WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Possible Parker Strip Incident?

DUN

Reaction score
Pics of said collar and shaft for the v dumbs in this thread

Yeah seems pretty obvious that wasn't the failure now. Still a wake up call.

He had a stout coupler though for what it's worth... lol

cofooter

Reaction score
Pics of said collar and shaft for the v dumbs in this thread
In the pic, you see the coupler still attached to the drive shaft but separated fron the vdrive output shaft and the lock collar in gold that "may" have slipped causing it to hit rudder "if" that is what happened.

1606274495479.png

Last edited:

DUN

Reaction score
What was the cause

F if I know. At this point I'm thinking it was something under the surface.

In the pic, you see the collar still attached to the drive shaft but separated fron the vdrive output shaft and the lock collar in gold that "may" have slipped causing it to hit rudder "if" that is what happened.

View attachment 945803

It's possible but you would think the shaft would have to slide well thru the log seal for rudder contact. The whole boat tore apart but it is interesting that it's disconnected. Hopefully the driver has a better idea than any of us. Glad he's around to talk about it.

Sherpa

Reaction score
just prior to the launch the bow dips..... then she goes airborne.......... I kept looking for a roller. can't see one.....

something caused the bow to dip, then the launch. hull breaking next to the motor and driveline inside stopping shaft rotation? theres your bow dip.
then the back end bottom of the boat catches the dip the bow caused, which causes the launch?

looks like the driver was thrown clear. sort of. port side gunnel dipped, with the boat pushing ahead. could have been really bad for the driver.

couldn't make out another passenger.

--Sherpa

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I have watched a couple different angles of this crash and it looks like he got off the throttle, rooster tail falls and the boat falls into the belly, before it shoots to the moon! The most recent pics posted sho the prop shaft disconnected from the v-drive. This all goes together with the crash up until the nose comes back up? I can't explain that one.

I have driven a flat without a whirl away and they practically have brakes when that prop stops turning. From what Brad has described, it doesn't sound like that's 100% the case though?

Thank God for Lifeline's! Makes me think 2X having a lightweight boat now.

guest hs

Reaction score
The hull is breached when he comes out of the water, prop did not contact hull. Shaft is also bent to shit.
Can you see if the the prop came back far enough to hit the rudder or did the coupler being attached to the prop shaft keep it far enough forward? I bet when the boat twisted and came apart that’s when it yanked the coupler from the Vdrive.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but for these guys with big $$ in flatties and such, when there is an incident does the insurance usually cover it? From my understanding if he hit a submerged object its covered, but what if it was a collar failure, is the covered too?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but for these guys with big $$ in flatties and such, when there is an incident does the insurance usually cover it? From my understanding if he hit a submerged object its covered, but what if it was a collar failure, is the covered too?

Insuring them isnt easy.......I have never had to make a claim. I have kept a policy active on a boat that hasnt seen water in 7 years because its easier to keep it. In all reality, I would only expect the policy to cover medical expenses. I bet most arent insured

500bbc

Reaction score
Prop contacted rudder, both ears but not much damage to the prop.

Groper

Reaction score
Waiting for someone to float over the area where this happened to see if there is anything submerged.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Waiting for someone to float over the area where this happened to see if there is anything submerged.
I park my ski right by there and my friends is in background in the pic. I have not seen anything. I will look when I get there Friday and talk to my buddy who is on the water daily whose ski is in pic. He stays full time behind me.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Driver out of surgery, has hand strength weakness but doing very well.

Many passes today over same spot, no one has spotted anything odd.

Better not have been one of those fucking lock/chain booby traps...

If it was something floating/submerged, it would probably be in Lake Moovalya by now.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I have swam every inch of that stretch underwater looking for shit, seeing how all the buoys are tied off including mine and there isn't a buoy to hit. point in fact many guys making passes today on exact same line and water is low.
Driver out of surgery, has hand strength weakness but doing very well.

