4
I ended up going with a NOCO GB150. It’s a little bigger than I wanted, but will still fit behind the backseat and I know it will turn a diesel motor over.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
This thread is a jinx! I saw this thread, ordered the Noco GB75 on Sat, and I shit you not I had a dead battery on Sunday. 100% dead, and no warning. Batt is under warranty so I’m good there, but this thing won’t arrive until later today... a little late. Haha

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Looking for a new one. My POD swelled up and the one that Costco sells for about $60 won't hold a charge anymore. Best one I had was a coleman with a lead acid battery, it finally died.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I have the GB 70. It works great. Cold starting my 454 in my boat after sitting all winter, takes 3-5 long cranking sessions to get it running, and stay running. This box did it no problem with completely dead batteries, and the charge indicator didn't move off full. The boat turned over like it had fully charged batteries.

I think the 70 would start a 7.3 PS, so you should be fine with the 150.

endobear

Reaction score
My 7.3 can sit for a month and fire right up in low single digit Temps. Below zero she starts but will smoke pretty good. I never plug it in.

Once your glow plug light turns off its still warming for another 60 seconds or so. I'll cycle the key 2x for 60 seconds each and she lights right off.

DLC

Reaction score
Can you unscrew a light bulb on a wall sconces and screw in a outlet then run a cord?

FFF9A822-5D4C-4386-975C-949AEF35AD47.jpeg
7AFB9DEB-E40F-45BE-806E-7425FF41010F.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
Open your window and push a cord thru?

get a loud ass generator fire that sucker up and run it all night as close to the rooms as possible!!

you’ll get an outlet in no time

2Driver

Reaction score
I carry that one in my boat! Haven’t had to use it yet...

I make sure I take it out when I store the boat though. Scared it might catch on fire when we’re out of town due to the heat in the garage.
I have that one and the smaller one as well. I kept it in the boat in Parker or in the garage for 5 years before it started to swell. Now I keep them in the house and carry them when I think I may need them.

The best thing about these is when someone you don’t know asks you for a jump, you can use it vs getting your vehicle involved in their problem.