WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Possibly scammed through DM on RDP??? ((( Attention All Classified ad Posters, Please Read. )))

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
I don't want to jump the gun, but I have a bad feeling about a transaction I made after being contacted through DM on RDP for a part I am looking for. I thought you couldn't send any DM's on RDP until you have at least 10 posts or something? I thought that was one of the ways to try and keep scammers and phishing away?

I'm still holding out hope that it is legit, but after having a little concern after a couple days, I looked back and noticed that the RDP member has never posted on RDP, had just joined that same day, yet was still able to send me a DM? So I'm pretty sure I got scammed, and it is what it is. Figured I'd post to see if something happened on the site to allow DM's to go through without having 10 posts. Or help someone else not get screwed like I probably did by paying attention upfront on if they get a DM and confirm the person seems to be a legitimate member.

The DM said his friend may have the part I was looking for and gave me his email. I reached out, all communication was good via email. I got pictures of two different parts, all the measurements I needed, paid $1 via venmo to confirm it was the right person, etc. But I don't think I'll be getting what I paid for. Oh well.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately that sounds like what some others have posted "his friend".

Javajoe

Reaction score
I’m sure it was a Gmail account. That’s the email of choice it seems. I was contacted twice about a friend

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately that sounds like what some others have posted "his friend".
I hadn't seen other posts like that unfortunately. I am almost more bummed about not getting the part than being out the money. All the emails back and forth, pictures, etc were all good. Oh well. Back to square one.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Kinda like this? After the emails back and forth I opted out and quit communicating cause it seemed too much like a scam. This was for some SBC over transom headers.

Screenshot_20201003-123159_Samsung Internet.jpg

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's not just RDP.
It's been happening on other forums and we try to warn people of the signs.
The first and only red flag is they have never posted.
The strange thing is they manage to avoid the spam filters before registering
I made a fake want to buy listing and right away i got a private message from someone without any prior posts
He didn't even see the "administrator" title under my user name lol

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
PayPal charges a fee so it can act as a third party. Venmo doesn’t guarantee a refund, ever. Use PayPal, don’t send money as a “gift” and have some security when you send money to people.

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't catch that he had never posted until after the fact. I saw the DM through my email and reached out without logging into RDP. All communication was totally normal. I've sold a bunch of stuff on craigslist and can see the scammers from a mile away, this Guy just got me. Surprised they are getting through the minimum post requirement to be able to DM.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Kinda like this? After the emails back and forth I opted out and quit communicating cause it seemed too much like a scam. This was for some SBC over transom headers.

View attachment 928542

Did you ever find SBC headers?

I've used these:

Down side up.

Dan'l

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Did you ever find SBC headers?

I've used these:

Down side up.

Dan'l

You actually sent me a PM on those the same day that scammer did.

My buddy actually ordered a set after I showed him your PM. Problem is the next trip out he broke his crank in half so he is rebuilding it now. Good thing is he will have fresh new headers for next season!

And thank you for the info!

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
Does anyone really say Kind Regards? :rolleyes: I almost got roped into an online puppy deal. Scammers.The same dam puppies in their website have been 10 weeks old for 8 months.
“Kind regards...” lol, also:

“Remit payment”
“I am reaching out to you”

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
No offense to the OP but people still fall for this shit? Are the prices a "steal" and to hard to resist or what? Only time I deal with scammer's is when I'm bored and feel like fucking with someone. It's always really obvious these walking pieces of Hillary discharge are scammer's in their first communication. Sorry you got screwed this shit pisses me off and there are zero ramifications or recourse usually

sintax

Reaction score
What was the part and the username?? How much $$

I will talk to the IT guys about reinstating the 10 post rule

I dont know if it would be less popular, but maybe set an acct age + post limit to even SEE the classifieds

Sherpa

Reaction score
I got
You actually sent me a PM on those the same day that scammer did.

My buddy actually ordered a set after I showed him your PM. Problem is the next trip out he broke his crank in half so he is rebuilding it now. Good thing is he will have fresh new headers for next season!

And thank you for the info!

I gotta apologize for not getting back to justwannarace about selling the OT exhaust I’ve got buried in the garage. We got stupid busy at work and on my days off I was fabricating crap for work also..

—Sherpa

(Not a scammer) lol

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
I got

I gotta apologize for not getting back to justwannarace about selling the OT exhaust I’ve got buried in the garage. We got stupid busy at work and on my days off I was fabricating crap for work also..

—Sherpa

(Not a scammer) lol

No worries at all.. I'm still interested. Get me a price and pictures!

