WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Props.

SoCalZero

Reaction score
When it comes to v-drives how do you know what size prop to get to match your gears and horsepower? Seems like everyone has a secret formula for getting close to what you need to have. I’m not looking for a prop currently. This is purely for future reference. Thanks!

1homeblown

Reaction score
When it comes to v-drives how do you know what size prop to get to match your gears and horsepower? Seems like everyone has a secret formula for getting close to what you need to have. I’m not looking for a prop currently. This is purely for future reference. Thanks!

I’m by no means a professional....but here’s my input.

I had an 11.75x16 (I was naive) that came with my flatbottom. Tried it a couple times what seemed to me was that it liked to send the bow up every time I touched the throttle.
I was able to borrow a 11.25x15 and it calmed the boat down quite a bit.

I then made a trip to Hill Marine and spoke with Ron. He explained to me what different boats like (outboards and v-drives etc.). Talking to him if you have the chance is well worth the time.

Really cool people there.
I’m still learning and hoping the new prop I have for my next trip will be the bees knees. [emoji1591]

As far as gearing goes...
I have 18’s in the box with a set of 29’s and 43’s that I’m waiting to try some day. Gotta have enough power to pull those gears. Pretty sure mine will handle the tall ones. [emoji16].
Until then I’m gonna keep my training wheels on.

I’m a anxiously awaiting what other people have to say regarding this as well. I’m still a newb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk