WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

PSA Parker Strip Blue Light Violation $465 fine!

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me grateful for moving to South Florida. I boat literally everyday and have not been stopped by Law Enforcement ever. It’s nice to not have to boat with that burden.

Now to be fair…… I am usually running a commercial boat, so you get quite a bit of leeway from law enforcement. They are on my side, if have an exchange with a recreational boater.

Backlash

Reaction score
SBCSD Deputies fishing where the fish are. Its simple. Pirates serves alcohol, right? Stopping a boat exiting that marina next to the restaurant and bar increases an officer's chances of a BUI investigation, and possibly an arrest. If I were a deputy patrolling the strip, that's where I'd keep an eye out for violations. Hypothetically speaking of course. 😁

cofooter

Reaction score
SBCSD Deputies fishing where the fish are. Its simple. Pirates serves alcohol, right? Stopping a boat exiting that marina next to the restaurant and bar increases an officer's chances of a BUI investigation, and possibly an arrest. If I were a deputy patrolling the strip, that's where I'd keep an eye out for violations. Hypothetically speaking of course. 😁
VS Fox's? 😂

DWC

Reaction score
Code Violation HN 652. 5 /d/....

(d) A vessel approaching, overtaking, being approached, or being overtaken by a moving public safety vessel operating with a siren or an illuminated blue light, or a vessel approaching a stationary public safety vessel displaying an illuminated blue light, shall immediately slow to a speed sufficient to maintain steerage only, shall alter its course, within its ability, so as not to inhibit or interfere with the operation of the public safety vessel, and shall proceed, unless otherwise directed by the operator of the public safety vessel, at the reduced speed until beyond the area of operation of the public safety vessel.

This weekend I saw two San Bernardino Sheriff Boats following each other up and down the river. I thought maybe they were training a new deputy. Apparently not the case.

At the sandbar I was talking to a father of two that got a citation for passing a Sheriff's boat that had pulled over another vessel. The father stated he saw the Sheriff's boat with his blue lights on. The boats were near the AZ side of the river. He drove to the center of the river to move around the patrol stop. He was then told to pull over by the second Sheriff's boat where he was issued a citation.

Just a heads up for folks. The father was told by the Deputy they had a zero tolerance enforcement this weekend.

I personally was not aware of this HN code violation. Maybe @BoatCop can give further info!
Thanks for the info and heads up.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I was on the water the last three weekends pulling most of the time. I passed lots of cops in every direction and location in parker. Never got pulled over once might have just jinxed myself but if I do get pulled over I’ve got everything on the boat that’s required and I don’t drink so that’s not a issue. I passed cops a few times when they had people pulled over this past weekend seemed like way more than normal even more than on the 4th of July weekends. Sounds like they just needed revenue.

Reactions: DWC

Seas

Reaction score
Flares and other VDS (Visual Distress Signals) are only required on Coastal Waters or the Great Lakes. No requirement to have them on inland waters.

I didn't realize flares weren't required on inland waterways as I have had them on all my boats for over 40 years, replacing them every few years when they "expire". Anyone have good experiences with other types of visual distress signals that don't expire?

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
I sat on my dock and watched the action. Everyone I saw get pulled over totally deserved it. People sitting on the back pulling kids, dock smashers within 20ft of the cops at full ballast and even a jetskier toss a beer as he passed the cops.

The cops signaled multiple people to slow down when they were close and people slowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful Noise

Reaction score
What happens if you are pulling a Skier or a tube?
Never did see a response to this question plus if your pulling a skier or a tube seems like your putting them in harms way if you have to drop them with other boats coming up behind you …….. to circle back to pick them up to continue or like mentioned just flip a U-turn 🤔

Icky

Reaction score
When Alan told my kid to tell the LEO he was wrong in front of the Gilbert judge a few years ago the judge said you're right, he's wrong (cop) ticket dismissed. BC is a big help to us here. :cool: 👍
I was talking about telling the officers they were wrong while still being pulled over. Cause at that point I'm sure they'll find something wrong.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Flares may not be required. but a working light, and horn are. I carry a blinding handheld 12V spotlight, and the can horns I used at Thunderboats. Loud AF.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I was a lucky winner of one of these tickets on 7/31 in Parker.
Just got the notice in the mail. $465 fine!!
I'll be fighting it court.
Bastards. I was doing 10 mph in our Pontoon.
That blows . . . and that's such an inflated fine. LAME.
I got a a citation on the water recently that I don't even wanna admit/ share here yet, (but I will eventually after I fight it)
Keep us posted how things go please. 🙏

BooF

Reaction score
That blows . . . and that's such an inflated fine. LAME.
I got a a citation on the water recently that I don't even wanna admit/ share here yet, (but I will eventually after I fight it)
Keep us posted how things go please. 🙏

Yea it's really inflated.
Court date is 11/24 in Barstow. Convenient its the day before Thanksgiving.
I'll keep ya'll posted.

77charger

Reaction score
Seen them do this on the road too in ca chp pulls one over one sits in front car goes by without slowing 20 mph down or move over the second chp goes afetr them.

On the strip it sounds like a ca money grab stop boat is there even 150 ft to go around? Like someone said more like entrapment and glad boatcop can spread his wealth of information on this subject.

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Funny how many had read this thread. The tag team was out a few weeks ago, we sat and watched nearly every boat slow to a crawl as they approached. Good PSA, you saved a few.

4Waters

Reaction score
Yea it's really inflated.
Court date is 11/24 in Barstow. Convenient its the day before Thanksgiving.
I'll keep ya'll posted.
Might get lucky and the cop may not be there.

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
My cousin was one of the lucky recipients of a blue light ticket… he said the cop was waiving at him to slow down and he waived back and kept going… then they came after him.

As a Parker die hard I get the cops position. If I was trying to “help” another boater and a 5ft tsunami slammed into me I’d be a little pissed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
Who among you is willing to take a stand against this miscarriage of justice ?
At least according to Alan "Boatcop", there is no such law in AZ and as such unless they can prove you're on the CA side of the border, by documenting GPS Coord., the SBCO Sheriffs can't enforce this CA only law.
Although I certainly understand the not wanting to be pulled over, checked out and written up for it, especially if they're directing you to court in Barstow.

I recall a couple of you were clearly on the AZ side at Pirates Cove, one ticket shared had that on it, so that should be dismissed immediately.

I don't boat on the river in Parker, and on Havasu I give any cop boats a very wide berth. Although this is really good to remember up river where it's narrow and you could be easily on the CA side.

samsah33

Reaction score
Maybe you can run into Nordstroms and grab a few high end purses to sell to cover your ticket since that's OK these days...

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Just a heads up for folks. The father was told by the Deputy they had a zero tolerance enforcement this weekend.

IDK WHY but I Just got off the water...there were A LOT of cops out in general not just the water... LHCPD was watching Windsor tonight when we loaded. There has been a cop right by our house everyday running radar on lower Jamaica...I hope he nails some guys though...60-70 mph on this stretch gets old. Cant even let my kid ride her bike to the side streets over the rice rockets.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
The part i dont like is the danger it creates on the strip . Not everybody looks behind them to see whats going on and a nice family might get run over because the guy behind did not anticipate the sudden 50mph change for a patrol boat talking to a jet ski . Or coming around a corner to find a dozen boats at idle speed . Risk versus reward does not seam to favor this law

Thank you for stating this

That sudden slow up is a big freaking deal if your driving into the setting sun and the river is busy. Better turn your head around, look, and possibly save your own life.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
At least according to Alan "Boatcop", there is no such law in AZ and as such unless they can prove you're on the CA side of the border, by documenting GPS Coord., the SBCO Sheriffs can't enforce this CA only law.
Although I certainly understand the not wanting to be pulled over, checked out and written up for it, especially if they're directing you to court in Barstow.

I recall a couple of you were clearly on the AZ side at Pirates Cove, one ticket shared had that on it, so that should be dismissed immediately.

I don't boat on the river in Parker, and on Havasu I give any cop boats a very wide berth. Although this is really good to remember up river where it's narrow and you could be easily on the CA side.

