WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Protesters in Upland

SW_GLASS

Reaction score
Isn't bail .01c these days?
To be honest I have no idea as I don't find myself in this situation often. Just offering to help that is all.

Personally if all these celebs can post bail for the protestor's/rioter's/looter's then I feel it should only be fair to help this guy out.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
It would have been no problem if he was just carrying it on the sling on his own property though, right?

No problem at all. He would just not be able to point it at or intimidate others in a threatening manner unless he or his property were in immediate danger.

I think what he's missing in this case is the immediate danger part, although given the circumstances he may be able to argue it. He chose to point the gun at a crowd that wasn't really in an immediate position to cause him bodily harm.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
* In California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

actually that brings up a question I would have for other states and hat you can protect property.

can you just drop someone because they are vandalizing property and not face any lawsuits?

I would think I would rather not kill someone over something my insurance would cover.I would think your lawyer fees would be way higher than your deductible? But I guess there are numerous situations so your experience may vary.

just my thoughts.

traquer

Reaction score
No problem at all. He would just not be able to point it at or intimidate others in a threatening manner unless he or his property were in immediate danger.

I think what he's missing in this case is the immediate danger part, although given the circumstances he may be able to argue it. He chose to point the gun at a crowd that wasn't really in an immediate position to cause him bodily harm.

Cool thank you. Yes a mob that's closing in like that could rush him and overpower him in about 1.5 seconds. Also, maybe he saw someone in the crowd pull a weapon. Lot can happen that we didn't see. Hope all goes well for him

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You can’t not kill to protect property period. If you are in fear and of your life in your front yard you are in the clear. My issue if officer said it like this. As long as you can demonstrate that you were indeed in fear of your life and that is reasonable. You are in the clear with CCW. I imagine same would apply while on private property without Ccw and in possession of legal weapon.

You can also state since you walked out of your house armed (ccw holder) and confronted the purp in your yard you the ccw escalated the scene since confronting the person and now charged.....

I guess the CCW holder needs to be in the front yard minding his own, and when something happens he feared for his life... Shit I could be sleeping in a chair outside for a long time....

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I wonder how they all got off of work? oh yeah none of them probably work all.

The are all getting UE and getting another $600 a week from the fed's..... We should halt UE bennies till this all stops.... it's wishful thinking, it probably would escalated.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Question: Being told by LE that your front yard is still not private property....True? being a CCW holder I cannot run out of the house shooting when someone is defacing the front of my property. Unless they enter the garage/house or backyard.... What say you?

It is absolutely still private property...what else would it be? But being visible from public property places some restrictions on what you would normally be able to do on secluded private property. Inside your house? Point the gun wherever you want. Out in the front yard? You can't point the gun at people walking by.

You cannot run out of the house shooting if someone is defacing the front of your property, but you can sure as hell come out and point the gun at them both as a deterrent to discontinue them from continuing as well as a protection for yourself. Who's to say that if they are bold enough to be damaging your property they wouldn't turn any weapon or aggression they have on you when you made an attempt to stop them? Pointing a gun at them and actually shooting them are two different things.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
It is absolutely still private property...what else would it be? But being visible from public property places some restrictions on what you would normally be able to do on secluded private property. Inside your house? Point the gun wherever you want. Out in the front yard? You can't point the gun at people walking by.

You cannot run out of the house shooting if someone is defacing the front of your property, but you can sure as hell come out and point the gun at them both as a deterrent to discontinue them from continuing as well as a protection for yourself. Who's to say that if they are bold enough to be damaging your property they wouldn't turn any weapon or aggression they have on you when you made an attempt to stop them? Pointing a gun at them and actually shooting them are two different things.

Thanks for the info.....

Another question regarding the highlighted words.... Wouldn't I be punished for escalating the scene cause I came out of the house with my gun pointed to deter them to stop?

Lets say they did shoot and I shot and wounded/killed them. In your opinion would I be liable because I came out with a gun and caused the perp to use his and I returned fire......

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Question: Being told by LE that your front yard is still not private property....True? being a CCW holder I cannot run out of the house shooting when someone is defacing the front of my property. Unless they enter the garage/house or backyard.... What say you?
Depends on the city. Some cities own the property from the sidewalk to the street. Some say the sidewalk is an easement. The guy with the gun was on the street side of the sidewalk.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

This totally goes against the training I’ve been taught.

YMMV

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My head hurts from all this analysis.
Fucker comes at you it’s on.
These are unrealistic times. You think the domestic terrorist threatening you at your stoop gives a fuck about where the line is?

“ooowww I might get in trouble if I don't let this guy rob my shit.”

To me it’s unreal. I can not get my head around it.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.....

Another question regarding the highlighted words.... Wouldn't I be punished for escalating the scene cause I came out of the house with my gun pointed to deter them to stop?

Lets say they did shoot and I shot and wounded/killed them. In your opinion would I be liable because I came out with a gun and caused the perp to use his and I returned fire......

No, because how do you know what that person is doing, what their mindset is, and what they're armed with? You do have the right to defend your property. You don't have the right to actually kill someone over property, but you can do what you've got to do to deter them. If they took a shot at you and you killed them, you'd be fine. In that case you'd be glad you did come out with a gun and that just illustrates my first statement about not knowing what their mindset or armament is.

Juries and lawyers have all sorts of ways of twisting logic and coming up with strange conclusions, so you never absolutely know what can happen, but there is no law I am aware of that prevents one from displaying a firearm in a threatening manner on their own private property for the purposes of deterring another from committing a crime. A DA would be highly unlikely to file any charges surrounding that.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
I have asked if there is any assistance needed on bail for those of you that asked.

