WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop question.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Hey guys I bought my boat and the owner said he propped it down because his son ski's alot and I am thinking of going from a 22p bravo 1 to a 23p revolution because I think a 24p prop might be too much prop for a 25ft tremor and a 454 mag. Whats the difference between the bravo 1 4 blade being 15 1/4" diameter and the revolution 4 blade being 14 5/8"? I just wanted to know what the difference in diameter effects.

Last edited:

Xtreme1

Reaction score
Buy my Whipple kit in the SPAM section and ill give ya a 28 p to go with it.. Trust me you will need it:D

Trash

Reaction score
If the two props were identical, which I know they aren't, the smaller diameter propeller would turn more rpm. The problem is comparing a Bravo 1 with a Revolution as the two blade designs are very different.

The Bravo 1 would work better with slightly raised X-dimension as the larger diameter helps it swing a bigger arc and get a little deeper in the water. I think you're on the right track with trying a 23" Revolution. You would have 4 blades to hold the load of your boat and a slightly smaller blade diameter to get the rpm's up where you need them.

As a point of reference I've got two Mach propellers, both 14" in diameter. One is the 4 blade 18" pitch Sterndrive model and the other is a 20" pitch Patriot. The Patriot actually turns a higher rpm in spite of the additional two inches of pitch and same diameter. However it really isn't faster. It has 4 square inches less total blade area, much thinner blades, and much more rake. So it has less drag and will turn a higher rpm but slips more in the process.

Not sure if that helped at all.

Xtreme1

Reaction score
Gr8white... My 24 Lavey spun a 24 bravo to 5200 with a 454 mag (stock).. Hole shot was less than desireable(sp) when fully loaded.. I tried a 23 revolution and didnt like it much The prop has a larger ear amd seemed to over load the engine. Definetly try as many as possible I think a 24 bravo would work well for you with an average say 3-4 person load..

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
If the two props were identical, which I know they aren't, the smaller diameter propeller would turn more rpm. The problem is comparing a Bravo 1 with a Revolution as the two blade designs are very different.

The Bravo 1 would work better with slightly raised X-dimension as the larger diameter helps it swing a bigger arc and get a little deeper in the water. I think you're on the right track with trying a 23" Revolution. You would have 4 blades to hold the load of your boat and a slightly smaller blade diameter to get the rpm's up where you need them.

As a point of reference I've got two Mach propellers, both 14" in diameter. One is the 4 blade 18" pitch Sterndrive model and the other is a 20" pitch Patriot. The Patriot actually turns a higher rpm in spite of the additional two inches of pitch and same diameter. However it really isn't faster. It has 4 square inches less total blade area, much thinner blades, and much more rake. So it has less drag and will turn a higher rpm but slips more in the process.

Not sure if that helped at all.

The 23p revolution is still a 4 blade prop but is 14 5/8 diameter and the bravo prop 22p is a 4 blade 15 1/4 diameter.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Gr8white... My 24 Lavey spun a 24 bravo to 5200 with a 454 mag (stock).. Hole shot was less than desireable(sp) when fully loaded.. I tried a 23 revolution and didnt like it much The prop has a larger ear amd seemed to over load the engine. Definetly try as many as possible I think a 24 bravo would work well for you with an average say 3-4 person load..

I have seen a couple threads on here of people with tremor's saying that a 23p 4 blade worked the best for them. But the only 23p I can find is a revolution prop.

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Buy my Whipple kit in the SPAM section and ill give ya a 28 p to go with it.. Trust me you will need it:D

Don't think my bravo 1 would not be too happy with over 600hp.:skull Honestly I might end up refreshing the 454 and run a procharger on low boost, might even have to upgrade to an XR drive. But then again I can't remember how much power you can run before you need hydraulic steering.

Last edited:

Phebus

Past Poster.
Reaction score
I have seen a couple threads on here of people with tremor's saying that a 23p 4 blade worked the best for them. But the only 23p I can find is a revolution prop.

They used to deliver the Tremors with the Revolution prop. Had a friend with a 25' and he asked about a Bravo instead and they told him that all their testing proved that the Revolution worked better on that hull.
Bravo props come in even increments, where the Revolution comes in odd. You won't find a 23P Bravo.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Could I have the 22p bravo 1 prop labbed to be more of a 23p prop? Or is it best to just get a new prop and keep the 22 as a spare?

Phebus

Past Poster.
Reaction score
It's more then just pitch that makes a particular prop work better then others. The Revolution and Bravo have different properties as far as bow lift or transom lift, and therefore one will work better then the other on a particular hull.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Hey guys I bought my boat and the owner said he propped it down because his son ski's alot and I am thinking of going from a 22p bravo 1 to a 23p revolution because I think a 24p prop might be too much prop for a 25ft tremor and a 454 mag. Whats the difference between the bravo 1 4 blade being 15 1/4" diameter and the revolution 4 blade being 14 5/8"? I just wanted to know what the difference in diameter effects.

What's your maximum RPMs now? Can you easily get to red line?

dancudmore

Reaction score
They used to deliver the Tremors with the Revolution prop. Had a friend with a 25' and he asked about a Bravo instead and they told him that all their testing proved that the Revolution worked better on that hull.
Bravo props come in even increments, where the Revolution comes in odd. You won't find a 23P Bravo.

dont know how correct the 23 Revolution is with the 454 (pretty close I would think) but RCDave (formerly known as rivercrazy) tried about 85 different props on his 25' Tremor (2002 model I believe) and decided the 23 Rev-4 was the overall winner. There used to be a very detailed write up on the differences of how the boat reacted with different wheels.
I had an 04 Cheetah 29' with a 496HO (man time flies, that was 7 frickin' years ago!!) and found the 23 Rev was the winner on it as well...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
dont know how correct the 23 Revolution is with the 454 (pretty close I would think) but RCDave (formerly known as rivercrazy) tried about 85 different props on his 25' Tremor (2002 model I believe) and decided the 23 Rev-4 was the overall winner. There used to be a very detailed write up on the differences of how the boat reacted with different wheels.
I had an 04 Cheetah 29' with a 496HO (man time flies, that was 7 frickin' years ago!!) and found the 23 Rev was the winner on it as well...

Was that on here??

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You can take your 22 and add some cup to it which will reduce transom lift and make it a 23.. I run a 22/24 bravo. A 23 revolution and finally a 24 trophy. My boat runs the best with the trophy. I like the very limited slip of the 23 rev.. Bravos work so/so on my boat.

I can let u try any of those if you are ever in Parker.

RD

RCDave

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm still around these parts and have my 2002 25 Tremor with a 496HO (its currently for sale).

I tried the following on my boat:

24P Bravo 1 (stock and labbed)

23P Rev-4 (stock but tuned)

25P Mirage Plus (labbed 3 blade)

As far as overall drivability, the Rev-4 is the best prop. It creates more bow lift than the Bravo-1 and consequently better ride in the rough. It also results in better top end by 1-3 mph. Crusing speeds are also more efficient. My boat runs 55mph at 4,000rpm properly trimmed. The bravo would do only about 50-52mph at that rpm. The bravo-1 is slightly better out of the hole.

I also tried a labbed bravo-1. It was a rocket out of the hole and top speed was about the same as a stock rev-4. But I lost crusing efficiency. Even labbed, the lack of bow lift made the boat's ride rougher. The bow would hit waves that with the rev-4 it was crusing right over.

The Mirage produced the best top end (72.8mph on GPS). It cruised very efficiently. The downside to this prop is less bit in the turns and I could blow out the prop coming out of the hole.

The 496HO does put out more HP and Torque than a 454 mag mpi. Not sure the 23P Rev-4 is too much prop. You could turn down a 23P to gain more rpm if that prop is too much for the motor. In my opinion, the best prop guy around is York Propellers over in Placentia, ca.

Last edited:

BajaMike

Reaction score

What is your maximum RPM? From what the others have said, it sounds like you are propped just right like it is. If you ever want to pull a skier or load up your boat, it's good as is.

It's better to be under propped than over propped.

