WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Project StressEliminator Restomod-23 Daytona

Duramax

Reaction score
Got all of the oil from the power steering and jackplate pump reservoirs cleaned up that ended up drooling on the floor in the rear storage area, and somehow ended up on my Seadek flooring next to the captain’s seat🤬

I used some spray degreaser and it turned purple when it sat on the oil, then scrubbed and wiped it off.

Every square inch of the cabin got vacuumed, top, sides and floor.

Hopefully I can get some interior put back in tomorrow night. Then I won’t be sending grinding and welding sparks into any of it.
What a journey! I can't wait for your opinion on how it runs after you get it back in the water. It's killing me!

ChrisV

Reaction score
May I ask why you used p-14 filler instead of duraglas or other fairing items?

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
May I ask why you used p-14 filler instead of duraglas or other fairing items?

The honest answer is because that’s what I was taught to use by my friend Roger, that taught me the basics on fiberglass.

When you dig a little deeper, the P-14 is more dense with less shrinkage than Duraglas, and fairs out nicely, but has a short working time.

I also wanted to stick with a polyester based material for compatibility with the original boat material. The fact that P-14 is approved for the leading edge of aircraft wings (so I was told) gives you an idea of how hard the material is when cured.

Here’s a link to the technical data sheet on it:

P-14 technical data sheet

I’m very pleased with how it worked for shaping inside and outside corners, as well as filling low spots.

Hopefully I answered your question adequately.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
It’s snowing here right now, and it’s supposed to be snowing Saturday as well, and Sunday blowing hard. I’m pretty skeptical about running it this weekend, but am marching on to try to have it ready for Sunday.

My friend Remington came up last night and helped me get some dust off of and out of the boat, and we got the rearseat and hatch installed, as well as Jackplate and power steering reservoirs topped off. Jackplate went up and down just fine, but the power steering needs bleeding yet. That’s tomorrow’s job, and side panels and front seats need to be mounted as well.

lenmann

Reaction score
I am sitting here on the left coast watching from afar; excited, nervous, anxious with anticipation about how this grand experiment in hydro-dynamic re-engineering is going to perform.

I can only guess how you must be feeling...

May the clouds depart, the sun shine, and the snow melt so you can get this thing wet soon.

ChrisV

Reaction score
The honest answer is because that’s what I was taught to use by my friend Roger, that taught me the basics on fiberglass.

When you dig a little deeper, the P-14 is more dense with less shrinkage than Duraglas, and fairs out nicely, but has a short working time.

I also wanted to stick with a polyester based material for compatibility with the original boat material. The fact that P-14 is approved for the leading edge of aircraft wings (so I was told) gives you an idea of how hard the material is when cured.

Here’s a link to the technical data sheet on it:

P-14 technical data sheet

I’m very pleased with how it worked for shaping inside and outside corners, as well as filling low spots.

Hopefully I answered your question adequately.

Thank you! I just ordered some. Can't wait to try it. Great pricing too.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I am sitting here on the left coast watching from afar; excited, nervous, anxious with anticipation about how this grand experiment in hydro-dynamic re-engineering is going to perform.

I can only guess how you must be feeling...

May the clouds depart, the sun shine, and the snow melt so you can get this thing wet soon.

That pretty much sums it up, Lenmann. You hit it right on the head.

I'm pushing to have the boat runnable and the trailer trailerable (not necessarily finished) to see if we can run on Sunday. The Army Corps of Engineers have the water 2' lower than normal, so the launches I would normally use are not usable right now. The 35º water temp isn't too inviting in case something goes wrong, either. I'll need a chase boat just in case something stupid happens.

It'll all come together, we always figure it out. Maybe not in our desired schedule, but it's coming...

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
While working on fender mounts tonight, my buddy Nick texts me and says he’ll be at the shop at 7:30. He gets there and comes in the shop grinning from ear to ear, and says I gotta go outside and check something out, I might like it.

Check out what he dragged home!

008E1944-C2FD-4BC2-BA43-6DCF11D5B8B2.jpeg

It’s an ‘87 Eliminator 23 Daytona, but a CA built boat. Mine is a WI built boat. I’ve never seen a WI built boat with a deck like Nick’s. It’s got more freeboard and has a significantly wider cockpit than mine.

And then there were two...

61A9638B-2ECD-41D5-B495-926CB75C0A93.jpeg

original tunnel

FD4A8638-4934-47FD-86E0-5E3B3D1331C3.jpeg

My modded tunnel

BB92490F-A630-4CBD-A8E2-17ED1C864F97.jpeg

Interior view side by side

44001A5D-6736-4FB6-9FDA-866715033A57.jpeg

Nick’s “CA deck”

421859F7-4500-46D5-89F6-758C78D51D04.jpeg

My “WI deck”

20CDC2CB-054F-4F63-B932-C1D62BDAB6A9.jpeg

I don’t think Nick is going to dive in anywhere near as deep as I have, but hopefully he’s able to use some of the ideas I’ve implemented into mine for his. He’s probably putting a 400R on, so we’ll have real-life comparison of the two bottoms. The only difference we found is his has a very small notched transom, like about 3”.

Tomorrow is more fender work. It’s 40° and raining today, blowing and 40’s tomorrow.

I’ve decided to make some fuel tank mounts for the front of each fuel tank. I only have the rears bolted and made the tanks so I could slide them forward if needed, and it definitely is not needed, so I can delete that option. There’s no evidence of either of them moving after 50 hours of run time, but it’s not right, so it’s time to make it right.

The side panels are such a pain to install and remove, so I’d like this to be the last time. I really don’t want to be working on this during boating season ever again other than normal maintenance.

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
While working on fender mounts tonight, my buddy Nick texts me and says he’ll be at the shop at 7:30. He gets there and comes in the shop grinning from ear to ear, and says I gotta go outside and check something out, I might like it.

View attachment 986652
It’s an ‘87 Eliminator 23 Daytona, but a CA built boat. Mine is a WI built boat. I’ve never seen a WI built boat with a deck like Nick’s. It’s got more freeboard and has a significantly wider cockpit than mine.

View attachment 986653

original tunnel

View attachment 986654

My modded tunnel

View attachment 986655

View attachment 986657

Nick’s “CA deck”

View attachment 986656

My “WI deck”

View attachment 986658

I don’t think Nick is going to dive in anywhere near as deep as I have, but hopefully he’s able to use some of the ideas I’ve implemented into mine for his. He’s probably putting a 400R on, so we’ll have real-life comparison of the two bottoms. The only difference we found is his has a very small notched transom, like about 3”.

Tomorrow is more fender work. It’s 40° and raining today, blowing and 40’s tomorrow.

I’ve decided to make some fuel tank mounts for the front of each fuel tank. I only have the rears bolted and made the tanks so I could slide them forward if needed, and it definitely is not needed, so I can delete that option. There’s no evidence of either of them moving after 50 hours of run time, but it’s not right, so it’s time to make it right.

The side panels are such a pain to install and remove, so I’d like this to be the last time. I really don’t want to be working on this during boating season ever again other than normal maintenance.
Any chance changing the cg a little with the tanks will be beneficial with the changes to the bottom?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I was thinking the same. Wouldn't the increased surface area add lift?

The boat looks awesome.

I cant believe you have another one to work on lol.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Any chance changing the cg a little with the tanks will be beneficial with the changes to the bottom?

I was thinking the same. Wouldn't the increased surface area add lift?

If you go back and look at the pictures in post #329, you'll see the tanks are as far back as practical. Their centers are also behind intended CG by just a couple of inches, and you really don't want to do much more than what I've got going on. At least I'm assuming you meant move them back. They're back 7" and down 5" from stock.

I definitely don't want to go forward with them, that's why I'm pinning them where they are.

The last few nights has been scheming and plotting fender brackets for the new stainless fenders and steps with diamond plate next to them. Last evening I got all of the steel cut, angles and all, deburred it inside and out, and cleaned up the mess.

Tonight is cutting the light holes in the steel on the mill for the LED reverse lights I'm installing. Much easier in the mill while it's small pieces than having to do it on the trailer by hand. Trying to work smarter, not harder...

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Yea i was actually thinking of possible need for moving forward. As you added the lifting strakes inside the pods, was thinking possibly able to move a little weight forward now for a flatter set if it ends up riding a little ass heavy now.
My thought was just that all you did may give just that little extra lift on the nose, that may be able to bring flatter at a full set. Also with my learning curve on my new to me boat I’ve found a little weight in the bow has actually helped tremendously, even a small short day ice chest up front makes a slight difference in the set.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Well, I’ve driven and set up enough newer cats to know where CG likes to be, so I’m going off of experience on this one.

The surfaces I’ve added are more for midrange hop, and this thing is WAY off on tunnel compression to worry about nose lift. It’ll never get there without angling the top of the tunnel, or as @Tunnelfun pointed out, adding steps/angling the running surface. Not happening. I’m ready to be done.

