WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Putting A 72 Campbell back together

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Hello, I have been looking to purchase A Spectra or a Campbell.
The Spectra I have doubts about
There is a 1972, 20.5 ft Campbell I am interested in, All the interior has been removed. it is really is a 1971
All the interior is there and in good shape, Except the 455 olds engine.
The 455 needs to be rebuilt, No problem there.
i do wonder about the floating Floor.
Do all the Campbells in the 1972 ira have floating floors? it is really is a 1971
if so what holds them down?
I'm use to Flattys V-drive and Direct drive Ski boats
Thank you, paul
campbell2.jpg

Cambell 21ft.jpg

Attachments

• campbellseat.jpg
    campbellseat.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 325
  • campbellseat2.jpg
    campbellseat2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
All of the Campbell's I have seen have removable floors (false bottom), my family has owned 3
24, 28 & 32 footers. The floors are made of plywood screwed to the stringers.

I would ditch the 455 olds & go with a Chevy.

Good Choice on this Campbell!

Good Luck!

Brent

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Thanks Brent, I am going to check it out tomorrow Morn.
Then I will be able see what exhaust manifold it has .It has the 455 engine, it needs to be rebuilt.
Im not sure what I can use off of it yet. it wold be sweet to find a 454
oh yeah it has a Champion ACE V-drive, and all the running gear, new fuel Tanks
He wants 3,500 for it, it sounds like a good fall/winter project

Campbell3.jpg

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
If the gel coat & stringers are in good shape I think it's worth 3500.00.
IMO, try to ditch the Olds and find a BBC, may be more short term, but
Your Campbell will be worth more and you will be better off long term.

Good Luck!

Brent

Rickybobby

Reaction score
PJ
Check the condition of the bulkheads and the transom while the interior is out. If you do pick her up, think about moving the strut forward and beefing up the steering system to handle the new power.
Also what fuel tanks does she have??? From the pics she looks solid and a great place to start!!! Check in over at the Campbell Owners FB and the CBO website if you pull the trigger.

I should have a full write up on the recent regatta soon.
rb

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I would dig up a Chevy and run it before putting a penny into an Olds in a marine application.

......and I am a dedicated Mopar guy.

Brian

Last edited:

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Well what is the verdict ????? we need to know.....

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
" quote Check the condition of the bulkheads and the transom sticking out while the interior is out. If you do pick her up, think about moving the strut forward and beefing up the steering system to handle the new power.
Also what fuel tanks does she have??? From the pics she looks solid and a great place to start!!! Check in over at the Campbell Owners FB and the CBO website if you pull the trigger. "

I shuld have a full write up on the recent regatta soon.

You betcha, What a long day, But she's home , NICE BOAT It took 10 years but I got one.
After taking all The extra parts out of the truck and boat, Time to clean the inside out for Inspection .

those 12 x 2 Stringers are just about perfect, I'l have to plug the unwanted holes with wood dowels and seal them up.
The bulk heads are solid but stained from Champion V-d rive , The only soft spot was on the plywood floor just on the inside of galley LOL what a galley , Big enough for two sleeping bags and a ice Chest, Can't ask for more than that, oh yeah a full ice chest.
The Strut bushing end is about 6 ft from the stern, there is about 20 -24" of shaft and sticks out. I hate the thought of cutting the bilge out an moving the strut and log up. I'll have to think on that.
he keep the 455 engine and gave me lots of parts for a 454. Ya ho

Ok, Here we go on the extras
The fuel tanks are TWO 25 gallon saddle tanks, with new sending units
Two heads for 454, The ports are round
Aluminum Tunnel intake for 454
Champion V-Drive with mounts clean and sealed up
front and rear motor mounts ( Bell housing type)
full size adjustable CAV plate for a campbell
Nice Bimini top
Drive line with aluminum guard plate
Nicson Exhaust for 454
Smoke 6'' high winshield
Boat Cover
I think that's it.
now for some photos to start this project, It is to dark to get the inside of the boat.
There is a photo of the Velvet Drive but i thought it would be 72c but the tag says something else

Camp1.jpg
Camp3.jpg
camp.jpg

Attachments

• Camp2.jpg
    Camp2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,160
  • Camp4.jpg
    Camp4.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Look where the bow has a v plastic that holds the bow bottom.
i m thinking of moving it about 2ft back.

