WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Preparing to move...sometimes I just have to laugh...

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Or it would drive me crazy.
We are hoping to move next spring, and as such we have been fixing up some stuff on the house and around the house, and I am going through stuff, getting rid of stuff, and discovering stuff.
Mind you, we have lived here for 42 years. Raised two gearhead sons, built 3 or 4 sand rails ,(me) Toyota 4x4s, (boys) Quads (boys) and a couple of hot rods (me) and supported a few 4x4 full size trucks (me).
In other words, some stuff has accumulated.
Good Lord has it ever.
Last week I was working in the shed, putting all the lubricants, filters, etc I keep in stock for everything form the damn mowers to the truck into plastic tubs. I came across 4 neatly stacked 1 quart bottles of Teak Oil. 4 of them, one in front of the other. The first one I pulled off the shelf was half full.
So was the second.
So was the third. I could barely get the lid open.
The fourth, way in the back, well the lid was rusted closed and the top of the can was starting to rust.
The only thing we have ever owned that had Teak on it was the Ski Sanger, which I sold over 18 months ago. I have no idea how the hell I wound up with 4 freakin' cans of Teak oil, all of them half freaking full.
Or maybe I do.
I can see myself in spring, getting ready to get the boat out, thinking "man I gotta oil the swim deck, do I have any oil? screw it I will stop and get a can".
And so I did....for at least 4 years in a row.
I gave our friends 2 gallons of Quicksilver 20-40 oil, and half a dozen impeller kits (don't ask, I dunno), a brand new never used steel jeep can and mount, two trailer disk brake hose kits, a surge brake master cylinder kit.
I got rid of parts for vehicles I haven't owned in 10 years. My rule right now is if I haven't used it in 5 years I don't need it, other than hardware and tools.
I am getting rid of a lot of stuff, the extra trash can we got just for this purpose has a max weight of 250lbs per the company rules, I know I have been close a couple times, LOL...
I am building a pile of Toyota parts for my sons to go through and get rid of, or move to their places. Dads free indoor storage is closing...
I gave away a bunch of Bug parts to a kid down the road who is a hard working youngster and trying to build a street bug, he got some chrome tins, a never used alternator kit, a used twin Solex Carb kit, and a used but was OK 1776 short block, and some other stuff. He is stoked.
I sold my last Beetle 10 years ago.
I have too much stuff....but I am working on it. Two other engines (one 30 over and 4 bolt small block and one standard bore 429, and two transmissions went last month, I have one more trans to go, and maybe one engine...oh and a set of rusty DOVE-C Ford heads, and actually pretty nice set of chinese 460 Ford aluminum heads.. maybe I should keep those...
This is how it starts, boys...beware you youngsters out there. The bigger the shop you build, the more stuff you put in it...
When this is over we are gonna have one hell of a sale on plastic tubs, that is a fact.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
We are hoping to move next spring, and as such we have been fixing up some stuff on the house and around the house, and I am going through stuff, getting rid of stuff, and discovering stuff.
Mind you, we have lived here for 42 years. Raised two gearhead sons, built 3 or 4 sand rails ,(me) Toyota 4x4s, (boys) Quads (boys) and a couple of hot rods (me) and supported a few 4x4 full size trucks (me).
Good Lord has it ever.
Last week I was working in the shed, putting all the lubricants, filters, etc I keep in stock for everything form the damn mowers to the truck into plastic tubs. I came across 4 neatly stacked 1 quart bottles of Teak Oil. 4 of them, one in front of the other. The first one I pulled off the shelf was half full.
So was the second.
The fourth, way in the back, well the lid was rusted closed and the top of the can was starting to rust.
The only thing we have ever owned that had Teak on it was the Ski Sanger, which I sold over 18 months ago. I have no idea how the hell I wound up with 4 freakin' cans of Teak oil, all of them half freaking full.
Or maybe I do.
I can see myself in spring, getting ready to get the boat out, thinking "man I gotta oil the swim deck, do I have any oil? screw it I will stop and get a can".
I gave our friends 2 gallons of Quicksilver 20-40 oil, and half a dozen impeller kits (don't ask, I dunno), a brand new never used steel jeep can and mount, two trailer disk brake hose kits, a surge brake master cylinder kit.
I got rid of parts for vehicles I haven't owned in 10 years. My rule right now is if I haven't used it in 5 years I don't need it, other than hardware and tools.
I am getting rid of a lot of stuff, the extra trash can we got just for this purpose has a max weight of 250lbs per the company rules, I know I have been close a couple times, LOL...
I am building a pile of Toyota parts for my sons to go through and get rid of, or move to their places. Dads free indoor storage is closing...
I gave away a bunch of Bug parts to a kid down the road who is a hard working youngster and trying to build a street bug, he got some chrome tins, a never used alternator kit, a used twin Solex Carb kit, and a used but was OK 1776 short block, and some other stuff. He is stoked.
I have too much stuff....but I am working on it. Two other engines (one 30 over and 4 bolt small block and one standard bore 429, and two transmissions went last month, I have one more trans to go, and maybe one engine...oh and a set of rusty DOVE-C Ford heads, and actually pretty nice set of chinese 460 Ford aluminum heads.. maybe I should keep those...
This is how it starts, boys...beware you youngsters out there. The bigger the shop you build, the more stuff you put in it...
When this is over we are gonna have one hell of a sale on plastic tubs, that is a fact.

I've known this was an inevitability for me my entire life. My garage is already full.

I'm sorry for your loss.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Good Lord has it ever.
So was the second.
Or maybe I do.
I understand completely. Get rid of all that shit and you will feel liberated!

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I can related, although not to that level, thankfully. Lol. Moved recently and it was a serious pain preparing house for sale and weeding through the accumulated “stuff.” The wife saves nothing and never got into any activities or sports. I’ve dabbled in most activities and sports and had crap for days, plus had 5 vehicles and a boat at start of process. Sold one truck and the boat. Ton of parts went bye bye. Finally got rid of the spare TH-400 trans I had for 20 years (for a 12 pack to an RDP member). Still have too many bicycles and guitars that made the move. The old tech VHS, Cassettes, Vinyl, CD, gaming systems, still takes up space in house.

Bad thing is, we bought a bigger house. So, now we have way more furniture, pictures, more bicycles. More damn everything, except the garage still has way less “stuff.”

It’s a tough disease to shake!! Good luck with your move and thinning the “stuff.”

bonesfab

Reaction score
Give me space and I will fill it up.. I moved my shop 16 years ago. from 1200 sqft to 4000 sqft. This is awsome. I will never fill it up. Yea right. Now I have 16000 sqft of shop and more shit than I know what to do with. There are over 40 engines and 50 transmissions. I have been selling shit on ebay. Doesn't even put a dent in it. I joke you pay by the square but you have to use it by the cube. I will be moving from one house to another beginning of the year. Just the house shit is overwhelming. Hoarding runs in the family. But it's not hoarding if its cool shit.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Well it is good to know I am not alone.

I have about 1300 sq, ft of shop space. Right now, the spare bedroom is packed and out there along with my stuff. Working on the floor in the spare bedroom. Plus, we have two freezers and a shop fridge out there, and a jet boat, and a Poker Table (keeping that sucker) . the 40, etc.

