WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prarie Dogs

dave29

Reaction score
Having a Prarie Dog problem. Aside form the usual answer "just shoot them", anyone have any proven method of taking care of these prolific critters??
Thanks

Flynryan

Reaction score
I HAD gopher problems until I stuck a few flares in the ground,

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Indangered here :( shit ton of them , we have a gopher problem but I might try the flare deal

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Having a Prarie Dog problem. Aside form the usual answer "just shoot them", anyone have any proven method of taking care of these prolific critters??
Thanks
I have heard of running a hose from your car exhaust into there hole and just let it run

Flynryan

Reaction score
The car exhaust would be the same as a road flare. I just bought a few, lite them and stuck em down the holes and covered them up.

redone76

Reaction score
HAWK.jpg

This has worked great for my brother and a few buddies.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
I also did the water hose down the hole

Taboma

Reaction score
Thanks

I realize this still involves shooting --- but place a few Tannerite charges around their mound openings, when they pop up, don't shoot the prairie dog, but the Tannerite, that outta be spectacular :eek: Be sure to video it :D

As far as Gophers, fuck me, I've been fighting those bastards forever and have discovered that many methods work, or not, depending and the game requires constantly changing strategies.
Some days, the Macabee style traps work, others, only the Victor Black Box type traps work. Early last spring I got well over a dozen in a row using two Black Boxes, facing opposite directions. I was pumped, proclaiming myself master Gopher Killer --- then I couldn't get one if I hit him over the head with one :mad: Switched to Macabee's, immediately I was back in the game, but it was short lived.
Then the worst happened, got one in my pretty lawn --- oh fuck me :mad: So instead of digging up huge holes, I figured I'd try the highway flares, essentially being a much larger version of the so called Gopher Bombs.
I had an old timer tell me that the secret to the bombs or flares is using a shop vac on blow, to force the smoke more rapidly and further into the tunnels. You see, a gopher can plug a tunnel in about 5 seconds or so, easily sealing himself off until it dissipates. Using my probe, I found the main run(s), using a 3/4" pvc pipe, I opened a hole at a slight angle to allow the flare to drop mostly into the tunnel, lit the flare, shoved the running vac hose end over the hole and blew --- Holy Hell, the surrounding areas started to resemble Yellowstone, I had tiny smoke plumes venting seemingly right out of the dirt. I was confident I'd spread it wide and far. I was optimistic for three days, on the forth morning the prick was back !! :mad: Pissed, but determined I kept trying, I punched so many damned holes and place so many damned flares, I ended up killing a large section of lawn, most likely from all the sulpher :( :rolleyes: So next I go out, at wits end by now, and drop a shit load of old gopher poison pellets down a few of the punched holes --- poison that had seemingly stopped working two years prior --- and now almost a year later, he's not returned. I "THINK" I got him :D
One of the most gratifying methods is using TBI's trick, but instead of a stick, I use a long screwdriver :D:D
Gopher on a 3 foot screwdriver.jpg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
That might take a while!
I but a couple of those gopher bomb smoke deals in the hole, then forced the smoke through the tunnel system with a leaf blower.
There was smoke coming from the cracks in the next door neighbors drive way, smoke coming from the front yard of the people across the street and over one.
Was pretty impressive looking back on it, but a severe pain in the ass at the time.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
I've got the weapon to shoot these guys but, the backdrop is a very rocky hill. Even though I'm on 5 acres I don't want to chance a ricochet into my neighbors house.
177 air rifle, I’m killing crows , at 50-70 yards fuckers are killing my chickens and stealing like 6-7 eggs a day

Taboma

Reaction score

Yeah, although I live on a slope, so flooding isn't easily accomplished, but I've tried just cuz. I've pumped so much water down a hole it started freaking me out wondering where it was going and where it might eventually come out creating an epic flood :eek:
I'd run around down hill searching for any water springing forth, nope. So I figure it's either coming out in some neighbors yard, or I live over a giant underground cavern :eek:

DLC

Reaction score
I my yard is semi flat and I try to do the killing in my neighbors yard, so they don’t invade my yard, the gophers are playing around a few edges of my yard. I usually use a hose and clear a path way find as many holes as I can at about 3 pm and then around 5-6 pm same evening the bastards come to plug the new hole I created then I get a hose and flood em and they pop up out of the ground or I drop in some fire with a flare!

I got 2 last week! Eating good in the neighborhood!

I’ve heard if you have access to a back hoe, is to dig up the den and the tunnels and then compact the crap of it!

prorider

Reaction score
Look up hmgophercontrol.com .This style of gasser is only thing we have found to work very good. Rozol works if there isn't any green vegetation around, but is illegal to use in lots of areas.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Martin's Gopher Bait 50 Strychnine. Less than a teaspoon of this stuff kills in 3-4 hours.
Most other shit takes 3-4 days of feed to kill.

Bob Bitchen

Reaction score
Rodenator,
https://www.rodenator.com/
They are about $850 bucks but they are worth every cent. They mix propane and oxygen and have a lighter at the tip. They are rated to kill prairie dogs. Look up the Youtube videos

707dog

Reaction score
Try sitting on toilet, sometimes you have to push hard to get rid of prolific ones.:p
:D lmao that was gonna be my response...just told my youngest boy(10) about prairie dogging he was cracking up now its a dugout joke at baseball when a player back out of the box on a close pitch they all yell "stop prairie dogging the box...look what i started

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
:D lmao that was gonna be my response...just told my youngest boy(10) about prairie dogging he was cracking up now its a dugout joke at baseball when a player back out of the box on a close pitch they all yell "stop prairie dogging the box...look what i started

Right on 707PrairieDog, :D "Dad, I'm prairie dogging it" or "I'm dilated to 9 centimeters" or "Operation evacuation, commence"

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I use a device called a Gopher probe , insert into ground , and when you find tunnel , you release poison pellets . Works great

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
I've got the weapon to shoot these guys but, the backdrop is a very rocky hill. Even though I'm on 5 acres I don't want to chance a ricochet into my neighbors house.
1 shot 1 kill....no missing allowed...
no ricochet with kill shots. 8)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Rodenator.

If you remember their initial commercials online they were awesome.. LOL

The guy went on to say "While I hate to admit it, there's a certain satisfaction in blowing them all to hell" or something to that effect.. LOL I laughed the first time I heard it, I remember that. You could definitely pull it out of the comment and tone of his voice/ vs the concern for the new and upcoming "PC" bullshit.

RD

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
If you remember their initial commercials online they were awesome.. LOL

The guy went on to say "While I hate to admit it, there's a certain satisfaction in blowing them all to hell" or something to that effect.. LOL I laughed the first time I heard it, I remember that. You could definitely pull it out of the comment and tone of his voice/ vs the concern for the new and upcoming "PC" bullshit.

RD

At my old property (4 acres) I considered getting the basic model.
But I had so much PVC in the ground for water and sprinklers I decided against it.
Sure would have been fun though!

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Assuming you are not in the communist state Strychnine baits work well. I have heard rumors that they also work well there but I am sure those are complete rumors with no truth to them....... All of this is assuming you can get your hands on some or have 100+ lbs siting in an outbuilding. It can be amazing what you can inherit or shows up with a piece of property. I decided to get rid of the DDT, several gallons of paraquat, and any of the other "garden and yard" sprays that had a mercury base.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
I bought some flares today after sunset I go in for the Kill ;)

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
The 17 bullets are so small fast, they disintegrate rather than richochet.

As far as killing 'em, go big like ol' Burt.....

"Doin' what I can with what I got.....":D

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
I drug the area so 1st little fuck pops up I gas his ass