WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop question

Snprhed

Reaction score
I wasnt sure where to put this question but I thought I'd start here.

I have an Eliminator 234 project boat that im working on. Just got it in the water recently. It had an unknown size Predator prop. I had people that I trust tell me that this particular prop is junk. So I got some input on here from a previous owner. He gave me a suggestion, and an explanation for a new prop.
When I swapped props the top end was the same, but the boat felt...... looser. Is there a specific tweak that can be done, like adding cup adds bow lift?

Reactions: d4l

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Perhaps a more adequate description of your circumstances may be helpful.

Things such as what power your engine is making your gear ratio your ex Dimension and current prop pitch also how is the boat acting at speed....

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
I wasnt sure where to put this question but I thought I'd start here.

I have an Eliminator 234 project boat that im working on. Just got it in the water recently. It had an unknown size Predator prop. I had people that I trust tell me that this particular prop is junk. So I got some input on here from a previous owner. He gave me a suggestion, and an explanation for a new prop.
When I swapped props the top end was the same, but the boat felt...... looser. Is there a specific tweak that can be done, like adding cup adds bow lift?
To answer the vague question that you posed, a proper response would be try a different one?

Snprhed

Reaction score
I am in a performance boating desert here. I have a semi-local prop shop that is supposed to do good work, so I thought I may try adjusting this one first.

To answer some of the other questions. It has the 375hp 496 Mag. Bravo 1 has 1.50 gear ratio. The prop is a Mercury Revolution 4, that is a 23 pitch.

The boat will get up to 4800-4900 rpms, without hitting the limiter, so the pitch seems right on. The rev 4 seems a little less stable than the old prop across the rpm spectrum. Not dangerous loose, but its just not as stable feeling.

Snprhed

Reaction score
Also X-dimension is high on these boats. Ideal is probably a -2 shorty lower unit.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Try a bravo 1 24 it will be your best bet. The 23p Rev rides a lot different on my boat compared to the B1 24.

Snprhed

Reaction score
Try a bravo 1 24 it will be your best bet. The 23p Rev rides a lot different on my boat compared to the B1 24.

Could you explain how the Rev 4 is different? Also what is your boat?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
They are just different props all around. The Bravo is the highest selling prop for a reason, it’s the best, best overall prop there is. The rev 4 has its places it shines the trophy has its places etc. however most boats with docile power just react best to the Bravo.

As he said I’d try a Bravo 24p and see how that works prior to spending lab money on the rev 4

Runs2rch

Reaction score
They are just different props all around. The Bravo is the highest selling prop for a reason, it’s the best, best overall prop there is. The rev 4 has its places it shines the trophy has its places etc. however most boats with docile power just react best to the Bravo.

As he said I’d try a Bravo 24p and see how that works prior to spending lab money on the rev 4

Well that is a terrible explanation of these props..

Hull design, weight, and power all play a role in prop selection as well as the intended use.

Depending on these things, throw in x dimension, and gear ratio.

Rev 4 is an overall lifting prop, a Bravo 1 is a stern lifter.

NicPaus

Reaction score
The boat rides higher. I use it when I got a full load. Otherwise I use a bravo 1. Cobra 260. I have bought 8 different props to try on this boat. I kept a 22,24 and labbed 26 b1 and a 23 rev I use depending on load.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
The boat rides higher. I use it when I got a full load. Otherwise I use a bravo 1. Cobra 260. I have bought 8 different props to try on this boat. I kept a 22,24 and labbed 26 b1 and a 23 rev I use depending on load.
I recommended a B-1 24 a couple weeks ago on his original thread. ;) I tried several props a few years ago when I too thought I was going find some magic prop,:D but always ended up come back to the B-1. I also have a 26 but it's really too big except in the winter with 1 other person and I have an H.O. I've thought about labbing the 26, but I'm too cheap and don't worry about WOT and top speed that much anymore.:D

Snprhed

Reaction score
I recommended a B-1 24 a couple weeks ago on his original thread. ;) I tried several props a few years ago when I too thought I was going find some magic prop,:D but always ended up come back to the B-1. I also have a 26 but it's really too big except in the winter with 1 other person and I have an H.O. I've thought about labbing the 26, but I'm too cheap and don't worry about WOT and top speed that much anymore.:D

Im not really sure why people keep suggesting a stern lifting prop for an air entrapment boat. The bravo 1 is a good (safe) all around prop but Im really not sure it is the best option here. Im not looking for a magic prop, Im looking for the right prop.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I think the Rev lifts the stern more than a Bravo. Have you tried a Bravo 1 prop?

Snprhed

Reaction score
If its stern lifting the bow goes down, BBlades describes the rev4 as their highest bow lifting prop.

Im pretty sure the rev 4 is not stern lifting

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Im not really sure why people keep suggesting a stern lifting prop for an air entrapment boat. The bravo 1 is a good (safe) all around prop but Im really not sure it is the best option here. Im not looking for a magic prop, Im looking for the right prop.
I realize your boat's bottom is unique, but Daytona's are also air entrapment and the most widely used prop on Daytona's direct from Eliminator are Bravo 1 series, at least in the moderate H.P. range.

NicPaus

Reaction score
The whole boat rides higher with my Rev prop. If you don't think a bravo will work try a mirage, tempest or trophy but don't think they will perform as good as a bravo.

hallett21

Reaction score
If you want to lift the bow, Trophy, Chopper, Bravo 1xs (factory removal of diffuser ring)

Need a baseline of what you’re getting out of the current prop.

Speed and accompany RPMs.

Attitude of the boat and required trim input.

Are you after top end, midrange cruising, hole shot? A little bit of everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snprhed

Reaction score
68mph @ 4800rpm
the nose of the boat rides moderately high
Trim level is moderate

All around performance is preferred.

Part of the problem is I have zero experience with this boat.

Also I was just doing some more research, I didnt realize they were 20 different types of Bravo 1 prop. It sounds like the B1 XS and B1OC may be good options

hallett21

Reaction score
68mph @ 4800rpm
the nose of the boat rides moderately high
Trim level is moderate

All around performance is preferred.

Part of the problem is I have zero experience with this boat.

Also I was just doing some more research, I didnt realize they were 20 different types of Bravo 1 prop. It sounds like the B1 XS and B1OC may be good options

When you trim up are you seeing a significant increase in speed?

Or are you trimming to raise RPMS?

Are you experiencing any bow steer at neutral trim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snprhed

Reaction score
I typically trim for efficiency. I never run at say 3k rpm with no or not enough trim. Im not sure what bow steer is....