If it runs triple digits on one engine, I’m happy. Remember, this boat ran 88 with twin 200 Johnsons. We’ve already outshined that. Now I’m looking for manners.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Set up the mill with a 2-1/2” holesaw and bored holes to match the drawing for the light openings

D88D74AB-04FB-457F-9D3A-34CA95BEF55C.jpeg

Took a roughing mill and connected the holes

4601F6F6-2792-4C45-871F-F61CA024DF26.jpeg

We now have an oval

335FF5BF-AC2D-412C-B8A9-083B8AD33AD6.jpeg

Done. Clear LED’s will be reverse lights shining out on a 45° angle. I’m sick of backing up my driveway in the dark

I’ve got matching reds to replace turn/tails

Ambers will be out near the edge so I can see the edge of the fenders going down the road at night. But not hanging out where they’ll get clipped off.

060F8888-0D6C-41F0-900C-5A9D897CE226.jpeg

Here’s what they looked like lit up when I got them.

79451EA7-A70F-45B9-B1F2-805AE04F53E5.jpeg

Going to be welding all of these parts onto the trailer over the next few days. Once fenders are mounted and we have lights, we’re going to the water...stay tuned!

J.P.

Reaction score
HydroSkreamin

I know your goal is to eliminate any hop and I hope it is so,...looking at it from the front with the new strakes looks like an air packing mofo. Gret job!

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
HydroSkreamin

I know your goal is to eliminate any hop and I hope it is so,...looking at it from the front with the new strakes looks like an air packing mofo. Gret job!

JP

Thanks for the kind words. You’re correct on my focus on minimizing hop, but I did take tunnel compression into account when I added the spray rails, and that’s why I started them behind the wing instead of in front of it.

With the minimal tunnel roof angle of attack, I need all of the tunnel compression I can get!

Last edited:

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Well, I’ve been getting my ass kicked a little bit here the last couple of days.

My little porta-band jammed and my Mickey Mouse calibrated zip-tie holding the trigger wouldn’t slide where I wanted it to, so as I’m reaching for the cord to unplug it, I’m thinking to myself “this isn’t likely to end well...”, as I watched a flash release the magic genie from its spell inside my armature 🙄. This was my fault for not putting a better switch on it like I’ve been meaning to. I’ll probably get another one and put my machined parts on it. I’m still on my first blade, and I bought a bunch of Milwaukee blades for it right when I got it.

1DE2CB48-CC9D-4A77-830D-A4FB80405877.jpeg

Of course I was 3 cuts in when it let go, so I made a run for cutoff wheels and finished what I had set out to do.

Got all of the rectangular tubing welded yesterday, and machined the actual fender mount plates as well, but had forgotten the diagonally cut tubing to weld them to at the shop, so I welded them together today and welded them to the rectangular tubing and tacked one on to check fit.

91376362-E6C4-4DC3-B0D1-2F0D740D5BB9.jpeg

983EA6DA-6E95-4463-86A3-F00D78CCAA75.jpeg

I was happy with both my design and the fit to the fender.

Unfortunately, I didn’t cut enough off of the rear pieces, and the fender mount sticks out past the skirt, so I’m going to cut the tacks and cut them properly so everything fits and looks like I want it to.

My buddy Remington came up and helped for the day, cleaning the previous sealer from dock lights and their fasteners, and we reinstalled them with new sealant.

11A41420-7E41-4670-8EA0-7D7BB4EB6C25.jpeg

I reshaped the bilge plug holes back to round, as they got partially filled in when we were working on the transom. Remington resealed them with epoxy, and I’ll reattach them so the StressEliminator can stay afloat again.

Going to finish the fender mounts and get this thing to the water this week. It’s time to get my boat, tools and materials out of the shop and get it cleaned up for the next owner...

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
It's like Jesus arising on Easter morning!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Congrats on seeing the finish line, that was a crap ton of hard work. Enjoy the boating season!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Wooohooooo!!!!!! I am excited to here how it does on the water.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
My buddy John stopped by and helped me with my fender project for the evening. He prepped the driver’s side while I was welding on the passenger side.

9CAAB329-23A2-4619-A617-ACF25D9F99C0.jpeg

I’m pleased with the as-delivered finish on the stainless fenders.

947F3B5B-90B3-4DBD-8372-0805DEDBE283.jpeg

F7CAA8E1-D99C-4800-A6BD-D1A7D6DCDAE8.jpeg

BD7ED4C4-D93A-4C6C-8928-39ADA239A713.jpeg

9A766446-E6B4-4303-B0D3-FFBF78C80970.jpeg

E26ABBF7-E3BE-49CE-86F1-A8BEB50C63FF.jpeg

9A766446-E6B4-4303-B0D3-FFBF78C80970.jpeg

27F4C9E7-0C56-4EDC-ABAF-2FB2A7F1D9FF.jpeg

I’m very pleased with the results!

Time to wire up the lights, make some inner fenders, weigh the boat and go to the water.

We’re going to have rain around here for the next few days, so Saturday or Sunday we’ll get to the water and see how she runs.

Xring01

Reaction score
My buddy John stopped by and helped me with my fender project for the evening. He prepped the driver’s side while I was welding on the passenger side.

View attachment 989934

I’m pleased with the as-delivered finish on the stainless fenders.

View attachment 989933

View attachment 989935

View attachment 989936

View attachment 989937

View attachment 989938
View attachment 989937

View attachment 989939

I’m very pleased with the results!

Time to wire up the lights, make some inner fenders, weigh the boat and go to the water.

We’re going to have rain around here for the next few days, so Saturday or Sunday we’ll get to the water and see how she runs.
I thought you where water testing this week...
why are you pushing till next week..
Rain? Its a boat, its supposed to get wet?
You really let me down...I had your dedication level at a solid 10... been waiting for this day forever... and a few sprinkles stop the progress. So your dedication level rating has dropped to an 8 over this transgression.

If your test by sunday and post the results, I will raise your Dedication level back up, but only to A 9.5, thats cause you got cold feet.

You can do this... its just rain.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
All I can say is WOW! What an amazing job you have been doing. You have a ton of talent and patience.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I thought you where water testing this week...
why are you pushing till next week..
Rain? Its a boat, its supposed to get wet?
You really let me down...I had your dedication level at a solid 10... been waiting for this day forever... and a few sprinkles stop the progress. So your dedication level rating has dropped to an 8 over this transgression.

If your test by sunday and post the results, I will raise your Dedication level back up, but only to A 9.5, thats cause you got cold feet.

You can do this... its just rain.

Pretty sure you're joking about this, but just to give you an idea of how serious I treat my testing, and especially spring and fall boating, you don't last very long in the water around here this time of year. Just ask these guys...

https://www.wbay.com/2021/04/01/bod... Monday that the,on Lake Winnebago that night.

Oh, yeah, you can't, they're dead. They just went out for a little canoe ride, phoned in to 911, and were never heard from or seen again until pulled from the very cold water.

Currently:

LakeWinnebagoWaterTemp.JPG

I'm trained in water rescue, so I know how much my chances of survival diminish with these temperatures. It's downright dangerous to be on the water and go fast right now. Besides all of the potential garbage in the water to hit.

When I test, no matter the temp, I-
-Have a chase boat. Chase boat people generally don't want to go boating in the rain, nor do they want to expose their boats to the rain, nor do they like cold temps. Most people don't even have their boats out of storage yet.
-wear my tether (pretty self explanatory)
-wear my Lifeline (again, pretty self explanatory)
-file a float plan-I let more than just the chase boat know what's going on in case stuff really goes sideways and I need to call in the cavalry
-take good notes-it doesn't pay to go if I'm not learning as much as I can with each change
-check the water where I'm going to run multiple times each way for debris

This entire project is supposed to be a fun thing, and with my work being 65 miles from my house, and Hula's shop being 40 minutes from work, and 40 minutes from home, I'm not getting much sleep these days., so it's wearing on me. That's beginning to take the fun out of it.

I'm not going to do something stupid and rush getting to the water at this stage of the game and ruin something. Fenders and lights are necessary on the trailer to make the 40 mile trek back home without damaging all of the work I've done on this thing and to be legal.

No one, and I mean no one, is more disappointed in me about going for a ride in this thing. I've taken a deep breath, and realized that it'll be much more enjoyable and safer when I can do it to my standards. Nothing goes right for me when I rush stuff, so I'm sticking to my gut on this one.

The closing for HulaHut 2.0 is one week from today. That means I need to have 10 months worth of him allowing me to exist in his shop needing to get transported out of there, his things taken down and packed, and the entire place cleaned. My mind has a lot of other things on it at the moment than my toy, sorry for that.

Somewhere in here I need to make a new windshield as well. That'll be in a different location than the current one.

Xring01

Reaction score
Pretty sure you're joking about this, but just to give you an idea of how serious I treat my testing, and especially spring and fall boating, you don't last very long in the water around here this time of year. Just ask these guys...

https://www.wbay.com/2021/04/01/body-found-in-lake-winnebago-matches-description-of-one-missing-canoer-search-for-second-person-suspended/#:~:text=FOND DU LAC, Wis.,capsized canoe on Lake Winnebago.&text=Authorities said Monday that the,on Lake Winnebago that night.

Oh, yeah, you can't, they're dead. They just went out for a little canoe ride, phoned in to 911, and were never heard from or seen again until pulled from the very cold water.

Currently:

View attachment 989991

I'm trained in water rescue, so I know how much my chances of survival diminish with these temperatures. It's downright dangerous to be on the water and go fast right now. Besides all of the potential garbage in the water to hit.

-Have a chase boat. Chase boat people generally don't want to go boating in the rain, nor do they want to expose their boats to the rain, nor do they like cold temps. Most people don't even have their boats out of storage yet.
-file a float plan-I let more than just the chase boat know what's going on in case stuff really goes sideways and I need to call in the cavalry
-take good notes-it doesn't pay to go if I'm not learning as much as I can with each change

This entire project is supposed to be a fun thing, and with my work being 65 miles from my house, and Hula's shop being 40 minutes from work, and 40 minutes from home, I'm not getting much sleep these days., so it's wearing on me. That's beginning to take the fun out of it.

I'm not going to do something stupid and rush getting to the water at this stage of the game and ruin something. Fenders and lights are necessary on the trailer to make the 40 mile trek back home without damaging all of the work I've done on this thing and to be legal.

No one, and I mean no one, is more disappointed in me about going for a ride in this thing. I've taken a deep breath, and realized that it'll be much more enjoyable and safer when I can do it to my standards. Nothing goes right for me when I rush stuff, so I'm sticking to my gut on this one.

The closing for HulaHut 2.0 is one week from today. That means I need to have 10 months worth of him allowing me to exist in his shop needing to get transported out of there, his things taken down and packed, and the entire place cleaned. My mind has a lot of other things on it at the moment than my toy, sorry for that.

Somewhere in here I need to make a new windshield as well. That'll be in a different location than the current one.

Off Course I was joking.....
Been to WI many times... Waukesha specifically... I remember one time the high of the day was -12, and wind chill was in the - 30s...
Shit my rental car door was practically frozen shut... I thought I was going to need a pry bar to get the damn thing open...

As I have mentioned many times... I have learned alot from you and your journey, and I truly appreciate that you take the time to document all this and share it with us. Doing the work is one thing, but taking the time/effort that you take to document that work, share it with us, and take the time to answer all of our silly questions.. thats takes time... As we can see, you dont have much of it.. THANK YOU.

Again, I was joking...

But more importantly, I cant wait to see if you get the results you are aiming for, and if all this work was worth it.

Fonz69

Reaction score

https://www.wbay.com/2021/04/01/body-found-in-lake-winnebago-matches-description-of-one-missing-canoer-search-for-second-person-suspended/#:~:text=FOND DU LAC, Wis.,capsized canoe on Lake Winnebago.&text=Authorities said Monday that the,on Lake Winnebago that night.

Currently:

View attachment 989991

I can relate as after 3 years of building mine is ready for a maiden voyage but I live on the WI river and have seen way too many things float by this time of year to risk going for a spin, that and I would need a chase boat also which your right is tough this early on.
The recent warm weather makes it tempting but the water temp is still too cold, can’t imagine that the freezing water is easy on an all aluminum motor that I have a small fortune stuck into.
I hope you get to test soon but don’t worry your not the only one waiting on the frozen tundra to turn into summer!😎

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
5B9479F7-D97A-4327-90D5-C565BF3A3F62.jpeg

Brought the scales home from work and got total weight and CG figured out, with the help of my buddy Nick. We weighed his boat as he was getting it out of the shop tonight as well.

Dry weight on mine is 3368, which is about 150 lbs heavier than previously. I had figured about 130#, so I wasn’t terribly far off.

CG is within a half inch of where it was previously, so I’m happy with that.

Buttoning up tomorrow, cleaning shop Sunday. I need to get everything out and cleaned up by Wednesday.

We’ve got a low pressure weather system just hanging out and dumping rain every day. While it’s welcomed for reducing our fire danger and assisting with filling our lakes, it’s making it difficult to get to the water.

I’m going to keep my eye on the weather and look for an opportunity where we might be able to squeeze a run off. Otherwise Tuesday and Wednesday look good, I’ll do whatever necessary to go for a ride.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score

Currently:

View attachment 989991

Wow, Interesting to see how differently you have to going into the process up in your area. All valid reasons that I would not have even thought of. Reminds me of a friend living in the mountains in Colorado. Any tI’ve that he goes anywhere in the winter he is set up to be in his truck for a week if something goes wrong no matter what. Thanks for the post.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
1406595C-12D3-4597-9A8F-F27A89AEC0BF.jpeg

Decided to try to get on the water today between rainstorms. Nick and Remington both came to help me get buttoned up and to the water, hooking up batteries, bleeding steering, tightening last minute trailer stuff, and making sure the tires were properly inflated. My buddy Crash came yesterday on his birthday and helped me install interior, windshield, and rubrails.

I’d like to thank all them for their help, they’re great friends that are just as pumped as me on this project.

452E8F4A-D4C7-4423-B433-935F139506BB.jpeg

Put 10 gallons of 91 no-ethanol per side. Trailer pulls nice and we got the tail lights and turn signals hooked up and functional, but I’ll have to pull wires and switch to a flat-5 plug for the reverse lights to work.

4C13AD25-92F7-4F5F-A5FE-DE2F75CBA157.jpeg

Normally, the tires would be touching the water where the boat is in the picture above, and the water is up at least 6” from two weeks ago. It’s been really low and we didn’t get the snow this winter that was expected, so it seemed they (Army Corps of Engineers) overshot a bit when they let lake levels down last fall.

2A04B6DF-4F24-4FA2-A223-B758D9A5D6B0.jpeg

Just warming up the oil and making sure fuel was pumping. We had emptied the tanks to flip it and I wanted to make sure it was pulling from both tanks.

I like the lettering in my hatch. It’s really hard to put a boat name on the transom of an outboard boat.

2CF2C84C-4CE6-4DB1-9CCD-585AD7E20DAD.jpeg

It floats! That’s about all we learned today, because we got stuck in mud trying to get through that channel in the background. Plugged the telltale with mud, got it cleared after we got out.

Nick and Remington went on the bow and shoved off with the oar, and we couldn’t find deep enough water to pass, so we loaded the now grimy boat on the trailer and went back to the shop.

0E4DBD55-B219-4FAC-8DD2-D4837130E3CC.jpeg

46CD59F6-9992-48A1-9253-82EFC9D340C0.jpeg

What a mess! I spent more time cleaning and parked it. Just got it cleaned before it started raining too hard.

9E838741-4DBD-4D07-920C-18E53418C49F.jpeg

Somewhat clean again. One of the last pics I’ll be taking of the StressEliminator in the HulaHut. I sure appreciate the opportunity to use this shop. It’s a great place to work out of and a great location with super cool neighbors.

It’s been a long time coming, but it’s time to get out and take MissStressEliminator home.

Hula is on his way here, and we’re vacating the premises. I’m responsible to put it back to stock, so that’s my focus for the week.

I can’t thank Hula enough for his generosity and hospitality.

This week is going to be busy trying to get stuff wrapped up in the shop, but Tuesday and Wednesday have clear forecast, so we’ll see if we can’t launch somewhere else and get a ride in to see how this thing runs.

Attachments

• 2B49EC6D-B039-432D-9276-F7C39B579D9D.jpeg
    2B49EC6D-B039-432D-9276-F7C39B579D9D.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 56486B45-CAD1-4B38-9994-A177E440A12B.jpeg
    56486B45-CAD1-4B38-9994-A177E440A12B.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 108
  • 49306039-C1C0-4BF5-B796-4C10272CE46D.jpeg
    49306039-C1C0-4BF5-B796-4C10272CE46D.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 99
  • E74417CC-9AB8-4C0D-90ED-4F92445FCBC2.jpeg
    E74417CC-9AB8-4C0D-90ED-4F92445FCBC2.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 63992533-FB0D-46E3-9D7C-C7A5738DD003.jpeg
    63992533-FB0D-46E3-9D7C-C7A5738DD003.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 605100BA-0CF6-4537-93A6-2C75F850B00C.jpeg
    605100BA-0CF6-4537-93A6-2C75F850B00C.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 3FD60C2D-EDAD-4397-BE15-1D2CAACCAB18.jpeg
    3FD60C2D-EDAD-4397-BE15-1D2CAACCAB18.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 94

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I am excited every time I open this thread hoping today's the day. I'm sorry. The good news is there will be a tomorrow.

RichL

Reaction score
View attachment 991310

Decided to try to get on the water today between rainstorms. Nick and Remington both came to help me get buttoned up and to the water, hooking up batteries, bleeding steering, tightening last minute trailer stuff, and making sure the tires were properly inflated. My buddy Crash came yesterday on his birthday and helped me install interior, windshield, and rubrails.

I’d like to thank all them for their help, they’re great friends that are just as pumped as me on this project.

View attachment 991309

Put 10 gallons of 91 no-ethanol per side. Trailer pulls nice and we got the tail lights and turn signals hooked up and functional, but I’ll have to pull wires and switch to a flat-5 plug for the reverse lights to work.

View attachment 991311

Normally, the tires would be touching the water where the boat is in the picture above, and the water is up at least 6” from two weeks ago. It’s been really low and we didn’t get the snow this winter that was expected, so it seemed they (Army Corps of Engineers) overshot a bit when they let lake levels down last fall.

View attachment 991312

Just warming up the oil and making sure fuel was pumping. We had emptied the tanks to flip it and I wanted to make sure it was pulling from both tanks.

I like the lettering in my hatch. It’s really hard to put a boat name on the transom of an outboard boat.

View attachment 991315

It floats! That’s about all we learned today, because we got stuck in mud trying to get through that channel in the background. Plugged the telltale with mud, got it cleared after we got out.

Nick and Remington went on the bow and shoved off with the oar, and we couldn’t find deep enough water to pass, so we loaded the now grimy boat on the trailer and went back to the shop.

View attachment 991313

View attachment 991314

What a mess! I spent more time cleaning and parked it. Just got it cleaned before it started raining too hard.

View attachment 991316

Somewhat clean again. One of the last pics I’ll be taking of the StressEliminator in the HulaHut. I sure appreciate the opportunity to use this shop. It’s a great place to work out of and a great location with super cool neighbors.

It’s been a long time coming, but it’s time to get out and take MissStressEliminator home.

Hula is on his way here, and we’re vacating the premises. I’m responsible to put it back to stock, so that’s my focus for the week.

I can’t thank Hula enough for his generosity and hospitality.

This week is going to be busy trying to get stuff wrapped up in the shop, but Tuesday and Wednesday have clear forecast, so we’ll see if we can’t launch somewhere else and get a ride in to see how this thing runs.
Looking good. Sorry to hear about your water levels but FWIW we're dealing with the same thing here. The Corps. didn't bring ours back up to where it should have been so we're now down in the 5'-6' range. If we don't get a bunch of rain in the next month things are gonna get ugly at our summer playground.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I am excited every time I open this thread hoping today's the day. I'm sorry. The good news is there will be a tomorrow.

Looking good. Sorry to hear about your water levels but FWIW we're dealing with the same thing here. The Corps. didn't bring ours back up to where it should have been so we're now down in the 5'-6' range. If we don't get a bunch of rain in the next month things are gonna get ugly at our summer playground.

Thanks guys. I'm actually not as bummed as I thought I would be. I guess I just kind of take it as a sign it's just not supposed to happen that day.

Looks like tomorrow the sun is going to be around, don't know about the winds yet. We'll give it another shot this week.

Time has just run out and I've got bigger fish to fry at the moment. We'll get there...

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
While the maiden voyage didn't get to showcase the full fruits of your labor seeing a picture of it floating is outstanding considering the amount of work you and your great friends have accomplished. Staying tune and thankful for taking us along on the journey.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
My friend Brian stopped by tonight and finished sanding and buffing the blend to the cap job. I think it came out fantastic!

92086E67-5E3C-4BE3-9B7F-5A5BC15C9046.jpeg

3C967C6E-DA3F-49D2-9F64-898E6E90773E.jpeg

EF08D07F-C885-4213-9464-D206CC008968.jpeg

5E538721-84B6-45C9-ACA5-A0280F982239.jpeg

Nick sent me a pic he took yesterday while he piloted my truck and trailer for me. I love mirror shots, when they come out they make my day.

AC20B287-6970-402B-BB21-E25593B7A27B.jpeg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Well, boys and girls, today was the day.

Went out with 46° air, 48° water, and wind 9-12 mph from the north. Nowhere near ideal conditions, but the sun was out, so I figured why not?

My friend Nick met me at the ramp, and I filed a float plan with a couple of other buddies so they knew what was up.

Warmed up on the trailer and we headed out. It’s too early for the channel marker buoys to be out, but I know this water quite well, so we idled out far enough from shore to be safe and I rolled up on plane. I could tell just idling that things were different.

Once on plane, there were 1’ to 1-1/2’ waves and the biggest thing I noticed was we weren’t bottoming out, and it felt like a progressive spring or well tuned shock.

We cruised at 45 until the oil was warm, then I stepped up to 50, then 60, then proceeded to see if it was going to hop at 65. I let off at 75, as it was rough but we were rolling and having a blast. It’s at that point I let out quite a few whoops at full volume...IT WORKS!!!

We were heading north directly into the wind, so I turned east and crossed the entire lake at 75+, boat doing nothing stupid and neither one of us concerned. Once to the East shore, I pointed north again and ripped it up to 86. No issues, no hop, nothing dumb, better acceleration, and better ride. The word I would use would be: ECSTATIC!

This one ride made all of the work worth it. WHAT...A...RUSH.

At this point I stopped and handed the helm over to Nick, and for the first time, I was a passenger in my own boat in the rough. And even though we were barking the prop occasionally, never once was I concerned. It flies right, lands right, accelerates well.

Then I had Nick get on plane at numerous throttle levels, and it tractors right up and pops on plane cleanly without any slippage whatsoever.

I had done some turning with it when I was at the helm, but I didn’t crank too hard because of the waves. We found a tick calmer water further up the East shore and I had Nick turn it at 19 mph, and it stayed super flat. Previously it wanted to dip the outside sponson. At 30 and 40 mph, it actually leans IN! That’s what spray rails do for you, and I’ll have to GoPro it, but the pod might be contributing as well.

All in all, a great shakedown run, and I’m making a list of everything I want to test and document in flatter conditions.

C3786504-B1F2-4E1F-A649-075D495CCA86.jpeg

7C0BB1D2-338B-488C-8BA8-F4DCEA6FB979.jpeg

FC56514B-A427-46AF-992D-7CA36DC9101E.jpeg

Last edited:

Malik

Reaction score
Congrats!!! It’s been a great thread and I’m very happy for you it was all worth it.

RichL

Reaction score
Well, boys and girls, today was the day.

Went out with 46° air, 38° water, and wind 9-12 mph from the north. Nowhere near ideal conditions, but the sun was out, so I figured why not?

My friend Nick met me at the ramp, and I filed a float plan with a couple of other buddies so they knew what was up.

Warmed up on the trailer and we headed out. It’s too early for the channel marker buoys to be out, but I know this water quite well, so we idled out far enough from shore to be safe and I rolled up on plane. I could tell just idling that things were different.

Once on plane, there were 1’ to 1-1/2’ waves and the biggest thing I noticed was we weren’t bottoming out, and it felt like a progressive spring or well tuned shock.

We cruised at 45 until the oil was warm, then I stepped up to 50, then 60, then proceeded to see if it was going to hop at 65. I let off at 75, as it was rough but we were rolling and having a blast. It’s at that point I let out quite a few whoops at full volume...IT WORKS!!!

We were heading north directly into the wind, so I turned east and crossed the entire lake at 75+, boat doing nothing stupid and neither one of us concerned. Once to the East shore, I pointed north again and ripped it up to 86. No issues, no hop, nothing dumb, better acceleration, and better ride. The word I would use would be: ECSTATIC!

This one ride made all of the work worth it. WHAT...A...RUSH.

At this point I stopped and handed the helm over to Nick, and for the first time, I was a passenger in my own boat in the rough. And even though we were barking the prop occasionally, never once was I concerned. It flies right, lands right, accelerates well.

Then I had Nick get on plane at numerous throttle levels, and it tractors right up and pops on plane cleanly without any slippage whatsoever.

I had done some turning with it when I was at the helm, but I didn’t crank too hard because of the waves. We found a tick calmer water further up the East shore and I had Nick turn it at 19 mph, and it stayed super flat. Previously it wanted to dip the outside sponson. At 30 and 40 mph, it actually leans IN! That’s what spray rails do for you, and I’ll have to GoPro it, but the pod might be contributing as well.

All in all, a great shakedown run, and I’m making a list of everything I want to test and document in flatter conditions.

View attachment 992942

View attachment 992943

View attachment 992944
Congrats on a great first run in the new and improved Stress Eliminator.

OkHallett270

Reaction score
This is awesome! You guys are an inspiration! That’s a pretty good number for a shakedown run! I bet once you get it dialed in it will have some more in it. Congratulations! Lots of hard work paid off!

OkHallett270

Reaction score

View attachment 986652

View attachment 986653

original tunnel

View attachment 986654

My modded tunnel

View attachment 986655

View attachment 986657

Nick’s “CA deck”

View attachment 986656

My “WI deck”

View attachment 986658

Are we gonna see a similar thread for Nick’s 23 Daytona rehash? I know you said he’s not going to dive as deep as you did, but looks like you guys have some work ahead on it that would be worthy of a RDP chronicle!

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. We were just farting around out there today. I’m glad we got to run it in the rough and see how it performed.
My plan is to try to run it again sometime over the weekend when the wind is down and see if it exposes any sins in calm water.

We shall see...