WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop nut for v-Drive

specrocz

77 Spectra 24 v-drive
Reaction score
My bronze castle nut stripped yesterday while installing my prop. I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere that looks anything like the old one. All I'm finding are SS with nylon lock in the threads. Are these the new style that I should be using or does anyone know where to find a bronze 3/4' thread castle nut and cotter? Thanks for any information that helps......

tankman

Reaction score
Location would be helpful. If in phoenix Bergeron marine. If in havasu Quality Marine or Connely Marine. All should be able to ship.

specrocz

77 Spectra 24 v-drive
Reaction score
Location would be helpful. If in phoenix Bergeron marine. If in havasu Quality Marine or Connely Marine. All should be able to ship.
I'm now in central northern Michigan. I will try contacting those outlets as soon as I can. Thanks a bunch. Nobody deals with this kind of boat around here and some didn't even know what a v-Drive is.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Tom Bentley from Menkens V Drives prolly sells them as well.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need it to be a castle nut, the cotter pin keeps the nut from coming off altogether, doubtful you ever get lucky enough where it will tighten to the proper torque and be in alignment with the hole in the prop shaft. Most of ours have a stainless or brass nylock with a cotter pin behind that.

specrocz

77 Spectra 24 v-drive
Reaction score
Ok Thank you for the info. I'm the only v-Drive boat I ever see out there where I'm at. I didn't know the nylock were good for my application. I will try and get one asap.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Hell you could prolly get one from McMaster Carr supply too.

old rigger

Reaction score
don't forget Glenwood Marine, probably the oldest supplier around. They offer brass prop nuts.

thetub

Reaction score
i like the brass prop nuts better.

seems like the stainless ones are to hard if that makes sense. the brass ones go on easier.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
The nice thing about using the brass nuts is exactly what happened to you, better the nut than the shaft. I always make sure to have anti seize on the prop and the nut.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
I've been using a NI-CU ,(monel), nut with nylock for years.