WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Putting our Dingy together:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I asked around what's a good inflatable that will give me the least problems?
Redskin and everyone I know with inflatables told me for the small ones it's Achilles.
I got online and everyone concurred. "Spend the extra $$ you won't regret it."

So I got the best price I could find online, and was able to beat it at a shop in Ventura Harbor. Crack heads inflatables.
It came in a small box, but was straight forward in inflation and set-up.
Researching, I found the more you spend on a Dingy,, the better quality, conveniences and features they have. Ya really get what you pay for IMHO.

It was tempting to spend the $600 on the cheap-o Avon,, but owners all mentioned if ya have the extra cash, put in in the dingy and skimp on the motor size if you have to.
They all make quality BIG inflatables,, the only good small inflatable is Achilles" I heard over and over again.

It came in a bag-in-a-box:
dingyset-up004.jpg

Inflated to 3 psi with the electric pump in a few minutes, I topped off the 8 psi "high pressure" floor with a really quality foot pump that came with it.

I was blindsided that putting your CF numbers on and sticker is a PITA with Hypalon fabric. Hypalon is like Teflon, nothing sticks to it.
The license plate kinda dealio people have been using has been banned by Homeland Security I was told over and over again.
Damfino that's what "they" told me.

So I got back online and found a few old jaspers back east that had some tips that really came in handy.
"Ya use the Krylon Fusion Paint, stencils, but skuff the area gently first with some fine emery cloth, clean with Acetone, then most important of all, spray the Fusion type paint on super thin. Thick it will loose it's adhesion,, the trick is good prep, and a thin coat of paint, let it dry hard for 24 hours"

I ordered a stencil online with our CF numbers.

Had to use a special resin to glue on our CF sticker holder.
Took over a day to set.
dingyset-up005.jpg

dingyset-up006.jpg

I searched outboard motors.
I wanted something that was lightweight and powerful.
The wife insisted it be quiet.

The biggest complaint with the Suzuki 6 HP which for 2011 is also the Yamama 6HP is they are noisy. LOUD we hear.

So the Tohatsu 6HP 4 stroke took the nod beause is is way quieter,, and way way cheaper.
I ordered it blind online after I seached a bit, and a place in Tenn had a one day sale if ya buy the Nissan version. It was $200 cheaper than the exact-same Tohatsu ($580 cheaper than the Zuki and Yamaha), free shipping, no sales tax, and it come complete ready to run. Gastank and line, tool kit, extra parts,, all ya do is add the oil.

I jumped on it and it arrived a couple days later.
dingyset-up001-1.jpg

So I needed to build a stand to service and run the outboard on.
Maynard hadn't used his backyard Fort in a few years, and he said fine, convert it into a Outboard motor running stand:
dingyset-up007.jpg

The remains of Maynards fort. ^
Turned into an outboard running stand:
dingyset-up009.jpg

Then the kids added some paint and decals:
dingyset-up001.jpg

Hung the outboard and added the 15oz of oil to the crank:
dingyset-up002.jpg

dingyset-up004-1.jpg

Then, first time start-up:

[video=youtube;H6ZzIimhpKo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ZzIimhpKo[/video]

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm loving the dingy!! Is that so you have your own ship to shore at Catalina? Or will you still use the ferries?

RD

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Zodiac's were da chit back in the day. Where do they stand today??

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I'm loving the dingy!! Is that so you have your own ship to shore at Catalina? Or will you still use the ferries?

RD
We like the back island coves where their is no shore boat. This will be like a golf cart at the river to get to the bars, gas pumps and store.

You are the man. My house isn't that nice. :champagne:
:thumbsup
Zodiac's were da chit back in the day. Where do they stand today??
The big over 10 ft Zodiacs are the shit, killer workmanship,, the little one have complaints of leaks right out of the box.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Gotcha. That little thing looks like fun. I predict more than one drunk night ride in it! :D

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score
Is the nav light bulit on? or did you add it? if so where did you get it? we have a 11ft inflatible with a hard floor and a 10hp merc that we love to use around the marina and catalina, but it stinks at night especially in the darker coves like cat harbor with no lighting.