WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Power Grid

TCHB

Reaction score
The thing that will get interesting is the price all of us will be paying for electricity soon. All utilities pass on to the customer fuel costs. With the price of natural gas and other fuels up, the Ebill will go up just like your heating bill. We put solar on our house one year ago and so far our bill is no more than $14. As I go into summer I have 1710 KWhrs in the bank which is more than enough to cover the summer peak usage. My system is a 8K system.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have no problems with running a 6000 watt split phase 240 inverter all solar… and the beauty is I can easily add another to make it a 12kw solution if I out grow it.
Right now I'm saving my pennies for a bunch of solar "stuff". This includes a 5k split phase inverter, and one damn expensive 7.5 battery :oops:
My goal is to have the ability to run my 2 chest freezers, 2 refrigerators and my well pump. Not too worried about anything else.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Right now I'm saving my pennies for a bunch of solar "stuff". This includes a 5k split phase inverter, and one damn expensive 7.5 battery :oops:
My goal is to have the ability to run my 2 chest freezers, 2 refrigerators and my well pump. Not too worried about anything else.

What inverter and battery? Well you will get 26% fed tax credit in 2022, so go big since the RPD solar haters are paying you for that part of your investment! I would step on the gas and get 2 expensive batteries on their dime! LOL!

wet hull

Reaction score
So what is the consensus on batteries for solar system? They worth the buy yet? Was told Kohler is the way to go. We are just wrapping up my install. 43 panel system based on a theoretical $1600 month bill as we are adding 2nd house to our property. We dont have gas or propane. We added plug to panel so I can run generator if outage at night.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I was reading reviews on that Generac 3300 generator, one guy said he took it apart and it was the exact same unit as the Harbor Freight Predator.

He may be a loon, I don't know. But 899 for that Generac is a pretty sweet deal. I have a pair of Honda 2200s now and the cablet that combines them. But I'm tempted to get one anyway.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Tesla solar/Power pak had the best reviews at the best price.

Nicest looking panels if they have to be seen from the street.

We can run at least 7 and a half days in the unlikely event of severe weather and a power outage.
New EVs home charge at 60 to 90 amps and it’ll easily handle that.

Recommended during power company outages to charge EVs during the day is the only instructions.

Just filled the dually with $222 worth of diesel on the way back from getting the entire DEF/exhaust system replaced yet again.
Neighbor experiencing the same with his new RAM Cummins.
55955385-AD25-4FB7-AD52-199C0771C6A5.jpeg

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
What inverter and battery? Well you will get 26% fed tax credit in 2022, so go big since the RPD solar haters are paying you for that part of your investment! I would step on the gas and get 2 expensive batteries on their dime! LOL!
Because my property is "on the grid", the credits only apply if I sell back to the grid. Now, I've also read that grid tied systems do not charge the batteries when the grid is down...fine for blips in service, crappy for SHTF scenarios.

Basically, I want a "skid mount" solar generator. For the battery, I'm looking at a Discover AES (?) For the inverter, a Sol-Ark 5k. The lithium batteries are pricey, but they say 10yr life. Hoping the shit show ends before I have to start daisy chaining car batteries :oops:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I wanna buy one of those Generac deals probably like 9500 or so. I need it portable so I can transport it.

Then I need to put transfer switches in my house.

Our lake house is in the boonies and the power is sketchy anyway so it’s good to have backup.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
We sell/install backup generators. I try to educate people on how your generator is only as good as its fuel source.

Majority of customers want an automatic transfer switch and a generator that can run the entire home.

But I’ve set my mom, FIL/MIL and other family members up for portable gasoline generators with a 10 circuit manual transfer switch. It’s a pain in the neck to setup (roll out the generator, plug it in, flip the switches etc), but you can always find gas/diesel.

If you’re tied to city NG for your generator you’re still relying on the utility.
Same set up I have on the Cali house and am looking to do on the Havasu place. The fuel source for Havasu will probably change. I’m thinking propane as primary since you can store fairly large quantities of it and it lasts for almost ever. A switchable gen set (between it and gas/diesel) would be ideal. Going to start looking into it in the next few weeks.

On a side note, I’m currently only running a 6500w system at this point so it doesn’t run either of the a/cs or the pool gear. That said, it allows me to use a portable Honda generator which is easy to move around.

I keep a couple of larger rolling a/c portables that work fine for bifurcated areas.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I was reading reviews on that Generac 3300 generator, one guy said he took it apart and it was the exact same unit as the Harbor Freight Predator.

He may be a loon, I don't know. But 899 for that Generac is a pretty sweet deal. I have a pair of Honda 2200s now and the cablet that combines them. But I'm tempted to get one anyway.
Apparently that same inverter is re-branded quite often...

1652281754869.png

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Here is what I learned about solar and batteries on my RV. The system works great for lower usage. But if the usage gets too high it doesnt work at all and batteries are depleted quickly. Recharge times take forever when batteries are dead.

First the batteries have a finite capacity. Second heavy usage is out because it increases consumption too much so there is no using the AC. Heavy usage will just kill the batteries quickly. Not saying you cannot run the AC on batteries but it needs a lot of storage and for extended outages it won’t work.

Then there is winter and trees which further reduce capacity. Also more panels will decrease charge times which I could not do.

In the end I had to buy a generator backup to charge the batteries quickly.

Funny I will probably put solar on one of my houses With NO battery. Only cuz I can. But I am still buying a generator as a backup.

hallett21

Reaction score
The RDP special would be to own a diesel vehicle that you daily drive.

Purchase a diesel generator big enough to run the property. Back that up with a 1-1.5k gallon storage tank. Have fuel delivered as needed and fuel the vehicle at home when needed.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

Purchase a diesel generator big enough to run the property. Back that up with a 1-1.5k gallon storage tank. Have fuel delivered as needed and fuel the vehicle at home when needed.
I'm on the starter kit: a Prius and 2 50gl drums of gas 😂

Xring01

Reaction score
The thing that will get interesting is the price all of us will be paying for electricity soon. All utilities pass on to the customer fuel costs. With the price of natural gas and other fuels up, the Ebill will go up just like your heating bill. We put solar on our house one year ago and so far our bill is no more than $14. As I go into summer I have 1710 KWhrs in the bank which is more than enough to cover the summer peak usage. My system is a 8K system.
What state do you live in?
As you know some states are going after the NEM (Net Energy Metering) rules for solar systems.
Ca will release NEM 3.0 around the 3rd Qtr of 2022. If they dont change their mind, it could destroy the Resi Solar market in Ca. From what I read it could make the ROI of new solar systems go from 5 years to over 10 years. But we truly dont know, because they haven’t released the new revised rules yet.

I would love to hear Baysil Haydens thoughts on it, his business will be impacted.

NV Power is like .09cents/kwH maybe .10cents/kwH… So it would take a very very very long time for solar system to pay for it self in my situation. Again last month. My Electricity bill was $73… for a 2500 sq ft house, and we ran the heater alot, its below freezing most nights here over the last few months.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Diesel has a nice long shelf life.
I've tried running the jets skis after sitting the winter and the gas went bad that fast. Even with Stabil couldn't come off idle. Changed out the gas,, good to go.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
So what is the consensus on batteries for solar system? They worth the buy yet? Was told Kohler is the way to go. We are just wrapping up my install. 43 panel system based on a theoretical $1600 month bill as we are adding 2nd house to our property. We dont have gas or propane. We added plug to panel so I can run generator if outage at night.
Saving a spot to post/expand regarding this. Batteries are only useful/worth it in certain areas, with certain NEM agreements, and cost per kWh. Southern CA, Hawaii, and a few other specific markets are worth doing it, outside of that absolutely not. I'm absolutely slammed this week so I don't have the time to write a novel. Supply is a bitch right now, and batteries are no exception.

TCHB

Reaction score
As you know some states are going after the NEM (Net Energy Metering) rules for solar systems.
Ca will release NEM 3.0 around the 3rd Qtr of 2022. If they dont change their mind, it could destroy the Resi Solar market in Ca. From what I read it could make the ROI of new solar systems go from 5 years to over 10 years. But we truly dont know, because they haven’t released the new revised rules yet.

I would love to hear Baysil Haydens thoughts on it, his business will be impacted.