Last edited:

old rigger

Reaction score
Congrats, and that is the same one I was talking about. I remember the interior as well as the Olds. Looks like it went to the right guy. I wanted to keep the Olds, one of the greatest marine engines ever, but was interested in building a 425 instead of the 455. You can't beat a Chevy though, I just like the idea of the Olds. In that hull a rebuilt 455 will last another 46 years.
Can't wait to see what you do with her. Those are such great looking hulls.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
You cant be serious about the Olds OR, can you?

The oiling system and drainback is HORRIBLE. Nothing suitable for 3000+ sustained RPM, I tried twice.

Brian

Congrats, and that is the same one I was talking about. I remember the interior as well as the Olds. Looks like it went to the right guy. I wanted to keep the Olds, one of the greatest marine engines ever, but was interested in building a 425 instead of the 455. You can't beat a Chevy though, I just like the idea of the Olds. In that hull a rebuilt 455 will last another 46 years.
Can't wait to see what you do with her. Those are such great looking hulls.

old rigger

Reaction score
A much bigger concern than the V block on the trailer are the stringers where someone cut them down and left the grain exposed. All those sharp edges and that 90 degree cut should be rounded off and re-glassed. Just make sure you get dry clean wood before you apply resin.

old rigger

Reaction score
You cant be serious about the Olds OR, can you?

The oiling system and drainback is HORRIBLE. Nothing suitable for 3000+ sustained RPM, I tried twice.

Brian

I'm as serious as a heart attack. In the 70s the Olds was installed in boats 2 to 1 over the Chevys and in a stock application, like a Olds and Berkeley, it'll last forever. It's only when guys would start doing work on the pump and the Olds would turn the R's closer to 4500 and above is when problems arise. Rock solid casting, tons of torque, slightly lighter than a BBC and with the proper attention to the oiling system, great engines. Now I'm wishing I'd of bought this Campbell a few years ago just to run the Olds! lol

Actually in the back of my mind I though it'd be cool to run a 500 Cad in this boat. Tough to find exhaust manifolds though.

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
A new day with the old yellow school bus, LOL , thats what my wife said when I backed it up the drive way.(it looks like a school bus)

As for the stringer cut outs, they are sealed, I have no Idea why they are cut i will chamfer the edges and seal.
Now that I have a lot of important parts for a 454 there is no Turning to the dark side, LOL
Im not sure what the heads are but they have rounded ports.
In these photos you will see the bulk head glass strip is starting to pull away from wood, only at the top edge.
The transom looks great sealed and great shape
I love the hull edge and the transom change from 90 to a Chamfered edge, check out the photo
i guess i'll start with the Bulk head to bilge glass
There is lots of small plywood, I have no Idea where they go and what they do yet.
It will be like putting puzzle together.
It will be a week before I get back to the school bus
I have all fall and winter to do the school bus.

cam.jpg
cam3.jpg
cam5.jpg
cam6.jpg
cam4.jpg
cam1.jpg
cam2.jpg

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
A much bigger concern than the V block on the trailer are the stringers where someone cut them down and left the grain exposed. All those sharp edges and that 90 degree cut should be rounded off and re-glassed. Just make sure you get dry clean wood before you apply resin.
what about the v block?
the top of those two cut stringers are sealed, Ill Chamfer them and seal, along with all the holes i will pug with wooden dowles, sand and seal.

Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I am not sure why so many of these day cruisers went on trailers that supported the entire bow with that V-block or just a carpeted 4x4, my Spectra was the same way. We extended the bunk pads forward to help carry the boat and got rid of that keel support all together, to be honest I had to get rid of the keel support because we dropped the boat so low on the trailer I only have about a 1/2 inch gap where that block used to be. the picture of just the trailer you can see where the bunks stop, I added another upright and extended the inside bunks forward to where the boat used to rest on the keel.

