WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Protecting Bare Wood?? (Mantle)

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
What can I use to protect my wood mantle from liquids without changing the color??

When I changed my fireplace from brick to stone, I decided to use a 6x12 header, that had been weathered outside for several years, for my mantle. It was cut to length, cut to 7.5" deep, and the edges routed.

Originally, I was going to put something on it to darken it up and seal it. However, I am liking it more and more the color it is.

What can I seal it with for protection, that won't change the color?
20210110_080341.jpg
20210110_080525.jpg

Sent From Tapatalk

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Try the Minwax Polycrylic clear....test a piece. Should hold pretty true. Its water based too and won't yellow.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
A company called "Tried and True" makes an excellent series of natural oils and varnishes with no odors, food safe also. There stuff is pretty damn good. Takes some elbow grease to apply, as you rub it in like an oil and burnish, but it's a great product

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
A company called "Tried and True" makes an excellent series of natural oils and varnishes with no odors, food safe also. There stuff is pretty damn good. Takes some elbow grease to apply, as you rub it in like an oil and burnish, but it's a great product
Sounds good. Maybe I can bring the wood by your shop, and you can show me how to apply it. I'm a slow learner, so it might take you doing a couple of sides (like the top and front) for me to get it. [emoji12][emoji12]

Sent From Tapatalk

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Sounds good. Maybe I can bring the wood by your shop, and you can show me how to apply it. I'm a slow learner, so it might take you doing a couple of sides (like the top and front) for me to get it. [emoji12][emoji12]

Sent From Tapatalk

They have great instructionals on youtube, i'm sure you can pick it right up 😂 😂 😂 😂

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
Any clear top coat you use will change the color slightly flat, satin, etc. You will get some wetting effect that makes for that make for the color change. Obviously some wood's are worse than others. Like many have said teat a piece of scrap or in an non visible area.. Wax is usually the best bet to try.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I have a weathered wood mantle that is raw wood also. I haven't put anything on it at all. I thought about it then I asked myself, how many times does somebody put a glass of water on my mantle.........? Couldn't think of one so I left it raw. 4 years now and still looks great.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Try some 511 impregnator sealer. It won’t change the color to much, and after awhile it will look just like the natural wood.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I have a weathered wood mantle that is raw wood also. I haven't put anything on it at all. I thought about it then I asked myself, how many times does somebody put a glass of water on my mantle.........? Couldn't think of one so I left it raw. 4 years now and still looks great.

My kids and wife. Always stand right in front of fireplace, and set stuff on top all the time. What prompted my question today, was when I woke up this morning, there was an empty mug of hot chocolate on there. It's only a matter if time. LOL

Any clear top coat you use will change the color slightly flat, satin, etc. You will get some wetting effect that makes for that make for the color change. Obviously some wood's are worse than others. Like many have said teat a piece of scrap or in an non visible area.. Wax is usually the best bet to try.

This is just weathered Doug Fir. I will try the wax.

Try some 511 impregnator sealer. It won’t change the color to much, and after awhile it will look just like the natural wood.

I have some 511, and I need to seal the hearth and stone with it. I will try it in my scrap piece.

Sent From Tapatalk

Heylam

Reaction score
What if you just seal the top and leave the face unfinished?

endobear

Reaction score
All oil-based sealers will change the color.
A flat water based poly is what I would use.
Just don't over apply it or leave heavy spots. It will turn milky or plastic looking.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I will do some testing this weekend on my scrap piece of wood.

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I used the 511 sealer on my sample piece. It dried completely invisible.

When it rained, the section I put the 511 on was completely dry looking, while the rest was darkened from the rain.

Sent From Tapatalk

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
What can I use to protect my wood mantle from liquids without changing the color??

When I changed my fireplace from brick to stone, I decided to use a 6x12 header, that had been weathered outside for several years, for my mantle. It was cut to length, cut to 7.5" deep, and the edges routed.

Originally, I was going to put something on it to darken it up and seal it. However, I am liking it more and more the color it is.

What can I seal it with for protection, that won't change the color? View attachment 960220 View attachment 960221

Sent From Tapatalk
What did you use to paint insert? It does Look better black.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
What did you use to paint insert? It does Look better black.
I just used black BBQ paint from Home Depot. I scuffed the brass with steel wool before painting. The color matched the rest of the insert perfectly.
20210209_073103.jpg

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
It has been 2 years since I applied the 511 sealer. The mantle still looks exactly the same. 511 was the way to go for me still beads water if I drop some on it. I will re-coat the mantle, stone, and hearth as soon as it is warm enough to have the windows open.

PRIMO

Reaction score
Bote-Cote for the Win ......😎
If you can Find It ? I don't know if it is still Legal
in California. Go to for the Fire Guys when Rehabbing Ladders !

wallnutz

Reaction score
It has been 2 years since I applied the 511 sealer. The mantle still looks exactly the same. 511 was the way to go for me still beads water if I drop some on it. I will re-coat the mantle, stone, and hearth as soon as it is warm enough to have the windows open.
I hate to admit how much I use that stuff on.