WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Purchased my first smoker

jasonwtc

Reaction score
so i bought my first smoker after reading about all the great looking food you all make. now how do i use it? i bought a medina river 65 small smoker. it has a firebox off to the side and i have no idea how to use it so any advice would be appreciated. also what to buy as for wood chips that is best to cook with. thanks

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What do u want to know specifically? Like a recipe? Or?

Forensic

No Title
Reaction score
Put a full load of charcoal in the firebox and lite it up.

Play with the coal vents and top vents to learn how to regulate the temperature. If you can maintain a steady 225 you will have successful cooks.
If it bounces between 180 and 275 a lot you will be disappointed.

Depending on your smoker learning how to keep it at 170-180 is a good skill but could be a challenge. For me, its right at the point my coals start to die so I really have to pay attention to mine. Anyway, that's the temp I use for smoking salmon. I've smoked a pork butt this way as well. It was the best pulled pork I've made. It does add a lot of time to a long cook.

You can get the red bags of Royal Oak lump charcoal from WallyWorld for 7 bucks a bag. My preference is to use lump only, I wont use briquettes. They claim its the same but I can taste a difference.

Smoking wood is a preference. I prefer an apple and hickory flavor. Stay away from mesquit. It can get bitter on long cooks and is better suited for grilling.
Go to BBQ Galore if you have one near you, they have small and large bags of chunks or chips.

Take you meat off about 10-15 degrees before it reaches temp. Wrap it in foil and a couple towels. Place it in a cooler for at least 30 minutes. The meat will continue to cook and the juices will settle. I use one of my soft sided coolers because the soft sides seem to keep excessive cold air away.

Last, have fun with it. :thumbsup :cool

Soldout

Park Supervisor
Reaction score

Play with the coal vents and top vents to learn how to regulate the temperature. If you can maintain a steady 225 you will have successful cooks.

Depending on your smoker learning how to keep it at 170-180 is a good skill but could be a challenge. For me, its right at the point my coals start to die so I really have to pay attention to mine. Anyway, that's the temp I use for smoking salmon. I've smoked a pork butt this way as well. It was the best pulled pork I've made. It does add a lot of time to a long cook.

You can get the red bags of Royal Oak lump charcoal from WallyWorld for 7 bucks a bag. My preference is to use lump only, I wont use briquettes. They claim its the same but I can taste a difference.

Smoking wood is a preference. I prefer an apple and hickory flavor. Stay away from mesquit. It can get bitter on long cooks and is better suited for grilling.
Go to BBQ Galore if you have one near you, they have small and large bags of chunks or chips.

Take you meat off about 10-15 degrees before it reaches temp. Wrap it in foil and a couple towels. Place it in a cooler for at least 30 minutes. The meat will continue to cook and the juices will settle. I use one of my soft sided coolers because the soft sides seem to keep excessive cold air away.

That about sums it up right there. Get some good thermometers and start playin with it:thumbsup

Soldout

Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I really like this lump charcoal it has a great flavor kinda sweet for mesquite usually around $4 a bag

sonora charcoal.jpg

jasonwtc

Reaction score

that explains everything i need to know that you very much i will test it out tomorrow and let you know how i did.