You want to talk about punching into the dark, that is one way. But all it’s costs you is some time, so why not.

All the cop is going to say is that they saw you on the CA side in violation of CA law.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Just to clear something up.. gps coordinates would not matter as there is no AZ side or CA side of the river. Both sets of laws traverse the river and into the other state. Being that is the agreement the states have a compact and in the compact it is agreed upon that if the states do not share the law than that particular circumstance can’t be enforced.

At least that’s how I understood it.

Little curious how that would affect other scenarios where OUI laws were different, operator age, boaters cards…. And I’m sure before the nanny stare is all done eventually life jacket laws.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This entire thing wreaks of entrapment in my opinion.. SBSD should be ashamed of themselves.. it is things like this that create an adverse or rather dim view of Law Enforcement.

Last edited:

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
IDK WHY but I Just got off the water...there were A LOT of cops out in general not just the water... LHCPD was watching Windsor tonight when we loaded. There has been a cop right by our house everyday running radar on lower Jamaica...I hope he nails some guys though...60-70 mph on this stretch gets old. Cant even let my kid ride her bike to the side streets over the rice rockets.
This is why I don’t go to Windsor. One slip in your flip-flop and if you’re like me with seven pieces of hardware in your knee it’s pretty easy and the minute you get to your tow rig and put the key in ignition they got you. Entrapment at its finest.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score

Things to do……
1-Impeach Biden and Harris
2-Secure Afganistan and anniliate the Taliban
3-Take a stand against unnecessary PoPo entrapment!
Got it💪
Oh yea. I forgot, 4-Do something about plow boat owners negligence!
Im feeling like the majority of the PoPo dnt wana do shit about important shit like crime and your lucky if they even respond however they sure go after the easy kill revenue generating BS everywhere. They certainly do in Tucson where crime is off the chart these days.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Just to clear something up.. gps coordinates would not matter as there is no AZ side or CA side of the river. Both sets of laws traverse the river and into the other state. Being that is the agreement the states have a compact and in the compact it is agreed upon that if the states do not share the law than that particular circumstance can’t be enforced.

At least that’s how I understood it.

Little curious how that would affect other scenarios where OUI laws were different, operator age, boaters cards…. And I’m sure before the nanny stare is all done eventually life jacket laws.

Dave I'm certainly no maritime lawyer or even a boater who's ever been cited. I was simply going off what I understood Boatcop to state in post # 20 of this thread, and several previous threads as it pertains to Concurrent Jurisdiction on the Colorado River.

Boatcop Concurrent Jurisdiction post 20.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave I'm certainly no maritime lawyer or even a boater who's ever been cited. I was simply going off what I understood Boatcop to state in post # 20 of this thread, and several previous threads as it pertains to Concurrent Jurisdiction on the Colorado River.

View attachment 1043134

It’s very legal speak but in terms of the colorado River there I do not believe there are California waters or az waters.. There is a shared waterway.

Icky

Reaction score
Curious what became of this, did you fight it in court? Lots of people passing cops out here this weekend, and I didn't see them pulling people over.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Another prime example of a RGT (Revenue Generating Tactic) The old boat safety check at the ramp at the end of the day🤣. My wife always tells me I should have been a lawyer,I would fight that w/out hesitation.
if I ever receive one of these bullshit citations, I'd light it on fire right there on the spot.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Boat Cop basically just showed you how to get out of this ticket……

BUT…… It looks like you have grounds for a civil lawsuit against the Sheriffs Dept because they knew or should have known that this was a unticketable offense, based on what Alan/Boatcop indicated. You would be doing your fellow boaters a favor, since it would put SBSD on notice that this is unenforceable. Don’t let this become the new normal!

This.
Go back and get the gps coordinates, or if not possible at the least have a topo shot with location clearly marked at the location.
Take it to court. Make the cop show up.
Show where it happened and make the cop agree, then cite the rule.

Is it financially sound advice? Probably not.
But these days I simply won’t sell my rights for convenience anymore.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I hate this stupid law . Its going to get somebody hurt or killed . A regular is going to see the lights and throttle down and the 30 foot holiday guy is never going to expect it and run somebody over .