WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop Question?

legend14

Reaction score
Any insight appreciated! Having a Howard 288 built, and would like to know what the benefit of a 5 Blade Maximus Lap prop does? Or a Lab finished prop?? Any performance improvement? Is one worth getting for a Mercury 600SCI with the XR drive??
Thanks

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’ve heard Howard supplies a Maximus wheel with the new boats, and is pitch and diameter based upon the over all build.
I have it in my garage currently need to get back to him but Chris Leach from I Wear Sunglasses has a like new perfect Maximus 5 blade 15.25” diameter 28p he’s selling.

Teague_JR

Reaction score
Remember that Max 5 and Maximus are completely different props. They are based on the same casing but the blades are cut very differently. I believe Max 5 is what Howard is using and they are an excellent catamaran propeller. Worth the upcharge.

legend14

Reaction score
Remember that Max 5 and Maximus are completely different props. They are based on the same casing but the blades are cut very differently. I believe Max 5 is what Howard is using and they are an excellent catamaran propeller. Worth the upcharge.
I see, but what does it do for the boat to make it better?? Plane better? Go faster? Less stress on engine and drive??

Mcchevy69ss

Reaction score
I see, but what does it do for the boat to make it better?? Plane better? Go faster? Less stress on engine and drive??
More efficient overall, much better cruise and midrange. Definitely better prop to get on plane with, but for all out top speed the correct 4 blade will edge it out on the top end. Because of the traction a 5 blade gets, it is harder on the drive.

legend14

Reaction score
More efficient overall, much better cruise and midrange. Definitely better prop to get on plane with, but for all out top speed the correct 4 blade will edge it out on the top end. Because of the traction a 5 blade gets, it is harder on the drive.
Thanks for reply! I hear as long as you ease into the throttle you should be fine on the drive.