WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pure 60s California right here.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
My dad gave me this photo of his car from 1962 this weekend. His 1958 Impala and his surfboard sitting out in front of his parents house in Granada Hills.

He told me all about when they would cruise Burbank Bob's Big Boy in this thing. I could only imagine how bitchen SoCal was in the 50s and 60s.

20210615_175751.jpg

fmo24

Reaction score
My dad told stories of racing his 57 Chevy on Westminster blvd by the ammo storage in seal beach. He worked 2nd shift at Douglas in LB and we lived in Westminster near Westminster high school. I was born in 58 then we moved to HB in early 60.

HBCraig

Reaction score
My dad gave me this photo of his car from 1962 this weekend. His 1958 Impala and his surfboard sitting out in front of his parents house in Granada Hills.

He told me all about when they would cruise Burbank Bob's Big Boy in this thing. I could only imagine how bitchen SoCal was in the 50s and 60s.

View attachment 1014188
Just like what Susan Sommers was in when they filmed American Graffiti

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

View attachment 1014188

I'd be interested in knowing what the address was, I grew up in GH, much later, but, it's still home to me

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
…It took a while for 58 Impalas to catch on but they now are worth some serious money…
I noticed that he had small 56 Chevy dog dish hubcaps on the car…that was a big thing in the 60s dog dish hubcaps… in my humble opinion 58 Chevy dog dish caps were the best out of all of them …as a matter of fact that’s what I have on the trailer of my Sanger runner bottom👍
…It also looks like your father may have had the motor out of his car at that time by the way the front wheels are cocked or possibly he had a floor jack under the front of the car???… I wonder if he blew up his 348 motor… they weren’t the most bulletproof of motors???…

grumpy88

Reaction score
…It took a while for 58 Impalas to catch on but they now are worth some serious money…
I noticed that he had small 56 Chevy dog dish hubcaps on the car…that was a big thing in the 60s dog dish hubcaps… in my humble opinion 58 Chevy dog dish caps were the best out of all of them …as a matter of fact that’s what I have on the trailer of my Sanger runner bottom👍
…It also looks like your father may have had the motor out of his car at that time by the way the front wheels are cocked or possibly he had a floor jack under the front of the car???… I wonder if he blew up his 348 motor… they weren’t the most bulletproof of motors???…
Do you still have the sanger runner bottom ? Any pics ?

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing what the address was, I grew up in GH, much later, but, it's still home to me
I as well. and cool change

looks like b/t Louise and Balboa

Last edited:

johnnyC

Reaction score
I grew up in granada hills as well, it was a different place then , it will never be the same!, its amazing how many people lived there that are on this site:)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 1014188

Way cool. 👍

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score

View attachment 1014188
Friend in high school had a black 58 impala 348 tri power hydraulic cam three speed on the column …Tijuana black tuck and roll 59 Cadillac tail lights ..,he got all the chicks …well later on in life he decided he wanted his high school car only he cheaped out and bought a Belair then turned it into a Biscayne???… but went ahead and put 59 Cadillac Tail light lenses in this one too…

Water Romper

Reaction score
You guys price surfboards lately? especially the old "logs" (long boards) from this era, the 60's. That wooden glassed in fin is totally cool and if its a name brand board like Robert August, Dewey Weber etc- could be worth some $$ That type of car would have been all up and down the So Cal coast with boards tied to the roof...great piece of history there, bet your pop has wild stories of the old "surf days" Funny how fiberglass boards and boats make us crazy!
Bored? grab a beer and watch (see below) get your fill of old cars, girls and surfing.
1623845978326.png

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I as well. and cool change

looks like b/t Louise and Balboa

I new cool change was from there. I wonder how many of y'all crossed paths with my dad?

I grew up at White Oak and Los Alimos. Grandma's house, where dad graduated highschool from, was Ruffner and Rinaldi

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
You guys price surfboards lately? especially the old "logs" (long boards) from this era, the 60's. That wooden glassed in fin is totally cool and if its a name brand board like Robert August, Dewey Weber etc- could be worth some $$ That type of car would have been all up and down the So Cal coast with boards tied to the roof...great piece of history there, bet your pop has wild stories of the old "surf days" Funny how fiberglass boards and boats make us crazy!
Bored? grab a beer and watch (see below) get your fill of old cars, girls and surfing.
View attachment 1014276

I asked my father what board it was and he said it was a Dave Sweet but he had a Dewey Weber at one time too.

The address was 17627 Bircher st in Granada Hills for those wondering.

Thanks for all the kind comments. I thought the photo just encapsulated all that early 60s California was.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I new cool change was from there. I wonder how many of y'all crossed paths with my dad?

I grew up at White Oak and Los Alimos. Grandma's house, where dad graduated highschool from, was Ruffner and Rinaldi

I bussed tables at Dominicks Pizza and Casa De Pizza early 70s

If he ever hung out at the mobil station or jack in the box about 71-74 probably did.....

or maybe he beat me up in a bar one night?

Last edited:

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Dad grad
If you ever hung out at the mobil station or jack in the box about 71-74 probably did.....

or maybe you beat me up in a bar one night?

Dad graduated from Granada, class of '69. He had a white '62 Impala. His brother had a '66 Chevelle, 327 4 speed car if I remember right. Their car club was Competition Inc. They had an apartment together across from Devonshire downs, between Lindley and Zelzah. I think they hung out at Bob's Big Boy a lot!

dave29

Reaction score
We had a 61 Ford Country Squire, in 61. We'd hang the boards out the back. Vintage1964. My brother and me. Notice the wet suit duck tails. Made at Cal Aquatics in Woodland Hills. Pre surf wet suits.

scan003_edited-3.jpeg

Last edited:

playdeep

Reaction score
View attachment 1014276

I've had this forever...Living in the desert I know nothing about Surfboards.
20210616_105015.jpg

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Dad grad

Dad graduated from Granada, class of '69. He had a white '62 Impala. His brother had a '66 Chevelle, 327 4 speed car if I remember right. Their car club was Competition Inc. They had an apartment together across from Devonshire downs, between Lindley and Zelzah. I think they hung out at Bob's Big Boy a lot!
Ya I knew your dad. Mike knew him also.
You’re uncles chevelle was “almost” brown. He got the paint on and it had a green cast, not rb brown. If I got my memory straight. Hung out with Bob Stein and Dave Kryzo.
Parts Terry

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Ya I knew your dad. Mike knew him also.
You’re uncles chevelle was “almost” brown. He got the paint on and it had a green cast, not rb brown. If I got my memory straight. Hung out with Bob Stein and Dave Kryzo.
Parts Terry

Yes Bob Stein, that's a name I've grown up hearing 👍👍