WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

PSA-Fire Extinguisher

franky

Reaction score
There was a post a while back about a boat fire and a couple boaters that responded and had useless fire extinguishers. Don't think of a fire extinguisher as a requirement, think of it as a needed safety device.

Don't buy cheap plastic crap just to comply. If you have an old extinguisher or a crappy one, do yourself or someone else a favor and go buy a new GOOD extinguisher. In Havasu you can go to Cintas Fire Protection in the 911 N. Lake Havasu Blvd. center from 7:30-3:30 M-F and get this quality extinguisher with metal (not plastic) head and metal (not plastic) bracket. This is a quality piece that you should mount sideways to avoid packing and should pull out every couple months and shake. You should really have it serviced annually but…

The good news is they will sell you this extinguisher for $40 OTD.

If you cant make those hours, PM me and I will pick one up and meet you with a power driver and some screws if I am in town.

Tell them Franky sent you.

Attachments

• 3E7E7C52-DB2A-46E0-94AD-4D9E28C11F2C.jpeg
    3E7E7C52-DB2A-46E0-94AD-4D9E28C11F2C.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 7D351622-D970-409A-9B52-17DEC4CDC5BB.jpeg
    7D351622-D970-409A-9B52-17DEC4CDC5BB.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
Thx for the heads up Franky. Good point on the mounting issue too.

Sherpa

Reaction score
not sure how many costco's are selling them, but my local costco has a nice 5 # extinguisher on sale for about $25. I picked one up just because.

--Sherpa

HCP3

Reaction score
Decent deal on (4) 4.5lb ABC Coast Guard approved extinguishers on Amazon. Not quite the quality of franky's, but better than nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

franky

Reaction score
Decent deal on (4) 5lb ABC Coast Guard approved extinguishers on Amazon. Not quite the quality of franky's, but better than nothing.

Those look like 2.5 #, here is a photo of the 2.5 # I posted next to a 5#. Beware of plastic brackets…

But hey, I have no dog in this game, just posting a PSA and vouching for a solid product.

Attachments

• F699F8B0-4A02-4978-B42C-898D978E6DD6.jpeg
    F699F8B0-4A02-4978-B42C-898D978E6DD6.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 108

Javajoe

Reaction score
When I bought my boat last year I noticed my FE’s showed they were charged but out of date so I decided to replace them. I tried to discharge the old ones to see if they worked. NOPE.

• Wow

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Lowes has marine extinguishers too. I think they were 25ea? The small ones, so you might need a couple of em to be safe.

franky

Reaction score
When I bought my boat last year I noticed my FE’s showed they were charged but out of date so I decided to replace them. I tried to discharge the old ones to see if they worked. NOPE.
And there you have it……it is all good until someone loses an eye.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Plastic strap…..good luck mounting it sideways and it lasting. Whatever man, you get what you pay for and have to live with it…or not…

Need a good metal bracket and strap.
What are you rambling on about? The third slide shows it has a metal head. And what does the strap or laying it flat have anything to do with it? Modern extinguishers are designed to be mounted horizontally or vertically

franky

Reaction score
What are you rambling on about? The third slide shows it has a metal head. And what does the strap or laying it flat have anything to do with it? Modern extinguishers are designed to be mounted horizontally or vertically
I said nothing about the head being plastic. And if you don't understand the rest then you don't and I am not worried about it.🤷🏻‍♂️

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I said nothing about the head being plastic. And if you don't understand the rest then you don't and I am not worried about it.🤷🏻‍♂️
What bearing does a plastic strap have on the reliability and/or function of a fire extinguisher?

This should be good

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Plastic strap…..good luck mounting it sideways and it lasting. Whatever man, you get what you pay for and have to live with it…or not…

Need a good metal bracket and strap.

Well, fyi...

In my boat, the current extinguishers I have reside in hidden compartment. Out of sight, but easy to get to. No mounting bracket required. And yes, they lay on their sides.

So, whatever man, back atcha! 😁

franky

Reaction score
Well, fyi...

In my boat, the current extinguishers I have reside in hidden compartment. Out of sight, but easy to get to. No mounting bracket required. And yes, they lay on their sides.

So, whatever man, back atcha! 😁
Well there you go. Whatever works for you. Just pointing out the difference. If you don't need a bracket you don’t need a bracket. At least you get the horizontal thing……Thanks!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Well there you go. Whatever works for you. Just pointing out the difference. If you don't need a bracket you don’t need a bracket. At least you get the horizontal thing……Thanks!

It's a great topic you bring up. Something we all should be aware of, but seldom think about until it's too late.

👍

FCT

Reaction score

I keep these on the boat

rrrr

Reaction score
The 2.5 lb extinguisher is useless for a gasoline fire of modest size. Those of you with a 25'-30' or larger boat should have two 5 BC extinguishers or one 5 BC and a properly sized automatic gaseous suppression system in the engine area.

It's cheap insurance against a total loss of the boat.

rrrr

Reaction score
Tapping the FE with a rubber mallet also will help with freeing up the packed dry chemical. ;)

Once or twice a year I invert my extinguishers and hit 'em with a rubber mallet.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I keep these on the boat

I thought those were all outlawed. I have one from ages ago!

