WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Possible temporary boat - need value advice

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m not gonna get into all the ins and outs of what’s up with the “shuffle” we got going on.. but short and shorter is either keep the Hallett and repower or sell..

Either way I’m gonna need a temp boat if the Hallett is down at Boostpower for months, or a new boat is getting built.

I found this boat for 32k. Has 279 hours is a 2003 with a updated 2010 wake tower on it. Guy spent 21k on interior / tower / stereo etc.. looks clean. It is a Malibu Wake Setter

I know Jack shit about tow boats. I do know this isn’t a surf boat because it’s a direct drive.. but I was thinking I could teach kids to ski / wakeboard / tube etc have fun with it. My Hallett is a little big for that kinda stuff.

What are your thoughts on this for 32k?

PS if you are just gonna make shitty comments about antler boats stop.. the kids need to do some water activities, and this is something I wouldn’t mind leaving in the marina or PArker for 3-4 weeks at a time. My other boats not so much.

79C3B09E-130C-4E42-B3E3-4D242D72BFBF.png
B6436FE9-7C31-4746-9F24-4F73A90702FC.png
B86BF34C-E2DE-4096-B258-E654E77991DA.png
1023F2DC-DEE1-4CC0-A4C6-2254E1F3354E.png

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Building a new boat will take more time.
Your Hallett will be repowered quicker than a new build
Not sure a roll bar boat is the best image for the guy that owns a performance boating website but hey?
I’m just a boat painter🤷‍♂️
A used pontoon would probably suite you better?
Pontoon Dave’s place..
has a nicer ring than Roll bar Dave’s Place.

satellitemike

Reaction score
For you intended purpose it will be great!
When you get tired of it or the kids lose interest you can sell it and not lose your ass on it. If you buy it I'll teach you how to drive it, lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

SS-C

Reaction score
Looks nice and clean to me, and considering today's pricing well...

Singleton

Reaction score
Great boat to get the kids into water sports.
Now the bad, current owner dumped $$ into it and IMO is trying to recoup that $$.
Worth 20-25 IMO.

If I had your money, I would purchase this, sell the Hallett and get a toon. Then be a 2 boat family.
best memories I have are running my grandfathers and dads boat 24/7 in the summers from 7th grade through college!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Building a new boat will take more time.
Your Hallett will be repowered quicker than a new build
Not sure a roll bar boat is the best image for the guy that owns a performance boating website but hey?
I’m just a boat painter🤷‍♂️
A used pontoon would probably suite you better?
Pontoon Dave’s place..
has a nicer ring than Roll bar Dave’s Place.

Whatever my next boat is gonna be it's gonna be for the family..

So if I do decide to sell my Hallett then as we sit we are buying a twin rig toon.. They aren't cheap no matter how you slice it (new / used etc..) we are looking at 150K+. and we would have 1 boat.

If I bought this.. I have options. Now we have a family friendly boat, that the wife / kids like.. I can go get a blown or Twin turbo v drive if I feel like it and nobody is gonna say anything.. LOL.

Either way it's just a "temp" boat that we might keep forever I dunno.. but the thought process for me is spend some on this, as opposed to spending a shit ton on "X?" Plus looking at this boat I think it'd be kinda fun to party in as well?

RD

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Family friend has that exact boat. It skis well, wakeboards ok, doesn’t surf for shit without a ballast bag and a shaper.

Overall it’s a great boat.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Great boat to get the kids into water sports.
Now the bad, current owner dumped $$ into it and IMO is trying to recoup that $$.
Worth 20-25 IMO.

If I had your money, I would purchase this, sell the Hallett and get a toon. Then be a 2 boat family.
best memories I have are running my grandfathers and dads boat 24/7 in the summers from 7th grade through college!

I looked all over boat trader and the only things I found comparable were 28K with a ton more hours.. To me it looked like it was 2-3K for the upgraded Tower etc.. and I like that enough that I'd spill for that because it doesn't look like a 1980's jungle gym.. LOL

RD

Singleton

Reaction score
I looked all over boat trader and the only things I found comparable were 28K with a ton more hours.. To me it looked like it was 2-3K for the upgraded Tower etc.. and I like that enough that I'd spill for that because it doesn't look like a 1980's jungle gym.. LOL

RD

I have pre Covid pricing in my head. In the end, if you are happy with price, that is all that counts

Tooned Up

Reaction score
I loved my 247 LSV Wake Setter and Malibu’s quality is top notch. Tow boats are a ton of fun, very versatile and like anything if well maintained well run and run. I can tell you out of all of my boats, I used that one probably 4 to 1 over the others as in 250 hours in 7 months. If it wasn’t for the rough ride I would without a doubt still own it. 32k might be a bit steep IMO, but with all that was done to it and today’s insane market conditions who knows... If it fits the bill then go for it.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Seems like good money in this current bot price environment. I love what I used to call the "flopability factor" of that setup. The L shaped rear facing couch is awesome. Good for people just hangin' out and for an observer. Most direct drives don't have that. I say good to go.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Never seen an interior like that in a Malibu direct drive. Kinda like it.

