WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop question

96motorhead

Reaction score
I have an 89 eliminator tahoe 21ft open bow boat with the 330hp 454 and bravo 1 drive. We were out at the lake all last week and we did a few speed runs and I learned that the boat was running at 5300 rpm wot trim full up. Currently the boat has a 23p mirage 3 blade prop and it ran 65 mph consistently. The problem is when my dad bought the boat originally he said he tried a 3 blade 24p and 25p mirage prop and when he took corners sometimes the boat would cavitate really bad. My question is how can I utilize the extra 500-600ish rpm and gain a little bit more top speed but loose the cavitation in the corners? Would upgrading to a 4 blade prop solve this problem?
Thanks in advance

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
How many hours are on the engine? Has 5300 always been max RPM? The reason I ask is a tired engine will struggle to run the RPM it used to when fresh, so if you have a lot of hours on your engine you may want to freshen it up before you start to change the set up.

Typically , depending on slip, a four blade prop of the same pitch will run less RPM than a three blade. As will higher pitch three blade props so it is unlikely you will run higher RPM going to what would be called a bigger prop. Running the numbers on your current prop, guessing a 1.5 to 1 ratio in your Bravo, your at 16% slip, not bad. As far as cavitation you may need to work with a good prop shop that can either recommend a prop or modify one to stop the issue.

I would suggest that you focus on getting your engine tuned up and running at it's best, then find a shop to work with and start trying different props. Some shops have a loaner program where you basically rent the prop until you find one you are happy with.

Good luck.

96motorhead

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I never knew this thread got a response and I forgot about it. I have no idea how many hours the boat has, my dad bought it new back in 1989. The boat sat for a good 15 years in the garage and was never ran which could be good or bad. If I had to take a guess though, it probably has 600hrs but that is a rough guess, and to be honest it was never abused during its life so I don't see it having any mechanical problems. I was basically just wondering if a simple prop change would allow me to pick up a few miles per hour if possible.