WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Project StressEliminator Restomod-23 Daytona

poncho

Reaction score
Thanks, boys! I’m pretty stoked to get this thing mounted and to hear and feel the V-8 torque.

Gearcase and trim rams are getting the same silver treatment as I did on the 400R.
Good vision[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
E2E824C2-B12B-43C1-BA28-95CB75CFD1A1.jpeg

I’m slacking. I forgot to add this pic of the comparison of the stock bottom to mine.

Just a bit different…

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Pretty remarkable, especially if you followed the thread.

So after a season of just using the boat, not cutting, glassing or other such stuff, how was it? Worth all that effort?
Hahaha yea and tell the truth, as the hours we know can’t be but half the overall hours put into her.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Pretty remarkable, especially if you followed the thread.

So after a season of just using the boat, not cutting, glassing or other such stuff, how was it? Worth all that effort?
A resounding YES!!

Unfortunately, after putting life off for 10 months, I’ve been playing catch-up at home, but the trips I have taken have been a blast. This thing is tight, handles great and is very predictable.

I’m going to focus on the remaining details and get them all ironed out, make a new windshield, then paint the trailer and add lighting.

Then I’m hauling it wherever I choose to explore both new and familiar waters.

Lenmann, you’re doing spectacular work on your project, and I’m excited for you to enjoy the same experience I did earlier this year. For me, it was exhilarating. I just took it all in and pinched myself to ensure it was all real and not a cruel joke. I cannot wait to hear the description of your maiden voyage.

boat527

Reaction score
View attachment 1058433

I’m slacking. I forgot to add this pic of the comparison of the stock bottom to mine.

Just a bit different…
So.. here's a question..

Does the other 400 run any better than yours? Mph, porpoise? Might just be for trailering, but it looks higher than yours..

Just curious.. mounting the same set up on my 22 Stoker..

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
So.. here's a question..

Does the other 400 run any better than yours? Mph, porpoise? Might just be for trailering, but it looks higher than yours..

Just curious.. mounting the same set up on my 22 Stoker..
His best vs my best (with this configuration) are 12 mph apart, mine being faster on top.

The picture is just trailering.

His comes on plane with less bow rise, but once on plane, mine frees up quickly and has a much lighter feel to it. The negative angle of the pod (whole reason I notched mine in the first place) keeps the bow really planted, and is hard to free up. You can really measure it as drag by our live fuel economy on the VesselView. Mine is way more efficient at cruise.

Mine leans in while turning, his leans more out.

His has a Porta-bracket with more setback than mine, both engines have at least 5” of vertical travel. His water pressure goes low like a light switch, I can actually run mine high enough to lose speed before I lose water pressure.

It’s wild switching drivers in the middle of the lake, because they’re the same hull, with entirely different attitudes.

Neither one is right or wrong, they’re just different. But if I had to pick one, I’d keep mine 😉

Last edited:

wettek

Reaction score
His best vs my best (with this configuration) are 12 mph apart, mine being faster on top.

His comes on plane with less bow rise, but once on plane, mine frees up quickly and has a much lighter feel to it. The negative angle of the pod (whole reason I notched mine in the first place) keeps the bow really planted, and is hard to free up. You can really measure it as drag by our live fuel economy on the VesselView. Mine is way more efficient at cruise.

His has a Porta-bracket with more setback than mine, both engines have at least 5” of vertical travel. His water pressure goes low like a light switch, I can actually run mine high enough to lose speed before I lose water pressure.

It’s wild switching drivers in the middle of the lake, because they’re the same hull, with entirely different attitudes.

Neither one is right or wrong, they’re just different. But if I had to pick one, I’d keep mine 😉
It will be interesting to see if the boat feels/behaves any differently with the V-8. When will we see the maiden voyage?

Xring01

Reaction score

When I buy my 23 Daytona, what ya gonna charge me to make the “Hydroskreaming modifications” to it?

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if the boat feels/behaves any differently with the V-8. When will we see the maiden voyage?
When my maiden feels like it??😁

Next week. Making rigging harnesses custom length makes things really clean and tidy, but routing, figuring length, shortening, de-pinning and re-pinning just flat takes time. It’s definitely worth it, though. Coming out really clean.

3E0349E2-2C71-4081-9F22-71ABD131CD23.jpeg

96251736-CA69-4E24-8F45-DE0958EAB95A.jpeg

852092B5-0ADD-49E6-B464-BDF7BFBC02C2.jpeg

6D993800-F793-4894-B0D3-A2678F9FFEC2.jpeg

As HeadlessHula would say, “It doesn’t suck”.

I think the colors and the cowl lines tie into the boat nicely. I’m ecstatic with how it’s turning out.

Last edited:

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Saw this the other day....
Very cool!