I have a bunch of cop stuff up in the loft, I have gotten rid of a bunch of it but some I want my sons to have, so they gonna have it now.
I first subscribed to Car Craft and Hot Rod when I was 12...and I have never let it lapse. CC is no more, but I have all those years of magazines up there too, most in some old cardboard magazine holders that handle about 12-18 issues per. Sons are not interested, another young man is, so they will go to him. I still get Hot Rod, will see to it he gets the new mags til I depart. To get the HR and CC he has to take the 10 years of Truckin and a few years of Hot VWs, etc.
Today I learned how to package framed art and posters. I am practicing on the cheaper stuff first. I have some nice pieces in the shop and in the house, and will get my technique down before tackling those.
So I am thinning down, but some of these things...I am a sentimentalist.
Losing my Dad when he was 56 and I was 24 had a huge impact on me. I am the keeper of the family memory, no one else was interested. A woman scorned actually threw the sabre my uncle received when he got his commission in the Navy in 1939 in a dumpster..
My Dad snagged it.
I have a lot of Texaco stuff because my maternal Grandfather had a Texaco Station before and during the war, and he passed before I was born. I have his Texaco Certified Franchise Certificate, dated 1933 out there. Have a bunch of gas stamps, etc.
I have a 10 gallon Boyle-Dayton Visible gas pump that needs a lot of work, but repop pieces are easy to come by. It will become a Texaco Pump. I ain't letting it go...

Bonesfab, your situation was my greatest fear when I built the big addition for the hoist. I added 32x24 and told myself to be good...yeah right.

"But it is not hording if it is cool shit". That has been my motto. It is all cool shit in my eyes, or was at one time or another.
Would be good on a Tee Shirt, LOL.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Give me space and I will fill it up.. I moved my shop 16 years ago. from 1200 sqft to 4000 sqft. This is awsome. I will never fill it up. Yea right. Now I have 16000 sqft of shop and more shit than I know what to do with. There are over 40 engines and 50 transmissions. I have been selling shit on ebay. Doesn't even put a dent in it. I joke you pay by the square but you have to use it by the cube. I will be moving from one house to another beginning of the year. Just the house shit is overwhelming. Hoarding runs in the family. But it's not hoarding if its cool shit.
Start posting stuff here.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Yea, I have almost 5k in shop space. It is stuffed to the gills. The 67 Mustang I drove in high school and most of college, the 60 t-birds (hard top and convertible) the other random stuff. The RV is soon to be inside in one, but that takes cleaning up an area to get it in......

Its a sickness I tell you.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Yea, I have almost 5k in shop space. It is stuffed to the gills. The 67 Mustang I drove in high school and most of college, the 60 t-birds (hard top and convertible) the other random stuff. The RV is soon to be inside in one, but that takes cleaning up an area to get it in......

Its a sickness I tell you.

And there is no cure for it. Just like covid.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I have a storage full of shit I haven’t touched in years. I keep saying I’m going to go throw it all out. But I never do.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Within 1 year I moved 3 times. Each time a smaller space ending up in a 450 sq.ft. shit hole. I threw away so much stuff because I didn't have the room. The important stuff like the tools and dirt bikes I was able to put in a hangar. I don't miss nor can I remember any of that stuff I threw away. I'm now in a 1500 sq.ft. house and doing well. I have 2 cabinets and refuse to have any more. Anything I have has to be on opened faced shelving. Once its covered its forgotten about and then the duplicates start accumulating.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
And there is no cure for it. Just like covid.
One of these days you and I might be talking about the Mustang. That would clear a spot in the shop but complicate the garage. The t-birds I haven't figured out just yet. The hard top is the first car I ever remember being in. It was my mom's DD in the late 70's. The convertible is just plain cool and quite rare.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Good Lord has it ever.
So was the second.
Or maybe I do.
Having just consolidated three houses into one for our move to Havasu I can totally relate to everything that you just said (even the teak oil for the ski Sanger). I thought that having a three bay garage with a 52’ deep bay to move into was going too be enough but I will be adding another 12’ and a loft room. That’s after going through everything and downsizing.
The stuff that we accumulate over the years is amazing.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Good Lord has it ever.
So was the second.
Or maybe I do.
Many of us gearheads should be institutionalized for hoarding shit.
I have very slowly begun purging things I've collected for the "I can use this someday" syndrome.
To be 100% honest, I tend to get attached to stupid junk and struggle to let go....but it was really watching American Pickers that began to sway my tendancies. Seeing an 85 yr old that can barely walk not sell Mike&Frank a big project car because Mr hobbling 85yr old still plans to build & complete it.🙄 I certainly understand the passion but sooner or later the reality of it coming to fruition should be obvious.........and that's kinda where I'm at, seeing some of that reality.
Hmmm🤔🤔...you all might check the classified section soon😁😆

