WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prime Rib

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I want to do a prime rib for Christmas but I have never touched one so I need some help. BBQ or smoker, where to buy and how big (4 people), marinades rubs or plain, recipes and directions, Thanks guys

Cajun

Reaction score
Take a serious consideration into the preheat oven and shut off method. I just did a 4.56# pork loin with a mustard and spice rub, and I will NEVER go back to any other method.

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
Take a serious consideration into the preheat oven and shut off method. I just did a 4.56# pork loin with a mustard and spice rub, and I will NEVER go back to any other method.
I have heard of this and will be the way i do my first Prime Rib.

Cajun

Reaction score
4 people, 10 pound slab, kosher salt, pepper, garlic. Go to town.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I am doing a huge prime rib on the trager for xmas also. smoking most of the time and them finishing off with the grill. Nice and slow and i havent decided on seasoning yet.

dave29

Reaction score
Can someone post the preheat and shut off method??
Thanks

dave29

Reaction score
Never mind. I searched and found the recipe. Going to cook a prime rib for Christmas.
Happy holidays
dave29

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Did the shut off method last year, turned out awesome.:thumbsup
we bought a 9Lb from costco already seasoned...made it so simple and tasty.

Figure on a pound per person but go bigger because you will want leftovers:D
Picture001.jpg

Picture005.jpg

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score

Picture001.jpg

Picture005.jpg

dayum that looks good :thumbsup:thumbsup

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190765843946...946&_rdc=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JETSKI-STORA...d04775&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190649028759
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOAT-TRA...089d56&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-TRIM-TAB...01c609&vxp=mtr

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :champagne

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

Yes!!!! My grandmother did this for years. Was awesome. I'll try and get the recipe from my mom. I know the prime rib she used to get was huge though. Fed about a dozen people.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

Picture001.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Fucking made my mouth water. :thumbsup

theKID

Reaction score
Here's one I tried on the traeger about a year ago.
byzy6a8y.jpg

aru5aqaq.jpg

5a7upyqu.jpg

rvrmom

Reaction score
can someone post up the shut off deal. I tried it last year and WOW did come out horrible. I like my meat rare. But shit a good veterinarian would have had that roast walkin in a 1/2 hour. I'm going to Staters again this year and get another prime rib. But I'm having a back up plan LOL

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
Prime Rib Recipe
This one has been circulated here several times. I have used this recipe no less than a half dozen times and it comes out perfect each meal. Enjoy!

This recipe is for a standing rib roast/ribeye roast (PRIME grade preferred). I like to pull the roast out of the refrigerator about 2-3 hours before cooking to allow for coming up to room temp. I will usually cross-score the fast side, coat in olive oil and then coat on every surface imaginable, a mixture of Montreal steak seasoning, seasoned pepper, ?fresh? rosemary & thyme, and Herbs de Provence (garlic don?t hurt non either). Place roast on a roasting pan (fat side up) and place a meat/beef thermometer into the dead center of the roast and position so that you can clearly see through the glass door of your oven without opening the oven door. I also suggest having an oven rack thermometer in the oven to ensure temperature accuracy of your oven.

This is the part that is hard to understand how it works, but it does.

1. Put the roast in the oven preheated to 375. Cook for 1 hour and turn off oven, and DO NOT open the oven EVER (The roast must be in for at least 2 hours and up to 5 hours this way with the oven off)

2. One hour before you want to eat turn oven back on at 300 for 45 minutes total which includes the ?preheat? time. Then take the roast out of oven after the 45 minutes and let it rest for 15 minutes ?tented? with aluminum foil before carving and it will be perfectly medium rare no matter what size roast you have. I have done 20+ prime ribs this way from 2 pounders up to a 26-pound monster. A good guide to double check things is the internal meat thermometer temperature that should read pretty darn close to 125-130 just before taking out of the oven. The internal temp will rise almost another 10 degrees while resting for the last 15 minutes out of the oven before carving & serving.