Many passes today over same spot, no one has spotted anything odd.
I would bet my paycheck nothing is submerged, I have swan, snorkeled, rode countless hours on wave runner on that 100 yard stretch of river and know ever buoy from the top and what's its connected too. But I haven't been in 2 months so maybe there is a mystery buoy, but I doubt it.

propcheck

Reaction score
I see it also something is in the water in front of the boat then under it as it goes airborn. 🙏 for the driver. QUOTE="oldschool, post: 3919351, member: 278"]
What is that in the water, looks like balls/ bouys of some kind? View attachment 945499
[/QUOTE]

brgrcru

Reaction score

Just liability on mine . if i fuck it up . its on me.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I see it also something is in the water in front of the boat then under it as it goes airborn. 🙏 for the driver. QUOTE="oldschool, post: 3919351, member: 278"]
What is that in the water, looks like balls/ bouys of some kind? View attachment 945499
[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about the little black things, they are little black mud ducks. River is coated with them, this time of year.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Watching the vid with sound...there is a bit of a throttle lift before the event....but not a throttle cut...it was still making horsepower until it came outta the water...which means the prop shaft was being forced into the drive until it got dry. A difficult part about determining what happened in situations like this is trying to figure out whether the chicken or the egg came first. When I got pitched outta my boat...I spent some time looking at how the glass tore on the transom...and got a pretty good idea. The fact that water was pouring outta the gash in the gunnel visible in the video means that something failed. The fact the engine was still creating power means that the cause was not the propshaft pulling out of the coupler....that was a result. Based on what I can see, either something in the water was hit, or the hull simply had enough and finally gave up. You can only put 1000HP through an old fiberglass hull so many times before something lets go. At the end...it might not be anybody's fault...just a shitty day.

I blame Sanger...if they'd keep building flats instead of those faggot wake boats then we could all have cool shit laid up with modern technology instead of running 50 year old relics.

propcheck

Reaction score
Thank you. I did not know that i spend all my tim up river. I dont think they would be the cause.

QUOTE="BoatCop, post: 3921396, member: 26"]
[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about the little black things, they are little black mud ducks. River is coated with them, this time of year.
[/QUOTE]

brgrcru

Reaction score
Watching the vid with sound...there is a bit of a throttle lift before the event....but not a throttle cut...it was still making horsepower until it came outta the water...which means the prop shaft was being forced into the drive until it got dry. A difficult part about determining what happened in situations like this is trying to figure out whether the chicken or the egg came first. When I got pitched outta my boat...I spent some time looking at how the glass tore on the transom...and got a pretty good idea. The fact that water was pouring outta the gash in the gunnel visible in the video means that something failed. The fact the engine was still creating power means that the cause was not the propshaft pulling out of the coupler....that was a result. Based on what I can see, either something in the water was hit, or the hull simply had enough and finally gave up. You can only put 1000HP through an old fiberglass hull so many times before something lets go. At the end...it might not be anybody's fault...just a shitty day.

I blame Sanger...if they'd keep building flats instead of those faggot wake boats then we could all have cool shit laid up with modern technology instead of running 50 year old relics.

or you just build nice heavy flat, with medium HP, and enjoy your day, with a 80/90 mph river cruiser. that can stay in water overnight. ;)
I use to love those 100+ mph speed runs. now I'm just happy ,putting pump gas in it, hit the starter button and away we go, every time.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
or you just build nice heavy flat, with medium HP, and enjoy your day, with a 80/90 mph river cruiser. that can stay in water overnight. ;)
I use to love those 100+ mph speed runs. now I'm just happy ,putting pump gas in it, hit the starter button and away we go, every time.

Heavy flat with medium horsepower is gay....just get a bowrider at that point.

That being said, My next boat will probably be bowrider....I'm turning 40 in 2 weeks. I've become my dad. If anyone sees me towing a boat with a minivan...make sure to run me off the road for my own good.

4Waters

Reaction score

That being said, My next boat will probably be bowrider....I'm turning 40 in 2 weeks. I've become my dad. If anyone sees me towing a boat with a minivan...make sure to run me off the road for my own good.
I won't run you off the road but I will give you a swift kick in the nuts🤣

BigRedBryan

Reaction score

[/QUOTE]

Yup, mud hens, and that boat didn't hit anything... prop coupler failure... looks like a 4 bolt when it for sure should of been a 6 bolt...

