WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Possible Parker Strip Incident?

poncho

Reaction score
It’s been a few years, but I could swear that my hydro had a bolt on the coupler that had to come all the way out for the shaft to slide out?
Mine is drilled and tapped for using two of the bolts to go the opposite direction and spread it allowing me to slide the shaft out.

poncho

Reaction score
I lost a coupler a month ago. Came loose from what I can only assume was my ignition cutting out in some light chop. Probably should have checked it, at some point.... Pulled a 180 after I pushed the
switch back down and whatnot(another fuckin mystery, how did the switch fall UP in decent water?) Gave some light throttle and over-revved, looked down, and saw the safety collar sitting on the shaft log. My boat isn't a blown gas flattie but the collar worked and I'll consider myself lucky that I was barely on plane when the failure occurred.

PS:

4 bolt 1" couplers are seemingly impossible to find right now. If anyone has one, I would be very interested.
People will spend 10K building an engine but be happy with a 30 year old part that could be disastrous, this is not an area i'm going to try and save money.
Phils parts are top notch.

1" HEAVY DUTY STAINLESS STEEL COUPLER (d21ent.com)

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Mine is drilled for using two of the bolts to go the opposite direction and spread it allowing me to slide the shaft out.

Yeah I remember that as well.
Andy the bandit walked me through it the first time I took it out.
(He did a bunch of cool stuff to my vdrive)
But for some reason I remember it had like a slight “trough” across the shaft for one or more of the bolts?

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
I’ve had a shaft snap with a primary and secondary lock. As soon as I lost power the result was violent and tore through both of them (whip strut and main strut were also destroyed). Until you have experienced it you have no idea how catastrophic of a failure it is. Speed changes everything and even high dollar parts take a beating. I’ve seen that boat up close and it was a solid machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DUN

Reaction score

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
The prop is always pushing the shaft forward. Impossible to slide back, unless the driver backs off (no indication of that) or it strikes something. When the shaft slides back and drives the prop into the rudder (at any kind of high speed), the engine torque is transferred to the hull and the boat usually rotates on its axis. It won't push the bow upwards, like in the video. Without inspecting the boat, my analysis is hitting something in the water. There are several mooring buoys/lines/chains set pretty far out in the water, in that area. A partially deflated float could be just at, or below the surface. From the video, it looks exactly like striking a partially submerged object. I presume the boat had fins on the bottom. Those hitting something would launch it exactly like in the video.

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
Boat failure or he hit something but I didn't hear him come off the gas which is when the prop shaft would slide back. Hole in the side of the boat makes me think there may have been more to it.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The prop is always pushing the shaft forward. Impossible to slide back, unless the driver backs off (no indication of that) or it strikes something. When the shaft slides back and drives the prop into the rudder (at any kind of high speed), the engine torque is transferred to the hull and the boat usually rotates on its axis. It won't push the bow upwards, like in the video. Without inspecting the boat, my analysis is hitting something in the water. There are several mooring buoys/lines/chains set pretty far out in the water, in that area. A partially deflated float could be just at, or below the surface. From the video, it looks exactly like striking a partially submerged object. I presume the boat had fins on the bottom. Those hitting something would launch it exactly like in the video.

That’s what I keep thinking.
Thrust is actually transferred to the vdrive through the shaft.
They dont fall out under power unless something just breaks or they are hanging on by a thread to start with?

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
Well wishes to the driver and hopes for speedy recovery. It always sucks to see this especially when you have and race a flat bottom also.

I saw on FB that this boat had been crashed before. I do not know anything about that, but it could have played a part in a failure.

Last edited:

500bbc

Reaction score
That’s what I keep thinking.
Thrust is actually transferred to the vdrive through the shaft.
They dont fall out under power unless something just breaks or they are hanging on by a thread to start with?
Not hanging by a thread, under power the prop is pushing the shaft to the drive. Video looks to me like he hit a roller or something in the water like BC says. It doesn't look like he lifts .
Boat is a very light layup and really came apart. Driver is alert, mobile and heading in to surgery this morning.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Not hanging by a thread, under power the prop is pushing the shaft to the drive. Video looks to me like he hit a roller or something in the water like BC says. It doesn't look like he lifts .
Boat is a very light layup and really came apart. Driver is alert, mobile and heading in to surgery this morning.

Man that’s good to hear!!

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

Water is gushing out the side, even as it’s airborne. Telling me that it had a massive amount if water inside the hull already. When it dipped the bottom must have broken and gulped up a shit ton of water.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I’ve had a shaft snap with a primary and secondary lock. As soon as I lost power the result was violent and tore through both of them (whip strut and main strut were also destroyed). Until you have experienced it you have no idea how catastrophic of a failure it is. Speed changes everything and even high dollar parts take a beating. I’ve seen that boat up close and it was a solid machine.

I’ve been in a boat that lost a blade and ripped the strut lose from the bottom. Its very violent and the sound was crazy loud. Happens so fast, you are basically just along for the ride.

Dana757

Reaction score
He was on the hammer hard. Might not have been going that fast at that instant but he was headed there. Massive stress on the boat at that point. Good to hear he's alert.

HitIt

Reaction score
For those that are saying that he didn't hit anything, sure looks like a roller to me. From the IG video

weeeee.jpg

500bbc

Reaction score
Turn fin is bent to shit, both stringers broken in line with turn fin, prop never contacted the hull.
Both ears have very minor damage where they contacted rudder. Looks like he hit something.

AzMandella

Reaction score
This is exactly what I was going to say . As long as he is on the throttle the shaft would continue to push forward . If the coupler was loose the shaft would only come out when he lifted . And yes the boat would corkscrew .

ikester

Reaction score
What about hitting one of those 'buoys' that are all along Echo. I saw one a couple weeks ago that was out farther in the river than the others.

500bbc

Reaction score
This is exactly what I was going to say . As long as he is on the throttle the shaft would continue to push forward . If the coupler was loose the shaft would only come out when he lifted . And yes the boat would corkscrew .
The hull is breached when he comes out of the water, prop did not contact hull. Shaft is also bent to shit.

500bbc

Reaction score
Take a picture of the stringers in line with the turn fin.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
One of my biggest fear on my vdrive junk was/is the shaft coming out and going into the rudder. I ran a collar just off the strut, and another just off the seal. Might be overkill, but that shit scares the F outta me!

Prayers for the guy involved in today’s deal!

Also a nice drill dimple in the shafts though the split coupler with 3/8-24 set screw into both the v-drive shaft and the prop shaft.

poncho

Reaction score
Also a nice drill dimple in the shafts though the split coupler with 3/8-24 set screw into both the v-drive shaft and the prop shaft.
That's what i did once i was certain of the location.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

That would be my guess

Your ad here

Reaction score
Watching the video it looks like he hit a wake, roller as some call it, and it went air born. I think it was just more than the wake that caused the accident. It looks like it has a lot of power. It has a spoiler. I'm guessing the spoiler put downforce on the hull and with that much power was stressing the hull and that little wake is what caused the hull to break but also caught air from said wake. Can't tell if the boat has plates, maybe the position of the plates had something to do with it. I could see the prop shaft being pulled out of the coupler on re entry into the water.

2Driver

Reaction score
It looked like he was a bit out from the mooring balls, although a few in that area along with the lines are out too far imo.

If that was the case wouldnt something be wrapped up in the shaft or a mooring bouy pulled out.

Probably should wait to hear from the driver. I bet he would never have felt it if he was in the Magic Nordic picklefork.

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
[QUOTE="2Driver, post: 3919897, member: I bet he would never have felt it if he was in the Magic Nordic picklefork.
[/QUOTE]

Ouch!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

He only has to back of for a mere fraction of a second, just enough for the shaft to slide 2-3" back, now the coupler is disconnected, it isn't ever coming forward again because there is no torque input to drive it anymore.

Once it jams against the rudder you have created your own underwater ski ramp where all of the water pressure pushing against the back of the blades is now transmitted into vertical force and drag, simultaneously driving the nose into the water and the transom out of the water.

AzMandella

Reaction score
Watching the video it looks like he hit a wake, roller as some call it, and it went air born. I think it was just more than the wake that caused the accident. It looks like it has a lot of power. It has a spoiler. I'm guessing the spoiler put downforce on the hull and with that much power was stressing the hull and that little wake is what caused the hull to break but also caught air from said wake. Can't tell if the boat has plates, maybe the position of the plates had something to do with it. I could see the prop shaft being pulled out of the coupler on re entry into the water.
The nose does come down a little before he launches . Most likely because at the initial contact it hit the turn fin causing the nose to dip and then it launched on whatever he hit . There is almost no way the prop shaft came out under acceleration .

Your ad here

Reaction score
Did the driver have safety gear on? and did I see a helmet fly off the drivers head?

AzMandella

Reaction score
Once it jams against the rudder you have created your own underwater ski ramp where all of the water pressure pushing against the back of the blades is now transmitted into vertical force and drag, simultaneously driving the nose into the water and the transom out of the water.

I disagree . If the shaft came out and hit the rudder the boat would corkscrew . Not go launching up in the air like it did . Even a 1ft roller most likey would not make it launch like that .

cofooter

Reaction score
He only has to back of for a mere fraction of a second, just enough for the shaft to slide 2-3" back, now the coupler is disconnected, it isn't ever coming forward again because there is no torque input to drive it anymore.

Remember this. They said prop shaft broke on this ski boat, a lot of people speculated he caught an anchor rope. Never heard anything definitive about the cause of this.

http://instagr.am/p/Bnm2LWagcDn/

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Remember this. They said prop shaft broke on this ski boat, a lot of people speculated he caught an anchor rope. Never heard anything definitive about the cause of this.

http://instagr.am/p/Bnm2LWagcDn/

That is why I have an aquamet 22 prop shaft and a steel safety collar even on my old Malibu ski boat. I have watched that video many times and am surprised how violent it stops at only 36 M.P.H.

oldschool

Reaction score
I disagree . If the shaft came out and hit the rudder the boat would corkscrew . Not go launching up in the air like it did . Even a 1ft roller most likey would not make it launch like that .
I had the shaft and prop come out and hit the rudder. Boat stayed straight as an arrow, but nose dived. This is with a C500 v drive which has a different coupler, output flange actually.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Sure hope the driver is ok...Not that it matters but any idea how fast he was going ? I've never been in a boat crash let alone in a Blown Alcohol, just wondering what it takes to have that happen.

brgrcru

Reaction score
this a good reason, always to wear a good life line jacket . even if you think, your just going for a putt. it never is just a putt ,with boats like this. buckled up and zip up and make sure all straps are buckled up.
never leave mine on the beach anymore.
could of been way worse and devastating.