WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

PVC Shiplap

Icky

Reaction score
I want to use PVC shiplap on the ceiling of my patio cover, except no one carries it. Ordered a sample from royal building products and both Lowe's and home depot are listed as suppliers, but to order it , I would have to buy a "lot" of it. I only need 600sq, not 25k worth or product. Anyone know where I can buy this stuff or something comparable?? I wanted so it was maintenance free, didn't need to be painted, etc. I'm at the point that I'm over it and just going to put wood up that I won't be happy with.
20200201_130951.jpg
20200201_131018.jpg

wzuber

Reaction score
I want to use PVC shiplap on the ceiling of my patio cover, except no one carries it. Ordered a sample from royal building products and both Lowe's and home depot are listed as suppliers, but to order it , I would have to buy a "lot" of it. I only need 600sq, not 25k worth or product. Anyone know where I can buy this stuff or something comparable?? I wanted so it was maintenance free, didn't need to be painted, etc. I'm at the point that I'm over it and just going to put wood up that I won't be happy with.
View attachment 840955 View attachment 840956
Email the company and ask for a local stocking dealer, also tell them the box store scenario. Maybe they will make an adjustment or tie it in with other product order? Interesting looking product, how heavy is it? Where have you seen it being used?

Icky

Reaction score
Email the company and ask for a local stocking dealer, also tell them the box store scenario. Maybe they will make an adjustment or tie it in with other product order? Interesting looking product, how heavy is it? Where have you seen it being used?
I keep meaning to call them during the week, works been so busy lately I keep forgetting. I've emailed them twice, I'll try to call next week.

I've never seen it used before, I just know I dont like wood after it splits and cracks etc so I was hoping to avoid that.

wzuber

Reaction score
I keep meaning to call them during the week, works been so busy lately I keep forgetting. I've emailed them twice, I'll try to call next week.

I've never seen it used before, I just know I dont like wood after it splits and cracks etc so I was hoping to avoid that.
I understand your reluctance to wood for sure. How much lock engagement does that tongue have? Seems if it shrinks much it may become loose and possibly sag if only nailed blind? Is this product relatively new to the market? I imagine it would look clean installed be easy to hose off and essentially maint. free.

DC-88

Reaction score
Search “Boral” or start with this link for more of the composite pvc and fly ash products under their umbrella of companies . We’ve used some of these products in lieu of concrete in a few instances , along with the more common brands like Azek. Try ordering whichever you choose from a real lumberyard that sells it , or better yet get a buddy with an account at one to order some on his account so you can get a discount and cheaper delivery . Most of these products are not fun to handle or load on your truck in long lengths .

https://truexterior.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
What about gluing and blind nailing waterproof vinyl flooring to a plywood substrate ?

Nordie

Reaction score
What about Azek? No matter what they are all pricey

Icky

Reaction score
I understand your reluctance to wood for sure. How much lock engagement does that tongue have? Seems if it shrinks much it may become loose and possibly sag if only nailed blind? Is this product relatively new to the market? I imagine it would look clean installed be easy to hose off and essentially maint. free.
I don't think it's a new product. The blind nailing thing is another thing I'll need to overcome, maybe i'll cut the sample they sent me in half and figure that out. I can probably use my pocket jig and screw it from the top, the last one will have to be held up by a hopes and prayers.

What about gluing and blind nailing waterproof vinyl flooring to a plywood substrate ?
I thought about this, but my rafters are on 24" centers, I think it will sag don't you?

Search “Boral” or start with this link for more of the composite pvc and fly ash products under their umbrella of companies . We’ve used some of these products in lieu of concrete in a few instances , along with the more common brands like Azek. Try ordering whichever you choose from a real lumberyard that sells it , or better yet get a buddy with an account at one to order some on his account so you can get a discount and cheaper delivery . Most of these products are not fun to handle or load on your truck in long lengths .

https://truexterior.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about Azek? No matter what they are all pricey

Looks like Ganahl carries their products, I'll have to find time to stop by one and see if they can order it.

Nordie

Reaction score
I don't think it's a new product. The blind nailing thing is another thing I'll need to overcome, maybe i'll cut the sample they sent me in half and figure that out. I can probably use my pocket jig and screw it from the top, the last one will have to be held up by a hopes and prayers.

I thought about this, but my rafters are on 24" centers, I think it will sag don't you?

Looks like Ganahl carries their products, I'll have to find time to stop by one and see if they can order it.

Is there anyway you have the tools to just buy the panels you need and convert it to ship lap? A dado stack in a tablesaw will make the lap, and a planer will get you the thickness. You really treat this stuff like wood but it's plastic...

Icky

Reaction score
Is there anyway you have the tools to just buy the panels you need and convert it to ship lap? A dado stack in a tablesaw will make the lap, and a planer will get you the thickness. You really treat this stuff like wood but it's plastic...
I hadn't thought of that, I can bring home one of our router tables and make a huge mess =) If I don't have it I'll borrow or buy what I need ( she loves when I buy new tools )

I think I'll try Ganahl first cause I'd rather buy in 16' lengths so I have no joints

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I did shiplap in my living room, white washed and cleared it. The clear has yellowed over the years. Bad idea.

Did it in my patio with just the whitewash and painted the beams semi gloss white. So far it's holding up fine!

termiteguy

Reaction score
With 2 foot centers most non wood products will most likely sag to may have to add rafters to prevent it from happening. I used trex like material in my deck at 16 inch center and can see a slight sag wish I had framed it 12 inch.