RCDave

Reaction score
forgot to mention that the 496HO would turn all those props between 5100-5200 rpm

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
What is your maximum RPM? From what the others have said, it sounds like you are propped just right like it is. If you ever want to pull a skier or load up your boat, it's good as is.

It's better to be under propped than over propped.

Sorry I was at the river all weekend:D. When the tach isn't freaking out lol I can hit 5000 rpm no problem but hasn't seemed to bounce of the limiter at all. Is there anywhere you can try a prop before you buy one? Thanks Dave but I have never been to parker, I am always up by needles (parents house) how much would it be to get it cupped to a 23 dave? I wonder what the other prop was that the guy took off the boat was?

RCDave

Reaction score
If I was in your position, I try and buy a used 23P Rev-4 and try it out. Most likely it will be a little too much prop for the 454 Mag. But this prop in my opinion is the best one available for the Tremor.

Then take that prop to York and tell him what you have. He will return the prop to you and the boat will run better than ever.

If my boat wasn't for sale, I'd let you try out my 23P Rev-4. I do have a 21P Rev-4 you can try if you want. I used this prop for skiing, wakeboarding, etc. With a 496HO its a rocket out of the hole and accelerates hard. But I would hit the rev limiter with it.

Last edited:

Trash

Reaction score
RCDave,

If he doesn't want to try the 21" Rev 4 I wouldn't mind giving it a shot since I just repowered. PM me if you are willing.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
If I was in your position, I try and buy a used 23P Rev-4 and try it out. Most likely it will be a little too much prop for the 454 Mag. But this prop in my opinion is the best one available for the Tremor.

Then take that prop to York and tell him what you have. He will return the prop to you and the boat will run better than ever.

If my boat wasn't for sale, I'd let you try out my 23P Rev-4. I do have a 21P Rev-4 you can try if you want. I used this prop for skiing, wakeboarding, etc. With a 496HO its a rocket out of the hole and accelerates hard. But I would hit the rev limiter with it.

I have a line on a used 23p revolution and its a little nicked up so maybe I will buy it and have it worked over. How much does it usually cost to have York "massage" one?

RCDave

Reaction score
I have a line on a used 23p revolution and its a little nicked up so maybe I will buy it and have it worked over. How much does it usually cost to have York "massage" one?

Not totally sure. He charged me a about $200-250 (I don't remember for sure) to blueprint / lab a prop for me.

SamMaxco

Reaction score

Hi there RCDave
I stumbled across this post looking for the answer to my own prop issue. I have a new to me 2001 Hallett 210 OB, I’m all stock w/240 original hours, Running a factory stock Blue Scorpion 377 with Bravo one 1.51 gears with a Rev 4 23pitch. Light load properly trimmed I’m 46-4800 rpm wot at 60 mph. Tops.
I hear other guys saying with same exact setup only running a Rev 4 -21 pitch they’re going 68-72 mph with similar light load. Shouldn’t my boat be faster? Even the old ads say it’s 68 mph stick with a 454HO which I believe is less power than my blue scorpion?
It seems to run and ride perfectly, aside from the 60mph wot and the holeshot is just ok, not anything special , but not a dog. Not a miss or hiccup, runs smooth as it should. Only seems that motor drive hull combo should be WOT at 5200 rpm running 68-70 mph? Would you have the 23 p Rev 4 that it came with worked or would you go with a Rev 4 - 21pitch?
tomorrow im going to try the bravo 1 - 22 pitch it came with as an extra. I don’t think the B1 will be better anywhere. But it’s paid for so I’m gonna try it.

So, work the 23 Rev 4 or get a 21 pitchRev4, if the bravo doesn’t give me what I think it should do?
I want more holeshot for pulling skiers and more top speed and rpm at WOT.
Am I asking too much. Thanks in advance. I really hope u have time to share your thoughts.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I had a 21 Schiada with the same motor.. the 23 revolution was a great cruising prop and mid range had unreal speed vs rpm.. I want to say 3600 rpm was like 50 mph? If I remember right anyways. That said I could never get big numbers out of that prop on my Schiada either.. low to mid 60’s..

With a Bravo I could run mid 60’s.. with my favorite little trophy I could run low 70’s, but it’s sucked everywhere else.. lol

if you are in Parker or Havasu I have a bunch of props in the size range you are looking for that you will want to try and it won’t cost ya anything.

My .02 is do not work the revolution.. keep trying different props till you find one that works and keep the rev as a cruise prop

GregG

Reaction score
Should be interesting to see if the Scorp 377 can swing the bigger diameter Bravo prop even though you dropped down one pitch. A motors torque plays a big roll in speed. Post up the results on the Bravo. Also Q4's are identical to Rev 4 props just Quicksilver branding.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Should be interesting to see if the Scorp 377 can swing the bigger diameter Bravo prop even though you dropped down one pitch. A motors torque plays a big roll in speed. Post up the results on the Bravo. Also Q4's are identical to Rev 4 props just Quicksilver branding.

On mine the Bravo always had higher RPM's (although the prop never worked right with the boat).. but low end and mid range the Revolution killed the bravo.. The Rev also made the boat feel like it was another 3 inches out of the water when it was running over any other prop I ever had? (Felt the same way on multiple boats..). I always attributed that to geometry and just sheer "volume" of propeller spinning behind the boat lifting the entire program up. That prop was "heavy" to say the least.

I never took the time to measure one, but I had always assumed the Revolution was a much bigger diameter prop then the bravo? To that point when I'd put the prop stop to tighten the nut on the prop shaft, the bravo's seemed much smaller?

Are we 100% sure about these diameters? In my feeble mind the 2 revolutions I had were actually larger in diameter than the Bravo's I have?

I mean I could be wrong as I haven't have a revolution in several years since I sold it to @fishing fool... but I swear the 4 blade revolution I'm talking about is a monster compared to a Bravo? Let alone a small diameter like a trophy or something.

RD

RCDave

Reaction score
Hi there RCDave
I stumbled across this post looking for the answer to my own prop issue. I have a new to me 2001 Hallett 210 OB, I’m all stock w/240 original hours, Running a factory stock Blue Scorpion 377 with Bravo one 1.51 gears with a Rev 4 23pitch. Light load properly trimmed I’m 46-4800 rpm wot at 60 mph. Tops.
I hear other guys saying with same exact setup only running a Rev 4 -21 pitch they’re going 68-72 mph with similar light load. Shouldn’t my boat be faster? Even the old ads say it’s 68 mph stick with a 454HO which I believe is less power than my blue scorpion?
It seems to run and ride perfectly, aside from the 60mph wot and the holeshot is just ok, not anything special , but not a dog. Not a miss or hiccup, runs smooth as it should. Only seems that motor drive hull combo should be WOT at 5200 rpm running 68-70 mph? Would you have the 23 p Rev 4 that it came with worked or would you go with a Rev 4 - 21pitch?
tomorrow im going to try the bravo 1 - 22 pitch it came with as an extra. I don’t think the B1 will be better anywhere. But it’s paid for so I’m gonna try it.

So, work the 23 Rev 4 or get a 21 pitchRev4, if the bravo doesn’t give me what I think it should do?
I want more holeshot for pulling skiers and more top speed and rpm at WOT.
Am I asking too much. Thanks in advance. I really hope u have time to share your thoughts.

Sounds like a 23 Rev 4 is a little too much pitch for the engine in the hallet. I'd look for a 21p rev4 or a 22p bravo. Not sure if a mirage + would be better on that hull. 3 blades are typically less efficient than 4 blades but might be faster on the top end.

SamMaxco

Reaction score
On mine the Bravo always had higher RPM's (although the prop never worked right with the boat).. but low end and mid range the Revolution killed the bravo.. The Rev also made the boat feel like it was another 3 inches out of the water when it was running over any other prop I ever had? (Felt the same way on multiple boats..). I always attributed that to geometry and just sheer "volume" of propeller spinning behind the boat lifting the entire program up. That prop was "heavy" to say the least.

I never took the time to measure one, but I had always assumed the Revolution was a much bigger diameter prop then the bravo? To that point when I'd put the prop stop to tighten the nut on the prop shaft, the bravo's seemed much smaller?

Are we 100% sure about these diameters? In my feeble mind the 2 revolutions I had were actually larger in diameter than the Bravo's I have?

I mean I could be wrong as I haven't have a revolution in several years since I sold it to @fishing fool... but I swear the 4 blade revolution I'm talking about is a monster compared to a Bravo? Let alone a small diameter like a trophy or something.

RD
[/QUOTE

you guys are a huge help. I have some reporting on everything we have talked about.

so first off I ran my Hallett 210 WOT trimmed with 1/2 tank fuel and only myself and my teenage daughter I'm 250 lbs and she 120lbs
trimmed up to where the boat would start porpoising and then trimmed down slightly till stopped but was running nice and dry, WOT with the rev 4 23p
it turned right at 4600 rpm and the faria speedo read 61 mph flat out. motor seemed like it was not even breaking a sweat
but that is all I could get! that was tuesday

Thursday almost identical weather and temp hot 100 degrees
fuel was about the same 1/2 tank. the one difference in the boat was I had three other guys with me, so say another 600lbs, sorry I couldn't avoid that part of the test, but listen. with the extra weight and the Bravo 1 22p, WOT the boat speedo read 55mph exact {61 with rev4 23 } and that was all it went. Here's the thing, RPMs were 4900/5000 and the GPS handheld device my buddy had this time said 61 mph - 60.7 - 60.4 and 61.2

the bottom end was gone- if I hammered it out of the hole it would cavitate or blow out so I had to ease off,
cruising rpm was 2-3 hundred rpm higher to achieve 40 mph on the speedo

so all around, the Rev 4 IMO was way more usable. more even power delivery at lower RPMs and it seemed to turn better and ride over small chop more smoothly. if I turned harder on the gas the bravo 1 22 p prop would cavitate noticeably more than the rev 4.

so, my take away is, if my speedo with the B1 22p said 55, but the GPS said 60 .
should I assume that when the rev 4 23p got me 61 on the speedo I was really doing 65 at lower RPM than the B1 got me to 6o?

if I have to choose its the REV 4 no doubt based on everything, Seems like I need to spend the money on a Rev 4 21 pitch to really be optimal. both rev 4 21 and 23 are same exact diameter, just different pitch. so I'm hoping that the 21Rev 4 would get me to 5000 rpm wot and keep all the features I like about the 23 rev4 and hopefully increase bottom end acceleration and top as well. I'm thinking, and hoping?

am I just wishing or does this make sense or seem familiar?

SamMaxco

Reaction score
Sounds like a 23 Rev 4 is a little too much pitch for the engine in the hallet. I'd look for a 21p rev4 or a 22p bravo. Not sure if a mirage + would be better on that hull. 3 blades are typically less efficient than 4 blades but might be faster on the top end.
you guys are a huge help. I have some reporting on everything we have talked about.

so first off I ran my Hallett 210 WOT trimmed with 1/2 tank fuel and only myself and my teenage daughter I'm 250 lbs and she 120lbs
trimmed up to where the boat would start porpoising and then trimmed down slightly till stopped but was running nice and dry, WOT with the rev 4 23p
it turned right at 4600 rpm and the faria speedo read 61 mph flat out. motor seemed like it was not even breaking a sweat

fuel was about the same 1/2 tank. the one difference in the boat was I had three other guys with me, so say another 600lbs, sorry I couldn't avoid that part of the test, but listen. with the extra weight and the Bravo 1 22p, WOT the boat speedo read 55mph exact {61 with rev4 23 } and that was all it went. Here's the thing, RPMs were 4900/5000 and the GPS handheld device my buddy had this time said 61 mph - 60.7 - 60.4 and 61.2

the bottom end was gone- if I hammered it out of the hole it would cavitate or blow out so I had to ease off,

so all around, the Rev 4 IMO was way more usable. more even power delivery at lower RPMs and it seemed to turn better and ride over small chop more smoothly. if I turned harder on the gas the bravo 1 22 p prop would cavitate noticeably more than the rev 4.