I’m leaning toward 17” wheels if I change anytime soon. There’s so much other stuff ahead of even thinking about that, but thanks for thinking of me! They take me back to my youth, probably made most famous by the General Lee😁

wettek

Reaction score
Your maiden is looking great! Maybe a splash of color or pinstriping on the transom would break it up a bit? Just my opinion, and beauty is subjective, but the blue 450 looks a bit odd against a big all white transom. Maybe a small pattern either side matching the hull pattern. Just my opinion though, like I said, I still wouldn't kick it out of my garage!

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Your maiden is looking great! Maybe a splash of color or pinstriping on the transom would break it up a bit? Just my opinion, and beauty is subjective, but the blue 450 looks a bit odd against a big all white transom. Maybe a small pattern either side matching the hull pattern. Just my opinion though, like I said, I still wouldn't kick it out of my garage!
I’m going to be making an 8” setback bracket for it, and also swim steps, which will be powder coated Translucent Blue to match the jackplate. Thinking of painting the bracket in the red/orange/yellow that’s on the engine. I should have enough paint left to do that.

I hear you on the mass of white back there. I thought of doing the bracket in silver as well, might be alright too. I’m trying not to contaminate the red/orange/yellow theme with too much silver, but as you get to the engine, the gearcase and trim rams are silver. I dusted one side cover in silver before I decided what color to make them and it was a bit much with all of the cowl colors.

Thanks for your suggestion!

wettek

Reaction score
I’m going to be making an 8” setback bracket for it, and also swim steps, which will be powder coated Translucent Blue to match the jackplate. Thinking of painting the bracket in the red/orange/yellow that’s on the engine. I should have enough paint left to do that.

I hear you on the mass of white back there. I thought of doing the bracket in silver as well, might be alright too. I’m trying not to contaminate the red/orange/yellow theme with too much silver, but as you get to the engine, the gearcase and trim rams are silver. I dusted one side cover in silver before I decided what color to make them and it was a bit much with all of the cowl colors.

Thanks for your suggestion!
Anodised swim steps will really break it up nicely, maybe an anodised grab rail above each one as well. Looking forward to the V8 water test results.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Got the rigging done to my satisfaction, and although the weather is getting chilly and a bit windy to run, I did get a chance to splash it and do a small amount of running.

It’s weird hearing a supercharged V8 coming from where the supercharged in-line 6 sounds came from, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

The 400R planed fine with through hub props, and if the jackplate was low enough, you could go full throttle out of the hole and it would pop right up on plane. The 450R takes way less throttle, and set at the same height as the 400R, the 450R can be throttled hard enough to make the through hub prop break loose. It’s a dream to drive; plenty of reserve torque while cruising.

Here’s the powerhead view and the rig center for the 450R. All of the tank, water in fuel and other connections that normally go through the rig tube and connect on the engine now connect to this black box called the rig center, and I think it cleans things up and makes them reasonably accessible.

E52C9EEB-BAFC-4332-9962-AC3374225680.jpeg

6AEEC928-B600-408D-BC22-956028A05B0C.jpeg

3C932D6A-D7BA-493D-A946-FA6A69AF03FE.jpeg
28752BE4-938B-47C8-948E-BA507D17F019.jpeg

For just starting out, I’m happy. It was blowing 12-15 and was not conducive to wringing out every last bit of speed, but it handles really well at the century mark. I guess I’ll have to wait until next spring to run it out. There’s frost every morning now, and the highs have just been into the 40’s, so it’s time for winter slumber. Maybe I’ll flip it and…nah! I’m done with the experiment, time to use it.

I’m curious to see what you guys think of the exhaust.

We’ll see if it finds its way down to the St John’s river in FL. I’d like to do a little winter exploring and see some new places. It’s time to use this thing!
DB907518-AEEE-4004-8460-3214FDE5E798.jpeg
108A6A8D-10E8-43DD-8B0B-FA7F8DEB7285.png

Last edited:

sonicss31

Reaction score
If you hitch it up on Sunday you could hang out in the Keys with Hula in the House next door to me. :cool:

lenmann

Reaction score
So cool! Congrats.

I'm not sure I could resist the urge to take a trip to Florida to wring it out if I were in your shoes.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
If you hitch it up on Sunday you could hang out in the Keys with Hula in the House next door to me. :cool:
So cool! Congrats.

I'm not sure I could resist the urge to take a trip to Florida to wring it out if I were in your shoes.
hell yeah! Take it to Florida!
I’d love nothing more than to hitch it up and head south for Thanksgiving or Christmas, but I’m just going to let my vacation reset on January 1, 2022 and go down when the water is hard here.

It’s very high on my list, with some family and mechanical priorities before that can happen. I’m really looking forward to that adventure when the time comes.