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
No offense to the OP but people still fall for this shit? Are the prices a "steal" and to hard to resist or what? Only time I deal with scammer's is when I'm bored and feel like fucking with someone. It's always really obvious these walking pieces of Hillary discharge are scammer's in their first communication. Sorry you got screwed this shit pisses me off and there are zero ramifications or recourse usually
I'm the first one to think the same as you... I'm mad at myself for not catching this. But all my email conversations were normal. Not the unusual verbiage that we have all seen before. The pictures, everything I asked, even offered up the dimensions I needed before I mentioned what I needed. I was in a jam looking for the part from a timing perspective, and got caught up in a perfect storm and he got me. Price was fair, but it was more about availability of the part when I couldn't get it new. We deal with tests at work to not get caught up on in this kind of stuff all the time, sometimes you just need the part and want to be able to use your boat and get excited. Oh well, could've been worse. Just wanted to post to hopefully help someone else not make the mistake I did....

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
The email part should have been the first clue. If the guy really had a friend he would have just given you his phone number instead of an email address.
I get these from CL ads all the time. "Hey, my friend want to buy your car. Can you email him at I'[email protected] with more info?" No! All the info is in my ad along with my phone number.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Holy shit.. spotted scammer right away. I guess if you're interested in a part or something you get suckered in... but man, just read the style of writing and it becomes obvious.

Hopefully the OP is not out too much money.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I have gotten some amazing deals on RDP where until I got the item in my hand I thought they were all too good to be true. But I paid in person face to face so not much risk of a scam.

K-DOG

Reaction score
Yes it is happening allot on here. I posted a wanted ad for a RZR and I received about 5 different texts that were all scams. They all were allot more personable than the normal craiglist scams but after awhile you could tell it was BS. The last one said he worked at a dealership, gave me his name, and said he could get me a great OTD price. He sent pics and I noticed it was from a dealership right by me. I called and no one by that name worked there.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
The email part should have been the first clue. If the guy really had a friend he would have just given you his phone number instead of an email address.
I get these from CL ads all the time. "Hey, my friend want to buy your car. Can you email him at I'[email protected] with more info?" No! All the info is in my ad along with my phone number.

This ^^^^^

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So again.. What was the part? How much money was involved? What was the screen name?

RD

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Whatcha out when they try to rent your vacation rental at the last min also

Mike K

Reaction score
Yeah I got scammed too. It was the one about tons of money off reconditioned tools from Dewalt / Home Depot ... like an idiot I took the bait ... I was thinking cuz the message was from another inmate here that it was legit. Yeah ... I thought I was buying a reconditioned Dewalt Hedge Trimmer ... only lost $50 ... got a weird reply in Chinese. So a $50 lesson . Worth it if u ask me. DUH.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Initial conversation on M41 boat
Screenshot_20201006-101608_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-101616_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-101626_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-101635_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-101646_Gmail.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Text conversation with the guy offering the Miss Geico boats. Fucking wack job!!

Screenshot_20201006-101901_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-101911_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-101921_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-101931_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-101945_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-101954_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-101959_Messages.jpg

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
WTF... I’m Joe Stilwell. He got my name from that earlier email to him where he tried to scam me. Fuckin idiot
Yeah, just picked that up as I went and re read the thread.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There is enough information already that it’s possible to track this guy down.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
I hadn't seen other posts like that unfortunately. I am almost more bummed about not getting the part than being out the money. All the emails back and forth, pictures, etc were all good. Oh well. Back to square one.
Sucks. At least it wasn't a known member. Bought a set of Alcoas for my Moho off a known member and come to find out 2 of the 4 were cracked, cell disconnected...I now have 4 REALLY expensive hose reels!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
So again.. What was the part? How much money was involved? What was the screen name?

RD
I responded to your DM as well. I was looking for a flame arrestor, out $200, screen name was davidweatherly616

If it is the same guy that is scamming others, would be awesome to catch. For my own individual issue, it is what it is, he got me because I wasn't careful enough.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I responded to your DM as well. I was looking for a flame arrestor, out $200, screen name was davidweatherly616

If it is the same guy that is scamming others, would be awesome to catch. For my own individual issue, it is what it is, he got me because I wasn't careful enough.

was it the same phone number that is in osb’s posts?

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I am on multiple boating forums. This problem has become rampant. However, those that are targeted the most, are those that have put up a “wanted to buy” post. This gives the scammer the ability to research the specific item, so as he can now sound more legitimate.

My advice..... don’t post WTB “want to buy” threads. Your just asking for the scammers to contact you. It’s a shame that this is the new reality when it comes to forums.

A common thread....... “my friend has what you are looking for!” Here is his contact info.

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
was it the same phone number that is in osb’s posts?
No, I never got a phone number and didn't text like OSB's interaction. Mine was all email and payment through venmo. Here is the info I have...
email = [email protected]
he gave this info for venmo, [email protected], name came up on venmo as Daniel Berthilson @angeldan. I never received or used a phone number. I checked previous transactions before I sent, there were only a few.

white tortilla

Reaction score
C901A3EC-B6C4-4D61-A78A-2C770A36ED5D.jpeg
I sent the number a text about small block ford headers just for fun. He requested I send via cash app. Which he is waiting on my payment to mail them to me. I told him later today I would send it. 😂😂😂