3. If you have someone that does not like a perfectly done prime rib just put their piece into the micro for a minute to get rid of the pink for them.

rvrmom

Reaction score
Thanks!!! My mom's recipe is different.When I mean different is diff temps. But I know the key is NOT to open the oven. I was so pissed last year when I pulled the prime rib outta the oven and cut into it and it was terrible. I'll post pics cuz i'm hell bent on getting this right LOL

BACK2BIGRIVER

Reaction score
I am doing a huge prime rib on the trager for xmas also. smoking most of the time and them finishing off with the grill. Nice and slow and i havent decided on seasoning yet.

I want you to try something new this year and it will be the best Rib Roast you have ever cook.Insert a thermometer and set the Traeger on high when it gets 450* put the rib roast on for 40 minutes then back it down to 250* and cook until the the IT is 135* don't open the lid. It will crisp the outside an have the smoke flavor that you are looking for. Let it rest for 20 and enjoy.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The oven method is super easy, and comes out perfect every time :thumbsup

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I want you to try something new this year and it will be the best Rib Roast you have ever cook.Insert a thermometer and set the Traeger on high when it gets 450* put the rib roast on for 40 minutes then back it down to 250* and cook until the the IT is 135* don't open the lid. It will crisp the outside an have the smoke flavor that you are looking for. Let it rest for 20 and enjoy.

Thanks. I believe in that IT ;)

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
Ok so I am trying to decide if I want to cook on traeger or oven method... I have a 19 lb prime rib I have my meat market dry aging for me. Does that effect cook times since some of the moisture is aged out?

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Can't get much better than Lawry's recipe, turns out awesome. I also like their whipped creamed horse radish and creamed corn. Here is a link to a few of their recipes.

http://www.lawrysonline.com/lawrys-primerib/chicago/all-recipes

Lawry's Roasted Prime Ribs of Beef
1 (4-rib) standing rib roast
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1 bag (5 lb.) rock salt
Sprinkle fatty cap of roast with Seasoned Salt. In a heavy roasting pan, spread rock salt evenly over bottom.; place wire roasting rack on top of salt. Place the roast on rack, fatty side up. Make sure no salt actually touches the beef. Insert meat thermometer in thickest part of meat, making sure it does not touch bone. Roast in preheated 350-degree oven until thermometer registers 130-degrees F. for rare, 140 F. for medium, or approximately 20 to 25 minutes per pound. Remove from oven and let stand 20 minutes before carving. Using a sharp knife, slice meat across the grain for serving. Discard rock salt.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
If desired, use an instant read thermometer to test internal temperature periodically; do not leave this type of thermometer in the roast.

theKID

Reaction score
Can't get much better than Lawry's recipe, turns out awesome. I also like their whipped creamed horse radish and creamed corn. Here is a link to a few of their recipes.

http://www.lawrysonline.com/lawrys-primerib/chicago/all-recipes

Lawry's Roasted Prime Ribs of Beef
1 (4-rib) standing rib roast
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1 bag (5 lb.) rock salt
Sprinkle fatty cap of roast with Seasoned Salt. In a heavy roasting pan, spread rock salt evenly over bottom.; place wire roasting rack on top of salt. Place the roast on rack, fatty side up. Make sure no salt actually touches the beef. Insert meat thermometer in thickest part of meat, making sure it does not touch bone. Roast in preheated 350-degree oven until thermometer registers 130-degrees F. for rare, 140 F. for medium, or approximately 20 to 25 minutes per pound. Remove from oven and let stand 20 minutes before carving. Using a sharp knife, slice meat across the grain for serving. Discard rock salt.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
If desired, use an instant read thermometer to test internal temperature periodically; do not leave this type of thermometer in the roast.

Nothing beats Lawry's. My mom makes their creamed corn for all holidays. My wife and I had our wedding at Lawry's in Beverly Hills.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I cook mine per the Cook's Illustrated recipe... low and slow (225*) until the internal temp is 120*. Buy a good digital meat thermometer.

I use a wet rub with mustard, olive oil, horse radish, garlic, and rosemarry. But Salt and pepper or steak seasoning works just as well.

Last edited:

FASTJTBT144

Reaction score
I want to do a prime rib for Christmas but I have never touched one so I need some help. BBQ or smoker, where to buy and how big (4 people), marinades rubs or plain, recipes and directions, Thanks guys
If you have a weber bbq use the with the coals being on each sid not the whole grill. What I do is insert Pepper corns thru out the meat and a lite dusting of garlic
powder put in a tin pan then cake the whole prime rib in rock salt. Cook for 13 mins per pound at 275-300 and dont worry the salt dosent tranfer to the meat check with
meat thermometer for wellness towards the end. This is a no brainer turns out great evertime.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Need some ideas for a crust or marinade. Ckecked out Food Net Work but hoping for an RDP idea.

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
Check amazingribs.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I dry rubbed my with the butchers spice from that temecula spice store. Let it season for two days in the fridge. Been on the grill at 300 since 1130. Was cooking a little fast according to my thermostat so turned it down to 225 to slow it down a bit. Eating around 5. Its at 180 right now. Hoping it is going to come out good. 20lbs ;)

Can i mess it up by turning the temp down so much? Trager says cook at 300

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
By the way....i am taking it off at 140degrees internal

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
HELP! 911 911....lol

Its up to 131 now. Turned the heat down to 180.

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
Worst case wrap in foil then in a towel and toss in ice chest until your ready!

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
Worst case wrap in foil then in a towel and toss in ice chest until your ready!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
It turned out great. Almost 20lbs eaten up and only scraps left ;)

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
photo.jpg

Can't wait to eat this but even more excited about the sandwiches for leftovers.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Anyone try the $15 a lb top shelf Prime from Costco? Little pricey but debating getting a third to try it out. Have 1 smaller going on the rotisserie and 1 12 lb for the oven.

Ultra28

Reaction score
Anyone try the $15 a lb top shelf Prime from Costco? Little pricey but debating getting a third to try it out. Have 1 smaller going on the rotisserie and 1 12 lb for the oven.

I picked up a 10lb one from Costco yesterday. I've never tried it before. Going to do the "leave in the oven method" posted earlier in the thread.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I picked up a 10lb one from Costco yesterday. I've never tried it before. Going to do the "leave in the oven method" posted earlier in the thread.

Doing the same method with the 12 lb. its only the $7 a lb Costco cut though.

Did a 14 lb last year same method and no one touched the rottisserie 1.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
My moms cooking one tomorrow. My grandmother used to do it every Christmas but since she passed away a few years ago mom took over. Can't wait.

DRIVE BYE

Reaction score
I'm Starting mine right now, wish me luck!:thumbsup

Forensic

No Title
Reaction score
All this rib roast.. :)

doing a 10lber tomorrow. Brought my smoker to a cabin in idyllwild. I forgot my wireless thermometer so it should be fun. It's averaged 40 and below. ;)

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I bought a 10 pounder yesterday to make sometime after the 1st.

DRIVE BYE

Reaction score
Ok. I did 375 degrees. One hour on three hours off then 45 mins on for a 5lb. prime. It was great, you could cut it with your fork. but just a little over done for me. And I'm on Propane here. Next Time i will back it off just a bit.. Merry Christmas Everyoneand thanks for all of your help!

Old Man Havasu

Reaction score
Everyone loved my prime rib but me. Just not a fan of the texture of the meat.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Ended up cooking 4 of them. 27.5 lbs Im good till next year on the prime rib. 1 smoked 1 oven shut off method 1 infared Big easy grill 1 rotissirie set it and forget it showtime deal. All 4 of my German Shephards ate good and will tomorrow with the all the fatty scrap pieces and meat covered bones.

Slow What

Reaction score
733.jpg

smoked one yesterday...we also deep fried a turkey :D