JanSmi

Reaction score
Thanks a lot❗👍
Close to 1k of inspiring and educational postings. Got the link through the Mercury Racing news bulletin and have enjoyed all during a week - on and off - reading carefully and taking notes. Three factors and the ability to combine those in your personal, direct and elaborate way of sharing has been most impressive - the philosophy including chain of thougts and reflections, the tutorial in exploring new crafts, tools and processes - and stamina, persistence and will to stay in it. Including when you occationally admit failure, tell how you backtrace to correct it - and find new momentum in spite of things towering up and feeling overwhelming.
Please accept the greetings from another nowegian and fellow newbee boat restorer - learning new skills every day I unzipp my tent hangar to continue where i left off. (A bit cold these days in Norway too).
Now you have the increasingly brighter days of winter to enjoy your success and look forward to the boating days of spring and summer. Please keep up feeding us with updates❗

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Thanks a lot❗👍
Close to 1k of inspiring and educational postings. Got the link through the Mercury Racing news bulletin and have enjoyed all during a week - on and off - reading carefully and taking notes. Three factors and the ability to combine those in your personal, direct and elaborate way of sharing has been most impressive - the philosophy including chain of thougts and reflections, the tutorial in exploring new crafts, tools and processes - and stamina, persistence and will to stay in it. Including when you occationally admit failure, tell how you backtrace to correct it - and find new momentum in spite of things towering up and feeling overwhelming.
Please accept the greetings from another nowegian and fellow newbee boat restorer - learning new skills every day I unzipp my tent hangar to continue where i left off. (A bit cold these days in Norway too).
Now you have the increasingly brighter days of winter to enjoy your success and look forward to the boating days of spring and summer. Please keep up feeding us with updates❗
Thanks for following, and by your well-worded response, I’m very pleased to see that you “get it”; that is, understand the vibe of this thread.

No one wants to admit defeat, but if I can help others not make the same mistakes as me, we’ve accomplished something. It’s unrealistic to only have positive outcomes. We’re human, after all.

Good luck with your project, and thanks for your well wishes!

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
6505CB99-8DFB-4951-8B73-475BD9D9CE37.jpeg

34140E5C-7EA4-410B-993E-1CE9F04DD7D6.jpeg

Check this out. I’m blown away.

Scott Reierson is from Madison, whom I met on screamandfly. Turns out I may have worked on some of his car and truck engines at the race shop I previously worked for.

He’s recently retired, and came up to Hula’s shop while I was working on the boat, and said he thought he saw it at the factory being built (Eliminator factory in Shawano, WI). I thought it was maybe hot rodder talk and didn’t think anything of it, until I open my messages this morning to these.

That’s my boat!!!! Isn’t that wild?!?

The fact that my boat inspired him to take a film photo (remember the pre-digital effort? Decide whether or not you wanted to waste one of the precious slots on your film, send it away, wait for it to get developed and returned, all the while hoping at least 2/3 of the pictures that you took turned out 😂) says how impressionable the gel scheme is, in my opinion.

Even better is that he RECALLED taking that picture, AND took the time to dig it out is truly impressive and appreciated.

Makes the world a little bit smaller, doesn’t it? There’s something to the whole 6° of separation thing, eh?

As I said, I’m blown away. The last owner to have power in it before me still had a pair of these on it.

What say you?

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
In looking at the transom picture in more detail, it looks like maybe the boat had just come back from the ramp, probably just running backed in.

The scum line is way lower than if it was floating, and I also noticed that the engines were originally mounted in the tunnels. When I got it, the brackets were further out on the sponsons.

This explains all of the extra holes in the transom (which also led to its demise).

What a time capsule for me…

lenmann

Reaction score
This is the amazing part: "Even better is that he RECALLED taking that picture"

I was at the GNRS in LA this weekend and an old friend was showing an old Cal Look VW. On his display poster he had some pics to help set the period for the car. He insists that I took most of them, damn if I remember any of it...

Duramax

Reaction score
View attachment 1083929

View attachment 1083930

Scott Reierson is from Madison, whom I met on screamandfly. Turns out I may have worked on some of his car and truck engines at the race shop I previously worked for.

He’s recently retired, and came up to Hula’s shop while I was working on the boat, and said he thought he saw it at the factory being built (Eliminator factory in Shawano, WI). I thought it was maybe hot rodder talk and didn’t think anything of it, until I open my messages this morning to these.

The fact that my boat inspired him to take a film photo (remember the pre-digital effort? Decide whether or not you wanted to waste one of the precious slots on your film, send it away, wait for it to get developed and returned, all the while hoping at least 2/3 of the pictures that you took turned out 😂) says how impressionable the gel scheme is, in my opinion.

Even better is that he RECALLED taking that picture, AND took the time to dig it out is truly impressive and appreciated.

Makes the world a little bit smaller, doesn’t it? There’s something to the whole 6° of separation thing, eh?

