WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop hub/washer/nut question

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I just got my spare set of props back from bblades. I bought them damaged from a previous owner of my boat, and I’ve never ran them. These props have a different hub/nut combo than my other humpback cleavers. My other set has a large hub that drops out the back (flow torque 2?)and a big washer and nylock nut.

These are what I have. I only have what’s pictured. They go on a sportsmaster lower. Can anyone lead me to what else I need (nut/lock washer with tabs)? Should there be a thrust washer or anything on back? Are these flo torque 1?

IMG_4892.JPG
IMG_4893.JPG
IMG_4894.JPG
IMG_4895.JPG

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Gonna need a thrust washer for proper spacing b/t drive and prop

Any of the cleavers I have run whether over hub or through hub needed a Thrust washer

Standard type install as far as I know... never seen anything different

Based on the prop compatibility with the drive I have had to have a custom thrust washer made

It was a merc prop used on an Evinrude

Don't think you have that issue though

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Gonna need a thrust washer for proper spacing b/t drive and prop

Any of the cleavers I have run whether over hub or through hub needed a Thrust washer

Standard type install as far as I know... never seen anything different

Based on the prop compatibility with the drive I have had to have a custom thrust washer made

It was a merc prop used on an Evinrude

Don't think you have that issue though

That was the second thing that confused me. Upon pulling the 34’s off my lowers, they do not have any thrust washers. But every other prop I’ve messed with I believe had one of some sort except some solid hub choppers, I think?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
That was the second thing that confused me. Upon pulling the 34’s off my lowers, they do not have any thrust washers. But every other prop I’ve messed with I believe had one of some sort except some solid hub choppers, I think?
They will need thrust washers for sure, if not they are going to hit the lower unit and not seat correctly on the shaft. Some of the flo torques are shorter then the others, same concept though, as long as you have the correct hub kit for your shaft, fat or skinny you should be fine.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
They will need thrust washers for sure, if not they are going to hit the lower unit and not seat correctly on the shaft. Some of the flo torques are shorter then the others, same concept though, as long as you have the correct hub kit for your shaft, fat or skinny you should be fine.

Thanks Walt. That’s what I thought. Since the hub drops in from the front, something has to keep the prop away from the LU.

So, is a bravo/alpha a 1.25” shaft, same thread, etc as my sportsmaster??

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Did some searching, looks like alpha/bravo are 1”. Not 1.25” 19 spline like my sporty.

I’ll keep looking until I find something that makes sense.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Did some searching, looks like alpha/bravo are 1”. Not 1.25” 19 spline like my sporty.

I’ll keep looking until I find something that makes sense.

You don’t use a thrush washer with the fat shaft. Just like an XR drive. Older sportmasters or CLE May have the smaller shaft and you’ll need one. A Sportmaster off a 2.5/280 ROS has a fat shaft and so do any modern Sport masters off the 3L motors if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
You don’t use a thrush washer with the fat shaft. Just like an XR drive. Older sportmasters or CLE May have the smaller shaft and you’ll need one. A Sportmaster off a 2.5/280 has a fat shaft and so do any modern Sport masters off the 3L motors if that makes sense.

Thank you! I read that in a few places, but I can’t seem to find the hub kit I have in hand that is for a fat shaft.

So all I should need is the tab washer and nut? And the hub itself has a taper that determines where the prop rides on the shaft??

My other props have this setup:
IMG_4897.JPG

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Thank you! I read that in a few places, but I can’t seem to find the hub kit I have in hand that is for a fat shaft.

So all I should need is the tab washer and nut? And the hub itself has a taper that determines where the prop rides on the shaft??

My other props have this setup:
View attachment 613764

That’s the correct hub for a fat shaft. Hub in the Prop. Big washer. Flat washer. Then chamfered washer. Then nut. It will fit in any prop that accepts a flow torque hub.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
That’s the correct hub for a fat shaft. Hub in the Prop. Big washer. Flat washer. Then chamfered washer. Then nut. It will fit in any prop that accepts a flow torque hub.

I have another question for you. So back story...the owner of my boat from a few years ago contacted me and said he had a pair of props that came off my boat and Brett Anderson spent a lot of time with him dialing them in. One had a little damage so I had Brett/Brad fix it. I was originally told they had the serial number on file (by both the previous owner, and Brad). I sent the damaged prop in, and then got a call that they needed my other prop so they could match it. When I sent my other prop, it had 14.5x32 stamped in it. I got them both back today and now they’re stamped 14.25x32, which made me wonder.

Now, I’m looking at these props, and I’m wondering if they were ever even on my damn boat?? They have this hub in them, which is 15 spline, and I have 3.0 sportys which are 19. Can I take these hubs out and run the hubs from my 34’s? Or did I get fucked??

IMG_4898.JPG

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
To clarify, can I take this prop:
IMG_4893.JPG

Take that hub out (press?)

And put this hub in?
IMG_4897.JPG

Outdrive1

Reaction score
You should be able to take the hubs out of your other props and put them in there unless they are solid hub. Which there are props with solid hubs in them.

Seems strange they would send you those props with hubs that don’t fit your lowers. I’d guess those were never on your boat but who knows.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
You should be able to take the hubs out of your other props and put them in there unless they are solid hub. Which there are props with solid hubs in them.

Seems strange they would send you those props with hubs that don’t fit your lowers. I’d guess those were never on your boat but who knows.

I’m guessing the same thing, and kinda pissed right now!

How do I tell if they are solid hub? If they aren’t, do I just put them in my press to get the hub out or will they tap out? They certainly don’t slide out like the ones in my 34’s.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Tap them out. This is not a solid hub. It will come out.
IMG_9257.JPG

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Thank you a ton for helping me out by the way.

Not sure if these help or not...
IMG_4899.JPG
IMG_4900.JPG
IMG_4901.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Those will come out.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the lower and Prop shaft and pics of the 34’s?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Those will come out.

Cool, thank you.

These are the first props I’ve ever had fixed. Is it typical to send in a prop and it come back a smaller diameter? I always assumed they added material.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Cool, thank you.

These are the first props I’ve ever had fixed. Is it typical to send in a prop and it come back a smaller diameter? I always assumed they added material.

No. Unless you asked them to change the diameter and why would they press the wrong hubs in? That’s a B Blades stamp?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Yeah, bblades. They knew they were going on 300’s with 3.0 sportys. Those hubs were in them when I sent them because I asked them to check everything out.

Now, 1,000$ later to have one fixed, not even sure wtf I have! Lol

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
No. Unless you asked them to change the diameter and why would they press the wrong hubs in? That’s a B Blades stamp?

Just wanted to say thank you again OD1. I was excited like a kid on christmas to get the props back yesterday, then it seemed to spiral down hill from there. Thanks for answering my boating content questions. :)

--Jeff

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Found this old picture from ~5 yrs ago, of my boat (before it was mine). Oddly, it has the other hub style on it. Perhaps those were actually solid, non-removeable hub props meant for a sporty?
HA_800.jpg