WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop shaft seal bushing

MohaveChuck

Reaction score
prop shaft seal.jpg View attachment 251255 View attachment 251256 View attachment 251257
I was doing my annual prop shaft seal replacement and found the bushing at the end of my prop shaft if front of the strut.

I thought I got it from Rex Marine and it looks like the 390-189 but is chromed.

The bushing in not brass like the aqua lube bushings I've replaced in the strut.

I guess I should have T'd off my water dump and ran some water in the seal. But it did last more than a few years.

Is there a replacement bushing? Can't find one. Can I press a brass aqua lube type in? Or am I buying a new seal?

Chuck

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Hey Chuck! Long time!

I'm kinda confused. Are you saying that the bushing on the right slid out of the seal on the left? I'd bet that the bushing on the right slid out of the front side of the strut. I always cut the bushing in half and put half at the front of the strut and half at the back.

I have a similar propshaft seal in the Howard and to the best of memory, it doesn't have a separate bushing in it.

Send a PM to Rexone here and maybe he'll respond. If not, call Rex tomorrow.

Carl

steveo143

Reaction score
There are some that use a bushing in them, same as the strut bushing, Rex has them.

Dave Sammons

Reaction score
Call Rex or Bergeron.
Tell them you need a 1 inch Micarta bearing.
Make sure you give them the OD on the one you have as they do come in different diameters.
Yeah and get some water to it!

MohaveChuck

Reaction score
Thanks Dave.

HI Carl,
Yea first thing I thought was it was the front strut bearing that I replaced a couple years ago but no it was still there.

This prop seal bushing/bearing is not brass so that was my first clue.

I'm calling Rex Marine tomorrow and see what they have.

Thanks again all,

Chuck

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
If that bushing came out of your stuffing box (not the front of the strut), spend the dough and get one of Dimarco 21's bearing fitted prop shaft box. Definately the best around, bar none.

Reaction score
If that bushing came out of your stuffing box (not the front of the strut), spend the dough and get one of DiMarco 21's bearing fitted prop shaft box. Definitely the best around, bar none.
X2 I bought one of DiMarco's shaft seals after rebuilding the stock one at least 6 times. Best one for the money. 2 pumps from the grease gun and no water drips. Have 80 hours on it and no issues. Next rudder box.

AFUEL7067

Reaction score
I have ran every type and brand available and the water cooled unit Casale sells has been the only one that has been 100 percent trouble free .