NV Power is like .09cents/kwH maybe .10cents/kwH… So it would take a very very very long time for solar system to pay for it self in my situation. Again last month. My Electricity bill was $73… for a 2500 sq ft house, and we ran the heater alot, its below freezing most nights here over the last few months.
Our new home is in Henderson Nv Anthem CC. Our pool is 24,000 gallons heated by a EHeater. We use the EHeater for the spa. Our solar system is calculated off a 9 year pay back at 2020 E rates.
B1E4A467-0245-4755-B1FC-193144F07DE4.jpeg

TCHB

Reaction score
We have a 20year contract with NV Energy for the net metering contract.

Xring01

Reaction score
Our new home is in Henderson Nv Anthem CC. Our pool is 24,000 gallons heated by a EHeater. We use the EHeater for the spa. Our solar system is calculated off a 9 year pay back at 2020 E rates. View attachment 1114888

For me… I dont think I would go solar unless I had a 5 year ROI…
Why do I say that..
Cost of the system, which I would pay cash for… versus the saving I get over time of not paying the electricity bill..

So for example…. I have a spare $10K sitting in my pocket…
$10K for solar system… and my electricity bill goes down to near zero… after 5 years, I have saved $10,000..

Or
$10K in a CD or invested wisely.. earns me ROI of 2.5%, or up to over 20% annually pending on the markets and the investment…
After 5 years, I have more than $10K….

Thats why the 5 year mark is kinda key to me. But even then… paying $73/month in electricity bills right now…

So lets just guess that my average electricity bill would be $1200/year… x 5 years = $6000….
How big of a solar system would $6000 get me in todays world… I doubt it would have much impact on the overall monthly bill.

I doubt I will ever go solar…with the pricing models I have today.

Backup Generator.. yes that is in my future. In my profession, I know how rickety the grid is. I know its not gonna take much to get some pro longed outages…

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I paid $2281.16 for electricity last year…why are we talking about electricity again? I lost focus because overall at 6.25 a day for my 2300 sf house in Arizona I only think about it on RDP… never does it cross my mind otherwise.

I enjoy building solar and batteries because its fun and feeds my self reliance! I look at larger acreages and remote properties and think “I can power that, no problem”!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Just heard they are advertising in LA to be prepared for outages.... Not that it matters though since the weather is hella nice anyway 🤣

TCHB

Reaction score
Why do I say that..
Cost of the system, which I would pay cash for… versus the saving I get over time of not paying the electricity bill..

$10K for solar system… and my electricity bill goes down to near zero… after 5 years, I have saved $10,000..

Or
$10K in a CD or invested wisely.. earns me ROI of 2.5%, or up to over 20% annually pending on the markets and the investment…

Thats why the 5 year mark is kinda key to me. But even then… paying $73/month in electricity bills right now…

So lets just guess that my average electricity bill would be $1200/year… x 5 years = $6000….
How big of a solar system would $6000 get me in todays world… I doubt it would have much impact on the overall monthly bill.

Backup Generator.. yes that is in my future. In my profession, I know how rickety the grid is. I know its not gonna take much to get some pro longed outages…
What do you do with the power stations/grid?

Xring01

Reaction score
What do you do with the power stations/grid?
I was a Independant Manufacturers Rep… who sold Transformers, MV/EHV Cables, Breakers, Switchgear, Monitoring Packages, Scada, Metering, Substation Services Etc etc etc etc… In CA and NV mostly, focused on Utility, Power Plant and Renewable Markets.

Now I work for just one company, but on the National Level.
This is what I used to do, Waukesha was 1 of the many company’s I represented… But was the majority of my time.

4B23268A-7EEA-4C2D-995D-6B301C3B6745.png

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
Grabbed a Honda 7000 delivered to havasu Home Depot for those looking into them

TCHB

Reaction score
I was a Independant Manufacturers Rep… who sold Transformers, MV/EHV Cables, Breakers, Switchgear, Monitoring Packages, Scada, Metering, Substation Services Etc etc etc etc… In CA and NV mostly, focused on Utility, Power Plant and Renewable Markets.

Now I work for just one company, but on the National Level.
So you most likely sold one of my plants equipment.

Xring01

Reaction score
So you most likely sold one of my plants equipment.
And Services…
We did transformer maintenance on any transformer and had a huge market share of that business on the West Coast/ US.
The talent of our crews… made my job real easy.

TCHB

Reaction score
Maybe you worked with one of my maintenance managers at SCE or AES.

wet hull

Reaction score
Why do I say that..

Or

Makes sense and that how we looked at it. Our average monthly billy in Vista, Ca 92081 is $650-730 monthly. Electric only available. My comercial electrician has a solar side and gave me everything at cost plus min labor for install. We bought system out of pocket and our math with 2nd house finished gives us a 2.5 years to recoup our money. Totally worth it in our case and we have a Tesla as well. Just need to decide if I add battery now.

wash11

Reaction score
Clearly, there's a problem. I'm not smart enough to understand all the different layers here, but it doesn't look good.

Past simply providing for yourself, what's the solution? Is there legislation held up by the current administration that would open doors to a more reliable power grid? Can the existing grid even handle the coming power needs distribution wise, with this being an issue of not enough power plants? Or, is it at a breaking point where some serious redesigning is needed to move forward?

BTW, it's pretty awesome reading comments from you guys that work in this industry.

Xring01

Reaction score
Makes sense and that how we looked at it. Our average monthly billy in Vista, Ca 92081 is $650-730 monthly. Electric only available. My comercial electrician has a solar side and gave me everything at cost plus min labor for install. We bought system out of pocket and our math with 2nd house finished gives us a 2.5 years to recoup our money. Totally worth it in our case and we have a Tesla as well. Just need to decide if I add battery now.
In your area, with electricity so high, batterys can be a great option, espcially in those that have to pay peak demand charges.

The key thing that you need to research, if you can sell the energy that you create, back to the Utility, if so what is the ROI in that instance.

Again, the new Net Energy Metering rules, may throw a huge wrinkle into that analysis, because we don’t know what the new rules will be.

But if the batterys are there just to charge your Tesla, and that ROI makes sense, do it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Clearly, there's a problem. I'm not smart enough to understand all the different layers here, but it doesn't look good.

Past simply providing for yourself, what's the solution? Is there legislation held up by the current administration that would open doors to a more reliable power grid? Can the existing grid even handle the coming power needs distribution wise, with this being an issue of not enough power plants? Or, is it at a breaking point where some serious redesigning is needed to move forward?

BTW, it's pretty awesome reading comments from you guys that work in this industry.
Here's how I look at it, have you ever looked at an extension cord left in the bed of a work truck for a year? It's cracked, corroded and in poor shape. Those are our transmission lines. Now, we plug that into a "motorhomeless" tweaker's genset, that is running on a combination of stolen gasoline and urine. So, sketchy output, sent through junk wire...and then we plug that right into our biggest investment.
Sounds great, don't it?

Xring01

Reaction score

My original post, the cut and past picture that I posted, pretty much wraps up the problem in that one paragraph.

The move to clean energy, requires energy storage to meet the government goals. Due to those goals, the regulations are forcing the closure of many traditional Nat Gas Plants, and Nuke Plants. In addition they are not allowing them to repower at the capacity they used to be. Because of this the tradional plants in the west are being maintained with bandaids, duct tape, bailing wire and boat load of hope. They literally have to fight for any $$$ for basic maintenance.

Combine that with en rush of Electric Vehicles putting more demand on the grid, you have a combination of problems.

To me, the politicians and regulators have created this problem with Green Goals, and green regulations. Until we have some more major outages and the voters get pissed off enough to push the change, then the problem will only get worse. Because large scale energy storage is not being installed fast enough to cover the gap of peak loads/ peak demands.

The fact they most regulators are hoping that behind the meter assets, can eventually power the grid, is something that I find very scary. Because changing a step down system into a step up system, creates all kinds of problems on the distribution system, because it was designed to be a step down system. The problems age the living shit out of the distribution grid. Assets that should last 30 years, may last 5 years, increasing the maintenance cost to the utility.