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Having just consolidated three houses into one for our move to Havasu I can totally relate to everything that you just said (even the teak oil for the ski Sanger). I thought that having a three bay garage with a 52’ deep bay to move into was going too be enough but I will be adding another 12’ and a loft room. That’s after going through everything and downsizing.
The stuff that we accumulate over the years is amazing.
The other option is to pull an RD and rent a 3500sqft industrial building.😂🤣😂

old rigger

Reaction score
Good Lord has it ever.
So was the second.
Or maybe I do.

We're thinking of moving too next year so I've been getting rid of all my Model A &T parts. Found a local guy on the HAMB and gave him everything. The only real parts I have now are for one more boat I want to restore, if I ever find the damn thing. I do have the 327 that came out of our '64 Impala wagon my parents bought new, an extra 273 Commando engine and 4 speed and posi rear for the '65 Barracuda. And an extra rear window for the same car, which is a pain in the ass to store. But mostly I've gotten rid of a lot of parts. Feels good too.

I bought my first boat when I was 19 or 20, a long fucking time ago, a Weiman outboard. In one of my cabinets over the work bench I still have 5 cans of pull top 2 stroke oil from when I had that boat...pre bar code cans. For some reason I've hung onto them since the mid 70s and 5 moves.

IMG_3582.JPG

My dad and uncle in Bullhead back in the day with the barracuda and wagon. Wish I had our old Westwood trailer
fullsizeoutput_5b2b.jpeg

bonesfab

Reaction score
We're thinking of moving too next year so I've been getting rid of all my Model A &T parts. Found a local guy on the HAMB and gave him everything. The only real parts I have now are for one more boat I want to restore, if I ever find the damn thing. I do have the 327 that came out of our '64 Impala wagon my parents bought new, an extra 273 Commando engine and 4 speed and posi rear for the '65 Barracuda. And an extra rear window for the same car, which is a pain in the ass to store. But mostly I've gotten rid of a lot of parts. Feels good too.

I bought my first boat when I was 19 or 20, a long fucking time ago, a Weiman outboard. In one of my cabinets over the work bench I still have 5 cans of pull top 2 stroke oil from when I had that boat...pre bar code cans. For some reason I've hung onto them since the mid 70s and 5 moves.

View attachment 1071558

My dad and uncle in Bullhead back in the day with the barracuda and wagon. Wish I had our old Westwood trailer
View attachment 1071559
cool pic and cool that you have one of the cars.

old rigger

Reaction score
cool pic and cool that you have one of the cars.

Cant remember what happen to the wagon, I think dad gave it away after we pulled the 327. He gave it to my grandpa in '69 and then got it back around '80.
Who knew wagons would be collectable. Today it's worth at least double what the 'cuda is.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Cant remember what happen to the wagon, I think dad gave it away after we pulled the 327. He gave it to my grandpa in '69 and then got it back around '80.
Who knew wagons would be collectable. Today it's worth at least double what the 'cuda is.
I have 59 wagon as one of my daily drivers. Grew up with a 67 ford wagon. family trucksters.

bonesfab

Reaction score
being a car guy is tough on space. we tend to accumulate stuff. think ive got probalby half a dozen compete engines between my garage and storage, and many more disassembled.
I have been where I am long enough now I get the old guys bringing me boxes of crap that they are cleaning out. I will take it all and throw away the garbage. some cool trinkets. mostly garbage.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
The week between Christmas and New Years I will finish my move. I have lived in the house 15 years, have built full tub chassis ATV drag bikes and snowmobiles, rehabbed I don't know how many boats/cars/ATV's etc. I bought a 48' trailer and said that is all I get to take with me from the house and shop. And within that I also had to fit my 63' Mercedes Sedan (BIG car)

I bet I hauled 10 heaping dump trailers full of shit to the dump. Did I toss out $40k worth of shit? ABSOLUTELY, but I have no time to deal with CL trying to sell it, and the audience interested in most is EXTREMELY small in my area. It feels AMAZING to be nearly done! There was shit that I brought to that house from my previous 15 years ago that hadn't moved since I set it there! What is left is the GOOD tools and parts from the garage, and the GOOD furniture and household stuff from the house. Virtually everything else went in the trash!

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Many of us gearheads should be institutionalized for hoarding shit.
I have very slowly begun purging things I've collected for the "I can use this someday" syndrome.
To be 100% honest, I tend to get attached to stupid junk and struggle to let go....but it was really watching American Pickers that began to sway my tendancies. Seeing an 85 yr old that can barely walk not sell Mike&Frank a big project car because Mr hobbling 85yr old still plans to build & complete it.🙄 I certainly understand the passion but sooner or later the reality of it coming to fruition should be obvious.........and that's kinda where I'm at, seeing some of that reality.
Hmmm🤔🤔...you all might check the classified section soon😁😆
I have been where I am long enough now I get the old guys bringing me boxes of crap that they are cleaning out. I will take it all and throw away the garbage. some cool trinkets. mostly garbage.
being a car guy is tough on space. we tend to accumulate stuff. think ive got probalby half a dozen compete engines between my garage and storage, and many more disassembled.

This comes to mind....
155016712_1336378240054607_1254482252865671138_o.jpg

old rigger

Reaction score
I have 59 wagon as one of my daily drivers. Grew up with a 67 ford wagon. family trucksters.
My other uncle had the wagon I'd love to have. He and dad bought them at the same time, ours white with blue ice interior. My uncle's was blue on blue but he ordered it with the vette 327, 4 speed, dash tach, few other little things.
That wagon was the first car we had with AC. Before we'd tow the boat to the river behind mom's Falcon 6, lol. Poor thing really had it's tongue out on some of those long grades.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
The other option is to pull an RD and rent a 3500sqft industrial building.😂🤣😂
I did rent a storage locker to help during the organizing and considered just buying a industrial space just for my hobbies.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score

View attachment 1071558

View attachment 1071559
You know that the rear window for that car is like money in the bank, it just takes up more room. Lol

old rigger

Reaction score
You know that the rear window for that car is like money in the bank, it just takes up more room. Lol

I thought the same but after hanging out on a few mopar sites I found they're kinda common. But I've done this before, give something away or sell it then 6 months later I'm on the hunt for the same damn thing. At the very least I'll keep it until after paint and new window seals.

Your ad here

Reaction score
My dad collected more stuff when he moved. Some of my stuff was mixed in, in his last move and I was told it had to go somewhere other than his house. I was making a pile to run it over with the tractor so it would fit in the dumpster. He asked what I was doing and told him it's going in the trash. He huffed and puffed and said it's good stuff, he'll take it. At that point it was his and I went and drank beers the rest of the afternoon.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I had a friend doing this for his parents when they were moving and he stumbled across a left handed cigarette he had stashed when he was younger! 😂

redone76

Reaction score
Someone say wagons are collectible??? Helping my buddy get this road worthy.
E43A6D23-EF84-42B1-B080-0D803E0C7D1D.jpeg
A561380A-8F8B-4FDA-BEC1-8D3594E52547.jpeg

gqchris

Reaction score
The guy who lives across the street from me lost his fight with cancer a fewweeks ago. . I didnt care for the guy, he was a tweaker and selling shit when i moved here 5 years ago.

Anyways, his dad owns the house. Dad is just about Dead. So older brother, who told me that they had a troubled relationship , gets the house.

Dumpsters start arriving and everything is thrown out. Tons of shit. I refused to go look because I dont need more shit. Got my own problems!

Moral of the story, its only “cool shit” to you. Once its over, noone cares. Noone. Sucks but its reality.

Just Ducky

Reaction score
Wow I can totally relate. When we made our move it wasn't that bad but still had mega stuff to sort sell and pitch. Was the most crazy thing to open the garage door the morning we left for the last time and turn on the lights and there was nothing in the garage, totally empty. You have to take it one day at a time until done . Be strong! Sometimes it's very hard to let shit go.

Sherpa

Reaction score
so where are you moving to? I didn't see it if you posted......... I'm scared myself to have to/get to move...... we've been in this house for 28
years....
the "big-tool" list is pretty extensive.
mill, lathe, ironworker, sheet metal brake, shear, slip roller, drill press, 3 welders, big press, a frame lifts, and lots and lots of car truck and boat stuff.

not to mention 4 boats, 6 vehicles, motorcycles, and a project jeep. arg. actually it's kind of why I bought a 35 foot gooseneck trailer this summer.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
so where are you moving to? I didn't see it if you posted......... I'm scared myself to have to/get to move...... we've been in this house for 28
years....
the "big-tool" list is pretty extensive.
mill, lathe, ironworker, sheet metal brake, shear, slip roller, drill press, 3 welders, big press, a frame lifts, and lots and lots of car truck and boat stuff.

not to mention 4 boats, 6 vehicles, motorcycles, and a project jeep. arg. actually it's kind of why I bought a 35 foot gooseneck trailer this summer.
Northern Nevada.
South of Reno...Haven't nailed it down yet, we don't want a track home, we are open to several areas, south of Carson City, east of Carson City, etc.
I am not thrilled with it either but the truth is California isn't going to work for us for a lot of reasons, income change when wire retires, cost of everything, politics, etc. Not to mention I ain't no kid anymore and this place takes lots of work when spring and early summer roll around, I am talking two days a week on a mower and the same on a weed eater, irrigation issues, etc. After 40 years I am ready for a change.
I have the big tools too...mill, big bandsaw, 3 welders, fab tables., plasma cutter, 4 point lift, 3 big tool boxes, specialty tools, etc.
Might sell the lift, I dunno. Then there is the 40 Ford, etc.
I have a substantial collection of Hot Wheels, several plastic tubs worth, would like to sell them but may find a way to donate them.
Stereo gear, antique radios, (big floor standing kind from the 40's)
Yup. A lifetime.
I will be leaving the 3 riding lawnmowers and multiple weed eaters behind tho. This makes me smile....

bonesfab

Reaction score
Northern Nevada.
South of Reno...Haven't nailed it down yet, we don't want a track home, we are open to several areas, south of Carson City, east of Carson City, etc.
I am not thrilled with it either but the truth is California isn't going to work for us for a lot of reasons, income change when wire retires, cost of everything, politics, etc. Not to mention I ain't no kid anymore and this place takes lots of work when spring and early summer roll around, I am talking two days a week on a mower and the same on a weed eater, irrigation issues, etc. After 40 years I am ready for a change.
I have the big tools too...mill, big bandsaw, 3 welders, fab tables., plasma cutter, 4 point lift, 3 big tool boxes, specialty tools, etc.
Might sell the lift, I dunno. Then there is the 40 Ford, etc.
I have a substantial collection of Hot Wheels, several plastic tubs worth, would like to sell them but may find a way to donate them.
Stereo gear, antique radios, (big floor standing kind from the 40's)
Yup. A lifetime.
I will be leaving the 3 riding lawnmowers and multiple weed eaters behind tho. This makes me smile....
I have been collecting hot wheels. One day I will load them up in the bus and give them out to kids at car shows to try and stir a little interest in the hobby.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
Friend who is retired just moved from Diamond Springs/Placerville CA area to Gardnerville, NV, because of the wild fire problems & PG&E. He wanted to go to Colorado area but needed to stay a days drive from family who are in the Sacramento area. He purchase 4.5-5 acres and a 2300 sq ft home for about $900K about 18 months ago.
Best of luck in your search.

Last edited: