WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prevailing wage const contracts

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Who does all prevailing wage work? Are you a sub? GC? Best spot to see bid opportunities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Who does all prevailing wage work? Are you a sub? GC? Best spot to see bid opportunities?

Sub and do a lot of Prevailing wage work.

Construct connect is decent for a list of bid opportunities, we just started using them. Before was the Blue Book and they are decent as well but I think construct connect pulls from more areas.

You also need to sign up on beta.sam.gov, this used to Fed Biz Ops. This is where all the feds list there projects.

The California site is Cal Eprocure. So sign up with them as well.

Are you looking to go prime or sub? Are you a small business, minority or female owned??

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Sub and do a lot of Prevailing wage work.

Construct connect is decent for a list of bid opportunities, we just started using them. Before was the Blue Book and they are decent as well but I think construct connect pulls from more areas.

You also need to sign up on beta.sam.gov, this used to Fed Biz Ops. This is where all the feds list there projects.

The California site is Cal Eprocure. So sign up with them as well.

Are you looking to go prime or sub? Are you a small business, minority or female owned??

Thank you! We have a few prevailing maintenance contracts now but want more and bigger projects.

I would love to do prime but would like to do some sub work for a little bit. We are diverse enough to be a sub on a few trades!

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Thank you! We have a few prevailing maintenance contracts now but want more and bigger projects.

I would love to do prime but would like to do some sub work for a little bit. We are diverse enough to be a sub on a few trades!

Your welcome!

If you happen to fall into he small business side of things that can help you get in with the larger Primes.

As far as going prime, you might have better luck on the smaller city projects so start gaining past performance. If not try and find the Primes where you can start getting work from them to build your past performance.

Also if you don't have a bond line you will limit yourself with some GCs as well as going as a prime as well.

What trades are you doing?

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Do you know any construction that doesn’t involve some headache? From all my experience you trade headache for headache.

Exactly. I think it gives me a better chance competitive wise. Of course there are still shady companies not paying correct but for the most part if you have to pay the same labor rate as me then it just comes down to overhead and profit and who can do the job better/quicker.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Your welcome!

If you happen to fall into he small business side of things that can help you get in with the larger Primes.

As far as going prime, you might have better luck on the smaller city projects so start gaining past performance. If not try and find the Primes where you can start getting work from them to build your past performance.

Also if you don't have a bond line you will limit yourself with some GCs as well as going as a prime as well.

What trades are you doing?

Trades would depend on the size of the job. We self perform demo, framing, paint and cabinetry.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Trades would depend on the size of the job. We self perform demo, framing, paint and cabinetry.

Right on. We mostly do soft demo and Abatement. So if you come across anything that you need Asbestos or Lead abatement let me know.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Do you know any construction that doesn’t involve some headache? From all my experience you trade headache for headache.

We are a UNION company but do some prevailing wage jobs. The GCs we work for have someone on staff that just deals with PW projects. Once you have done a couple the headaches get smaller.

HgH Vltg

Reaction score
We are a UNION company but do some prevailing wage jobs. The GCs we work for have someone on staff that just deals with PW projects. Once you have done a couple the headaches get smaller.

The company I work for, we have 4 full time compliance girls. All they do all day, is keep everyone in line, and keep the monitoring agencies happy.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
As far as being a sub, feds have more headaches then state. But for the most part once you figure out your submitalls and your certified payroll it's get much easier.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
As far as being a sub, feds have more headaches then state. But for the most part once you figure out your submitalls and your certified payroll it's get much easier.
Yep. I always put in a little more profit on PW jobs For the extra paperwork..:p

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score
I’m a supplier (steel,drywall, etc) we are being asked to participate, but it’s random and hard to understand how we get involved.
One job says no another on on the same block says yes, and don’t get me started on operator engineer rates $$$$$$

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I’m a supplier (steel,drywall, etc) we are being asked to participate, but it’s random and hard to understand how we get involved.
One job says no another on on the same block says yes, and don’t get me started on operator engineer rates $$$$$$
Are you a minority, women, veteran ......owned company. I bid a large project at a college and we got extra points for buying from companies that were owned by the above.

HgH Vltg

Reaction score
Are you a minority, women, veteran ......owned company. I bid a large project at a college and we got extra points for buying from companies that were owned by the above.

Exactly what I was typing. It helps the GC to satisfy that requirement, if we can pair a mbe/wbe DVBE supplier with one of our key subs.

Last edited:

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score

our subs work that out on their end.
We supply the DVEB companies for those jobs.

We like the PLA‘s they are cut and dry.

Javajoe

Reaction score
CM work. Superintendent: Build high schools, colleges, churches etc. Normally 3 year contracts, 100mil. Plus. We do have a website to get prequalified on. 99% PW. Super busy year in year out

Last edited:

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Just a friendly plug for Brian. He is my supplier for a good size private job in Camarillo. He's definitely taking care of us.

Thanks Brian.

