WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop shaft queestion

riverman140

Lower River Outboards
Reaction score
The prop shaft on my merc 200 is bent, it has a very slight wobble to it, very small, can it be repaired or do i need to replace it? and what can i expect it to cost me? reguardless it's going to the shop tomorrow afternoon, but i would like to get kind of an idea for whats in store, any help would be great
RM

ace one

Reaction score
the shaft retails for $489.00.....:eek:

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
If it's the older shaft with alpha size splines, they aren't hard to find used. In fact, I probably have a couple laying around but any service shop should have a bunch on the shelf.

Of course, if you want a new one, that's possible too.

They are a wear item in that the rear bearing is a needle bearing that runs right on the shaft. If you pick up a used shaft, make sure the surface is good where the shaft is inside the bearing carrier. You can put a whole lot of hours on that part, though. A properly lubricated prop shaft should last a long, long time.

Oh yeah... I've done that swap myself. Actually, I've rebuilt gear cases myself. The prop shaft swap is easy because you shouldn't have to shim. You might want to check the backlash, though. The point here is, you shim the case, not the components in it. Since you aren't changing cases, you are good to go.