Attachments

• spectra on new trailer.jpg
    spectra on new trailer.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 307
  • trailer with new axels.jpg
    trailer with new axels.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 309

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I like those extended bunks, I need to get on the glass work first, There is only a month left is outside temp i can do glass work.
I did winter glass work in the garage before,It was terrible, fibers everywhere, and the fumes was not good.
I looked up the heads I got, they are 85-89 454 truck heads. They look pretty good ,but ya know it hard to tell til ya take em apart.
i was looking at [email protected] marine engine builders. I can get a stock long block for ,3000 150 shipping, and no tax
I really do not know where to get a good 454 at a good price. I was hoping to find one for 1500, yeah Good luck.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Hello, day one prep, Found some 24 grit left over form the 90's, the last time R&R stringers.
And I said I would never do it again, just shows Never say Never,
I found more than the first inspection, the floor in the galley had a bad previous repair.
Someone cut a 8 X 16 floor out and only put one 4 X 6 backing to hold up replacement plywood.
I Cut out the bad section to the second Stinger to stringer, and forward 19".
I left 2" of plywood to bulkhead. I'll put 1x4 backing all around cut out replacement, then glass it in.
Just like Sheet rock patch.
I got the outside of the bulkhead prepped for glass.
A buddy has some kind of supper Matt from Texas, I'll know later when he brings it to me.
I only have 4hr to 5hr window for glass work, Fall is here ( 67 to 74 degrees)
I'll have to put heat lamps on the surface before i start.

campfl1.jpg campfl2.jpg campfl3.jpg

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Check out the stringer that has Campbell 20C-244G stamped on it, Cool.
I was grinding the glass from the Bulkhead to the galley floor, and there was a penny heads up, 1971 S covered up by the glass.
The penny is the same year the boat was built
in there.
stringer.jpg

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Hello, I'ts almost time for tabbing.
Last time I did a bulkhead and stringers I used Matt then cloth.
This project I'm thinking of just using 1708 for tabbing.
All I plan to work on is tabbing top of stringers,and Bulkhead around hull, stingers.
Any input to this plan?

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Well it has been a while, here is the new update progress
After 3 days of grinding A trip to Taps Plastics in Sacramento that was the closes place to get 1708 Matt/cloth, and Rocklin for West system 105 Epoxy and 206 Hardener
I got to do some glassing sat and sun, 1/2 the boat is done, the rest of it is the easy part.
next will be 9 ft of 6" roll of matt, and and 9 ft of 6# cloth roll capping the top all four Stringers
Then the next plan after that will be laying down 9 ft X 23" of 1708 on the hull covering it from inside stringer to stringer.
I have a 6" x 10" T8--1/4" Aluminum plate to install over the Strut bolts, I'll have to build up the center so the plate will lay flat.
There is the storm coming in causing me to build a 1/2" PVC cover so I can do the glassing and keep the tree droppings off the fresh Glass,
plus at night the heat lamps keep it 73 degrees at night, with outside Ambient temp 52-53.
glassing1.jpg glassing2.jpg glassing.jpg

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Back again, Glassing is OVER.
There was small air bubbles the size of a pencil or smaller that would not come out.
I tried the roller, a squeeGee, the plastic bondo mud spreader worked the best.
This was the 6ft X 23" in the center bilge area.
Time to out her together, Waiting for two belly tanks.
Now I have a Question,
I received this boat in Pieces, so where does the incoming 3" vent hose go?
to the hull and Bilge area or the center Bilge area, i know the Exit vent hose comes from the hull bilge area.
With Four Stringers It has three areas to vent. the second bilge area is just Dead space.
campfl4.jpg campfl6.jpg campfl5.jpg

Attachments

• campfl7.jpg
    campfl7.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
The V-drive and Shaft strut installed.
The shaft lines up nice.
Does any body know if Longer Prop shafts have more allowable Runout?
I have always known prop shaft runouts to be 3-5 Thousands max, I have 10 thousands on a 78 3/8" shaft, Opps
campfl11.jpg
campfl12.jpg
campfl13.jpg
campfl14.jpg

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I'll be dammed, I got The Shaft straighten by using the truck trailer hitch to 0.004
It took 3 hours, But gotter done.

dave29

Reaction score
" quote Check the condition of the bulkheads and the transom sticking out while the interior is out. If you do pick her up, think about moving the strut forward and beefing up the steering system to handle the new power.
Also what fuel tanks does she have??? From the pics she looks solid and a great place to start!!! Check in over at the Campbell Owners FB and the CBO website if you pull the trigger. "

I shuld have a full write up on the recent regatta soon.

You betcha, What a long day, But she's home , NICE BOAT It took 10 years but I got one.
After taking all The extra parts out of the truck and boat, Time to clean the inside out for Inspection .

those 12 x 2 Stringers are just about perfect, I'l have to plug the unwanted holes with wood dowels and seal them up.
The bulk heads are solid but stained from Champion V-d rive , The only soft spot was on the plywood floor just on the inside of galley LOL what a galley , Big enough for two sleeping bags and a ice Chest, Can't ask for more than that, oh yeah a full ice chest.
There is a few small spider web cracks where the bulk heads rest against hull. not bad.
The Strut bushing end is about 6 ft from the stern, there is about 20 -24" of shaft and sticks out. I hate the thought of cutting the bilge out an moving the strut and log up. I'll have to think on that.
he keep the 455 engine and gave me lots of parts for a 454. Ya ho

Ok, Here we go on the extras
The fuel tanks are TWO 25 gallon saddle tanks, with new sending units
Two heads for 454, The ports are round
Aluminum Tunnel intake for 454
Champion V-Drive with mounts clean and sealed up
front and rear motor mounts ( Bell housing type)
full size adjustable CAV plate for a campbell
Nice Bimini top
Drive line with aluminum guard plate
Nicson Exhaust for 454
Smoke 6'' high winshield
Boat Cover
I think that's it.
now for some photos to start this project, It is to dark to get the inside of the boat.
There is a photo of the Velvet Drive but i thought it would be 72c but the tag says something else

View attachment 683870 View attachment 683871 View attachment 683872 View attachment 683873
Had 3 Campbell's. Last one I had built at Eliminator when Ralph Tito owned the company. Had them move the strut forward to lift and carry the bow. HUGE difference in how the boat rode and handled.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I don't think I can move the strut forward.
The Vdrive is against the bulkhead,
And it is angled to where the strut is.
I just got threw reglassing the hull bottom, I rather just leave it alone.
I have enough glassing.
Thanks for the Idea, PJ

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Well it has been a week or so, Got the side panels , floor and rear seats in to check out the line up.
Then seal them.
While Waiting for the belly tanks, the Upholstery needs to be installed, and the floor angle Aluminium needs to be mounted.
bell4.jpg

campfl15.jpg

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
The Upholstery is all done except the engine cover and that can't be done till i find an Engine and gas tanks.
There is a 454 and a tubo 400 trans from a RV cheep, but really looking for a marine engine. one will turn up this winter.
campfl16.jpg

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
The floor angle Aluminum framing is complete.
Just was on the phone with someone that has a 454 from a stevens flatty, then I could set up the drive line and motor mounts.
campfl17.jpg campfl18.jpg

Blouder

Reaction score
Paul the boat looks great. It clearly went to the right guy. Keep up the great work.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Thanks blouder, It has been enjoyable working on this project.
I found an 454 out of a flatty, I'm going to check out tomorrow
Does anyone if there is a outlet Flange to , the passages in the rear of this 72C velvet drive?
it came with the campbell the way you see it with that cone looking cover.
72c.jpg
72C1.jpg

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Doing great work there mr. Hope to see it in the water soon??

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
thanks, I might have to cut the floor in two, The middle stringer is 1/8" high.
the floor is getting sealed, now. and west systems does not flex much.