WHICH IS THE KEY REASON WHY THE UTILITYs WANT A CHANGE IN THE NET ENERGY METERING RULES… If it happens they way it was originally written its a huge win for the utility. Because all new residential solar systems have to pay base bill of lets say $75/month for arguement sake, as a connect fee. The value is being debated now, but it will be much higher than what those that already have a solar system have.

Again, its problem created by regulations that are put in place by idiots who dont understand the implication of those regulations. Those implications have huge real world costs… Like stupid expensive electricity in CA, at the IOUs, with alot less reliability.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I have been in every large power plant in CA at one time or another. I have been in SONGS many times, Moss Landing, Palo Verdi…
I have been to most of the major renewable plants in Ca, and alot in the West, and alot in Texas, NM and all over the mid west.
I spent 8 years in the Navy and alot of that time on a Nuke Powered Submarine…
I have been in the Electric Utility industry since 1996… Jul to be exact, which is when I got out of the Navy.

My crews are the ones who repaired the PG&E substation that got shot up about 6 years ago… the name of that substation will come back to me shortly, my crews rebuilt the SDGE IV substation after a earth quake, and many other projects over 25 years.

I have been to lots of transformer failures and provided alot of the intel on the failure analysis, helped SDGE with their entire “Condition Assessment” program on the evaluation criteria of its Substation Assets.

Provided the transformer at 25mw BESS for SDGE in the Escondido substation… talk about a freaking disaster, that battery trips off line about once a month, provided well over 650 transformers to PG&E, 200 to SDGE. Lets not get into all of the EHV Cable projects that I have completed on the west coast. Or the SCADA systems, metering, monitoring, breakers, switchgear etc etc etc…

My key customers over the last 25 years have been SDGE, SCE PGE, AES, NRG, PATTERN, ORIGIS, EDF, etc etc etc etc etc. Yes I ahve worked with just about every consultant in the industry…

Should I keep going????

I remembered… it was the Metcalf substation… at PG&E… had to be a insider who shot it up, because they knew exactly what vault the fiber comm lines where in.. They went in their first, cut all the fiber, before they shot up the substation. My crews where onsite in about 6 hours, and we 2 full crews running withing 24 hours, and 4 crews within 48 hours.
I saw a story about the substation that got shot up in the Bay Area. They said the shooters knew exactly where to shoot, not just random shots. They were in and out quickly, and could have been sent by a foreign entity. They came very close to taking the entire Bay Area down.

On other think they discussed, was that there is a small number of substations (I think it was 5), that if they took those out, the entire US Power Grid would go down. Scary stuff.

Xring01

Reaction score
I saw a story about the substation that got shot up in the Bay Area. They said the shooters knew exactly where to shoot, not just random shots. They were in and out quickly, and could have been sent by a foreign entity. They came very close to taking the entire Bay Area down.

On other think they discussed, was that there is a small number of substations (I think it was 5), that if they took those out, the entire US Power Grid would go down. Scary stuff.
Due to the investigation by Dept of Homeland Security, we couldnt say anything about what we knew/saw, because it was being treated as a terrorist act.

In my opinion. It had to be someone with intimate knowledge of that substation. Meaning it was most likely a PG&E Employee or a contractor to PG&E.

They cut the fiber optic comm lines, that where located in one of the many vaults. They new exact vault and what lines to cut. Those fibers provided the communication alarms (SCADA) to any problems at the substation, right before the opened fire on the equipment inside the substation. WHy… because if there is no alarm at the substation, then there is no reason to trip it offline or send crews to investigate.

They knew exactly what to aim for. I will not share those details on a public forum. They aimed at areas that would do the most damage, unless you understand the equipment, you would not know that.

These are all the reason why I think it was someone with inside knowledge..

Another major factor in this case… That substation feeds Silicon Valley… literally… Think about what major companys in the US had the HQ in Silicon Valley… These guys where trying to do maximum damage to PG&E and the Companys in Silicon Valley.

Listen I am pretty knowledgeable about substations. But I dont know where the specific comm lines are at at each substation across the US. These guys knew exactly where they where at, in that substation. Meaning they either had access to drawings, or provided support in the installation or maintenance of that substation.

There where alot of policy changes in the Utility world after that incident.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Due to the investigation by Dept of Homeland Security, we couldnt say anything about what we knew/saw, because it was being treated as a terrorist act.

In my opinion. It had to be someone with intimate knowledge of that substation. Meaning it was most likely a PG&E Employee or a contractor to PG&E.

They cut the fiber optic comm lines, that where located in one of the many vaults. They new exact vault and what lines to cut. Those fibers provided the communication alarms (SCADA) to any problems at the substation, right before the opened fire on the equipment inside the substation. WHy… because if there is no alarm at the substation, then there is no reason to trip it offline or send crews to investigate.

They knew exactly what to aim for. I will not share those details on a public forum. They aimed at areas that would do the most damage, unless you understand the equipment, you would not know that.

These are all the reason why I think it was someone with inside knowledge..

Another major factor in this case… That substation feeds Silicon Valley… literally… Think about what major companys in the US had the HQ in Silicon Valley… These guys where trying to do maximum damage to PG&E and the Companys in Silicon Valley.

Listen I am pretty knowledgeable about substations. But I dont know where the specific comm lines are at at each substation across the US. These guys knew exactly where they where at, in that substation. Meaning they either had access to drawings, or provided support in the installation or maintenance of that substation.

There where alot of policy changes in the Utility world after that incident.
One of the rumors was the weapon or weapons used were not .223 or 5.56. Don't know if true or not, but at least they couldn't blame an evil AR as easily 😂

Xring01

Reaction score
One of the rumors was the weapon or weapons used were not .223 or 5.56. Don't know if true or not, but at least they couldn't blame an evil AR as easily 😂
I know the answers to that question, but not gonna share it publically…
But these dudes shot lots, of ammo in a very short period of time. Due to the brass locations, it was pretty easy to determine the shooting positions. This shows they fired in places for maximum damage. It wasnt random… it wasnt luck.

It was well planned with inside knowledge of the substation, and the assets inside that substation. It was done very very quickly.

Dave is probably gonna get a note from Dept Homeland security to delete this thread. I dont think they every caught the bad guys on this.

Xring01

Reaction score
There is a guy on youtube with a boatload of awesome content on Solar and Energy Storage.
Look up Will Prowse…

Love that kid, I have learned alot from him. His videos are loaded with awesome detailed info.

His content may be able to save you some $$$ on the energy storage aspects of your project.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There is a guy on youtube with a boatload of awesome content on Solar and Energy Storage.
Look up Will Prowse…

Love that kid, I have learned alot from him. His videos are loaded with awesome detailed info.

His content may be able to save you some $$$ on the energy storage aspects of your project.
I was turned on to his vids from someone here. Learned/learning a lot as I go. From his stuff I learned how much power it takes to charge a Tesla!
I've been talking with the folks at Northern Arizona Wind & Sun. They've been helpful, and I can drive up there and buy the old fashioned way.

I know I can do some stuff a lot cheaper. I just fear something happening to me, and the wife and kids having to figure it out for repairs or such. Trying to go as bullet proof, urge overkill as I can. Unfortunately, that means higher dollar. I can actually run my refrigerators and freezers already with a 12v inverter setup, but the well is the kicker. That, and the inverter setup is far from a long term solution.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I know the answers to that question, but not gonna share it publically…
But these dudes shot lots, of ammo in a very short period of time. Due to the brass locations, it was pretty easy to determine the shooting positions. This shows they fired in places for maximum damage. It wasnt random… it wasnt luck.

It was well planned with inside knowledge of the substation, and the assets inside that substation. It was done very very quickly.

Dave is probably gonna get a note from Dept Homeland security to delete this thread. I dont think they every caught the bad guys on this.

I sat through a Cyber Security presentation several years ago where the DHS went into pretty minute detail on this. It was hush-hush at the time of the attack but most of the information is in the public sphere at this time.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Look up Will Prowse…

I watched all his videos over and over. I built my home based system almost exactly like his Tesla charging station. I used all his affiliate links to build my marine system. I feel like one of his biggest fan boys. I almost started chasing his crypto mining strategy with all my excess winter capacity but thankfully the GPU rigs were impossible to source at that time! Haha

TCHB

Reaction score
You know a lot more than I do about the health of thermal systems, particularly in California.

But it seems to me that when the grid gets to the point where frequency support is needed, losing a thermal plant or two could lead to a system wide cascading shutdown. That's what happened in Texas last February. ERCOT lost frequency stability, and shutdowns began to occur.

Electrically powered natural gas pipeline compressor stations were taken offline by the shutdowns. Freezing temperatures below zero caused thermal plants that had been taken offline to sustain freeze damage, and they couldn't be restarted when grid loads dropped enough to restore frequency stabilization. Wind turbines with unheated blades caused that sector to collapse. The dominos fell statewide.

Some thermal plants were decades old and maintenance had been neglected. When grid loads caused those plants to operate at capacities close to nominal installed values, they failed from demand that hadn't been called upon in some time. Running machinery at 100% created stresses that might not have been an issue at 85 or 90%.

There's uncharted territory ahead. The threatened loss of hydro capacity coupled with politicians' cavalier decision that large percentages of power come from "renewable" sources, pressure on financial institutions to withdraw from making loans to fossil fuel production, and unprecedented demand coupled with unnecessary actions like closing nuclear plants is going to create a situation across the country never before seen.

It's going to be ugly. The only hope I see is that conservatives take over Congress in the fall and a Republican president is elected in 2024.
I was always suprised how the grid responds when we loose a large power station. Frequency would go from 60 cycles to 59.7 and recover in minutes. When you loose generation all the other plants pick up the load quickly. There Is a very complex load shedding plan in place if load out paces generation. If you want 100% reliability you would have back ups on back ups. We had peaking plants that ran under 75 hours at peak power over 25 years.

bonesfab

Reaction score

That is my plan. A military surplus 15kv and a 500 gal tank of diesel. Bus and my big truck run on it. To big of gen set and fuel consumption goes up.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Gov Planet has giant military generators for dirt cheap on auction all the time.

Xring01

Reaction score
Gov Planet has giant military generators for dirt cheap on auction all the time.

Most of them are 3 phase, and creates all kinds of problems for backing up a residential type of system.
They are great for commercial backups, but not so good for single phase for lots of reasons.

So when your shopping make sure you get a single phase and the proper voltage for your application, or you just wasted your money.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Most of them are 3 phase, and creates all kinds of problems for backing up a residential type of system.
They are great for commercial backups, but not so good for single phase for lots of reasons.

So when your shopping make sure you get a single phase and the proper voltage for your application, or you just wasted your money.
A lot of them say they will do 1 or 3 phase and multiple voltages. Is that not a good thing??

Xring01

Reaction score
I cant answer, unless I looked at that unit, and knew what your trying to do at your house.

From way back, I recall, that you can tap one phase of a single phase genset and get single phase power. But I do not know that can create any electrical imbalances on the other phases, that could reduce the life span of that generator. Would it owrk in emergency situation yes. But will it work for 10-15 years.. Shit… I am trying to remember shit from Electronic Tech School, and crap I learned in the navy over 25 years ago… on this subject. Its not something I do on a daily basis. In the past 20 years, I dealt with big Transformers, Breakers and Switchgear at Utilitys and Power Plants, Not this small stuff. Lol. Funny part… I hate working on my own house electrical stuff. My thought process it cant be this simple your probably about to fuck something up. So I second guess my self…

To me…. If I was backing up my house for my family, I wouldnt leave anything to question, and I wouldnt by cheap harbor freight or chinese shit.. Not saying the stuff at this action is that. I am just saying if I was pulling cash out of my wallet for back up power for my family. I would by a quality product, and probably have it professionally installed.

Putting duck tape and bailing wire to fix your lawn mower is one thing, but this is different.

Again its not gonna be cheap, its going to be $$$$… when I install one at my house, I will post what I do on RDP. But I am probably a year out or more for various reasons. Honestly, I will most likely go with Generac 22kw. But I will get multiple quotes.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Have a question for the engineer folks here. Although it may seem a bit tinfoil hat, the current global events make me wonder: how does a provider harden against EMP type attacks or solar activity? I remember reading about the Carrington Event, and telegraph lines being burnt or electrified. Weird stuff with magnetic fields.