WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Powell waheap marina question

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
One thing to think about when on Powell. Keep some "supplies" in the boat incase you get hit with weather and get holed up n a side canyon....tube tent/tarp and a blanket and some snacks. I know people that have had to spend the night during bad weather.

707dog

Reaction score
cool info keep it coming as we are going for 6 days in august staying at the hotel and getting slip ...OP sorry to thread jack but guess it could be good info for us unknowns to Powell. there is a shit load of coves from the maps i been looking at but if the weather kicks up how do you choose or know which cove is safe to go hide in ??

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
cool info keep it coming as we are going for 6 days in august staying at the hotel and getting slip ...OP sorry to thread jack but guess it could be good info for us unknowns to Powell. there is a shit load of coves from the maps i been looking at but if the weather kicks up how do you choose or know which cove is safe to go hide in ??

The one that isn't white caps is a good start!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I'm going in mid September and staying at the resort/hotel in Wahweap marina. How long would you say it takes to go around if the cut doesn't happen to get filled?
I think people make more of the time and distance savings then there needs to be. I dont have a problem going either way, its not like the scenery sucks, and you get to see the mega baller houseboats with helo's on top parked at Antelope.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

The closest cove... You really just have to get off the main channel and find a place with some protection. Not directly under a cliff edge with black stains that indicates the water routinely creates a water fall there. Find a little open spot with a bit of sand back off the main channel. Its common sense stuff. Its not that much different than Havasu when the weather picks up. You see lightning and dark clouds have yourself a plan to wait it out. But don't be paranoid. I will out run rain and rabbit up into it in and out of coves etc... Once it gets a little snotty out there assume it will get worse. But I don't run away and the first sign of a cloud or rain.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Probably my favorite place on earth... The lake is HUGE! Dont plan on seeing anywhere near everything in a weekend. For comparison, there is more shoreline on Powell, than the west coast of California.

Have a GPS and know how to use it.
Have a quality map and know how to read it! There are mile markers on the main channel. Following those will get you home, but it isn't fun or easy.
Dont pass a fuel stop without filling up. (and the ice cream @ Dangling rope is pretty damn good!)
Have a VHF radio (even handheld is better than nothing). Plan on not having cell signal.

Did I mention the lake is HUGE?

Attachments

• IMG_4195.JPG
    IMG_4195.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3625.JPG
    IMG_3625.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4400.JPG
    IMG_4400.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 109

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I think people make more of the time and distance savings then there needs to be. I dont have a problem going either way, its not like the scenery sucks, and you get to see the mega baller houseboats with helo's on top parked at Antelope.

I agree, it worth the trip at least once. The restaurant and bar is far superior at Antelope, you can easily drive up and courtesy slip and only have to walk 50 feet from your boat for a drink or lunch. You might want to actually boat up Antelope Canyon also, I think everyone needs to at least check that off the list at some point.

IF you are out during the poker runs the bad ass boats are out of antelope...

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Any cove that is in the lee will work, pretty easy to figure out, it will be obvious.

707dog

Reaction score
OP sorry again to jump on your thread but looking for the same info( didn't want to start my own later)... whos putting out the best hand held map that can be bought online?

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
The walk from the hotel to the docks is a bit of a hike and steep AF on the way back to the hotel. Best bet is bring cash and tip the porters well, they will take you right to your door if done correctly. Plan B would be to use your car to get your stuff down there, coolers, etc., the only drawback is the parking lot for the docks still way the hell up the hill.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Also, download a weather radar app, I use MyRadar, that way you can see the storms building, which in August will be almost nightly. They give you plenty of warning if you keep an eye out and monitor the weather radar.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The walk from the hotel to the docks is a bit of a hike and steep AF on the way back to the hotel. Best bet is bring cash and tip the porters well, they will take you right to your door if done correctly. Plan B would be to use your car to get your stuff down there, coolers, etc., the only drawback is the parking lot for the docks still way the hell up the hill.

