WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

ProMariner on-board charger failed, What the hell!

Jimmyv

Reaction score
ProMariner ProSport 12, 2 bank charger, good batteries (before it failed)

I haven’t had any issues since install in Dec 2018. My marine mechanic came over to go through the carbs (Merc 115 outboard), and the batteries were all 1-2 volts. Last time I checked anything was this past fall, batteries topped off then, no issues.

Anybody else experience any issues with these? I’m unfortunately 6 months past ProMariner’s two year warranty, not sure they will work with me to replace it.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I've installed their stuff in public safety vehicles and boats with good results you may have just had bad luck

PlanB

Reaction score
Current ones (two) been in the boat for 6 years. The previous boat had a three bank in it for about the same when I replaced it due to failure.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I literally just put one of these in my boat but a 4 bank... 😢😍👀

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

I haven’t had any issues since install in Dec 2018. My marine mechanic came over to go through the carbs (Merc 115 outboard), and the batteries were all 1-2 volts. Last time I checked anything was this past fall, batteries topped off then, no issues.

Anybody else experience any issues with these? I’m unfortunately 6 months past ProMariner’s two year warranty, not sure they will work with me to replace it.

Dunno what you plugged into but:
I killed off two of them Jimmy. Boat and RV.

Non- Inverter generators will kill them also:

I was using the Honda 1000 generator that only puts out 7 amps @ 1000 watts. Though a clean sine wave - Too weak.
They need a good power source is what killed me.

Last edited:

stingray11

Reaction score
I just had one fail on me but it was 10 years old.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
ProMariner chargers are garbage. They have the 2nd highestest failure rate of any charger I've dealt with 2nd only to Charles Chargers.

DeltaVolt(Dual Pro) or ProNautic(ironically made by ProMariner) are what you should use. Minnkota chargers are also have descent if you're looking for a basic style. Make sure you are using the correct style of battery for any given charger

lbhsbz

Reaction score

How old are the batteries? They still fail, charger or not. If they’re tied together and one fails, it’ll kill the other one shortly.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
It seems like most folks experience with these have been positive, so I’ll just assume I got the bad one.

Boat spends the off-season at my house. Charger is plugged into the house - gets clean power. Batteries are the same age as the charger. 2 separate banks, neither seem to be able to take a charge now.

I’ll contact ProMariner and see if they won’t work with me on warranty. If not, I’ll look for another charger along with the batteries I’ll need to replace.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If you’re basing your diagnosis simply on the fact that the batteries are dead, I’d slow down. You need new batteries now anyway, get those and measure voltage...then hook up the charger and measure voltage. If your second number is higher than the first, then the charger is working. What kind of batteries? I prefer Deka, since it’s the only US made lead acid battery left, have not had good luck with much of anything else. 3-4 years seems to be about the norm. Occasionally I’ll get lucky with a battery that just won’t die, or tests bad but works fine for another 5 years, but it’s rare.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Time will tell with mine. I’ve had my Promariner in for less than a year. Although they are designed to stay plugged in all the time, I have mine on a timer which turns on for 24 hours once a week when I’m not there. I’m hoping that extends the life of the charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoshiro

Reaction score
I've got the same promariner 12 2 bank in my boat. It's 2 years old now. Seems to work just fine. Time for me to replace my batteries though. I think I'll try some AGM this time around.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Time will tell with mine. I’ve had my Promariner in for less than a year. Although they are designed to stay plugged in all the time, I have mine on a timer which turns on for 24 hours once a week when I’m not there. I’m hoping that extends the life of the charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plugged into a timer is what I do too.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

I have a Promariner 12 or 20 (i forget) in my boat. The first one died in the first year, just quit working. Promariner was good about it and sent me a brand new one. That’s been in there for 2-3 years now with no issues. You may have just gotten a bad one, hopefully they’ll work with you, just give them a call.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
If you’re basing your diagnosis simply on the fact that the batteries are dead, I’d slow down. You need new batteries now anyway, get those and measure voltage...then hook up the charger and measure voltage. If your second number is higher than the first, then the charger is working. What kind of batteries? I prefer Deka, since it’s the only US made lead acid battery left, have not had good luck with much of anything else. 3-4 years seems to be about the norm. Occasionally I’ll get lucky with a battery that just won’t die, or tests bad but works fine for another 5 years, but it’s rare.

Charger has leds indicating status. I hoped the batteries were just so low the charger was unable to sense them and go into a charge mode. Bench tested it with good batteries. Still No go.

Can’t recall the brand batteries, bought from a battery shop in Parker though. Had no issues up until this.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Wondering if this is the issue I was having with my batteries at DS. I have 2 Odyssey batteries and have the pro tournament elite 36. I plug it in every night while there and leave it plugged in when we are gone.

Since I have had the boat we can run our stereo off one battery, pretty much all day. Last time out, we would run it for maybe an hour and a half and I was getting low voltage notifications from my head unit. Was thinking that the batteries might be toast, but now I am going to check the charger next trip we are there.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Wondering if this is the issue I was having with my batteries at DS. I have 2 Odyssey batteries and have the pro tournament elite 36. I plug it in every night while there and leave it plugged in when we are gone.

Since I have had the boat we can run our stereo off one battery, pretty much all day. Last time out, we would run it for maybe an hour and a half and I was getting low voltage notifications from my head unit. Was thinking that the batteries might be toast, but now I am going to check the charger next trip we are there.

I'm assuming you ran the boat to a destination, did you have it switched to "All" so both batteries got topped of during your run, or did you leave them isolated while running?

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
I run Optima Blue tops in both of my boats, and they both have ProMariner 2 bank chargers in them. One boat for probably 7 years and the other for about 5. No issues so far.....

DLC

Reaction score
I have had a 3 bank w/ batteries since 2017, I don’t leave it plugged in all the time usually a couple days before we go boating and a day after and I use my battery disconnect/ shut off when it sits. So far things have been great!

but
i probably just jinxed myself......

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
How old are the batteries? They still fail, charger or not. If they’re tied together and one fails, it’ll kill the other one shortly.
Yep if your battery(s) are weak it’ll work the charger to death.

oldschool

Reaction score
I had the same unit fail last year. Promariner sent me a new unit, no questions asked(I think they do this a lot ). I think I sent in the old unit.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Brought a 3 bank Pro Mariner to my mechanic in fall to install. He said nope, I've seen a couple start on fire. I'll install it only if you state that you're fully aware of the risk. I went with another brand.

I still have it unused in my garage because it was a third party Amazon purchase and I took too long to return it. Maybe a "River Whipper" will purchase it.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Since I quit maintaining my boat batteries over the winter (Baja with Mercc OB and Mastercraft with Indmar), they've been lasting way longer. I had a Trojan go 8 years.
Before putting boat away, I take the off one cable, top it off with an Optimate on for a day and into storage it goes - where it can see long periods of colder than -30f.
In spring, Optimate for a day or two and into the water and onto the lift for the summer.
Personally, I wouldn't install any on board charger in a boat. Too much risk of bad things happening if something in them fails. If you've got multiple batteries, make up harnesses long enough so they can come our the back of the boat and leave the charger on the ground/floor.

Reactions: TPC

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I’ve had one for 5 years now. No problems. Leave it plugged in when I am not there. My last set of interstates lasted 7 years. I am hard on the batteries too. Stereo on for 6-10 hours a day.