I also heard that “They” are currently canvassing the house where the locals gathered yesterday.

I did not have time to read all the posts.

My question is, am I in my legal rights to stand in this front yard. With the owners permission and sling my legally owned CA approved rifle?

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I have asked if there is any assistance needed on bail for those of you that asked.

I also heard that “They” are currently canvassing the house where the locals gathered yesterday.

I did not have time to read all the posts.

My question is, am I in my legal rights to stand in this front yard. With the owners permission and sling my legally owned CA approved rifle?

Yes, as long as it is in fact his private property.

Do not point the weapon at anybody unless they pose an immediate threat to you. Make sure the weapon is CA compliant.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
$10 on each bet?
I’ll go that.
He ain’t getting arrested and his house ain’t getting fucked up.
$20 total.

He was arrested yesterday evening.. Or so I heard last night

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Here’s my final say.
If you are that worried and analytical about this situation, and simply don't know what to do about it, and are SO unsure about what trouble you’ll get in or any of the bullshit advice over the last 2 pages...then just put the guns away and leave the property.
Not judging, just my opinion.

PVHCA

Reaction score
No tear gas was used, pepper balls were shot off. The guy that got arrested was out of line, I know mutual friends and they are all a tad extreme re this shit. It was quite peaceful compared to many others.

jet496

Reaction score
LMAO, they make this all about Trump. I think they're going to get their asses handed to them. Drove by a protest yesterday in Santee & 5 times as many gathered on the other side of the street, with American flags, to shut them the fuck up. The demonstrators look like a bunch of fat, lazy-ass pansies.

It's time to fight back against them. The cop hating is dangerous to our security.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
No tear gas was used, pepper balls were shot off. The guy that got arrested was out of line, I know mutual friends and they are all a tad extreme re this shit. It was quite peaceful compared to many others.

There were used tear gas canisters picked up with 2012 dates on them.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Here’s my final say.
If you are that worried and analytical about this situation, and simply don't know what to do about it, and are SO unsure about what trouble you’ll get in or any of the bullshit advice over the last 2 pages...then just put the guns away and leave the property.
Not judging, just my opinion.

I was down there yesterday for a bit before the police lined up on the north bound lane of Euclid.

And I plan on being there today just in case.

I am in no way worried about getting in trouble.

I just wanted the dummy notes since I didn’t want to read through all the post.

j21black

Reaction score
You can’t not kill to protect property period. If you are in fear and of your life in your front yard you are in the clear. My issue if officer said it like this. As long as you can demonstrate that you were indeed in fear of your life and that is reasonable. You are in the clear with CCW. I imagine same would apply while on private property without Ccw and in possession of legal weapon.

Well I'm thinking a large group of "potentially violent" protesters heading in my direction would cause any sane person to be in fear of their life.

All you would have to do IMO is share nightly news clips of the beatings some of the protesters have been handing down to innocent bystanders. It is the defense I would go with and likely enough to sow doubt of the states case with jurors.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Graduation from a well known Sheriff's academy and subsequent law enforcement experience? [emoji106]

Nope [emoji106]
I did date the assistant Sheriff of Orange County’s (Chief Krans) daughter though [emoji4]

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I just drove by where the protest occurred at Foothill/Euclid. Right now, there are 12-14 people holding signs, in the shade, facing Vons, and they brought a few 6-8 year old kids with them. The house where the AR guy was arrested is quiet, with nobody outside.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I just drove by where the protest occurred at Foothill/Euclid. Right now, there are 12-14 people holding signs, in the shade, facing Vons, and they brought a few 6-8 year old kids with them. The house where the AR guy was arrested is quiet, with nobody outside.

Awesome! Parents brought their human shields.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Was that his house or did he just stop there when he saw what was going on?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well I'm thinking a large group of "potentially violent" protesters heading in my direction would cause any sane person to be in fear of their life.

All you would have to do IMO is share nightly news clips of the beatings some of the protesters have been handing down to innocent bystanders. It is the defense I would go with and likely enough to sow doubt of the states case with jurors.
To play devil’s advocate he sure looked like he was in his front yard to stir things up. Just look at the lady in white laughing in the background.
also if he really was in fear of his life he would have pulled the trigger.
i was told by my instructors Make the decision whether or not you are pulling the trigger before you pull out the firearm

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Dang
With all this shit going .
Fuck that cop that arrested the guy with the gun .
Every night building are up in flames . People are looting.
And they worry about this guy .

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
i was told by my instructors Make the decision whether or not you are pulling the trigger before you pull out the firearm

I keep hearing that, so I got to thinking about it and my experiences.
I can count 3 separate times during my life when I’ve leveled a gun at people.
Twice with the Mossberg, once with the mini.
All 3 times I ran them off my porch and out to the street. One of the times I followed to the street then returned to the house.
I never discharged the weapons and never got arrested. Twice the police came.
Of the 3 incidents 2 were in Alaska, one was in CA. (Sheriff responded, Debbie called it in while I was at the door)

These types of “rules” are ambiguous, there is no one size fits all event or response. If you brandish, yes, be prepared to fire it.
But to say never brandish without firing or killing is sorta bizarre.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
All 3 times I ran them off my porch and out to the street. One of the times I followed to the street then returned to the house.
Of the 3 incidents 2 were in Alaska, one was in CA. (Sheriff responded, Debbie called it in while I was at the door)

These types of “rules” are ambiguous, there is no one size fits all event or response. If you brandish, yes, be prepared to fire it.

i agree

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

It's that mental decision to commit they are talking about I believe. If you don't HAVE to shoot someone that's a good thing, that does not change the fact you were READY to do so.

If I have my weapon out and it looks like I am ready to shoot...I am.