WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

PWC accident Bullhead

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
KINGMAN – A 7-year-old girl was critically injured when she was struck by a jet ski on Saturday, April 3 on the Colorado River, and as of Monday was still being treated for her injuries.
The Bullhead City Police Department wrote on its Facebook page that the incident occurred at approximately 5:20 p.m. Saturday. Emergency crews headed to the area after receiving a report of a watercraft accident where a jet ski operator had lost control and struck a mother and her two daughters, ages 7 and 12, who were wading in the water.
The 7-year-old girl was airlifted to a Las Vegas hospital and was still being treated for her injuries as of Monday, April 5. The 12-year-old girl and the mother were treated at Western Arizona Regional Medical Center.
Bullhead police wrote that the accident is still under investigation, however, the operator of the jet ski was cooperative with police and consented to a blood draw. The jet ski reportedly stalled and the operator tried to avoid hitting the family, but was unable to control the vessel.
The family is from Las Vegas and was visiting for the holiday weekend.
Information provided by the Bullhead City Police Department
DonateReport a TypoContact

Most

Mototrig

Reaction score
It's absolutely gut wrenching when I read things like this that involve little children. I've seen my share of child incidents from my time in search and rescue. And like most of you at one point or another I have small children. Heart breaking.

Prayers to the little girl and her family ❤️

Rye

Reaction score
Sad, hope she makes a full recovery.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Even if he lost motor and steering, he was still to close to anybody wading.

Happened @ Davis Camp. I am shocked it does Not happen every Weekend. People wade way out in the River and the PWC' are Clueless. A receipe for Sadness.

johnnyC

Reaction score
i wont even go up there in my boat, too stressful with all the idiot's there.... asking for a accident

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
More importantly, no power, no steering.

Yeah I almost pointed that out too, but then I felt someone was going to call me out for saying it when the OP said the engine "stalled" which would mean it was coasting. Though I have never had an engine stall while cruising around so that part of the story has a bad smell to it.

76sanger

Reaction score
So sorry to here this, I hope the little girl makes a full recovery!
Two things here, what the F@#k is the person riding so close to people for? And a jet ski stalled? I have never seen a jet ski just stall, this idiot somehow fu@#ed up and pulled the kill switch out and is trying to say the machine stalled. This piece of crap should be prosecuted!

Taboma

Reaction score
Yeah I almost pointed that out too, but then I felt someone was going to call me out for saying it when the OP said the engine "stalled" which would mean it was coasting. Though I have never had an engine stall while cruising around so that part of the story has a bad smell to it.

Not sure about the stall, could be dummy out of gas ? Ski that won't idle ?
But I do know, for newbies using the throttle to avoid an accident goes against their natural tendency to simply release it and hold on frozen in terror.
I know many new skis I've checked out seem to be coming with brakes and the ability to off-throttle turn now, AKA Safety Nannies. 😖

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Yes,we have several SeaDoos that have that feature of a brake handle. Essentially it just shuts the reverse gate. While it does work, its still not stopping on a dime.

Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Not sure about the stall, could be dummy out of gas ? Ski that won't idle ?
But I do know, for newbies using the throttle to avoid an accident goes against their natural tendency to simply release it and hold on frozen in terror.
I know many new skis I've checked out seem to be coming with brakes and the ability to off-throttle turn now, AKA Safety Nannies. 😖

How do they do the steering?

havasuhusker

Reaction score
I hope the little one pulls through. Hate hearing things like this :(

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
So sorry to here this, I hope the little girl makes a full recovery!
Two things here, what the F@#k is the person riding so close to people for? And a jet ski stalled? I have never seen a jet ski just stall, this idiot somehow fu@#ed up and pulled the kill switch out and is trying to say the machine stalled. This piece of crap should be prosecuted!
That is my thought also. Inexperience driver is heading towards these people and panics and shuts the ski down, left off the throttle, pulled kill switch or something along those lines.

Best wishes to the young girl. I can not imagine seeing something like this happen to your child at any age.

Taboma

Reaction score
How do they do the steering?

They're putting nozzle skegs to allow some no-thrust steering (Like some jetboats) and I know Sea Doo has emergency braking now, might allow some steerage as well.
I know the new models incorporate a lot of "Emergency" safety features. Sea Doo's design extends the sponsons if I recall to create braking and off throttle control.
Yamaha might be using something similar now, hard to keep up.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
The Watercraft Renters, for the Most Part are a first user on any thing water related. They are required to watch a 5 minute Dealio, but these Kids Minds are Not on Watercraft safety.
On the other Hand when you wade out to Neck Deep water, it is what it is. The "Reach" of the River @ BHC is and has been Out Of Control for way to long. The City, should Never have allowed over a Dozen PWC Rentals Businesses to operate. They Clog the Ramps, cause Traffic nightmare On and Of the Water. The Most Stupid Business Plan I have ever seen. The weekensa are Glat SAD and a " Cluster" Accident waiting.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Though I have never had an engine stall while cruising around so that part of the story has a bad smell to it.
A PWC stalling sounds unlikely to me too.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but IMO what I'm about to say is just one possibility. The jet skier may have ventured too close to shore and when he saw the people in front of him he let off the throttle. In a panic he couldn't think clearly but subconsciously figured giving it throttle was a bad thing while heading towards danger, as we all know it takes throttle to turn in a jet. Panicking the rider is turning the bars but his brain wouldn't let him think clear enough to hit the gas to turn. And the inevitable collision happens.
Fear does weird things to people.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I was in a narrow backwater channel years ago below Lake Martinez in a little tin boat cruising on the AZ side.
We heard PWC's coming our way but couldn't see them, they got closer and closer and realized they were hauling ass!
Luckily we didn't meet at a blind corner or We would've been fucked.
They barely saw us just in time to slow down, but we were almost ready to dive into the tullies.
I had such an adrenaline dump that I couldn't even get pissed till they were well passed us . . . but damn that was scary.
I keep my head on a swivel now whenever I see those things.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Since we are theorizing- ever see the douch-bags on PWC's that try and "spray" their buddies by coming in hot and then cranking a hard turn (like a water ski cut) thinking this is just loads of fun, not saying this was the case here but it wouldn't surprise me, I've seen this stupid move more than once and I am sure I will see it again.