That's why I liked it as well.. LOL

The owner just texted me a video from inside the boat, and it looks bigger in the pics than it is.. In the pics it looks like stadium seating in the back.. :D Realistically it first 6-7 back there easily, but you are gonna be banging knees.. I was imagining coolers in between the people when I first saw the pics.

RD

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
It's a great boat for what yo want to do and getting them into water sports is a great idea. The p[rice seemed high to me for a 17 year old boat, but with that said all used boats are selling high right now. With the low hours and if it's as nice as you say it is, it seems like a good buy.

Bajastu

Reaction score
A 2003 should only bring about 23-26k. $32k is a COVID price.

Reactions: TPC

EarpRider

Reaction score
Those big speakers might make it hard to add a bimini top, but great boat to teach the kids to ski.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Hell yeah! My kid is all about wakeboarding now, tubing not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
21k of upgrades? Updates tower etc? (That couldn’t have been cheap)

The Illusion tower that came on that boat originally were known to crack... I think the replacement for the new style tower was 5 to 6k.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The Illusion tower that came on that boat originally were known to crack... I think the replacement for the new style tower was 5 to 6k.

what are your thoughts? Good boat for the kids? It look for a v drive?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I'd say go for it RD as I think the kids would like it and it would even be a small enough craft that Stacy could possibly take them out in it on her own if you were occupied with other business. Should you not like it in a few months just sell it next spring and recoup your investment.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
That’s a 20k boat. Now...... what your willing to pay right now????? Direct Drives to NOT bring big $$.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
@RiverDave What would you re power the hallett with? I’m all over the place myself. If I get my cwi I’m buying a new boat just because.

stingray11

Reaction score
Here's what NADA shows,I I assume you know about their website they're saying boats new 37k may want to do your own search with zip code
Screenshot_20200901-212156_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It’s gonna be a $5k production to get a bimini on that thing and the stereo reworked to fit the bimini. Whatever your discount on that would be on that I have no idea.

Other than that, if you like it, but it.

What would you do on the Hallett? Go through the long blocks and add Whipples?

I’d stick with the pontoon plan personally.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
They make a good boat and for the kids you will enjoy it. Pricing is what someone is willing to pay. It seems today people are ready to pay. I would mention you are pretty friendly with a number of people who are pretty hooked up on used boat pricing, you could probably ask them if its crazy stupid priced or if the baller adds the guy did make it a 30k boat.

I think you and the family would enjoy it for a year. My friend had this basic unit and it was perfect on Powell. Good luck

Bajastu

Reaction score
21k of upgrades? Updates tower etc? (That couldn’t have been cheap)

Unfortunately the upgrades surpassed the boats value.

Example- I have a 1985 Hallett 19SS with a New Evinrude 200 HP Etec G2, Martinez interior, and all new rigging. It’s not worth the 35k I spent to fix it up but it’s a nice boat.

Get a v-drive, they hold their value more than the direct drives.

Brobee

Reaction score
Good looking boat and Malibu’s definitely hold their value. Surfing behind it is possible with a suck gate and some ballast bags. It’ll be perfect for the family to get into all types of watersports. The stereo looks legit and the tower updates the styling a lot. I’m not sure you’ll be happy with the speed and ride, but as an interim boat I bet you’ll be ok. I’m slightly biased, but I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Make sure your dentures are glued in cause you're not gonna like the ride in the rough stuff. Great boat and that interior is pretty cool

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at tow boats lately to replace our toon. That’s as nice of a setup as you will get going direct drive. I’ve seen a few with that interior style in the past. BUT, that’s WAY high on price for that boat. Also, it’s going to ride like crap compared to a V-drive. That’s a smooth water, mid week ski boat. Great for skiing, so-so wake boat, not a surf boat at all.
If you dump a ton of money into a car, does it make it worth as much as you put into it? Nope. In mid 30’s or closer to 40K you can get a really nice V-drive that is much more capable.

2Driver

Reaction score
I take it you have driven around the lake in a tow boat before?

How do you judge price today, it’s nuts. If you want it and don’t care about taking too much of a bath later buy it. Most reasonable stuff is gone in 36 hours.
Set up your searches in CL so they send you feeds. Occasionally I‘ll see people disconnected from todays pricing and list some real nice boats for pre-covid, book pricing.

Reactions: DWC

Mack

Reaction score
Boats might get cheaper in the future but I highly doubt it. With the price of new stuff going threw the roof buy this boat get the kids into water sports this year. Sell It in a couple years for what you are paying today. Kids grow up in hurry, get on the water and teach them. Your kids will enjoy water sports. We bought a jet ski this summer to teach the kids (11 and13 years old) to get up on skis and wakeboard so I would not destroy my drive gears in the daytona and it has been a blast teaching my kids this summer to ski. Once they are competent getting out of the water I will pull them with the Daytona but until that time the jet ski works perfect for that

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
I would say no on this one. What is the length it looks 20/21 and thats really small for a family in my opinion.. Also direct drive and someone mentioned no bimini which can get pricey to put on. I taught a 12 yo to wakesurf in one day this weekend up on Mohave. All smiles from him and I know he totally hooked on it. I know this board hates those boats but I think you need to find something that would work for that also.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I would say no on this one. What is the length it looks 20/21 and thats really small for a family in my opinion.. Also direct drive and someone mentioned no bimini which can get pricey to put on. I taught a 12 yo to wakesurf in one day this weekend up on Mohave. All smiles from him and I know he totally hooked on it. I know this board hates those boats but I think you need to find something that would work for that also.

it is a 23XTI

HST4ME

Reaction score
Prolly a 20k boat on this side of the country. The kids will love it, low maintenance and easy to handle but that seems like it's on the optimistic side of the loot spectrum.

squeezer

Reaction score
That layout in a direct drive is fairly uncommon... For your use it will be great, but unloading a direct drive in a market that only wants V's is tougher.

If you plan on keeping it for a while you will like how usable it is. If its truly a temporary boat you might want to pass.

Bajastu

Reaction score
I live in wakeboard / water ski central over here in Canyon Lake, CA. Look over here on CL, OfferUp, and FB market place. There are always some great deals on direct drives and v-drives.

Reactions: DWC

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Whatever my next boat is gonna be it's gonna be for the family..

So if I do decide to sell my Hallett then as we sit we are buying a twin rig toon.. They aren't cheap no matter how you slice it (new / used etc..) we are looking at 150K+. and we would have 1 boat.

If I bought this.. I have options. Now we have a family friendly boat, that the wife / kids like.. I can go get a blown or Twin turbo v drive if I feel like it and nobody is gonna say anything.. LOL.

Either way it's just a "temp" boat that we might keep forever I dunno.. but the thought process for me is spend some on this, as opposed to spending a shit ton on "X?" Plus looking at this boat I think it'd be kinda fun to party in as well?

RD
You wouldn’t know unless you try?
I think if I were River Dave?
I’d be hitting Preston about letting go of one of the ones he’s stocking up?
If he has one close, needing power?
Why not?
Same could be said to Thane, or Jake, or Anderson, or ??

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Way high. Direct drives beat the shit out if you with that progressively flattening keel. And for that kinda money, that 21 Lavey with the 496 in the classifieds here would be in my garage over this in .02 seconds.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
it is a 23XTI

Thats probably big enough. It looks a little tight in the back section. You won't actually be able to fully wakesurf more like get towed behind the boat on your surf board but its still fun we did it for years on a deckboat we just filled a couple big ballast bags and went at it best we could.

mbrown2

Reaction score
That's why I liked it as well.. LOL

The owner just texted me a video from inside the boat, and it looks bigger in the pics than it is.. In the pics it looks like stadium seating in the back.. :D Realistically it first 6-7 back there easily, but you are gonna be banging knees.. I was imagining coolers in between the people when I first saw the pics.

RD
Think that is the XT......we had the 23 LSV 2004... The LSV and XT's are great boats. Ours gave us 500+ trouble free hours of fun before the new boat. Its funny in that the new boats want everyone to face backwards...the XT was ahead of its time :)

I love the big twin pontoons....but fock that is a lot of boat to manage....heck with this thing your kids can beat the heck out of it and it is so slow they will likely be able to take it out themselves pretty soon and manage the whole program. I tend to like a boat with a purpose...My wife's small rib gets us to fox's and can park anywhere (which is key there); the liberator is for my itch, and the mastercraft is the boat that can take 18 comfortably anywhere and pull kids, tow folks or just float......

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
This was posted on the nautique board yesterday as a craigslist find

Also my daughter wants a boat and I've got looking at 22ft Axis boats same hull as the Malibus. You can pick one up for 50-60K. She going to wait cause she is getting married next year.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Check out the boats for sale in Fargo North Dakota was just up there hunting