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
The engine cover will have to be raised up to clear the 6" hurricane intake, and carb scoop.
The two fuel tanks for below deck should arrive by Christmas.
I may have to sell that 72C tranny, it is for a reduction gear set up.
I'd like to find a 400 trubo, or a slip and slide Power glide.
campfl20.jpg

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Well I have to apologize for having two post of similar content, one here and the other one
looking for 1971 20.5ft Campbell floor Original layout.
I do not know how to combine them together.
Here we go,
The floor is done except for the center, I haven't decided if it will be oval raised or squared off for tranny.
All the seats are done except final adjustments.
All the final adjustments will be done after Cav plate and engine is instaled.
Cav plate first, then I'll have to wait till after my hip replacement march or april.
The engine is all flushed and sealed awaiting for march, Hopefully sooner.
the last Item will be a teak wood over the floor

bell2.jpg
bell3.jpg
bell1.jpg
bell.jpg

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
The New Year rang in with my new fuel tanks at a Great price of $ 982, no tax from FMT Florida Marine Tanks
Perfect fit , now to cut up some bulkheads for them.
tank.jpg
tank2.jpg
tank3.jpg
tank4.jpg
tank5.jpg

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I have the tanks Neoprene pads installation and rear Bulkheads build and installation in the
Boat Restorations and Upgrades Forum under,
25 Gallon Fuel Tanks Mounted Below Deck.
I sent a message to Dave to see if he, or someone could combine the two and put it in the Boat Restorations and Upgrades Forum
Its seems to me that this project is more to due with Boat Restorations than the Campbell forums.
tanka.jpg
tanka1.jpg
tanka2.jpg
tanka5.jpg

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
She's ready to button the floor in, except the Electrical PVC pipe, And Transmission.
On these Campbell's does the floor get screwed to the hull side ledge or does it just float unattached to hull side edge?

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Most were just screwed to the floor. Some have come up with clever ways to install the floors.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Thanks, I planed to attach the floor to the hull edge runner, But then i thought I'd recreate the wheel. LOL
No, but it was close to beating a dead dog through.
Just trying to make sense of this
If the floor is to have 1/8" to 1/4" gap to the hull side runner for flex, then screwing the floor to the hull side runner would be the opposite.
Direct contact is direct contact, no movement for flex.

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Here is the 1971 Penney I found in the Bulkhead while grinding.
I reset it with epoxy into the Bulkhead.
Here is and update on Project.
The Belly tanks are in, The floor is just laying on Stringers.

The Boat is basically on hold, My hip His Really Acting up with sever pain getting in and out and kneeling, hip replacement is march.

I primed the Engine for 20 minutes, two 10 minutes sessions ( got 50 psi), Thought my Drill was going to burn up, I tried my air drill but it was not strong enough.
Now that the engine is primed I can drain the oil , my chain saw will have 14 gallons of oil for next summer. LOL
Flip the engine over and pull the pan, so i can repair the pan dip stick hole.

Attachments

• penney.jpg
    penney.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 856
  • pan.jpg
    pan.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 855
  • pan2.jpg
    pan2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 873
Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I have a Question, On my 71 20.5 ft Campbell
Does anybody know what the round chrome item is on the outside of the transom below the Back up light?
It has wires to it.

cav1.jpg

Maestro

Reaction score
That is a bulk fittitting for a wter dump/discharge. Most likely had a bilge pump hose running to it.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I have a Question, On my 71 20.5 ft Campbell
Does anybody know what the round chrome item is on the outside of the transom below the Back up light?
It has wires to it.

View attachment 729381
Well... If that's a backup light, I would guess that's a trailer light receptacle.
Sorry couldn't help it...

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I knew that back up light would get response. LOL
Dennis I don't think it is a water dump/discharge.
There is no hole on the inside just a black wire and some sort of white material on the inside that looks like a wire should connect to it
This is the best photo i have
chrome thing.jpg

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Yea, a back up sensor alarm LOL
If it was standard Campbell equipment
Someone that has a old Campbell would know