As I said, I’m blown away. The last owner to have power in it before me still had a pair of these on it.

What say you?
I spent years riding my bicycle in that shop. Great picture!! You know I am sucker for twins......but that is BAD ASS!!! Your boat looks amazing, can we put two 300's on the back? =)

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I spent years riding my bicycle in that shop. Great picture!! You know I am sucker for twins......but that is BAD ASS!!! Your boat looks amazing, can we put two 300's on the back? =)
"WE" sure can! :)

In fact, when we did the transom, that was always the option for this. This thing accelerates great with the 450R, I can't imagine twin 300R's...

I like the way it floats, planes and handles now, so I have zero plans of ever putting twins on this boat. But it's fun to dream!

87EliminatorLiberty

Reaction score
View attachment 1083929

View attachment 1083930

What say you?
I just found out about this transformation story after reading it on the Mercury Racing Blog. The journey of the Johnny B Stress Eliminator is amazing. I too have an ‘87 Eliminator Liberty 20 ft with 200 HP Mercury that I bet it was in that same shop in Shawano, WI with your boat. A few years ago I bought the boat from my Dad who had acquired it when I was around 7-8 years old from the original owner. Unlike your boat my Dad treated his Eliminator like another member of our family. Only the individuals on this forum would ever understand the attention to detail and meticulous care my Dad put into our boat.

Don’t know if anyone will care but I thought some of you would appreciate seeing what a factory original 1987 Eliminator Liberty looks like today. Original 200 HP Mercury. Only thing that has been replaced are the gauges and the wiring.

Every spring I feel like the luckiest boat owner alive when I fire her up. The memories I have learning to ski and barefoot on this boat and now teaching my own kids to ski is why boats are so special.

Attachments

• C85E2A55-341A-44EF-B23D-FF38A78A0818.jpeg
    C85E2A55-341A-44EF-B23D-FF38A78A0818.jpeg
    769.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3613.MOV
    30.3 MB
  • EA074C40-51E6-4C63-93A2-A424E9D87B40.jpeg
    EA074C40-51E6-4C63-93A2-A424E9D87B40.jpeg
    758.1 KB · Views: 107

lenmann

Reaction score
I just found out about this transformation story after reading it on the Mercury Racing Blog. The journey of the Johnny B Stress Eliminator is amazing. I too have an ‘87 Eliminator Liberty 20 ft with 200 HP Mercury that I bet it was in that same shop in Shawano, WI with your boat. A few years ago I bought the boat from my Dad who had acquired it when I was around 7-8 years old from the original owner. Unlike your boat my Dad treated his Eliminator like another member of our family. Only the individuals on this forum would ever understand the attention to detail and meticulous care my Dad put into our boat.

Don’t know if anyone will care but I thought some of you would appreciate seeing what a factory original 1987 Eliminator Liberty looks like today. Original 200 HP Mercury. Only thing that has been replaced are the gauges and the wiring.

Every spring I feel like the luckiest boat owner alive when I fire her up. The memories I have learning to ski and barefoot on this boat and now teaching my own kids to ski is why boats are so special.
What a great looking boat, and congrats on not only keeping great family memories, but making new ones. Some day, when your kids are adults, they will revel in the great time spent behind that boat.

Duramax

Reaction score

What a beauty!

lenmann

Reaction score
Very cool! He's got some talent too.

I was goofing around one time with paint trying to make drips and splatters actually look like something other than drips and splatters. It's much harder than I thought and my new career as an artist ended...

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Damn moving from 3 months of boating to 6-7 months congratulations buddy. Take it you’re retiring as well than.

RichL

Reaction score

jb600

Highly unusual
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new job buddy! So now I have make a trip to LOTO to check out the Stress Eliminator in person now that it’s shiny side up again. I only got to see it’s bottom side. 😁
Glad to see that project come out the way you wanted. Looks awesome!

Also. Who do I send a resume to? You or………😆

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new job buddy! So now I have make a trip to LOTO to check out the Stress Eliminator in person now that it’s shiny side up again. I only got to see it’s bottom side. 😁
Glad to see that project come out the way you wanted. Looks awesome!

Also. Who do I send a resume to? You or………😆
Bring it!! You definitely deserve a ride, and to see the top side😁

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
When does StressEliminator get her new trolling motor?

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
When does StressEliminator get her new trolling motor?
As long as I can ride with you, what do I need an engine for?!?😁

It’s scheduled for August, don’t know if it’s going to be ready for shootout week or not. We’ll see…

Xring01

Reaction score
No freaking way..
Outboards Rock..
I/Os, have alot more moving parts to fail. Consume more fuel for the same results. HP / Weight Ratio.. shut up, you lose that debate…

23ft boat… OB ALL THE WAY