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score

Yup, mud hens, and that boat didn't hit anything... prop coupler failure... looks like a 4 bolt when it for sure should of been a 6 bolt...[/QUOTE]Is there a general rule of thumb for how large a coupling? 4 bolt for sub 500hp and 6 bolt for 500+ hp kinda rule?

BigRedBryan

Reaction score
I've always run a 6 bolt with anything with a blower on it. Never had an issue in the past. But that's just me....

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
What I don't get is the obvious crack spewing water when it launches. The prop slides back, smacks the rudder, and hits the brakes...usually. At that point though, would it brake a stringer from flexing that much? The crack I'm referring to is in line with the mount plate roughly, so I don't know it that had anything to do with it.

As for the driver, I hope he recovers well. Spinal injuries from trauma like this take some time. Weakness in one extremity is a good thing comparatively speaking. Some can even be from swelling. I have about 80% in my left arm, after 15 years. At first they said I may not have any...then a little, and a little more.

Hopefully he'll be back running for the spring. He's already beaten some odds...that was a wicked tumble.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
The crack I'm referring to is in line with the mount plate roughly, so I don't know it that had anything to do with it.

Hull side or stringer? Which mount plate? Front/rear motor? V-drive?

oldschool

Reaction score

They’ll build you a new flat if you want one.

boatnam2

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
There are Buoys along that whole stretch of river, boats runs close to them but there is plenty of space between him and Bouys. That section has probably more fast boats making passes than any other spot on river, so everyone is quite aware of everything. When the river is down the farthest buoy out is maybe in 4ft of water maybe less, thats why they are out that far, if not you will be sitting on your prop some mornings.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Looking at the coupler and the bolt spacing, it appears to be the same size/length as a 6 bolt.

Reactions: DUN

brgrcru

Reaction score

thems are fightin words. see you on the dock . lol. i have a bow rider. lol

Boat Anchor

Reaction score
Looking at the coupler and the bolt spacing, it appears to be the same size/length as a 6 bolt.
Because the four bolt coupler in the photo appears to be the same size/length as a six bolt coupler, dose that mean that the four bolt coupler with the bolt spacing shown, and two less clamping bolts than a six bolt coupler, have the same clamping force as a six bolt coupler ???

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Because the four bolt coupler in the photo appears to be the same size/length as a six bolt coupler, dose that mean that the four bolt coupler with the bolt spacing shown, and two less clamping bolts than a six bolt coupler, have the same clamping force as a six bolt coupler ???
In my opinion, no it does not provide the same clamping force. The dashed lines represent where each bolts effective clamping area is, or is trying to clamp.
The 4 bolt, is trying to clamp a wider area between the two bolts as seen below. The bolt is clamping 1/2" on one side and 1" on the other. The force on the 1" side is getting weaker as it gets to the middle.
With the 6 bolt, each bolt is clamping equally between. The clamping force of the 6 bolt is exponentially higher.
In a basic wood framing scenario, 4 bolt would be like having a 12" o.c. floor joist (distance from end to center of bolt) then a 48" span then 12" then 12" to 36" again then 12". the 36" span isn't going to be able to support the load in the middle effectively, and will flex.
The 6 bolt, is 12" o.c. across all of them and will equally distribute the load across the entire length.

hopefully this somehow explains my thoughts.
Just glad the driver appears to be somewhat on the mend.
Take care,
James

4BOLT.jpg
6BOLT.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Years ago I was with Lee Spindler running his turbo schiada snd we had something very similar happen. We were driving along and all of a sudden the bow jabbed down and the boat kinda grabbed sideways for about 50’ and then it popped back up. We assumed we hit some sort of mooring ball that was submerged.. happened right about where this video took place.
It didn’t damage the boat

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Years ago I was with Lee Spindler running his turbo schiada snd we had something very similar happen. We were driving along and all of a sudden the bow jabbed down and the boat kinda grabbed sideways for about 50’ and then it popped back up. We assumed we hit some sort of mooring ball that was submerged.. happened right about where this video took place.
It didn’t damage the boat

There have always been stories of a fresh water manatee living in Parker with some prop strikes on it's back. I believe it.

manatee.jpg

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
I haven't seen it mentioned here, but do any of you remember a couple of years back when we had a thread about the padlock /chain deals with floats attached? It might be a long shot, but I wouldn't rule it out...