WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Powerboating in Idaho?

Mototrig

Reaction score
My wife's sister is moving near Boise, we are "entertaining" the idea of moving there in the near future.

Talk to me about powerboating near Boise or anywhere within a 5hr drive even. I'm not into kayaking, rowing, bass boating or small aluminum boats..... I've read the rivers out there are more treacherous and shallow, for fishing and white water rafting.

Anyone with experience? Lakes/rivers?

wzuber

Reaction score
@Rattle Can Lou, he and his family and friends have great times up there w/drives and others. Maybe he or someone they play with will chime in. Some pretty big/nice lakes from what little I understand of it.....beautiful areas.

WildWilly

Reaction score
I spend time in the CDA area every year. I've come across a few decent boats on that lake, but not any,

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
CDA and Sandpoint will probably be your best bet. With a 5 hour range it will open up some options in Oregon as well I believe.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I moved to Boise 4 years ago from Irvine, CA. Was a Havasu guy for 30 years.

There is a lake within 15 minutes from our house called Lucky Peak, it's a good-sized reservoir, super easy drive-two launch areas, one is the main marina, lots of docks etc.
Because its Idaho- The boating season is short lived, they literally drain this huge reservoir every year and then fill it back up in Spring.
It's VERY popular with the Wake Boats, lots of tube pulling/skiing and wake boarding so the water can get a bit choppy. Winds can pick up in the afternoon as well.

As for "Performance boating"? it's no Pirates that's for sure but there are some that run the lake, I have a older19ft Hallett with a 200hp Merc Outboard that does just fine. There are several nice-looking jets, outdrives and a few runner bottoms that congregate at certain coves and hang out. Can see and hear a speed run now and then- they are pretty nice looking.
No bigger boats like 25ft Eliminators, party cats, or the big baller boats, lots of pontoons putting around and fishing boats but for the most part, all play well together- just have respect for each other.

Looking for a "Copper Canyon" type of hang out, yes, there is an area that attracts the younger crowd with the "thumpa Thumpa" music, thongs and typical "just add alcohol" idiots but all in all, its a fun place and nice and close. There is very little sandy beach/shoreline, so bring your anchors.
There are PWC's as well- not quite as abundant as Havi but are still present and yes, are typical morons.

Lots of paddle boarders, stand up board folks- they are not a bother- just having fun like the rest of us.

As for coves and places to hang out-Yes, lots of nooks and cranny's to find peace and quiet- Oh, and it can get over 100 degrees during the summer months and stay light until 9:30 at night. One thing that's a bit different is they have "Overnight Boat in only Camping" lots of docks with cabanas, firepits and a picnic table, first come, first serve- all waiting to be used overnight, something I am not used to, oh and its FREE!!

As soon as you exit the freeway (HWY 84) there is an Albertsons and a gas station, perfect for loading up on beverages, munchies, bait and gas.
The lake is patrolled by Ada County Sheriffs and Idaho Game and Fish, they seem to keep a pretty low presence but then, I keep a low profile, minimal alcohol (for me anyway) so I have had no interaction with LEO.

Someone mentioned McCall, Payette Lake, very nice, beautiful "Lake Arrowhead/ Big Bear" type lakes. More in the mountains, about 2 hour drive from Boise. NOT private, open to the public. Can get a bit crowded on weekends but nice during the week.

Hope this helps with the Boating question here in the Boise, ID area.

Last edited:

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
There is also Arrowrock( just past Lucky Peak), Anderson Ranch, Black Canyon, CJ Strike. Up by McCall you have Payette and Cascade lakes. There are private lakes in Nampa and Caldwell for the slalom types and core wakeboarders that want consistent good water. Add another hour or two to your range and there are even more options.

But Texas is much nicer than Idaho.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
not sure but maybe the Snake river near Twin Falls

srttruck

Reaction score
Yes like others have said, I dragged a boat althoughway up there and well, it was a waste of time and money. If you have a small aluminum fish boat you can access alot of their waterways. Lucky peak and other surrounding lakes (nothing like lake havasu) are full of jack wagon wake surfers the 3 months it's available. Good luck.

Water Romper

Reaction score
The Snake River is popular with the Weild (Sp?) type jet boats- Aluminum, bullet proof fishing boats built to bounce off rocks- a measly $150,000.00 and are everywhere. Parts of the Snake in Burley area (like someone mentioned- where the regatta is held) are popular with the wake boats.
Again, had I never boated in Havasu/ Parker/ Lake Mojave I would think this place is the best- but with the memories of the Colorado River, Idaho is just OK. Still, I can launch in 15 minutes and have fun, for 3 mo. of the year. It's better than not boating at all.

Now with that said- The streams, creeks, small lakes and beautiful mountains are another thing- Idaho is fantastic for outdoor fun- Summer and winter. I love to fish streams etc- this place is great. Winter sports are abundant- from Snow Skiing/ Boarding to Snowmobiles, seems everyone and their brother has a SxS, quad or Razor.

hman442

Reaction score
"seems everyone and their brother has a SxS, quad or Razor"

Yes, which are legal to run around town in, from what I understand.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Yes like others have said, I dragged a boat althoughway up there and well, it was a waste of time and money. If you have a small aluminum fish boat you can access alot of their waterways. Lucky peak and other surrounding lakes (nothing like lake havasu) are full of jack wagon wake surfers the 3 months it's available. Good luck.
So true. Its "Wake board "city here. The odd thing about here (Boise, ID) No one starts boating until after 2pm. We launch at 7:30, 8am and other than the few fellow jets and performance boaters getting in their speed runs, we have the place pretty much by ourselves for several hours.

Arrowrock is (in my opinion) not good for boating ONLY because of its location- Dirt/gravel road, narrow sections and no docks at the small launch ramp. Guys go there but for me, I'm not trailering the boat on the dirt gravel road for 5 miles.

Water Romper

Reaction score
"seems everyone and their brother has a SxS, quad or Razor"

Yes, which are legal to run around town in, from what I understand.
Ummm, I don't know about driving these in Boise, on the streets, but get off the beaten path, go to the smaller mountain cities like Idaho City, your right, they are everywhere. Looks like a lot of fun.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Speaking of boating in Idaho- There was a RDP event at Lake Pend Oreille/ by Coeur D Alene, where guys were going to meet and boat. Even some Havi guys were going to make the 1000 mile trek to boat there- I don't know how that event turned out. Anyone have pictures?
I have never been there- its 8 hours from Boise, I hear it's an absolutely beautiful lake, from the pictures, looks like a mini Lake Tahoe. I also hear that part of Idaho is some of the prettiest section of the whole state.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score

Tell all your friends. Texas has better lakes.

hman442

Reaction score
Ummm, I don't know about driving these in Boise, on the streets, but get off the beaten path, go to the smaller mountain cities like Idaho City, your right, they are everywhere. Looks like a lot of fun.
You're right, I don't imagine Boise. It's likely a city ordinance, not a state. I was thinking of time spent in McCall, seeing the sxs for rent, and driving around, and in Salmon, watching a family driving through town on individual atvs

badgas

Reaction score

There is a lake within 15 minutes from our house called Lucky Peak, it's a good-sized reservoir, super easy drive-two launch areas, one is the main marina, lots of docks etc.
Because its Idaho- The boating season is short lived, they literally drain this huge reservoir every year and then fill it back up in Spring.
It's VERY popular with the Wake Boats, lots of tube pulling/skiing and wake boarding so the water can get a bit choppy. Winds can pick up in the afternoon as well.

As for "Performance boating"? it's no Pirates that's for sure but there are some that run the lake, I have a older19ft Hallett with a 200hp Merc Outboard that does just fine. There are several nice-looking jets, outdrives and a few runner bottoms that congregate at certain coves and hang out. Can see and hear a speed run now and then- they are pretty nice looking.
No bigger boats like 25ft Eliminators, party cats, or the big baller boats, lots of pontoons putting around and fishing boats but for the most part, all play well together- just have respect for each other.

Looking for a "Copper Canyon" type of hang out, yes, there is an area that attracts the younger crowd with the "thumpa Thumpa" music, thongs and typical "just add alcohol" idiots but all in all, its a fun place and nice and close. There is very little sandy beach/shoreline, so bring your anchors.
There are PWC's as well- not quite as abundant as Havi but are still present and yes, are typical morons.

Lots of paddle boarders, stand up board folks- they are not a bother- just having fun like the rest of us.

As for coves and places to hang out-Yes, lots of nooks and cranny's to find peace and quiet- Oh, and it can get over 100 degrees during the summer months and stay light until 9:30 at night. One thing that's a bit different is they have "Overnight Boat in only Camping" lots of docks with cabanas, firepits and a picnic table, first come, first serve- all waiting to be used overnight, something I am not used to, oh and its FREE!!

As soon as you exit the freeway (HWY 84) there is an Albertsons and a gas station, perfect for loading up on beverages, munchies, bait and gas.
The lake is patrolled by Ada County Sheriffs and Idaho Game and Fish, they seem to keep a pretty low presence but then, I keep a low profile, minimal alcohol (for me anyway) so I have had no interaction with LEO.

Someone mentioned McCall, Payette Lake, very nice, beautiful "Lake Arrowhead/ Big Bear" type lakes. More in the mountains, about 2 hour drive from Boise. NOT private, open to the public. Can get a bit crowded on weekends but nice during the week.

PXL_20210616_003332419.jpg
PXL_20210616_012843335.jpg

Lucky Peak is nice lake, we were up there in mid June.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Speaking of boating in Idaho- There was a RDP event at Lake Pend Oreille/ by Coeur D Alene, where guys were going to meet and boat. Even some Havi guys were going to make the 1000 mile trek to boat there- I don't know how that event turned out. Anyone have pictures?
I have never been there- its 8 hours from Boise, I hear it's an absolutely beautiful lake, from the pictures, looks like a mini Lake Tahoe. I also hear that part of Idaho is some of the prettiest section of the whole state.
Supposedly it's happening next year as well. We are intending to haul up to WA and do Lake Chelan's poker run, that one, and then hit a couple lakes in MT. The PNW has some awesome lakes...and crystal clear water.

Hoodoo

Reaction score
This was put together locally and was a very good poker run. Inaugural run was sat July 24.
Expect late July again this summer. There are pics on OSO in the NW section.

Attachments

• FD366840-566C-4674-A0B3-8D86F02303E5.png
    FD366840-566C-4674-A0B3-8D86F02303E5.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 38

X Hoser

Reaction score
Not sure if mentioned above, but Pend Oreille is pronounced “Pond-Der-Ray”. I’m probably the only one that didn’t know that but was corrected this past summer by my daughter who lives there. French I guess ;)

funk

Reaction score
We moved up to Boise just over a year ago now. Love it. We normally hit Lucky Peak, as others have mentioned. It's 30 minutes door to ramp and it gets the job done. Not very many big havasu boats around but probably at least 16-18 miles dam to dam if you want to open it up but as others have said it gets pretty rough on weekend afternoons. We have an 11 and 13yo now so we are with everyone else boarding and tubing. I guess we need to have a Boise raft-up next summer??
We camped CJ strike last labor day and had fun, everything is much quieter and smaller up here but still a good time. More fisherman at CJ than anything else. It's about an hour away. Not up in the hills, just a pretty flat lake. There is also Lake Lowell about 15 miles west in Nampa but it's been compared to Elsinore quality-wise so we have not tried it yet. Mostly wakeboats and bassboats from what I hear.

probablecause

Reaction score

Nailed it. Moved here 3 years ago (Meridian North of Chinden). Lucky Peak is the closest for sure. Mcall is good but I prefer Cascade. Water was low this year but oh well.

probablecause

Reaction score
We moved up to Boise just over a year ago now. Love it. We normally hit Lucky Peak, as others have mentioned. It's 30 minutes door to ramp and it gets the job done. Not very many big havasu boats around but probably at least 16-18 miles dam to dam if you want to open it up but as others have said it gets pretty rough on weekend afternoons. We have an 11 and 13yo now so we are with everyone else boarding and tubing. I guess we need to have a Boise raft-up next summer??
We camped CJ strike last labor day and had fun, everything is much quieter and smaller up here but still a good time. More fisherman at CJ than anything else. It's about an hour away. Not up in the hills, just a pretty flat lake. There is also Lake Lowell about 15 miles west in Nampa but it's been compared to Elsinore quality-wise so we have not tried it yet. Mostly wakeboats and bassboats from what I hear.
Lowell: Less than Elsinor.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I had a friend move up to McCall. Unfortunately he passed away from cancer before I ever made it up there to visit him but the pictures he sent were incredible. Like others have said the lake there is like Arrowhead or Big Bear: high alpine lakes. Looked awesome. I would totally consider moving to Idaho, my only concern is having a more performance boat I would not know where I could take it that would be able to work on it (Teague Engine, IMCO drive).

I'd probably prefer to be closer to a larger metro area for better jobs, but not in it. Somewhere on the fringes of Boise sounds doable.

JFMFG

Reaction score
The event was called legend of the monarchs. My wife’s grandparents have a house across from standpoint. A lot of wake boats. There’s a few go fast boats on that lake too. Saw a bunch of photos from the run some big heavy hitters there. Mti dcb and skaters.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
🤣🤣🤣
I have nothing to add but this that i just happened to put into the FB thread.
4E814D39-929D-49CD-B251-55B925065699.jpeg

Hoodoo

Reaction score
Snowmelt water stays cool all summer.

Attachments

• 10503A25-8B42-4408-A85A-395CA9B594A0.jpeg
    10503A25-8B42-4408-A85A-395CA9B594A0.jpeg
    930.6 KB · Views: 51

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
CDA and Sandpoint will probably be your best bet. With a 5 hour range it will open up some options in Oregon as well I believe.
CDA is about 8 hours from Boise. Pend Oreille is an hour further. Beautiful lakes, but not really accessible for the weekend if you are in Boise. Payette is beautiful and not too far. It's about 2.5 hours away. The Snake River is massive and I've seen boats on it, but mostly 20' fishing boats and smaller. I've never noticed performance boats on it, but I've never spent a lot of time there, just crossed over it many times.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Not sure if mentioned above, but Pend Oreille is pronounced “Pond-Der-Ray”. I’m probably the only one that didn’t know that but was corrected this past summer by my daughter who lives there. French I guess ;)
Boy, I was way off, thanks for the French lesson

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We want to do that!! We were planning on doing the one out of Riggins up the Salmon one summer, but couldn't get anyone to do it with us.

River Runnin

Reaction score
We want to do that!! We were planning on doing the one out of Riggins up the Salmon one summer, but couldn't get anyone to do it with us.
If he’s still at it? Talk to Gabe @ Snake Charmer! — One of the best pilots on the river! ;)