WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Powell waheap marina question

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
We are looking to head to powell in September. Houseboat availability is low. Considering an air bnb in paige. I know many members here have rented docks at the marinas for the poker run. Does waheap offer weekly slip rental? Gonna call on Monday buy trying to put a plan together this weekend. This will be our first trip.

riverroyal

Reaction score
They rent slips. Call early. 28 a day i think. Its safe and right at the start of the docks
Cut was open 7 months ago and still pretty deep. Although going around is a nice route.
Staying at waheep resort is fun. 3 star rooms but nice location.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure to watch water-data.com for water levels. This year is mirroring 2019 so the cut should be useable by the last week in May. It will be a "low year" but it is planned.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
What is the "cut?"

I've never been to Powell but I want to go and usually try to read all the Powell threads when they pop up

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
It’s a man made “cut” from wahweep to warm creek bay (I think) other wise you have to follow the green line and it’s longer and way rougher
6FA8B257-BBB5-4973-966D-75D69B6C0B5C.jpeg

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
The cut is not looking good this year and thus I’m adjusting plans to launch at Antelope. Fuel, time and comfort will change drastically if we’re all forced to take that damn washing machine canyon run!

Consider Antelope if you can.

This was taken Feb 16th

2Driver

Reaction score
According to the water database powell is some 30 feet below this time last year, snowpack is 85% of average and precipitation 75% of average.
Rivers feeding Powell are running 49% of average for this time of year. September is well into the draw down part of the year.

jet496

Reaction score
They rent slips. Call early. 28 a day i think. Its safe and right at the start of the docks
Cut was open 7 months ago and still pretty deep. Although going around is a nice route.
Staying at waheep resort is fun. 3 star rooms but nice location.
We've stayed at the resort hotel & the RV park. The hotel is awesome if you can get in. You can hang out in the pool overlooking the lake with drinks & food served to you. We kept our boat in the water the whole time & could even see it from our hotel room one time.

I don't know if I'd want to stay so far away though, if nothing else because it's in Paige & not on the lake. One time my boat had a leak through the steering cable bulkhead fitting & I just happened to walk down before dark to look at it & it was sinking. From that point on I put 2 bilge pumps because the one that was in there had issues that I didn't know about until then.

The RV park is cool too & they have a little bus going back & forth every 20 minutes or so.

Singleton

Reaction score
I need a power trip, but I am ruined.
I worked the Weheap Houseboat rental docks during the summers in college back in the 90’s. Dorm was up by the RV park. Lake was at its high point, and we were raising the docks daily. Castle Rock was an island and you could boat all around it. Those were the days. Work, water ski during lunch, work, drink at night (got all the leftovers from house boats that people did not want to off load). Great hourly rate and tips! One of the best summer jobs, until someone got murdered in the RV Showers and I was woken up at gunpoint in my dorm room.

havasu5150

Reaction score
Rented a nice VRBO house in Page last July. Launched daily at Stateline. Fees are very reasonable. Ramps are a STEEP hike back to the truck. Cut was open but I enjoyed going around through Antelope.

Groper

Reaction score
The cut is not looking good this year and thus I’m adjusting plans to launch at Antelope. Fuel, time and comfort will change drastically if we’re all forced to take that damn washing machine canyon run!

Consider Antelope if you can.

This was taken Feb 16th
View attachment 984223

Wow 😲

Hell maybe i'll just dry camp at the new Castle Rock Rv campground.

And I'll defiantly take the ocean PH next trip to plow through the washing machine the last trip in the 21RC was like a Rodeo F**k cruising through that canyon 😬

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I remember one year a bunch of us were camping , it was coming up 1’ a day

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
The big problem you will have is where you stay while there. The cut is already 11 ' out of the water and like said , will probably be dry all season. The trip around Antelope Island will probably be a CF, during all but very early morning or after dark and dangerous as hell at night. Good luck and be safe.
http://lakepowell.water-data.com/ some good info here.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
The BOR is predicting the lake to rise to 3575 and by September be around 3565 . The are usually good at lake levels. The cut needs 3580 to be usable. So all boat traffic will go through the Maytag straights. Can be bad throughout the day.
😫😫😫😫

Duramax

Reaction score
Wow 😲

Hell maybe i'll just dry camp at the new Castle Rock Rv campground.

And I'll defiantly take the ocean PH next trip to plow through the washing machine the last trip in the 21RC was like a Rodeo F**k cruising through that canyon 😬
It's that bad, huh? Wow

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Snowpack / skiing sucked up here in Colorado for most of winter. Getting hammerered now on a regular basis. Looking like its going to be a wet spring year for sure...................

