WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop Rotation, Testing Props, Reverse/Forward?

Halvecto

Reaction score
Anybody ever run their boat in "reverse" to use a prop that is the opposite rotation of your current set-up? Is there a problem with running the boat in "reverse" with a prop that in fact moves forward? It would seem to be very doable with a foot throttle, although a hand throttle would just be a bit of a strange feeling. I may have a chance to test a prop, but it is a RH to my current LH set-up.

I am sure it could be done in an emergency and it is possible to switch the linkage in the top drive to allow the rotation to change. I am wondering if anyone actually did this for an extended period of time and ran at speed. The linkage determines the direction of the driveshaft, but does the final shaft care which direction it turns? I realize their are some load bearings that would get pressure opposite of their design. I know on mine, the top bearing is said to better handle a "pull" vs a "push" in pressure. Not a long term plan.

Curious.

Last edited:

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
All the boats with twins do it do no big deal

Cdog

Reaction score
I run a L hand rotation prop on my 21 Howard RC. I was trying to tune out some weird handling issues and went from a 19p R 3 blade to a 22 B1 L prop. I tested the prop to see if that was the fix before changing at the shifter. The Merc throttle seems a little more steep and short when using reverse for the throttle. After the test I swapped the linkage. No problems yet...

Halvecto

Reaction score
That's helpful. I have a foot throttle, so the throw of the shifter won't affect me. When able, I'll give it a go and test the property and handling.

Mine is a Volvo drive. They call RH standard rotation but most boats running decent HP turn a LH. Larger pitch props in general are hard to come by, so before getting one custom, I want to try the OEM Volvo and I may have a chance on a RH.
I run a L hand rotation prop on my 21 Howard RC. I was trying to tune out some weird handling issues and went from a 19p R 3 blade to a 22 B1 L prop. I tested the prop to see if that was the fix before changing at the shifter. The Merc throttle seems a little more steep and short when using reverse for the throttle. After the test I swapped the linkage. No problems yet...

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
It can definitely be done. However you have to realize the danger while docking or maneuvering around other boats and people. Thinking "backwards" in a quick reacting situation can be really dangerous. I would never do it.

Halvecto

Reaction score
It can definitely be done. However you have to realize the danger while docking or maneuvering around other boats and people. Thinking "backwards" in a quick reacting situation can be really dangerous. I would never do it.

I hadn't thought of that. In reality, I might just run it once for a test run. Considering your comment, you're right, in even a semi-quick moment natural instinct would kick in.

bjf66

Reaction score
Putting gearbox in reverse and using LH prop sounds interesting

I have 21’ ski boat shoe horning TT 502, crash gearbox, parallel drive connected to ASD6 Arneson into boat and have a selection of LH props with slightly different pitches compared to the RH props that were going to run

Would be interesting to make comparison between running LH vs RH in approx 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmo83

Reaction score
I believe there was a Howard Offshore on here that had serious handling issues and did this and it calmed the boat down quite a bit.

bjf66

Reaction score
Just found out Daytona crash gearbox won’t run in reverse with full power

Back to drawing board running RH props

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk