WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Powell getting worse

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 30, 2021
General Park Information: 928-608-6200
Media Inquiries Only: Kendall Neisess (Temporary) 928-608-8685 (mobile)

Predicted Closure of Wahweap Main Launch Ramp
Wahweap Auxiliary Ramp Will Provide Temporary Access

PAGE, AZ - Lake Powell boaters are reminded that the Wahweap Main Launch Ramp in South Lake Powell is expected to become unusable for all motorized watercraft once lake water levels reach an elevation of 3551 feet. Calculations based on current rates of water loss estimate that the lake may reach this elevation within 10 to 14 days. Visitors should be aware that once lake elevations reach this level, the Wahweap Main Launch Ramp will be closed to the launch and retrieval of all motorized watercraft. Glen Canyon National Recreation Area staff are monitoring conditions at the Wahweap Main Launch Ramp closely in order to ensure the ramp remains open as long as possible.

Glen Canyon National Recreation Area is also announcing plans to improve the Wahweap Auxiliary Ramp, a previously submerged legacy launch ramp adjacent to Wahweap Main Launch Ramp. The Wahweap Auxiliary Ramp will provide temporary and limited boater access to South Lake Powell while rehabilitation of the Stateline Auxiliary Ramp is underway. The Wahweap Auxiliary Ramp will also allow for critical emergency retrievals of damaged or stranded vessels.

The Wahweap Auxiliary Ramp was designed and constructed in the 1960s as a temporary ramp for small vessels and has been fully or partially submerged since that time. Due to the friable state of the remaining asphalt ramp materials, saturated soils below the asphalt ramp, limited room to turn vessels around at the top of the ramp, and utilities along the roadway that will provide access to the ramp, the Wahweap Auxiliary Ramp will not accommodate all classes of vessels. Launching at the temporary Wahweap Auxiliary Ramp will be limited to motorized vessels that are less than 36 feet in length and do not require Arizona Department of Transportation Oversize Permitting for highway travel (up to 8 feet 6 inches vessel beam [width]). Boaters are advised that this ramp will only be available to boaters during predetermined operating hours that will be posted for the public. Temporary closures and/or limited launching may occur to install additional ramp materials and assess ramp conditions. These restrictions are necessary to preserve the integrity of the ramp structure and to ensure the ramp remains available for boaters, administrative use, and emergencies while the restoration of the Stateline Auxiliary Ramp is underway. Construction timeline projections indicate the Stateline Auxiliary Ramp may be open for partial launching as early as Labor Day weekend. We will provide updates as they become available.

Lake Powell water level fluctuations are determined by a wide range of factors and it is not possible to predict daily elevations with absolute certainty. It is imperative that visitors check the park’s website often about the status of preferred launch destinations before heading to the lake. Information about ramp status is available 24-7 on our website at: Changing Lake Levels - Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service).

-NPS-

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
So if Wahweep closes, what's left? Nothing? (other than these older auxilliary ramps they are trying to rehabilitate just to have something?)

FCT

Reaction score
Drove by Shasta today and couldn’t believe how low it is 😳

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
So if Wahweep closes, what's left? Nothing? (other than these older auxilliary ramps they are trying to rehabilitate just to have something?)

We used the valet ramp at Antelope point last week and a girl in the office felt that every day was an extra day. Luckily she wasn’t right with her prediction of them having to close last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score

riverrat4lfe

Reaction score
Water level in the lower Colorado river has been at record highs all year here is a picture of our sand bar

IMG_1020.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikes56

Reaction score
Anyone wonder why the news media isn’t screaming about this? They did the last time the water levels were low. There’s some government BS going on, we just don’t know about it.

2Driver

Reaction score
Buddy in Ouray said this has been the wettest Colorado summer since he's lived there - 15 years.

If I was to wear my tin hat I would say It sure seems like a convenient plan helped along by the government to get to the environmentalist goal.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Damnit I knew it! How cool was it back then when y’all switched from black/white to color monitors?
Pssh just not as cool as when they went from chisels and stones to black and white monitors.

But it was even cooler on the water at that time too because you didn't have to ride on one man's boat with two of every animal in the world anymore you could build your own.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
It baffles me that Powell didn't rise more with the Spring runoff. Was the snowpack in the Rockies really that bad in the 2020/2021 winter season?

RCDave

Reaction score
It baffles me that Powell didn't rise more with the Spring runoff. Was the snowpack in the Rockies really that bad in the 2020/2021 winter season?
No. They actually had a strong late winter

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Weather Channel reports the rainfall averages across the most of the US are above average and hopefully that carries over to the snowfall averages this winter.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
We were told, Lake is dropping 2-6" daily...

We found a Bitchen deep spot up Last Chance cove...

We did not re-anchor.....

cofooter

Reaction score
Weather Channel reports the rainfall averages across the most of the US are above average and hopefully that carries over to the snowfall averages this winter.
Hoping it's does. Supposed to be starting a La Nina year which usually leads to above average snow. I will say its been several years since I've seen the Monsoon here in Colorado be as strong and persistent.

Minimatt

Reaction score
We were on the lake last week out of Bullfrog. Tied up in the same spot for the entire week, and only adjusted the anchor lines once. It looked like the water level dropped about a foot over the entire week. Ramp wasn't too bad at Bullfrog, except for this guy clogging up the progress of humanity for about 30 minutes...
IMG_4015 crop.JPG

After the gray Dodge with white trailer broke his tow strap a few times, a houseboat-launching all-wheel drive Mack truck with a decent chain saved the day.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
does that motorhome have a "pusher" motor?? (rear motor).....

Minimatt

Reaction score
does that motorhome have a "pusher" motor?? (rear motor).....
I believe it does. I was shocked that it drove off once it was pulled out.

The pavement ends about 10' past the water line where the motorhome is. Apparently he decided he was in too deep, and tried to pull forward and the rear tires spun. At one point they tried pulling the boat off the trailer with another boat, but were unsuccessful.

Last edited: