WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

POS 7.3...

ramos45

Reaction score
What's with all the hate towards the 7.3? Yeah, we know they have half the torque of new trucks but but also cost accordingly.

ridebig

Reaction score
Not worried about the horsepower wars. My 7.3 is a bad mother fucker! Ordered it new and best lake rig ever.
A8E68AED-A66A-4CF9-8711-CF24E589F2B2.jpeg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Not worried about the horsepower wars. My 7.3 is a bad mother fucker! Ordered it new and best lake rig ever. View attachment 1034260
My driveway queen ๐Ÿ˜„

I almost went with your wheels but ultimately chose the icons because they had the offset i was looking for. Even then I still wanted to go with the copper wheels until a friend convinced me to go dark grey to match the 2tone
20201101_164102.jpg

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I think the 7.3 has become what the 460 was 20 years ago. It had a great run. I sold my 7.3 superduty 4 years ago. I probably wouldn't get another considering what is now available.

endobear

Reaction score
Old Smokey has hauled my family around camping and been fairly reliable for the last 18 years. Only left me stranded on the road once....caught on fire. Lol. Hence, her name.
She's towed in 8 states in the last 16 months alone over 4 camping trips. Pics below.
Wife just drove it 2500 miles towing light over 25 days during spring brake.
No, it's not fast. But she definitely gets the job done, eventually. All you would ever need towing under 10klbs. Plus she's been paid for since 05.
I will admit. I rent a new truck when I do my Glamis trips from denver towing my 13k toy hauler. Other than that, Old Smokey does the job great for the cost.
20200718_190113.jpg
20200618_205104.jpg
20200509_174156.jpg
20180527_121336.jpg
20210319_110312.jpg
20210323_095217.jpg
20210406_201947.jpg
20210401_180500.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
What's with all the hate towards the 7.3? Yeah, we know they have half the torque of new trucks but but also cost accordingly.
I don't hate them, its just that they get put up there somewhere between Jesus and Moses and it gets ridiculous lol

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I don't hate them, its just that they get put up there somewhere between Jesus and Moses and it gets ridiculous lol

Exactly.

and no owner wants to talk about how many times they have replaced the cam position sensor and that ford/navstar had to redesign said sensor six times before they ran out of warranty

Or how the oil squirters shear off and fall into the oil pan

ramos45

Reaction score

I get the rediculousnous for sure, if 7.3 owners thing their shit don't stink then their head is stuck in the sand but most of us on here with 7.3 have are enjoying them for what they are. These things are pretty reliable and if something does go wrong it's fairly simple to fix in one's driveway with a little know how.

ramos45

Reaction score
Exactly.

and no owner wants to talk about how many times they have replaced the cam position sensor and that ford/navstar had to redesign said sensor six times before they ran out of warranty

keep going......๐Ÿฟ

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Exactly.

Crank sensor. Get it right!

I replaced mine (for good measure) right after I bought it. That was maybe 20 years ago now?

The worst thing on these engines is the valve cover gaskets. The injector/glow plug harness, is molded into the gasket!

That was the first problem I had with this truck. Now I'm on the third one. I'm starting to get pissed off!

๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I get the rediculousnous for sure, if 7.3 owners thing their shit don't stink then their head is stuck in the sand but most of us on here with 7.3 have are enjoying them for what they are. These things are pretty reliable and if something does go wrong it's fairly simple to fix in one's driveway with a little know how.

I just brought this up so the Chevy guys had something to rag about.

๐Ÿ˜‰

ramos45

Reaction score
Original cps from what I can tell but my hpop did kick the bucket last year

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I'd love a 7.3 excursion,
Sorta like the LS eh? ๐Ÿ˜
Oh the LS is up there.......
The numbers don't lie

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

I replaced mine (for good measure) right after I bought it. That was maybe 20 years ago now?

The worst thing on these engines is the valve cover gaskets. The injector/glow plug harness, is molded into the gasket!

That was the first problem I had with this truck. Now I'm on the third one. I'm starting to get pissed off!

๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜

I can't get my oil cooler to quit leaking. Ive resealed it 4 times. This last time I put a whole new unit on it. Every time, I make it about 4-5000miles and it starts leaking again. Ive given up, I just park it in the gravel now. But she's my dependable and can roll coal like diesel is going out of style ๐Ÿ˜„

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I can't get my oil cooler to quit leaking. Ive resealed it 4 times. This last time I put a whole new unit on it. Every time, I make it about 4-5000miles and it starts leaking again. Ive given up, I just park it in the gravel now. But she's my dependable and can roll coal like diesel is going out of style ๐Ÿ˜„

Interesting. You should get yourself a new mechanic! ๐Ÿ˜

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
I can't get my oil cooler to quit leaking. Ive resealed it 4 times. This last time I put a whole new unit on it. Every time, I make it about 4-5000miles and it starts leaking again. Ive given up, I just park it in the gravel now. But she's my dependable and can roll coal like diesel is going out of style [emoji1]

Got my coal roller certification in the mail today
IMG_6674.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trash

Reaction score

๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜

Have you tried the 'quarter' trick for the UVCH? That will likely solve the problem I think you were having.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Have you tried the 'quarter' trick for the UVCH? That will likely solve the problem I think you were having.

Uhhhh...

I wasn't having a crank sensor problem. I knew about the issue, and changed it premptively.

The turn signal issue was due to some douche nozzle breaking the connector!

The valve cover deal is just a odd design on International's part. New gasket solved that nicely.

What's the quarter trick? I have a feeling I'm going to be sorry I asked! ๐Ÿ˜

endobear

Reaction score
Uhhhh...

I wasn't having a crank sensor problem. I knew about the issue, and changed it premptively.

The turn signal issue was due to some douche nozzle breaking the connector!

The valve cover deal is just a odd design on International's part. New gasket solved that nicely.

What's the quarter trick? I have a feeling I'm going to be sorry I asked! ๐Ÿ˜
It's called the 50 cent mod. You slide 2 quarters in the harness connector to tighten the connection. They also sell a little clip to slide in instead of quarters.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It's called the 50 cent mod. You slide 2 quarters in the harness connector to tighten the connection. They also sell a little clip to slide in instead of quarters.

LoL.

I'll just replace the connector. I was leaving for Mammoth and was in a bit of a rush to leave...

20210808_111947.jpg