PSA

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
What did you expect to find? Public Service Announcement? :p
PSA 1.jpg

JB in so cal

Reaction score
We used to refer to the BAE as “bring another engine”.

Great airframe but the Lycoming and Honeywell turbines were maintenance hogs.
Fire service likes them now, I think.

cofooter

Reaction score
Used to fly this as a kid alone out of Santa Ana to visit my grandparents up in San Jose. Both airports at that time were just quonset huts........haha

1643084890046.jpeg

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Used to fly this as a kid alone out of Santa Ana to visit my grandparents up in San Jose. Both airports at that time were just quonset huts........haha

View attachment 1082756
Yes, and Hughes Airwest flew out of Santa Ana too. "The Flying Banana", in it's yellow livery. In the 70's we would fly from Santa Ana to ABQ to visit grandparents in the banana. Currently, in the ABQ terminal, there is a great display of model airliners that flew into ABQ back in the day.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Pacific SW Airlines - reminds me of Flight 182 crash in San Diego in 1978. Sad day.
My father was the San Diego chief pilot for PSA at that time. He had to go to the crash site to help with the investigation. He was never the same. The majority of the passengers on the flight were deadheading home so he lost a lot of very close friends that day.

However, to me, PSA reminds me of a great childhood and growing up in the airlines.

Last edited:

timstoy

Reaction score
PSA was also one on a long list of operators of failed management for the Queen Mary in Long Beach. I wonder what the real cost of that rust bucket has cost the City and operators over the years. I know we will never know the true money lost numbers that POS.

Captain Dan

Reaction score
My father was the San Diego chief pilot for PSA at that time. He had to go to the crash site to help with the investigation. He was never the same. The majority of the passengers on the flight were deadheading home so he lost a lot of very close friends that day.

However, to me, PSA reminds me of a great childhood and growing up in the airlines.
I was in 11th grade and could see the smoke from my school (Patrick Henry HS). My dad was leaving on a flight on PSA that morning and I didn't learn he was ok until hours afterward.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score

I still remember as a kid, seeing pictures of the plane going down. It has always stuck in my mind seeing it going down in the attitude the plane was in, and an engine on fire. You don't ever see a plane going down like that. I don't want to post the pics in case someone on RDP had friends or family on that flight, but people can google it if they choose.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I still remember as a kid, seeing pictures of the plane going down. It has always stuck in my mind seeing it going down in the attitude the plane was in, and an engine on fire. You don't ever see a plane going down like that. I don't want to post the pics in case someone on RDP had friends or family on that flight, but people can google it if they choose.
Thanks. I appreciate that. I really don't want to see that picture in this thread.

johnnyC

Reaction score
first time i ever flew was from burbank to san diego, I was about i think maybe 9, went alone , but the one thing i remember the most was how good looking the stews were........ unlike now