Spring snow is thick, heavy and full of water vs the fluffy winter stuff, as I am sure you know when you go to remove it off your driveway! At the end of the day its all up to the BOR whether the cut opens up. They would get more safety points by storing more water in Powell to keep the cut open and lowering Havasu to keep the pass to the river closed! LOL

cofooter

Reaction score
Spring snow is thick, heavy and full of water vs the fluffy winter stuff, as I am sure you know when you go to remove it off your driveway! At the end of the day its all up to the BOR whether the cut opens up. They would get more safety points by storing more water in Powell to keep the cut open and lowering Havasu to keep the pass to the river closed! LOL
Haha - A buddy of mine who works for the water bureau in Boulder City told me they will never let water in Havasu fluctuate by more than a few feet up or down. Only lake in the system with that requirement.

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
It’s a man made “cut” from wahweep to warm creek bay (I think) other wise you have to follow the green line and it’s longer and way rougher
View attachment 984220

I'm going in mid September and staying at the resort/hotel in Wahweap marina. How long would you say it takes to go around if the cut doesn't happen to get filled?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I'm going in mid September and staying at the resort/hotel in Wahweap marina. How long would you say it takes to go around if the cut doesn't happen to get filled?

Its about 12 miles longer than the cut... so it depends on how fast you can go. There is a short no wake section through Antelope point marina... The cut takes time also, because its no wake. So time wise it might not be a very big difference. The section is just rough once all the boats start going through. The walls are straight up and down with no place for the wakes to run out. For me personally, its not really a big deal, I use it about 40% of the time anyways. There will most likely be more beaches available with lower lake levels so there is an upside.

Groper

Reaction score
I think it was about 30min as well as speed and conditions that will make a difference.

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
Its about 12 miles longer than the cut... so it depends on how fast you can go. There is a short no wake section through Antelope point marina... The cut takes time also, because its no wake. So time wise it might not be a very big difference. The section is just rough once all the boats start going through. The walls are straight up and down with no place for the wakes to run out. For me personally, its not really a big deal, I use it about 40% of the time anyways. There will most likely be more beaches available with lower lake levels so there is an upside.
I think it was about 30min as well as speed and conditions that will make a difference.

Thanks for the info

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

More importantly its 24 total miles. Which on my boat at 1 mile per gallon is about 85 bucks if I can get fuel in town at 3.50. Its was 2.99 when I was there about 2 weeks ago. And once again FUEL, which means I have 24 gallons less for other activities,... Or finally, FUEL, which means 24 gallons to be replaced at Dangling at 5.50-6 bucks a gallon.....

Groper

Reaction score
More importantly its 24 total miles. Which on my boat at 1 mile per gallon is about 85 bucks if I can get fuel in town at 3.50. Its was 2.99 when I was there about 2 weeks ago. And once again FUEL, which means I have 24 gallons less for other activities,... Or finally, FUEL, which means 24 gallons to be replaced at Dangling Rope a@ $5.50-6 bucks a gallon.....
Exactly that's why I won't be running a 632ci BBC LOL I'd love to bring the Stoker but it has small tanks and with the possible windy conditions 😧 in the afternoon I'll run my two 150 Yamaha's in my Pilot House with a 500mi range 😉

And the way it's going with Ole Joe it could be $8.00 a gal by the end of summer at the Docks 😲

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Exactly that's why I won't be running a 632ci BBC LOL I'd love to bring the Stoker but it has small tanks and with the possible windy conditions 😧 in the afternoon I'll run my two 150 Yamaha's in my Pilot House with a 500mi range 😉

And the way it's going with Ole Joe it could be $8.00 a gal by the end of summer at the Docks 😲

Over the last 5 or so years in my trips that I have been using the express cruiser approach, I have noticed Dangling rope never changes. Its 5.50 a gallon when gas is 1.87 or 3.99. Maybe NPS/Aramark run that place off on longer term contracts or Aramark is constrained by its agreements with NPS etc... So hopefully it holds up through the summer regardless...

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Go out of Antelope Point. WAY better in my opinion. I have rented houseboats out of both locations.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
We rented a house in Big Water last summer and just launched out of Wahweap every morning. It was a little bit of a chore getting a big group launced every morning, but the whole trip was kind of last minute so it worked for us. I wouldn't suggest doing this if "The Cut" is closed. You can add an hour each direction on your daily trip when that happens. I would definitely either find a Houseboat for the week, or rent a house in Page and launch out of Antelope, being my 2nd choice. (Staying on a houseboat is really the best way to enjoy Lake Powell)

Boat 405

Reaction score
Don't get too excited about lauching at Antelope Point. If the Cut is closed so is the public ramp at Antelope. The cut is acutally about 8 ft lower than the usable elevation of the ramp at antelope. Not sure about the valet ramp. I think the lowest functioning level of antelope point ramp is 3588 or close to that number. The cut is down to 3580 before it's dry.

Last edited:

Ol Man

Reaction score
One of the nice things that happened last year, due to Covid, was that out of country travelers were not renting boats and motorhomes. Traffic on the lake was down for folk who do not know how to boat.

We camp on Lone Rock Beach, pretty much every year since 1976, and our European friends were not there. We have me tsome very nice travelers over the years. I assume they will not be there again this year. But, due to Covid, the beach was still packed. We are there usually the beginning of August, when Utah kids are starting school.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
One of the nice things that happened last year, due to Covid, was that out of country travelers were not renting boats and motorhomes. Traffic on the lake was down for folk who do not know how to boat.

We camp on Lone Rock Beach, pretty much every year since 1976, and our European friends were not there. We have me tsome very nice travelers over the years. I assume they will not be there again this year. But, due to Covid, the beach was still packed. We are there usually the beginning of August, when Utah kids are starting school.
We were camping one year outside of Bullfrog when some Europeans pulled up in their CruiseAmerica. They pulled up by the water, took off all their clothes and went swimming. They got out of the water about 15 minutes later, loaded back in the RV, and were off to the next destination on the American West tour route.

cofooter

Reaction score
We were camping one year outside of Bullfrog when some Europeans pulled up in their CruiseAmerica. They pulled up by the water, took off all their clothes and went swimming. They got out of the water about 15 minutes later, loaded back in the RV, and were off to the next destination on the American West tour route.
Hmmm, was she hot?

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Ya'll might want to look at the antelope launch ramp water levels. I think antelope is closed due to a 20' cliff. Keep up to date as your trip gets closer. Just helps you save time because it easily kills a half hour at least if you head to antelope and it is closed.

To save myself the headache I just head to wahweep.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Why doesn’t NPS dredge the cut deeper or can they not do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hallett21

Reaction score
Why doesn’t NPS dredge the cut deeper or can they not do that?

Looks like in 2014 they used heavy equipment to “dredge” 10 ft down when the lake level was low.

Appears that’s the only way to lower it which I imagine costs a lot.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
There is probably a solid dozen much more important and potentially dangerous things to be well prepared for when boating Lake Powell than the logistics of a 30 minute ride out of Wahweep up down and around Antelope Canyon... If you are planning on a Saturday - Sunday prime time trip out of Wahweep or even Antelope for that matter and you don't have a boat that is ready to go through some major traffic and heavy seas you are already screwed. You take what Lake Powell lets you have when Lake Powell is ready to let you have it. If you are planning on forcing your schedule and logistics on Lake Powell, you are probably already a statistic.

If you are boating Powell in a 25 foot and under day cruiser full of people and day trip stuff, you better be checking the weather report and have your head on a swivel on any trip any day of the week regardless of the cut. Common sense and be prepared to change your plans on the conditions of the weather and lake always.

If you are running in a 21 foot open bow (like I do sometimes), get your ass out of bed and get your ass up river for the day... Zero fuks will be given if you roll out at 10 am out of Wahweep on saturday morning bitching about the cut being closed.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure why they choose to balance the water between Powell and Mead from year to year the way they do, it always seems to be changing. For a while they were claiming less evaporation in Powell so they were going to keep a higher percentage there, but that seems to have changed, maybe it's that the total amount of water is now too low. I do know that Mohave and Havasu are not considered part of the reservoir system and that their levels have only a miniscule effect on Powell and Mead.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
There is probably a solid dozen much more important and potentially dangerous things to be well prepared for when boating Lake Powell than the logistics of a 30 minute ride out of Wahweep up down and around Antelope Canyon... If you are planning on a Saturday - Sunday prime time trip out of Wahweep or even Antelope for that matter and you don't have a boat that is ready to go through some major traffic and heavy seas you are already screwed. You take what Lake Powell lets you have when Lake Powell is ready to let you have it. If you are planning on forcing your schedule and logistics on Lake Powell, you are probably already a statistic.

If you are boating Powell in a 25 foot and under day cruiser full of people and day trip stuff, you better be checking the weather report and have your head on a swivel on any trip any day of the week regardless of the cut. Common sense and be prepared to change your plans on the conditions of the weather and lake always.

If you are running in a 21 foot open bow (like I do sometimes), get your ass out of bed and get your ass up river for the day... Zero fuks will be given if you roll out at 10 am out of Wahweep on saturday morning bitching about the cut being closed.
Well said powell is the only place we boat and couldn't have said this better myself. When the water moves at powell it moves. The cut is a bone to a dog but never count on anything being the same here one trip to the next!!