WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pricing/inflation, how is this not a bigger story?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I can't handle all the gadgets on modern washers and think it's foolish to rely on so many electronics in cars/trucks. F* that, a simple bluetooth stereo and my phone is all I need and I'm good...

100 fucking percent

Trucks used to be reliable because they made them simple, and made for 20 years, constantly improving things.

Nowadays, trucks are built with "innovative features" that are just more shit to break.
And with 5 year product cycles, by the time a carmaker has worked all of the bugs out, they've moved on to an all-new models with all-new problems.

Case in point: The most reliable vehicles that hold the most value are old Toyota designs: Land Cruiser, Tacoma, 4Runner, Lexus-equivalents...these are all vehicles that have very long product cycles, and are literally designed to last 25 years.

Edit: Typo

Last edited:

DC-88

Reaction score
100 fucking percent

Trucks used to be reliable because they made them simple, and made for 20 years, constantly improving things.
Case in point: The mot reliable vehicles that hold the most value are old Toyota designs: Land Cruiser, Tacoma, 4Runner, Lexus-equivalents...these are all vehicles that have very long product cycles, and are literally designed to last 25 years.
The Tacoma game is absolutely crazy, similar to the high mileage diesel sales. Not enough truck for me to ever have, but my youngest is on his way right now to pick up a perfect low mileage 1 owner clean title 07' crew v6 4x4 for $17 ,300 , and put his 2011 longbed reliable/well maintained but a little dinged up crew V6 2wd on craigslist with 138,000 miles for $15,500 and legit buyers are stacked up for when he gets back . My other kid recently bought a clean 2016 v6 4x4 leather interior Colorado for $23,000 with only 16k miles and all the modern conveniences I'd need but the difference in value between the same vehicles with high miles is huge.

grumpy88

Reaction score
What I want to know is where the hell are you buying your 2x4’s? I’m paying $2.59.
Maybe that was the marked up price to the consumer
This single Mom down the street just bought a Dodge gasser to pull a small travel trailer, 1/2 ton fully loaded . . . good looking truck.
I'm not a Dodge guy, but it's nice.
She said she's paying $1,200.00 a month for 7 years. Quick Math = that's a $100,800.00 Dodge 1/2 Ton !
No wonder she's a Single Mom ! :rolleyes:
Hand thats why people hate car sales man !

wash11

Reaction score
7.3 trucks hold their value quite well. Why not rebuild the engine in yours? That would be the most cost effective option.

Lemme know if you need help with this.
That's the direction I'm headed. Lots of new parts on the truck so I know what I'm starting with. Luckily, I only paid $5500 for it back when prices were reasonable. Add that I've put a rough 100k miles on it since then- it owes me nothing.
Turn-key Jasper with quality install is @$11000.
Quality rebuild on what I have from a reputable shop that specializes in 7.3's is @$9000.
Either option is less than a down payment on something new, if I was a guy looking to strap on a payment.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
It's me. I'm "nobody". It appears that since I wasn't affected by it when not spending money, I wasn't clicking on those posts. But, now that I need a few things- I'll get my 5 minutes of whining like a lil' bitch in. 😁
You are a hero on here IMO. Old west, dust and hard work.
Time to raise the the price of good beef. I really wish I was closer. Water is worth more than gold sometimes. Stay up on that.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That's the direction I'm headed. Lots of new parts on the truck so I know what I'm starting with. Luckily, I only paid $5500 for it back when prices were reasonable. Add that I've put a rough 100k miles on it since then- it owes me nothing.
Quality rebuild on what I have from a reputable shop that specializes in 7.3's is @$9000.
Either option is less than a down payment on something new, if I was a guy looking to strap on a payment.

LS swap the thing for $2k and move on with life lol.

I can’t see putting $9k into a truck that is basically worth nothing as is, but that is just me.

Better off selling it and buying a newer one with lower miles for $15k in my mind.

wash11

Reaction score

I can’t see putting $9k into a truck that is basically worth nothing as is, but that is just me.

Better off selling it and buying a newer one with lower miles for $15k in my mind.

I just can’t quit the 90’s pimp red interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wash11

Reaction score
You are a hero on here IMO. Old west, dust and hard work.
Time to raise the the price of good beef. I really wish I was closer. Water is worth more than gold sometimes. Stay up on that.

Been called a lot of things, hero hasn’t been one of them![emoji23]

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Maybe he should just buy a use half ton! I'm sure that would work awesome as a Real work truck! 😁

The great part about the Jasper is that they come with a Great warranty. And, anyone, anywhere will honor that warranty, cause they will also pay the R&R labor!

Makes it well worth the few extra bucks.

👍

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Maybe he should just buy a use half ton! I'm sure that would work awesome as a Real work truck! 😁

The great part about the Jasper is that they come with a Great warranty. And, anyone, anywhere will honor that warranty, cause they will also pay the R&R labor!

Makes it well worth the few extra bucks.

👍
And with the 7.3 its a complete engine, not just a long block. Injectors and everything included

Your ad here

Reaction score
Are you running the stock intake on the truck? If yes, look up the 6637 filter mod and replace the orange rubber boot between the intake and turbo with a boot from Riffraff diesel.

boatnam2

Reaction score
The only reason there are 70 and 80K trucks is people are buying them. If they weren't, then the price would go down. Simple supply and demand.
Exactly! And also why there is no zero interest rate deals on the big trucks. Normally you walk into a ford store and they want to give the stuff away, now they are all cocky saying things like this is the best truck built and why we get full sticker for them.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I got attitude from 2 dealership yesterday. Third one willing to deal. Offered me 3k more than Carmax for my trade which is 2k less than I paid for it before tax and license. Just been debating 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. If gas hits 5$ cause of biden the 1/2 ton will be 75$ less per river trip.

wash11

Reaction score
Are you running the stock intake on the truck? If yes, look up the 6637 filter mod and replace the orange rubber boot between the intake and turbo with a boot from Riffraff diesel.

Stock everything, right down to the paper Motorcraft air filter.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I got attitude from 2 dealership yesterday. Third one willing to deal. Offered me 3k more than Carmax for my trade which is 2k less than I paid for it before tax and license. Just been debating 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. If gas hits 5$ cause of biden the 1/2 ton will be 75$ less per river trip.

what was the third dealer?

boatnam2

Reaction score
what was the third dealer?
yep!

Your ad here

Reaction score
Stock everything, right down to the paper Motorcraft air filter.

Look into these 2 items. The silent killer of the 7.3s are the factory air boxes on both the OBS and superduty trucks. The clips or screws break and can't make a good seal and let dirt through dusting the engine. The orange boot on the OBS trucks tear at the turbo inlet.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

Ya and dont get the red ones because they're actually pink. Ask me how I know ;)

Good quality boots tho

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
The company I work for is in over 20 states...minimum wage is going to $15 and above everywhere.

Looks like higher rate increases are coming in January. We can’t keep up with all of them, it’s nuts.

wash11

Reaction score
Put a 12 valve cummins in it like Ford should have and be done with it.
My buddy just went through this swap. 5 years ago, didn't seem to be an issue to find the parts needed- now it seems to be pretty tough to source the goods. He's one of the most talented fabricators I know and the project just about kicked his ass along with draining his wallet. It's a really cool thought as I'm a big Cummins fan but my life really requires turn key stuff these days. It's my daily so having it down for 3-4 weeks on the rebuild is gonna hurt. I've seen enough projects go sideways to know that it's not for me.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Here is a Dodge Cummins 4x4 with 11k miles I saw. View attachment 955616

You can buy a tradesman from Bluebonnet in Texas less than that brand new...likely shipped to you. They are the highest volume dealer in the state.

On the nicer ones they don't deal as well. Anderson in Lake Havasu beat them on my Mega Cab big time...they just never have much inventory.

DWC

Reaction score
I’m hoping that it’s an “if”. Looking for a commuter vehicle soon figuring that gas will only go up. Even if oil doesn’t the taxes aren’t coming down.

bonesfab

Reaction score
My buddy just went through this swap. 5 years ago, didn't seem to be an issue to find the parts needed- now it seems to be pretty tough to source the goods. He's one of the most talented fabricators I know and the project just about kicked his ass along with draining his wallet. It's a really cool thought as I'm a big Cummins fan but my life really requires turn key stuff these days. It's my daily so having it down for 3-4 weeks on the rebuild is gonna hurt. I've seen enough projects go sideways to know that it's not for me.
Chicken?!! 😆

bonesfab

Reaction score
Bingo. So you know it’s a bit over the top.

Been there done it on my K30. Not cheap but i love it and it is something different. And I did all the labor myself.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
The reason trucks are 75k is because they are optioned like a luxury car. Heated/cooled seats, 12”+ screens, leather, etc. If you just need a truck, pretty much any base model work truck (if you can find one with a diesel) will have power everything, and all of the options that came standard on a Silverado or XLT trim 20 years ago. I wanted a truck, and my Ram Tradesman has every creature comfort I could need, for mid 40s OTD.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I’m hoping that it’s an “if”. Looking for a commuter vehicle soon figuring that gas will only go up. Even if oil doesn’t the taxes aren’t coming down.
I have never owned a car. Don't fit in them comfortably and don't travel for work. I think the furthest job I did this year was 15 miles away. Just recall last time it hit 5$ and I was driving a 89 3500 454 Dually back then that got 5-7 mpg.

• Wow
Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
I have never owned a car. Don't fit in them comfortably and don't travel for work. I think the furthest job I did this year was 15 miles away. Just recall last time it hit 5$ and I was driving a 89 3500 454 Dually back then that got 5-7 mpg.
I went from a Jeep to a GT500 right as it was climbing. Driving into LA pretty much everyday. Didn’t drive by many gas stations. Left leg was a little bigger then.

wash11

Reaction score

Went with the Jasper and happy with everything except the empty wallet. Smooth idle, no more smoke and easily 40% more power than I had before. Spent a bit more than planned as it needed motor mounts, AC condenser, front axle seals and brakes too but happy with the program and warranty. No pics since it's nothing flashy.