Joker

Reaction score
Planet Bids. I pay for blue book but most of the stuff they advertise is garbage unless you’re into new construction

Joker

Reaction score
Complete Bullshit and a scam. Since when should a minority get a job because of his color. What happened to points for quality?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Work on pumping up your bonding capacity and a well established safety program with high quality marketing materials. Aim to get a proven workers comp track record with an EMR well under 1.0. Push use of Ipads and visible employment of tech at the field level. These things will open up bigger and better opportunities.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Work on pumping up your bonding capacity and a well established safety program with high quality marketing materials. Aim to get a proven workers comp track record with an EMR well under 1.0. Push use of Ipads and visible employment of tech at the field level. These things will open up bigger and better opportunities.
Great advice!

Joker

Reaction score
The EMR rating is huge now. We’re getting Public works contracts with a 0 rating as most companies are over that 1.0 mark.

Jgarrison

Reaction score
Construct Connect is the best one in my opinion, we also use planet bids as well. Solar contractor, both prime and sub depending on the scope of work.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
For the iPads, I assuming your referencing electronic dailies? I want to convert us to something like that. Any suggestions on programs?

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
The EMR rating is huge now. We’re getting Public works contracts with a 0 rating as most companies are over that 1.0 mark.
That's good to hear. Ours is well under 1 right now. It's not easy to keep it that way on construction.

Last edited:

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Construct Connect is the best one in my opinion, we also use planet bids as well. Solar contractor, both prime and sub depending on the scope of work.
Yeah I think they basically mergerd with isqft and a couple others? Pretty good platform now

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
For the iPads, I assuming your referencing electronic dailies? I want to convert us to something like that. Any suggestions on programs?

The problem is everybody is on something different. The idea is that you can get away from doing separate shit for the GC, vs your team, etc - but every GC runs a different program, and many are proprietary and written for them with some wierd twist. We use Plangrid, i'm personally not a fan. I think Procore has come out with a pretty capable software that I hear good things about.

It's not so much about "what" you use, just that you make it visible that you employ tech at the field level. It's actually a bid requirement on alot of these bigger commercial projects for the foreman / field team to utilize tablets and electronic communication capabilities as a general requirement. Everybody is on the tech train, for better or worse.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Yep, EMR is huge. We are around a .5 +/- on our 2 year rolling average

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
The problem is everybody is on something different. The idea is that you can get away from doing separate shit for the GC, vs your team, etc - but every GC runs a different program, and many are proprietary and written for them with some wierd twist. We use Plangrid, i'm personally not a fan. I think Procore has come out with a pretty capable software that I hear good things about.

It's not so much about "what" you use, just that you make it visible that you employ tech at the field level. It's actually a bid requirement on alot of these bigger commercial projects for the foreman / field team to utilize tablets and electronic communication capabilities as a general requirement. Everybody is on the tech train, for better or worse.
Right on man I appreciate the detailed response. We're definitely moving towards that now but out software is limited. So we will need to find something more robust.

Subadvantage

Reaction score
We recently began listing our contract solicitations on Planet Bids. As a contractor, not sure if you sign up with Planet Bids or VendorLine.

Hammer

Reaction score

We use Procore. IMO It only make sense to run it if you run everything through it(submittals,RFI’s, bids,job costs,daily logs etc..) it’s a great software but only as good the field superintendents computer knowledge. It’s [emoji383][emoji383][emoji383].

I can(and have/am) run projects on the other side of the country through Procore. Only doing site visits every other month or at a big milestone in the schedule.

I put everything my guys need in procore and most of them aren’t tech savvy enough to find different folders, information etc... hell they barely check their email. The ones that are tech savvy, typically lack the field knowledge that I prefer.

To be fair, they are old school and are hands on supers that are focused on keeping the subs on track and making sure the install is per plan.

I bet 40% of their week is figuring out what the architect/engineer put on the drawings and making it work in real life. Half the time they don’t have time to wait a week for an answer..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
I’m looking to get into bidding commercial work as sub on prevailing wage and private work. I’ll bid almost anything as we are just getting going.

Metal stud frame,drywall ,Mud,tape and paint. We can do a little bit of wood framing too. I’m also a licensed HVAC Contractor. Send me some bid invites. [emoji16]

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
We use Procore. IMO It only make sense to run it if you run everything through it(submittals,RFI’s, bids,job costs,daily logs etc..) it’s a great software but only as good the field superintendents computer knowledge. It’s [emoji383][emoji383][emoji383].

I can(and have/am) run projects on the other side of the country through Procore. Only doing site visits every other month or at a big milestone in the schedule.

I put everything my guys need in procore and most of them aren’t tech savvy enough to find different folders, information etc... hell they barely check their email. The ones that are tech savvy, typically lack the field knowledge that I prefer.

To be fair, they are old school and are hands on supers that are focused on keeping the subs on track and making sure the install is per plan.

I bet 40% of their week is figuring out what the architect/engineer put on the drawings and making it work in real life. Half the time they don’t have time to wait a week for an answer..

T
Procure is definitely the majority when it comes to what the GCs are sending the bids through. They email me them daily.

But most of them I met a rep on job walks and thats how I was listed as a sub. Or I found them through another bid site and signed up to recov bids.

jet496

Reaction score
My wife does our admin & we would be divorced if we continued doing prevailing wage work. The attention to paperwork is insane. I have federal & state disabled vet status but not many jobs are set aside for us. Most go to minorities. I'm not even bothering keeping it current with them anymore, that's a pain in the ass in itself.

Anyway, we are going gang busters in the biotech industry so we'll just stick to what we know. The FDA is a million times easier to deal with.