72Hondo

Reaction score
No one runs Halon anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: FCT

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If there’s ever a fire on my boat…I’m going for a swim, not the extinguisher.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Question for you guys, I know at work we used to refill dry chem extinguishers every year, think it was an insurance thing, as long as the gauge is in the green, what's the limit?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Question for you guys, I know at work we used to refill dry chem extinguishers every year, think it was an insurance thing, as long as the gauge is in the green, what's the limit?
When I had my FE license years ago it was every year for refill. That's what we do at our office. Not sure if its still one year or not. I know they won't recharge a FE if it has a plastic trigger. At least that's what the company that does our FE's told us. 🤷‍♂️

hman442

Reaction score
Aircraft Spruce has Halon extinguishers available. They definitely cost more.
Screenshot_20210722-065514_Chrome.jpg

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Assuming youre in california, Its every year.

(e) Inspection, Maintenance and Testing.

(3) Portable fire extinguishers shall be subjected to an annual maintenance check. Stored pressure extinguishers do not require an internal examination. The employer shall record the annual maintenance date and retain this record for one year after the last entry or the life of the shell, whichever is less. The record shall be available to the Chief upon request.

Our base goes through a couple of them for annuals 😂

C75FF762-B170-4708-AA72-810AE00ECE82.jpeg

DB3FC635-3E0A-48A6-8B19-28FAB376CE89.jpeg

FreeBird236

Reaction score
When I had my FE license years ago it was every year for refill. That's what we do at our office. Not sure if its still one year or not. I know they won't recharge a FE if it has a plastic trigger. At least that's what the company that does our FE's told us. 🤷‍♂️
Assuming youre in california, Its every year.

(e) Inspection, Maintenance and Testing.

(3) Portable fire extinguishers shall be subjected to an annual maintenance check. Stored pressure extinguishers do not require an internal examination. The employer shall record the annual maintenance date and retain this record for one year after the last entry or the life of the shell, whichever is less. The record shall be available to the Chief upon request.
I kind of figured it was a requirement for businesses, just don't see the average consumer recharging every year. Even though mine are still in the middle of the green after 4 years I guess I'm due, they are high quality rechargeable types.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I kind of figured it was a requirement for businesses, just don't see the average consumer recharging every year. Even though mine are still in the middle of the green after 4 years I guess I'm due, they are high quality rechargeable types.
Kidde lists their "consumer" FE lasting 12 years but id probably do half that. I would, however, inspect and tap them annually to keep them free.

rrrr

Reaction score
Aircraft Spruce has Halon extinguishers available. They definitely cost more. View attachment 1028415

They aren't Halon 1301, it was banned years ago. Current extinguishers have an almagam of gases, they work by displacing oxygen. Gaseous systems work best in a confined space, where concentration of the gas can exceed an approximate 11% threshold. The automatic Firebouy systems are sized for protection of a defined cubic foot space.

lantz

Reaction score
Great Topic. Also, talk to family and people who are on the boat regularly. What should they do if a fire breaks out. Where are the extra flotation devices stored if one is not on already. Where are the fire extinguishers. How do you use one. It's okay to leave the boat, etc....

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I added one of these to my existing required extinguishers in all my vehicles

not cheap but a bit more peace of mind if I have to fight the flames

hman442

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, I thought it was Halon, because they call it that, and, as you say, it is an amalgam of Halon 1301, and Halon 1211 ?
They aren't Halon 1301, it was banned years ago. Current extinguishers have an almagam of gases, they work by displacing oxygen. Gaseous systems work best in a confined space, where concentration of the gas can exceed an approximate 11% threshold. The automatic Firebouy systems are sized for protection of a defined cubic foot space.
H3R AVIATION FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
The FAA recommends and/or requires Halon fire extin￾guishers on aircraft. H3Rs Halon fire extinguishers are the
extinguishers of choice in the aviation industry. They cause
no mess or damage, and do not require taking a plane out
of service for clean-up; a costly process for both the aircraft
owner and insurance carrier. The heat-seeking quality of
the Halon gas makes it a superior fire fighting agent.
DISPOSABLE, LOW-MAINTENANCE HALON 1211-1301 BLEND
Contain a proprietary blend of the “liquid streaming agent,” Halon 1211,
and the gaseous “total flooding agent,” Halon 1301. The blend’s power
lies in the Halon 1301, which is both a firefighting agent and a propellant.
Low maintenance and non-rechargeable. Lightweight aluminum canister
Disposable. Tested to ANSI/UL 711 and UL 1093. Meets DOT require￾ments Meets the requirements in Advisory Circular 20-42C , “Hand Held
Extinguishers for Aircraft” and/or NFPA 408, “Standard for Aircraft Hand
Portable Fire Extinguishers” 12-year shelf life. Fire extinguishers include
a mounting bracket.
RECHARGEABLE, STURDY INDUSTRY-STANDARD HALON 1211
Required on commercial transport aircraft. Although classified a “liquid
streaming agent,” Halon 1211 also performs remarkably well as a “total
flooding agent,” seeking out and extinguishing fires in inaccessible places.
A 6-year maintenance and 12-year hydrostatic test are required.Rugged
steel cylinder. Pressure gauge enables easy confirmation of charge. Tested
to ANSI/UL 711 and UL 1093. Meets DOT requirements. Meets the require￾ments in Advisory Circular 20-42C, “Hand Held Extinguishers for Aircraft”
and/or NFPA 408, “Standard for Aircraft Hand Portable Fire Extinguishers”.
Fire extinguishers include a mounting bracket or a wall hook.

Last edited: