WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop pitch

hallett21

Reaction score
Can a propeller shop re-pitch a prop and whats a rough estimate cost to do so? I want to take a 19 high five and add pitch to it. Trying to avoid selling and buying a new prop, unless this would be more $$. Not really looking to cup the blades because I am thinking the prop needs to be closer to a 22 instead of a 19 and I am not sure cupping will do it for me. Then again I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
Can a propeller shop re-pitch a prop and whats a rough estimate cost to do so? I want to take a 19 high five and add pitch to it. Trying to avoid selling and buying a new prop, unless this would be more $$. Not really looking to cup the blades because I am thinking the prop needs to be closer to a 22 instead of a 19 and I am not sure cupping will do it for me. Then again I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Yes I am pretty sure they can. I would contact Cutting Edge Propellers here on the boards. Always hear good things about him. You may find he can build you a new one for not much more if at all. I hope to build a prop with him this summer.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
They can, to a point. There is only so much they can bend them up or down. Might be best to sell/swap for one of the right pitch out of the gate. I use Kevin @ R&R Prop Shop. 702-564-7502. He has a good selection of used and consignment stuff on the wall.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Buy another and keep that as a spare,

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I'd try to swap it, although it could be re-pitched as you wish. I wouldn't use R&R, though. Randy charged my parents $225 for a prop swap.

Alternately, you might find someone with a 22p High five here who wishes to swap for a 19p?

Last edited:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I ask about this when I had my prop repaired. The guy told me they could add cup and make other changes but not change the pitch. He said it would weaken it too much. Beats me though how accurate that is.

Sent from my iPhone paid for with Union money. :D

Phebus

Past Poster.
Reaction score
If you're spinning a 19P and think you need a 22P you must be banging hard on the rev limiter with that 19P.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Buy another and keep that as a spare,

Exactly what I did last week. Looking for a replacement for the laser II 21 pitch three blade that was on my 210 Hallett when I bought it. Went with a 21 pitch Signature Pleasure FOUR from Hill Propellers. Chad assured me of the increased performance I would get and it was great to chat with him and Ron for an hour or so. Also was interesting watching them pour the props in the back, great group of guys down there and only cost me $294.00+tax for the new one!

hallett21

Reaction score
If you're spinning a 19P and think you need a 22P you must be banging hard on the rev limiter with that 19P.

Lol your telling me. For skiing it's great I can get an elephant out of the hole. However I can get a 150-170ish lb skier out with a 23 mirage plus. I only tested that prop for the day and gave it back to the propeller company in havasu. Shoulda kept that one lol. I have two 19 high fives and I haven't been able to get rid of one lol. I also have a Michigan Apollo 22 four blade. Not a huge fan of it. Definitely faster at WOT but not great in the 4k range. Primarily because if I give it any trim It spikes like 600 rpm with no mph gain. This usually happens around neutral trim. And the motor is not mounted ski high. Prop shaft is 2-3 inches under the keel

My reason for wanting the higher pitch 5 blade is I like the hole shot and the overall characteristics of the high five but I feel like the boat is way under pitched. I know this probably wont be the all out top end prop but I'd like to get a little more out of the ski prop.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Lol your telling me. For skiing it's great I can get an elephant out of the hole. However I can get a 150-170ish lb skier out with a 23 mirage plus. I only tested that prop for the day and gave it back to the propeller company in havasu. Shoulda kept that one lol. I have two 19 high fives and I haven't been able to get rid of one lol. I also have a Michigan Apollo 22 four blade. Not a huge fan of it. Definitely faster at WOT but not great in the 4k range. Primarily because if I give it any trim It spikes like 600 rpm with no mph gain. This usually happens around neutral trim. And the motor is not mounted ski high. Prop shaft is 2-3 inches under the keel

My reason for wanting the higher pitch 5 blade is I like the hole shot and the overall characteristics of the high five but I feel like the boat is way under pitched. I know this probably wont be the all out top end prop but I'd like to get a little more out of the ski prop.

This is what I get when I run my high 5 on my Lavey. Just a little trim w/o some speed and I can blow it out easily. 4 blade I can blow out turning unless I tuck the drive back down. The three blade works the best for this boat.

Call Greg at cutting edge. He will fill you with info, no charge.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
This is what I get when I run my high 5 on my Lavey. Just a little trim w/o some speed and I can blow it out easily. blade I can blow out turning unless I tuck the drive back down. The three blade works the best for this boat.

Call Greg at cutting edge. He will fill you with info, no charge.

See that's weird cause with the High Five I can trim pretty much however I want and it bites just fine. I think I will need to contact Greg. Do they allow you to test props?

STV_Keith

Reaction score
I'd try to swap it, although it could be re-pitched as you wish. I wouldn't use R&R, though. They charged my parents $225 for a prop swap.

Alternately, you might find someone with a 22p High five here, who wishes to swap for a 19p?

I heard the story of your incident direct from Kevin. There are 2 sides to every story, but you are the first I have ever heard have a problem with Kevin.

77charger

Reaction score
I have an older 206 eliminator with a 350 mag and i use a 21p mirage 3 blade that has had the blades thinned out by hill this prop kicked ass i could trim it as high as i wanted too didnt lose bite,got on plane great but still had a great top end too.

My boss borrowed boat hit some rocks i had it refinished still works great i just cant trim it like i use too but besides that still has great out of hole and top speed.It still carries the bow pretty good.

I have tried other props a rev 4 4blade near same out of hole but slightly less top speed and my fuel milage went down too.Have a 19 mirage does fine but as expected top speed loss but little gain out of hole.This prop didnt carry the bow like the 3 blade did

hallett21

Reaction score
I should probably ask as well does cutting edge do outboard props?

DRIVE BYE

Reaction score
Hey Hallett, PM Ratchet. he has the same boat and motor that you do. He's not on the boards much, but he's a wealth of info on outboards. If you don't get in touch with him let me know and i will make it happen.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I heard the story of your incident direct from Kevin. There are 2 sides to every story, but you are the first I have ever heard have a problem with Kevin.

Kevin did no work to the prop. He swapped it for a like prop. He charged over 200 bucks.

A few of days later, I called and asked if he would swap the props back and refund the money but he said the other prop was sold to someone else. I take him at his word on that but perhaps it's time to reconsider this whole situation.

If Kevin's story does not involve any of these items, I'd enjoy hearing it. Perhaps it's time for a full blown call-out.

Step up, Keith. Bring your second hand story to the table and let's have a look. :)

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Kevin did no work to the prop. He swapped it for a like prop. He charged over 200 bucks.

A few of days later, I called and asked if he would swap the props back and refund the money but he said the other prop was sold to someone else. I take him at his word on that but perhaps it's time to reconsider this whole situation.

If Kevin's story does not involve any of these items, I'd enjoy hearing it. Perhaps it's time for a full blown call-out.

Step up, Keith. Bring your second hand story to the table and let's have a look. :)

Second hand story, lol. Nice work Tom.

Sent from my Commodore 64.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I should probably ask as well does cutting edge do outboard props?

Didn't know yours was an OB...on my Rasoncraft w/2.4 merc I ran the highfive 21 pitch with very good results overall but got best top end (no hole shot) with the 23 pitch chooper...
Not sure my 4 blade would do much for you as OB's are totally different animals than a sterndrive.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Perhaps it's time for a full blown call-out.

I kinda took it like that Tom, coming from you. Every thread you get on is a bash-fest for your enjoyment. This site is nothing more than entertainment for you, where some of us are actually here to make friends and have boating discussions.

I'll see about having Kevin get on here to tell his side, so we get it straight from the horses mouth. BTW, this deal happened when exactly?

I think there are more than a few people on this board that have had good dealings with Kevin and have found him more than fair.

