WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prop Talk Forum

CuttingEdgePropellers

Reaction score
If I can answer any questions for you folks here, Provide service, or maybe just begin some discussions on propellers for your rides, Dave just opened the
"Prop Talk" forum.
My Best,
Greg Hittner
Cutting Edge Propellers
949-701-0900

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Got any Chopper II's or ET's in the 28-30 range? Or other suggestions? I need fat shaft so older Choppers won't work. I have been using a 28 Spinelli 4 blade and got 90 so far.

Lavey 20.2 Sebring Tunnel - 280 com with 12" set back.

Attachments

• DSC_0262quarter.jpg
    DSC_0262quarter.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 150

garygbnj

Reaction score
Have you had any experience with high performance tritoons? 2008 Manitou Oasis, 2014 Evinrude 250 HO E-Tec. 5725 rpm @ 56 mph. Rpm varies according to ambient temperature. 5750 is the desired rpm for best performance. Present prop is 20" lab finished Mercury Mirage Plus and cmc electric transom jack. Best top speed is with the jack almost all the way down and the trim almost all of the way up. Great acceleration, holds decently in corners, good top speed. Any thoughts for better top end but still retain acceleration and cornering?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
He sold the business a year or so ago so he isn't on the forum any longer.

RD

Wolly42608

Reaction score
I have a baker sport tunnel with a johnson 275, I am wanting a nice handling prop for just cruising and skiing from time to time. Any advice would be great :)

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
I have a baker sport tunnel with a johnson 275, I am wanting a nice handling prop for just cruising and skiing from time to time. Any advice would be great :)

I had great luck with a 26 big ear chopper. I had a Merc Laser 220 on a 21 Baker RST. I put a 28 on for a few more MPH on top but couldn't ski or pull a boat full of friends on plane with the 28.

Wolly42608

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip :) i will keep an eye out for a 26 chopper.

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip :) i will keep an eye out for a 26 chopper.

You may need a 28 with a 275hp. Also depends on the drive ratio. Mine was 1.87:1 , not sure what the Johnson 275 has. Chopppers in good shape can be had for $200. A dinged up one is about $150 and $150 to fix it so find a clean one. What are you running now and what don't you like about it?

Wolly42608

Reaction score
You may need a 28 with a 275hp. Also depends on the drive ratio. Mine was 1.87:1 , not sure what the Johnson 275 has. Chopppers in good shape can be had for $200. A dinged up one is about $150 and $150 to fix it so find a clean one. What are you running now and what don't you like about it?

I currently have a 28 chopper with some pretty decent cupping. I don't really have any complaints yet in fact its pretty good. Not sure what my drive ratio is but I am 99.99% for sure its stock. I am just in search of a spare prop that's more tame for pulling people out of the water and just general cruising. I am also in search for a top speed prop. I heard that the cleavers are pretty good due to their stern lift characteristics especially with such a heavy motor on the back. This is all just speculation of course. I have not even really had a chance to play with it due to the fact that the lake/pond I have been testing on is only 1/2 mile long ha ha. I am just trying to be as prepared for river season as I can be. Last season was a total flop.....all because I had the wrong prop. The boat would not even plane out and it was loading the cylinders and fouling the plugs. I guess these old V8s need over the hub exhaust to slip the prop due to their lack of low end torque.

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
I don't think a clever will work good on that boat. Mod-vp tunnels need bow lift and usually carry the stern fine once up to speed. My Baker got good bow lift with the chopper and once I got over about 50mph the air lifted the stern fine. It may be different with the V8 especially if you have a lot of set back. I have heard Bravos work good but I never had one with enough pitch to try. For sure a through hub prop has to have vent holes or it will be a pig to get on plane. You may like a four blade Mazco or Pro Prop. I have pretty good luck with four blades on my Lavey. I have run 26 and 28 Mazcos and my best all around prop was a 28 Spinelli which now sits at the bottom of Havasu. Four blades seem to hook up a little quicker and not require as much down trim to get the boat to turn.

Ultra912

Reaction score
First, what is a clever? Second, I have always run a SS 22P chopper and have an extra one. What would be a good swap for the extra one so I can have two different props that are usable for two different uses, speed, skiing. I have always pulled skiers with the 22 with no issues but would also like some more speed when the water is nice in the spring and fall.

Thanks,

Bob

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
First, what is a clever? Second, I have always run a SS 22P chopper and have an extra one. What would be a good swap for the extra one so I can have two different props that are usable for two different uses, speed, skiing. I have always pulled skiers with the 22 with no issues but would also like some more speed when the water is nice in the spring and fall.

Thanks,

Bob

Here is a clever. They are generally best on boats that don't need bow lift because they tend to lift the stern. Very popular on cats with two or three motors. My Lavey needs bow lift so unlikely that a clever would work. Not sure about your boat. "The best speed prop" is affected by several things. To get the most out of a chopper you need to have the motor high on the transom which is why jack plates are used. Of course you also need a low water pick-up and solid steering when the motor is up where a chopper works. Usually with the propshaft about even to an inch below the bottom of the hull is optimum for speed. Not great for the hole shot and hard to get on plane with it that high. That's where the jack comes in to get the best of both worlds. Pitch is all about getting the engine to run at the RPM that it makes peak HP. You can figure a couple hundred RPM per pitch. Cup will add 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches of pitch depending on how much is added. Cup helps the prop bite in turns and out of the hole but probably hurts top end a bit. Sorry I'm not able to answer with a simple, use such and such prop at X pitch but there is a lot that affects each boat. The bets thing to do is try to borrow as many props as you can and give them a try.
Clever.JPG

Ultra912

Reaction score
I do have a jack plate but it is stationary so it has lifted the motor all though nothing extravagant and set it back off the transom. I had it custom made about 8 years ago. The red anodize has bleached out also. Is it better to get these powder coated?

049.jpg