Good info here!... If you have a handheld marine radio you can radio the golf cart kids right from your hotel balcony etc... Ask the store down on the docks for the channel, but I think its channel 78.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score

Bails

Reaction score
Last summer I had a handheld GPS and VHF radio. Didn't have to use either, thank goodness. I downloaded the Navionics app - named boating. It worked incredible well at Lake Powell. They offer a ten day free trial so I downloaded it right before the trip. At the end of the trial period I happily paid the $20 buck as it was so good.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Bring a fuel efficient boat, on the water fuel isnt cheap, it was $600 to fill my boat, and we were doing that every other day. Next trip we will take our toon with an outboard so it will be a fraction of the cost, we just wont get there as fast. Also tow as empty as you can and then fill up in Page instead of on the water, that will help a little bit.

hallett21

Reaction score
Wife and I did 3 nights in the vector sleeping under the bow. Just be smart and watch the weather and you’ll be fine.

When we saw weather we just tucked in and waited it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Last summer I had a handheld GPS and VHF radio. Didn't have to use either, thank goodness. I downloaded the Navionics app - named boating. It worked incredible well at Lake Powell. They offer a ten day free trial so I downloaded it right before the trip. At the end of the trial period I happily paid the $20 buck as it was so good.

Great tip!... I have a chartplotter onboard but I don't use it. I use Gaia GPS, but they all work well. I will share a track with the newbies. This is a non stop run home on the last day from Wetherill Canyon in a 30ft express cruiser. Assuming the lake is at 3580, I made it without losing a prop or outdrive. PM me for a KMZ you can import into google or a GPX file if that is better. I tried to attach the gps files but RD blocks those extension. If someone knows how to share them let me know.

mainchannel.jpg

Title:Weep
Date:5/26/20, 7:25:39 AM MST
Distance:29.8 mi
Time:01:38:54
Average Speed:18.1 mph
Max Speed:31.4 mph
Ascent:65.5 ft
Min/Max Altitude:3,573.9 ft, 3,619.7 ft
Started:5/26/20, 7:25:39 AM MST - (37.08451, -111.11059)
Ended:5/26/20, 9:04:33 AM MST - (36.99356, -111.48152)

Ol Man

Reaction score
Buy this Stan Jones map. When traveling have it on you lap and follow the mile markers. Lots of good info on the map.

77charger

Reaction score
Buy this Stan Jones map. When traveling have it on you lap and follow the mile markers. Lots of good info on the map.

All we have ever used.Not hard to look at map and mile markers i swear these days without gps seems like half wont ever find what they are looking for at the dunes or the lakes.Years ago one of my uncles was the trip planner he would be out in morning planning the trips but he hasnt been out in almost 20 years now.So i will get the job these days.

Normally we have about 3 trips set for the week well do navajo for one day escalante another and a new spot just dpeends onthe weather and they are planned around that.Like walt mentioned a radar app is great though easier to predict what will happen and see see storms build up in the distance.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Probably my favorite place on earth... The lake is HUGE! Dont plan on seeing anywhere near everything in a weekend. For comparison, there is more shoreline on Powell, than the west coast of California.

Have a GPS and know how to use it.
Have a quality map and know how to read it! There are mile markers on the main channel. Following those will get you home, but it isn't fun or easy.
Dont pass a fuel stop without filling up. (and the ice cream @ Dangling rope is pretty damn good!)
Have a VHF radio (even handheld is better than nothing). Plan on not having cell signal.

Did I mention the lake is HUGE?
The island at back of rock creek?

riverroyal

Reaction score
Few things. The long way around and not using the cut has 2 of the best canyons to explore on that portion of the lake. The picture is from one of them.
Weather, we were in this canyon and couldn't see it coming. No beaches. Wind was unreal. Visibility was 15ft. 8mph following my gps which i had set to bread crumb. 45 minutes of pure freezing holy shit. Life jackets on and truly afraid.
Pic is right before shit got real
IMG_1020.jpg

707dog

Reaction score
i seen a lot of post on the travel sites from kayakers. what's the good boat in hiking spots ? my plan is to run up the lake as far as our gas will let us(75 ga and work our way back down

Thanks Just ordered one, using a paper map is how we learned our way around havasu, the California delta and shasta.

707dog

Reaction score
I seen this also mentioned in a old thread ill be sure to get those porters dialed in the first day 👍

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
If you don’t like the weather at Powell ? Give it 2 hours and it will change 🤔✊🏻One thing always remember “ Watch Out For Tour Boat Wake !!! O Mother Of God ! You have no ideal of the drinks that asshole owes me 😳

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Few things. The long way around and not using the cut has 2 of the best canyons to explore on that portion of the lake. The picture is from one of them.
Weather, we were in this canyon and couldn't see it coming. No beaches. Wind was unreal. Visibility was 15ft. 8mph following my gps which i had set to bread crumb. 45 minutes of pure freezing holy shit. Life jackets on and truly afraid.
Pic is right before shit got real
View attachment 985154
Good times , get blown off beach , who ever is in your boat goes , Break out another party 🤔😂 had some good ones , everyone out in middle of the bay going in circles until it pass’s , just waving to the wife on other boat , I won’t tell that story 🤔✊🏻

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Nice..
lake was at approx 3600’ for your wedding, today is 32’ lower

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Navigating for first timers or even experienced Powellers when water is low- FOLLOW the channel buoys even when they seem too far away. Any good map should show you the river channel up the lake. Take the time to follow buoy to buoy and you'll never have an issue. Cut corners and you may regret it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Who goes to Powell in a dress shirt and slacks?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Being optimistic, this horse has legs and is keeping pace as we round the corner... We only need about another 2 feet for @cofooter to shovel off his drive.

fridaysnowpack.jpg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Ended up booking a houseboat. We leave Sept 24th. 7 days in paradise. How long over the water is waheap to bullfrog?

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Also where is the best arms to find anchorage? Must see places?
I would say at least make your way to padre bay. That's a good middle point and shouldn't cost or burn to much fuel. And there are a ton of beaches to camp on.

Face canyon is a little further and a great camping place. Definitely have spotters for rocks they're everywhere in this cove.

Rock Creek is hands down my favorite. But it can get packed and beaches are limited. Going to rock Creek requires dedication and will require fuel but it is worth it.

Sites to see would be any side canyon north of dangling rope. Cathedral, hole in the rock, twilight, rainbow bridge.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Ended up booking a houseboat. We leave Sept 24th. 7 days in paradise. How long over the water is waheap to bullfrog?

So wahweep to escalante Canyon is an pretty much an all day excursion and I'm not sure where bullfrog is for distance from escalante but I know its a long freaking way to escalante in a boat cruising at 50.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Its way to much for me in a houseboat. In my express cruiser it’s a 4 day trip to go from wahweep to bull frog and back. I reviewed my tracks and from bullfrog to escalente I logged 53 miles. Escalente to dangling was 36 miles.

I spent 7 years on the lake before I ever started going north of rainbow canyon. It’s a lifetime of work to see everything.

Reaction score
I would do everything from rainbow bridge on down for your first time . So much to see. Dangling rope is at mm42 and rainbow is about 50 . Escalate is around mm 70 just to the beginning area and the sights are 10 miles or more in the canyon . So a lot to see get the Stan Jones map look at it and get a game plan.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
A c
One thing to think about when on Powell. Keep some "supplies" in the boat incase you get hit with weather and get holed up n a side canyon....tube tent/tarp and a blanket and some snacks. I know people that have had to spend the night during bad weather.
a couple handles of gray goose , Capt morg , hotdogs 🤔👍 always are a help 👍

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
I would do everything from rainbow bridge on down for your first time . So much to see. Dangling rope is at mm42 and rainbow is about 50 . Escalate is around mm 70 just to the beginning area and the sights are 10 miles or more in the canyon . So a lot to see get the Stan Jones map look at it and get a game plan.
Face canyon 👍😉

caribbean20

Reaction score
If you don’t like the weather at Powell ? Give it 2 hours and it will change 🤔✊🏻One thing always remember “ Watch Out For Tour Boat Wake !!! O Mother Of God ! You have no ideal of the drinks that asshole owes me 😳
“Watch out for the Tour Boat Wake.” Amen to that. We launched a 38’ Fountain off that last time out and we were prepared. Turns out we weren’t.:)