Maybe you're the odd man out, just like your persona here on the board.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I kinda took it like that Tom, coming from you. Every thread you get on is a bash-fest for your enjoyment.

Interesting.

Aren't you the guy who got burned by JSRE and sold that engine down the line to someone else? I recall you telling everyone how good JSRE was, before you ever dealt with him. Afterward, you didn't say a word to other unsuspecting boaters.

Suffice to say, your recommendation isn't all that respected by a couple of us.

Randy treated us in a way that was not honest. He gets to own that.

I'll see about having Kevin get on here to tell his side, so we get it straight from the horses mouth. BTW, this deal happened when exactly?

OK... to be fair, I'm not aware that he has screwed anyone lately.

I think there are more than a few people on this board that have had good dealings with Kevin and have found him more than fair.

I have no doubt some people like Kevin and, further, that some people have been happy with their interaction with him. The issue you're going to have to come to grips with is that it's perfectly OK for you to sing his praises and it's also perfectly OK for me to say he treated my parents in a way that was not appreciated and we certainly will not deal with him again.

Maybe you're the odd man out, just like your persona here on the board.

Maybe. Or, perhaps you're integrity isn't all that high. It seems to come down to an individual's point of view.

:)

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
PROP TALK forum at RDP. I would link this thread in there.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Interesting.

Aren't you the guy who got burned by JSRE and sold that engine down the line to someone else? I recall you telling everyone how good JSRE was, before you ever dealt with him. Afterward, you didn't say a word to other unsuspecting boaters.

Suffice to say, your recommendation isn't all that respected by a couple of us.

Randy treated us in a way that was not honest. He gets to own that.

So who is Randy?

I didn't get burned by JSRE, but I was never all that happy with the power that motor made. Looking back, it may have been tuning as Jay always said, no more than 1200*F EGT, yet my stock 260 runs 1350*F. Who knows what was on the table in that tune.

Didn't sell that motor complete either. Kevin got the rods and pistons, someone else got the block, so check your facts before you call me out. I could honestly care less what YOU think about me as you're just an internet bully with nothing better to do in the frozen tundra than to attack people for your own amusement.

I have no doubt some people like Kevin and, further, that some people have been happy with their interaction with him. The issue you're going to have to come to grips with is that it's perfectly OK for you to sing his praises and it's also perfectly OK for me to say he treated my parents in a way that was not appreciated and we certainly will not deal with him again.

And I'm good with that...but don't make it out to be more than it is. Let's get your story and I'll try to get Kevin on here to post his side. Then the people who are interested can decide.

Maybe. Or, perhaps you're integrity isn't all that high. It seems to come down to an individual's point of view.:)

You're right, it comes down to the individuals' point of view. Coming from you, I could give two shits. You're all about BS anyway. A cross section of your posts shows no real useful information, just BS and jabs at anyone you can for your amusement. That's what you use these message boards for. We are (thankfully) not all like you.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
And I'm good with that...but don't make it out to be more than it is. Let's get your story and I'll try to get Kevin on here to post his side. Then the people who are interested can decide.

Can't you read? My story is here.

We can go into as much detail as desired.

You're right, it comes down to the individuals' point of view. Coming from you, I could give two shits. You're all about BS anyway.

This is an outright lie, Keith. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be mixing it up with me right now.

:)

CuttingEdgePropellers

Reaction score

Thanks

Thanks for notifying me Dave.
The answer to your question is YES, we can re-pitch your propeller up to two pitch sizes up or down and that equates to 400 RPM up or down. That is the Maximum I recommend, any further tends to change the dynamics of the propeller itself and performance will be affected in a negative way. I recommend not going over 1.5 inches of pitch change but we go two pitches all the time with good results. The pitch change will not affect the integrity of the propeller in any way. It will be as strong as ever. Hope that clears this up a bit.
My Best,
Greg Hittner
Cutting Edge propellers
949-701-0900