so, my take away is, if my speedo with the B1 22p said 55, but the GPS said 60 .
should I assume that when the rev 4 23p got me 61 on the speedo I was really doing 65 at lower RPM than the B1 got me to 6o?

if I have to choose its the REV 4 no doubt based on everything, Seems like I need to spend the money on a Rev 4 21 pitch to really be optimal. both rev 4 21 and 23 are same exact diameter, just different pitch. so I'm hoping that the 21Rev 4 would get me to 5000 rpm wot and keep all the features I like about the 23 rev4 and hopefully increase bottom end acceleration and top as well. I'm thinking, and hoping?

Report Edit Delete

SamMaxco

Reaction score

Report Edit Delete

SamMaxco

Reaction score
im pretty sure the 21p rev 4 will work better, I hate to spend 800 to find out but I think I will. drive ratio is the 1.51 something? sorry I'm trying to learn but it a lot. all good fun though!!

thanks again!!

SamMaxco

Reaction score
The video is with the Bravo 1. Not nearly as drivable in chop as the Rev 4. I’m learning to tab down. The surf boats recked the Easter that. Day and it wasn’t as extreme as the video looks. At least it didn’t feel like it was on any edge. I got out of it cause it was so damn rough. Hope this helps diagnose

6930E8C9-B7A0-4194-B65D-BC7168B1F47F.jpeg
53E0C2BB-E858-4BEA-B72C-96BB74314803.jpeg
CDD56B3E-DE96-4817-B10F-02870A65D05F.png

Last edited:

GregG

Reaction score
Look around for used Rev 4 or a Quicksilver Q4 first. You might catch a break. I have found them over the years.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

RD
The Bravo1's are 15.25" diameter and the Rev4 is only 14.625. I don't know how the 2 compare in rake to eachother which could account for the additional transom lift from the Rev4.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
The Bravo1's are 15.25" diameter and the Rev4 is only 14.625. I don't know how the 2 compare in rake to eachother which could account for the additional transom lift from the Rev4.

The rev4 is all bow lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The rev4 is all bow lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually at neutral trim it will create more stern lift due to the elongated barrel of the prop. It does however increase the effectiveness of trim due to that prop barrel so if trimmed slightly positive it could help carry the new se better.

SamMaxco

Reaction score
After all the trying and wondering it came down to this.

the Rev is far and away my choice over the bravo 1

We got a garmin gps and went over them
Both again.
The Faria Speedo is actually slow by 5-6
mph.
The boat definitely rides better with the Rev 4. Slightly trimming up is perfect.
47-4800 rpm the boat was hitting 67-68 with trim indicating +2 /2.5 smooth and dry. No tabs. 3/4 tank and 5 people.

the B1 is 61 max at 5000 rpm and does not carry the bow as easily or as
Confidently as the Rev. Neither have great holeshot with this combo. But the Rev is acceptable. Cruise speed is also higher at lower rpm on the Rev 4. For the Hallett with Blue scorpion 377 in my cause it’s the Rev 4.
I always said it was running great and felt faster than 60. It is. I’m glad and thanks for all the help and Advice.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    32.8 MB

relaxalot

Reaction score
I have been in many of the Shockwave Tremors with the Revolution 23 pitch. All of them ran great

oldschool

Reaction score

Both again.
mph.
The boat definitely rides better with the Rev 4. Slightly trimming up is perfect.
47-4800 rpm the boat was hitting 67-68 with trim indicating +2 /2.5 smooth and dry. No tabs. 3/4 tank and 5 people.

Confidently as the Rev. Neither have great holeshot with this combo. But the Rev is acceptable. Cruise speed is also higher at lower rpm on the Rev 4. For the Hallett with Blue scorpion 377 in my cause it’s the Rev 4.
I always said it was running great and felt faster than 60. It is. I’m glad and thanks for all the help and Advice.
I think we need to do more testing.

RCDave

Reaction score

Both again.
mph.

That's exactly what I experienced with the rev over the bravo in a 25 shockwave tremor.